New wrinkle in Deflategate-Pats deflated punting balls as per Esiason

Bugg

I work with Jags fans, Cowboys fans, Browns fans, Redskins fans, Eagles fans, Steeler fans, Chiefs fans, Colts fans and even Pats fans. 

Everyone but the Pats fans and the Browns fan (who is the type of a$$hole who lives to be a contrary bastard , i.e. he wanted Tebow to be good because it would prove the experts wrong) think the Pats are cheating pieces of sh*t and are tired of their nonsense. 

In the grand scheme of things the deflated footballs is not a big deal. But when you add it to the laundry list of other accusations the result is people are sick of one team treating the NFL rule book like toilet paper and getting away with it. 

Not to mention that everyone in my office, including Pats fans, are in agreement that Brady has handled this entire episode as badly as it could have possibly been handled. 

Admit it, minimize it, move on. 

Admit it: "Yes I had the footballs prepared the way I like them."

Minimize it: "It is a standard practice that every quarterback engages in and I thought we were following the proper procedure. Apparently we weren't and I am ultimately responsible for that."

Move on: "I will make sure we are following the rule to the letter moving forward."

Had he done that, this would have been a story for less than a day. Worst case scenario, the league fines him 10 grand. 

But no, he had to be an arrogant dickhead. 

To take such rational actions would indicate a clear conscience. Brady, Belichick, and Kraft are all fully aware of all the little advantages that they have taken and benefited from over their time together- some of which fell outside the rules. Their resolve to clear their name or disassociate from this petty little incident by putting on the production that they've put on merely showcases their paranoia and guilty conscience.

Even third-party bystanders like my friends and colleagues who support teams like the Rams, 49ers, and Eagles are now more convinced of the systemic cheating in New England simply based on how they've (mis)handled everything. 

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I doubt it.  I think this is setting up for an ugly decision that both sides will hate to some degree.  My guess is a 20-page diatribe ripping the league, Goodell, Pash and Wells a new one over the way the process was handled and then one sentence at the end affirming the suspension to the effect of "But, despite the obvious -- and numerous -- inequities and missteps in the NFL's handling of the investigation and its imposition of discipline, this Court cannot overturn the bargain that the NFLPA and the NFL have struck through the CBA".   

Man, I sure hope you're right. Front page article in the Projo this AM pointing out more of Berman's flamethrowing at the league's lawyers. Even my wife said she's afraid he's going to overturn the suspension. Good to see a Pat fan, and a lawyer to boot, thinks otherwise.

The entire Patriots culture is founded on a principle of gaining an unfair advantage at every opportunity. This began way before Belichick.  Belichick, however raised it to an art form over the past decade and a half.  

Want proof that the Pats have always been cheaters and that they are immensely proud of their cheating?  Look no further than this:

In the Patriots Museum in Foxborough (called "The Hall at Patriots Place") , hanging from the rafters is the infamous snowplow which was used to cheat their way to a 1981 3-0 victory over the Dolphins during a blizzard.  The Pats gained an unfair advantage by having their maintenance crew bring out the plow and clear a patch for the kicker late in the game.  They afforded the Dolphins no such opportunity and gained an unfair advantage by literally creating an unbalanced playing field. The following year, the league made it an official rule not to do such despicable things to upset the fairness of the game.  The Pats however are so proud of their dubious achievement that they took said snowplow and glorified this underhanded cheating in their very own "Hall of Shame".  The culture of this franchise is aptly depicted by this hanging snowplow and infamous moment of cheating, and the Patriots, instead of being humbled by their shameful action instead choose to glorify it.  Tells you all you need to know.

img_0353.jpg?w=450&h=336

Holy crap.

I remember the story.  I didn't know they had actually put it in their museum.  LOL   That's great

Smear campaign by the Patriots?  Lol, that's rich.  

The Commissioner and the league are corrupt.  The Ref's are incompetent and/or corrupt.  And why? In the case of the refs because they do not seem to have security procedures in place that would reliably detect when one team tries to doctor footballs.  Really?  My wife is not required to present fingerprint IDs in order to enter my house either.  There is assumed to be a trust factor that has been systematically eviscerated by the cheaters over the course of many years  and the logic of at least some of the defenses I have heard is the equivalent of "well it is your own fault if you do not have a fingerprint machine at your front door".

