Fitzpatrick fans read this.

joewilly12

How bad is the bearded one? The Jets are Fitzpatrick’s fourth team in four years. If he stays healthy enough to start the Jets’ season opener Sept. 13 against the Browns, they will be the sixth team for which he starts. He has started 89 games in 10 seasons — he is 33-55-1 — and not one of his teams has ever made the playoffs. The good news is that means he should fit in just fine with the Jets.

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How bad is the bearded one? The Jets are Fitzpatrick’s fourth team in four years. If he stays healthy enough to start the Jets’ season opener Sept. 13 against the Browns, they will be the sixth team for which he starts. He has started 89 games in 10 seasons — he is 33-55-1 — and not one of his teams has ever made the playoffs. The good news is that means he should fit in just fine with the Jets.

I presented this fact not to long ago but a little different. 

Fitz has started for 5 different teams, and he hasnt produced a winning record with any of them (Not even talking playoffs here lol). Thats the worst stat for a QB starting for as many teams since the NFL merger back in 1970. Fitz owns that one all by himself. lol. 

This is all regurgitated material that has been on these boards previously.  A simple glance at a W-L record does not effectively refute the statement that Ryan Fitzpatrick was our best option.  Not a great option, not even a good option, but our best option.  He's a professional who can command a huddle, and in 80+ games in his career, offenses led by Fitz have put up 21+ points.  WR's like Kendall Wright and Stevie Johnson have had great seasons playing with him, then disappeared after he left to be the starter/spot starter for other squads. 

That's a QB who has by and large done his job and been an effective starter when asked to be.  The same cannot be said about Geno Smith.

This is all regurgitated material that has been on these boards previously.  A simple glance at a W-L record does not effectively refute the statement that Ryan Fitzpatrick was our best option.  Not a great option, not even a good option, but our best option.  He's a professional who can command a huddle, and in 80+ games in his career, offenses led by Fitz have put up 21+ points.  That's a QB who has by and large done his job and been an effective starter when asked to be.  The same cannot be said about Geno Smith.

The fact that Geno was still a somewhat unknown commodity made Geno our best option. 10 years in the league starting for 5 different teams solidifies you for being what your record says you are. Geno won 8 games his rookie year, Fitz hasnt won 8 games in a season his entire career....not even 7.

A simple glance at a record doesnt effectively refute anything, you're right. However, a detailed look does. 

The fact that Geno was still a somewhat unknown commodity made Geno out best option. 10 years in the league starting for 5 different teams solidifies you for being what your record says you are. Geno won 8 games his rookie year, Fitz hasnt won 8 games in a season in his entire career.

A simple glance at a record doesnt effectively refute, you're right. However, a detailed look does.

Problem with this logic is that geno still has potential upside to grow as a player (which all the camp reports claimed was happening) while fitz may have already peaked as a player

The fact that Geno was still a somewhat unknown commodity made Geno out best option. 10 years in the league starting for 5 different teams solidifies you for being what your record says you are. Geno won 8 games his rookie year, Fitz hasnt won 8 games in a season in his entire career. 

A simple glance at a record doesnt effectively refute, you're right. However, a detailed look does. 

Did you take a "detailed look" at Geno's 8-8 season, where he threw for 12 TD's, 21 picks, and had 8 fumbles, and benefitted from a running game that totalled nearly 2200 yards?  How about his follow-up 4-12 campaign?

Fitz can never be labeled a "winner".  But this 8-8 season for Geno has been repeated over and over as if he played a big hand in that.  He was a handoff machine (we ran it 493 times; Geno only attempted 443 passes) who despite our best "Hide the QB" efforts and a successful running game led us to a finish of 29th in total offense.

At least when Fitz has had some success in this league, he's played a big hand in it.  Again, 80+ times in his career he's done his job. That's not a track record of a bottom 3 QB like Geno.  When we lose, Geno is a top 3 reason nearly every time.  When Fitz has lost in his career, about half the time it was on his defenses.  That's a pretty wide disparity.

Did you take a "detailed look" at Geno's 8-8 season, where he threw for 12 TD's, 21 picks, and had 8 fumbles, and the team rand for 2200 yards?  How about his follow-up 4-12 campaign?

Fitz can never be labeled a "winner".  But this 8-8 season for Geno has been repeated over and over as if he played a big hand in that.  He was a handoff machine who despite our best "Hide the QB" efforts and a successful running game led us to a finish of 29th in total offense.

I did, and thats expected for a rookie. 

Now go take a 10 year detailed look at how year after year Fitzpatrick either tanked or got injured. Either way at the end of the season the team that he started for didnt end well. 

And my intentions arent to repeat over and over again this 8-8 season by Geno. My intentions are to stop the bullsh*t that I hear in regards to Fitz being our best option when he hasnt even been the best option for 5 prior teams....given my "detailed look" at his record. 

Maybe if you dissect Fitz as you do Geno we would see eye-to-eye on this. 

Unknown commodity? He's known. He sucks.

Exactly.  2 years in this league is a long time.  The average NFL career is something like 2-3 years.  And when it comes to QB's, with the way the rules favor offenses, it's pretty easy to tell when someone doesn't have it.

