Leadership...

BlakeSpenceBlockedPunt

One of the major issues I've seen with our team since the end of the 2010 season has been the lack of player leadership establishing a culture of how the team operates.  The head coach sets a certain tone but the players also need to establish a code of expectations, etc.  You hear about the culture of many of the winning organizations (Green Bay, New England, Pittsburgh, NY Giants, Ravens) and I feel it starts with a solid head coach but also veteran players reinforcing a standard of performance.  Those teams have players and enforce behaviors that are conducive to winning.  I was hoping this issue would improve now that Rex is gone...and I'm concerned that we're seeing the same things.

Geno gets punched in the face.  It seems the team is divided in the story they're telling.  The cohesion on the team seems to have taken a big hit.  And yet no one is really stepping up to bring everyone together and lead from a player perspective.

I like what I'm seeing and hearing about Bowles.  He's pushing these guys hard.  However, I'm a bit disappointed that no player has stepped up and taken charge to unify the team.  Mangold, Revis, D'Brick, Harris all have the credentials to do so yet they are not out in front vocally setting the tone.  Regardless of the side you're on it doesn't matter.  For us to win we have to be united...and it needs to come from the players.  You can't have the newest guy on the team (Marshall) being the only vocal one about it.  He doesn't have the tenure or the reputation to do it.  It's got to come from a long tenured guy...and yet we're not getting it.  Very disappointing.

Why we can't solve this issue continues to confound me...

One of the major issues I've seen with our team since the end of the 2010 season has been the lack of player leadership establishing a culture of how the team operates.  The head coach sets a certain tone but the players also need to establish a code of expectations, etc.  You hear about the culture of many of the winning organizations (Green Bay, New England, Pittsburgh, NY Giants, Ravens) and I feel it starts with a solid head coach but also veteran players reinforcing a standard of performance.  Those teams have players and enforce behaviors that are conducive to winning.  I was hoping this issue would improve now that Rex is gone...and I'm concerned that we're seeing the same things.

Geno gets punched in the face.  It seems the team is divided in the story they're telling.  The cohesion on the team seems to have taken a big hit.  And yet no one is really stepping up to bring everyone together and lead from a player perspective.

I like what I'm seeing and hearing about Bowles.  He's pushing these guys hard.  However, I'm a bit disappointed that no player has stepped up and taken charge to unify the team.  Mangold, Revis, D'Brick, Harris all have the credentials to do so yet they are not out in front vocally setting the tone.  Regardless of the side you're on it doesn't matter.  For us to win we have to be united...and it needs to come from the players.  You can't have the newest guy on the team (Marshall) being the only vocal one about it.  He doesn't have the tenure or the reputation to do it.  It's got to come from a long tenured guy...and yet we're not getting it.  Very disappointing.

Losing teams and organizations all have this problem. Winning solves a lot of those problems and when the team starts winning, players will step up into leadership roles. When you are losing no one wants to step up and be the face of that.

Losing teams and organizations all have this problem. Winning solves a lot of those problems and when the team starts winning, players will step up into leadership roles. When you are losing no one wants to step up and be the face of that.

New regime.  New season.  New influx of talent and optimism.  We haven't lost yet.  New opportunity for players to step up.  This situation presented the perfect opportunity...

True.  It doesnt seem to be as present as it did during 09-10.  But we dont know what happens behind closed doors.  We only get to see what the media wants us to see.

I have a hard time believing a very vocal opinionated leader like Demario Davis is just sitting on his hands and not trying to rally the troops.

Who is that person on offense?  I have no idea.

And some guys just arent wired that way.  They're a great individual contributor but stepping up as a vocal leader isnt their bag.  We might have a team of those...but I doubt it.  We just dont get to see it.

True.  It doesnt seem to be as present as it did during 09-10.  But we dont know what happens behind closed doors.  We only get to see what the media wants us to see.

I have a hard time believing a very vocal opinionated leader like Demario Davis is just sitting on his hands and not trying to rally the troops.

Who is that person on offense?  I have no idea.

And some guys just arent wired that way.  They're a great individual contributor but stepping up as a vocal leader isnt their bag.  We might have a team of those...but I doubt it.  We just dont get to see it.