So yes, a smear campaign.  By the Patriots in the hope of creating enough misdirection and general noise that the rest of the league may lose focus on the underlying cheating.  I think that will have consequences.  As it should.

I wouldn't advise any pats fan to go into the meadowlands acting stupid just like i wouldn't advise any jet fan to come to foxboro and act stupid.

F around and get beat up, on top of having to watch your team more than likely lose as well. For what?

That all maybe true. And it's still tremendously stupid and sad. We aren't Euro soccer hooligans. Recall being  at Game 7, Sawx/Yanks, and despite being and intense and high stakes a game as I can recall, at the end, people were respectful and polite. Lots of yelling back and forth for 13+ innings, but at the end, didn't see any fights nor nonsense. And that really is how it should be. Beating up opposing fans and getting into fights is asinine . 

Brady has to be kicking himself. If he did it (and now, given the "punter" thing, who knows really) and simply cooperated and claimed to have no idea it was outside the rules he had lobbied for and got, he was facing a fine and nothing more. To be at this point is his own fault. 

I think you guys are really underestimating how stupid some judges are. Two professions I've lost lots of respect for last few years are doctors and judges.

don't forget to add courtroom sketch artists.  Man, these sketchers have sunk really low.

Minimize it: "It is a standard practice that every quarterback engages in and I thought we were following the proper procedure. Apparently we weren't and I am ultimately responsible for that."

Move on: "I will make sure we are following the rule to the letter moving forward."

Had he done that, this would have been a story for less than a day. Worst case scenario, the league fines him 10 grand. 

Sort of like if Geno wasn't a dickhead his jaw wouldn't be broken.. :winking0001:

I work with Jags fans, Cowboys fans, Browns fans, Redskins fans, Eagles fans, Steeler fans, Chiefs fans, Colts fans and even Pats fans. 

Everyone but the Pats fans and the Browns fan (who is the type of a$$hole who lives to be a contrary bastard , i.e. he wanted Tebow to be good because it would prove the experts wrong) think the Pats are cheating pieces of sh*t and are tired of their nonsense. 

In the grand scheme of things the deflated footballs is not a big deal. But when you add it to the laundry list of other accusations the result is people are sick of one team treating the NFL rule book like toilet paper and getting away with it. 

Not to mention that everyone in my office, including Pats fans, are in agreement that Brady has handled this entire episode as badly as it could have possibly been handled. 

100% correct.  Too bad the princess is an arrogant douche.  One "oops Im sorry ."  Instead the arrogant dick leads off with "conspiracy" "conspiracy"

Brady has to be kicking himself. If he did it (and now, given the "punter" thing, who knows really) and simply cooperated and claimed to have no idea it was outside the rules he had lobbied for and got, he was facing a fine and nothing more. To be at this point is his own fault.

Kicking hisself for what? Ha Ha right now the NFL is getting it from the judge in which he could see a reduced sentence.

And some jet fans couldnt wait for his time in court, cause they were gonna watch Tom Brady get his...yeah he is really getting his(sarcasm )..

His accolades arent getting taken away, nothing changes, just more belly aching . Which in the end means nothing.

This little report that started this thread is going no where. Not reading anything about this outside of this thread. NFL network, ESPN..nobody is,say anything about it. How much legs does it have..and honestly the pats and the fans should be use to this by now.

All of this is just making me laugh, especially to read what is posted here..

The Commissioner and the league are corrupt.  The Ref's are incompetent and/or corrupt.  And why? In the case of the refs because they do not seem to have security procedures in place that would reliably detect when one team tries to doctor footballs.  Really?  My wife is not required to present fingerprint IDs in order to enter my house either.  There is assumed to be a trust factor that has been systematically eviscerated by the cheaters over the course of many years  and the logic of at least some of the defenses I have heard is the equivalent of "well it is your own fault if you do not have a fingerprint machine at your front door".

So yes, a smear campaign.  By the Patriots in the hope of creating enough misdirection and general noise that the rest of the league may lose focus on the underlying cheating.  I think that will have consequences.  As it should.