Obviously Geno must be an unknown. Fitz been in the league a decade showing how crappy he is yet Jet fans are believing in him. Obviously Jet fans dont know what the hell they're talking about. lol. 

Because Fitz hasn't been crappy.  He's been average.  That's where most of the anti-Fitz crowd is simply putting fingers in their ears and saying "LA LA LA I DONT WANNA HEAR IT 33-51 LA LA LA LA".  Same old arguments, always wrong.  The only argument repeated over and over has been his W-L record.  Every other stat available agrees with me. 

No stat out there says Geno is average or even just below average.  He's terrible.  And he's been given time to try to prove us otherwise.  He was off to an awful start this camp before getting punched.  Yet there will still be people out there saying he was primed for a breakout season.  As if the guy who shows the kind of immaturity he's displayed ever could possibly turn out to have a happy ending.

Holding out hope for "potential" that has not been hinted at by any actual evidence is what keeps Sanchez on this team for far too long.  Geno sucks.  It's obvious.  Throw him back into the pond, put another worm on the hook and try again.

Because Fitz hasn't been crappy.  He's been average.  That's where most of the anti-Fitz crowd is simply putting fingers in their ears and saying "LA LA LA I DONT WANNA HEAR IT 33-51 LA LA LA LA".  Same old arguments, always wrong.  The only argument repeated over and over has been his W-L record.  Every other stat available agrees with me. 

No stat out there says Geno is average or even just below average.  He's terrible.  And he's been given time to try to prove us otherwise.  He was off to an awful start this camp before getting punched.  Yet there will still be people out there saying he was primed for a breakout season.  As if the guy who shows the kind of immaturity he's displayed ever could possibly turn out to have a happy ending.

The irony is that if Geno had a year like Fitz had last year the same people would be proclaiming him Canton-bound.

Exactly.  2 years in this league is a long time.  The average NFL career is something like 2-3 years.  And when it comes to QB's, with the way the rules favor offenses, it's pretty easy to tell when someone doesn't have it.

Dude...

Geno Smith first 2 years: 5,500 yards 25 TD's 34 INT's

Fitzpatrick first 4 years:  4,100 yards 21TD's 27INT's FItz didnt have his "breakout" season until year 6. 

You're contradicting yourself something fierce right now. Its all in the "details". 

Its seriously been too long since the Jets had a respectable QB. We're willing to accept anything lol. 

Im not going to argue with yo bro. It'll be a waste of time. 

I did, and thats expected for a rookie. 

Now go take a 10 year detailed look at how year after year Fitzpatrick either tanked or got injured. Either way at the end of the season the team that he started for didnt end well. 

And my intentions arent to repeat over and over again this 8-8 season by Geno. My intentions are to stop the bullsh*t that I hear in regards to Fitz being our best option when he hasnt even been the best option for 5 prior teams....given my "detailed look" at his record. 

Maybe if you dissect Fitz as you do Geno we would see eye-to-eye on this. 

1.  Qualitative arguments always fail when there's tangible evidence to the contrary.  Fitzpatrick tanks yet Geno's 4-12 season means nothing?  Fitz didn't tank last year.  Yes, he got hurt, and that's definitely a reason why no team but Buffalo has depended on him for long.  But it's not an argument for why he's worse than Geno.

2.  You hate bullsh*t but plan to repeat that brilliant 8-8 season over and over again.  Cool.  Guess you forget how many people still wanted Bridgewater after that amazing 8-8 campaign where we were outscored by 96 points.

3.  Here's what I care about when it comes to Fitz.  Over the last 5 seasons, he's thrown 102 TD's and 74 INT's.  After dealing with 6 seasons where, in half of them, our QB threw more picks than TD's, I'll take the guy who has proven more than capable of finishing on the positive side of that number.

Not to mention, I pick the guy who isn't missing a minimum of the first 7 games this year due mostly to his own idiocy, immaturity and selfishness.  If we're going to call Fitz a loser and choker I get to call Geno a loser and a$$hole who shouldn't be leading a team.  Fitz > Geno.

Not to mention, I pick the guy who isn't missing a minimum of the first 7 games this year due mostly to his own idiocy, immaturity and selfishness.  If we're going to call Fitz a loser and choker I get to call Geno a loser and a$$hole who shouldn't be leading a team.  Fitz > Geno.

Im not at all supporting Geno Smith's stupidity. Im simply engaging the bullsh*t when people say that Fitz is our best option. Dude was average during his breakout season...which he's years removed from. 

Does winning and losing matter if you're a QB?

And who said Geno was off to an awful start?  I was reading quite the opposite.  The coaching staff agreed, considering he was penciled in the D1 starter before getting knocked out. 

Does winning and losing matter if you're a QB?

And who said Geno was off to an awful start?  I was reading quite the opposite.  The coaching staff agreed, considering he was penciled in the D1 starter before getting knocked out. 

This is the part where Jetfan80 says "LA LA LA, I DONT WANNA HEAR IT".  :winking0001:

Archived