Excellent point.  Most of the "locker room leader" types we see in the media wind up going on TV afterwards (Ray Lewis, Cris Carter, John Lynch, etc.).  We don't totally know what kind of leadership exists in the locker room and the guys we see who like microphones such as Colon and Marshall either are marginal players or have been on the team for a short time. Revis for sure could have been the guy if he didn't Mevis his way out for a couple of years

Excellent point.  Most of the "locker room leader" types we see in the media wind up going on TV afterwards (Ray Lewis, Cris Carter, John Lynch, etc.).  We don't totally know what kind of leadership exists in the locker room and the guys we see who like microphones such as Colon and Marshall either are marginal players or have been on the team for a short time. Revis for sure could have been the guy if he didn't Mevis his way out for a couple of years

Yep.  And there is different type of leaders.  The lead by example guys who are always on time, always focused, take practice serious, extra time in the weight room but they might not all be rah rah rah!  I think Harris probably falls in that category.  Then you got guys like Marshall who like to hear themselves talk.  Or Davis who is a firy in your face type of leader and will probably be in the middle of the circle before a game.  For some reason, those guys are glorified while the silent lead by example types, you'll never know. 

Yep.  And there is different type of leaders.  The lead by example guys who are always on time, always focused, take practice serious, extra time in the weight room but they might not all be rah rah rah!  I think Harris probably falls in that category.  Then you got guys like Marshall who like to hear themselves talk.  Or Davis who is a firy in your face type of leader and will probably be in the middle of the circle before a game.  For some reason, those guys are glorified while the silent lead by example types, you'll never know. 

What do they say about the squeaky wheel?

I agree with your points 110%.

I was in a Leadership class last month and that was a topic of discussion whether leaders are born or made.

I tend to lean towards the latter believing the environment helps develop these skills.  Some people do have the natural ability to lead, but more often then not it is cultivated and grown.  IMHO.

There's no other professional sport where coaching matters as much as in the NFL.  Same can be said for the morale of the team.  Farve used to talk all the time about how vital it is that a team have great camaraderie.  That being together and unified can overcome many warts.

I just don't see this team really coming together.  There's something about the personalities of this team...

I think this is totally overblown in the NFL. This isn't high school football and these are grown men who know what to do and how to behave.

It's not a leadership issue it's a QB issue.

I totally agree, these are men not 7th grade football where the kid has to be told focus focus focus.  These guys need to grow a pair and start acting and behaving like men and all will fall into place.

What exactly do you want them to say? When players go out of their way to talk we chastize them aka Colon. I think this is some of the Rexism left over. I'm totally fine with guys leading by example. Blue collar, lunch pail type players who lead through work ethic and approach to the game are just fine for me. None of this matters if we are winning games anyway. I agree with those saying the only leadership we see as fans is media made. Eh well soon find out.

Alex Smith was a free agent a few years back and this franchize never bid for him.  Teddy Bridgewater was draftable but this franchize went for Calvin Pryor instead.  

Teams w/o a franchize type QB can't win.  Someone like Rex was able to lead via bluster for his first two years but that wears thin.  

Leaders need their followers to believe and w/o a QB they can't.  These guys are professionals and they know what you need to win in the NFL.  

If we had Alex or Teddy then good leaders would emerge.  Let's pray Mac and Bowles get this and get us a QB.

couldn't be more correct

I think this is totally overblown in the NFL. This isn't high school football and these are grown men who know what to do and how to behave.

It's not a leadership issue it's a QB issue.

I hear you but we have soldiers in the field who need sergeants to lead them and most manufacturing businesses have lead operators with experience to guide the crew.  There has always been a need for that middle level of leadership between management/officers/coaches and the grown men who are soldiers/workers/professional athletes.  I think the point is it's not clear there is a sergeant in the Jet locker room right now.  Because if there was one, they would have never let this Geno/IK stupidity last as long as it did.

I hear you but we have soldiers in the field who need sergeants to lead them and most manufacturing businesses have lead operators with experience to guide the crew.  There has always been a need for that middle level of leadership between management/officers/coaches and the grown men who are soldiers/workers/professional athletes.  I think the point is it's not clear there is a sergeant in the Jet locker room right now.  Because if there was one, they would have never let this Geno/IK stupidity last as long as it did.

when you look at the alleged "great leaders" of recent memory none of them really won anything without a franchise QB.   

You don't hear about the Packers having a great leader, they just have Aaron Rodgers.   These are grown ass men, most of them between 25-35 with wives and kids.   This isn't "All the Right Moves" playing for a scholarship and a way out of the coal mine.   These guys are paid millions of dollars to be professionals.  

It's easy to blame lack of leadership but really it comes down to QB play in today's NFL.    

Archived