Maybe I am just not understanding your use of the phrase "smear campaign".  What exactly have the Patriots done to smear anybody other than Kraft bellyaching about the punishment and the team putting up a Wells report rebuttal website that nobody reads?  Doesn't sound like much of a "campaign" to me, much less an effective one.  

To me a smear campaign would include:

1.  Leaking to ESPN false information about the psi level in the balls in order to exaggerate the magnitude of the offense and mobilize public sentiment against the team before the team itself is able to learn the particulars of the accusations.

2.  Refusing to publicly correct the misinformation and putting a gag order on the team to prevent it from correcting the misinformation itself.

3.  Repeatedly touting a high-profile investigation ostensibly run by a third-party firm as "independent" in an attempt to publicly validate the findings, while knowing all along that the investigation was no more independent than if Goodell's minions in the league office had led the investigation themselves. 

4.  Strategically leaking to ESPN shortly before the appeal decision was released that Brady "destroyed" his phone even after all parties and the public knew perfectly well that Brady had already categorically refused to produce the messages on his phone under any circumstances, even after the very reasonable safeguards and limitations offered by the league.

5.  Issuing a public ruling that attacked Brady's credibility on the ground that Brady could not have possibly been truthful when testifying that his numerous conversations with the equipment manager were solely about Super Bowl Ball prep and not about Deflate Gate even though Brady had plainly testified repeatedly that his conversations with the manager covered both topics.  

6.  Opposing the release of the transcript that directly contradicted the lie mentioned in item #5.  

I don't disagree with you. But he could have minimized that feeling by handling this better. 

Agreed 100%.  If he had any decency, this would have been handled and done with by minimizing the situation.  Instead, this is just another show of his complete lack of respect to anything other than himself and proves even further without a shadow of a doubt that he's an egocentric arrogant a$$hole cheater who think's he's above the letter of the law.  He created this and he'll live with it.  He wanted to save his "legacy" but the unintended consequence is that he's tainted it forever.

He was sketching Brady's soul

He was sketching Brady's soul

I have a sketch of myself by the same artist hanging on my office wall. Asked her to make me 20 lbs. lighter when she was doing it, she giggled but sadly she did not do that. Still kinda cool. 

I do not disagree with any point except your last.

The Patriots were put on the defensive from the get go. 

-Kensil going to an equipment guy and dropping a "you're in big f'ing trouble" during the game had the Patriots on their heels. 

-The league sending a letter to the Ptriots with incorrect information.

-The league leaking incorrect information to Mort and others. 

-Then the league refusing to do anything about the incorrect leaked information after the Patriots requested them to do so.

That scenario you outlined never had a chance. 

Kensil and company pre-judged the Patriots.  Could the Patriots have handled it better?  Yes. 

However, what in the last 2-3 months of the NFL's actions lead you to believe only a fine would have been given?  Nothing.

It is when stats start to surface that defy logic.

And Brady is a complete piece of sh*t who will forever been remembered as a smug arrogant a$$hole cheater. Even if the court of law decides he wasnt (not even sure that what is happening) but still. The court of law found Roger Clemens not guilty but how do people remember Roger? (one of if not the greatest pitcher of our generation)....as a cheater.

Brady will be no different. He's a cheater till the day he dies and the Patriots legacy is tainted forever. That's all fact.

Correct.

However, what in the last 2-3 months of the NFL's actions lead you to believe only a fine would have been given?  Nothing.

The fact that had he handled it like I outlined above the last 2-3 months would never have happened. The story would have been dead two days after the AFCCG. 

There would have been no Wells investigation. There would have been no loss of a draft pick. There would have been no suspension. 

The fact the Kensil allegedly said what he did (still not sure I believe that story) should have made the course of action I am suggesting perfectly obvious to anyone who has any sense of public relations. If someone thinks they've got you by the balls, admit it, minimize it and move on. It gives them no place to go. This is public relations 101.

Didn't anyone in the Pats organization or Brady's camp ever see Clear and Present Danger? 

The fact that had he handled it like I outlined above the last 2-3 months would never have happened. The story would have been dead two days after the AFCCG.

There would have been no Wells investigation. There would have been no loss of a draft pick. There would have been no suspension.

The fact the Kensil allegedly said what he did (still not sure I believe that story) should have made the course of action I am suggesting perfectly obvious to anyone who has any sense of public relations. If someone thinks they've got you by the balls, admit it, minimize it and move on. It gives them no place to go. This is public relations 101.

Didn't anyone in the Pats organization or Brady's camp ever see Clear and Present Danger?

^^^^Think its clear, Brady should of admitted to something and handle this better in the beginning, but he didn't. Its his prerogative to defend hisself however he chooses, we all have that right no matter what the evidence may say.

And hearing the details in court about how much the NFL screwed this up and tried to turn it into a witch hunt. I can't blame him (Brady) or NFLPA (dont forget them either).

Like I said before nothing is gonna change with Brady. People who don't like him, will continue not to like him and the pats. So oh well.

Think everyone is in agreement though. Just get this over with so we can enjoy some football!

Well then, a move reference long before social media was ever invented by Gore....I retract anything I ever said.  ;)

It is easy to say what we would do in retrospect, but it rarely that way in real time.

Again, I think the Patriots had little chance to keep it contained.

The day after the game, the Patriots were notified by Gardi the league was investigating.  Then less than a day after that, Mort is reporting the same erroneous numbers as the notification memo.  Hmmmm.

You know dam well the Patriots did not leak the numbers. After all, the Patriots had to provide the numbers to the NFL offices.  The bad information came from the NFL Offices.  Even when asked to retract the bad information they did not.

You really expect the Patriots not to be defensive when the league is leaking bad information? 

That scenario was never plausible.

Well then, a move reference long before social media was ever invented by Gore....I retract anything I ever said.  ;)

It is easy to say what we would do in retrospect, but it rarely that way in real time.

The day after the game, the Patriots were notified by Gardi the league was investigating.  Then less than a day after that, Mort is reporting the same erroneous numbers as the notification memo.  Hmmmm.

You know dam well the Patriots did not leak the numbers. After all, the Patriots had to provide the numbers to the NFL offices.  The bad information came from the NFL Offices.  Even when asked to retract the bad information they did not.

You really expect the Patriots not to be defensive when the league is leaking bad information? 

Admit it. Minimize it. Move on. 

The knee jerk reaction of the guilty is always to protest their innocence as loudly as possible. The moronic thought process is that if someone sees you as being really passionate about it, you must be telling the truth. But we both know the world doesn't work that way. 

This is a professional football team. I am supposed to honestly believe no one in the organization approached someone in their PR department for advice and the best they came up with was to tell Brady to act like an ass and crack jokes about Isis? If that is true, Kraft needs to fire his entire PR department. 

Brady didn't talk to the media untill Tuesday. 48 hours is more than enough time for someone to come with a better way to approach this than "act like an entitled, arrogant asshead."

The very limited hang out.Acknowledge your mistake, cooperate and take a little smack on th wrist.  It worked for Any Pettitte-concede you screwed up, say you didn't realize it violated the rule,( which Brady and Manning lobbied for and got) express some remorse and move on. It all might be a well-crafted lie, but it works every day. A little remorse, honest or contrived, goes a very long way. And then it would have  been  a minimal fine and a  2 day story. 

The very limited hang out.Acknowledge your mistake, cooperate and take a little smack on th wrist.  It worked for Any Pettitte-concede you screwed up, say you didn't realize it violated the rule,( which Brady and Manning lobbied for and got) express some remorse and move on. It all might be a well-crafted lie, but it works every day. A little remorse, honest or contrived, goes a very long way. And then it would have  been  a minimal fine and a  2 day story. 

That is at best an apples to oranges comparison.

Pettite was on a report that said he took PEDs.  So yeah, it is easy to come clean.

Again, before the game is over, Kensil is saying to a ball boy "you're in big f'ing trouble".  There is no smoking gun.  Is he complicit?  Probably.   Is McNally just as likely to be doing because Brady is probably a dick to the ball guys?  That is just as probable.

You attack someone in an accusatory fashion they are going to be defensive.  If Rog-ah went to Foxboro to see what happened in a non-threatening manner and the Brady or the Patriots coped to it, he could then slam them.  He would have left them no recourse.

Archived