Jets officially sign Matt Flynn.

Villain The Foe

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stupid. 

Can you please give us one reason why Tampa Bay would trade the only backup they have to Winston? I thought when they released McCown months ago, you'd realize that it wasn't going to happen... yet here we are, three weeks from the start of the season, Winston looks like shat, there's no way TB trades their proven backup, and yet you still bring it up every ******* day

Can you please give us one reason why Tampa Bay would trade the only backup they have to Winston? I thought when they released McCown months ago, you'd realize that it wasn't going to happen... yet here we are, three weeks from the start of the season, Winston looks like shat, there's no way TB trades their proven backup, and yet you still bring it up every ******* day

Nope. 

Good move, no risk, need another camp arm, better to be proactive than reactive.  He obviously sucks but the team simply needs another vet in camp and perhaps to start the year.  At least he can learn the offense if disaster strikes and Ftiz gets hurt.

Superbowl. 

Nope but smart football decision.  It's pretty simple.  The thought that no one is better than a jag vet is wrong.  You cover your bases as well as you can now and you keep looking.  If at the end of camp some team decides they will now move a better Qb then the Jets will look at that then.

- They have already talked trade prelim re other QBs.  (good football move)

- They have brought in a jag vet to learn the offense in case of emergency and at the very least not force the starter to play too much in preseason. (good move)

We can only hope the next step is:

They know they currently do not have a Qb that can win and are looking forward trade wise or draft wise to getting one.

Good move, no risk, need another camp arm, better to be proactive than reactive.  He obviously sucks but the team simply needs another vet in camp and perhaps to start the year.  At least he can learn the offense if disaster strikes and Ftiz gets hurt.

Agreed, my only fear from going from Geno to Fitz was if Fitz got hurt.  Now we have a vet to throw out there and not put Petty in the line of fire and interupt his growth.

it's not stupid, we need a vet to play in case Fitz gets hurt b/c petty isn't ready.  I doubt Flynn will be on this roster come October.

Flynn couldnt even make the team behind Garrapolo. And im also night calling a decision a good move when fans even think the player won be on the team come October. 

Flynn couldnt even make the team behind Garrapolo. And im also night calling a decision a good move when fans even think the player won be on the team come October. 

we just need a vet, doesn't matter who it is.  just in case Fitz gets hurt.  would you feel better if it was Grossman? there aren't any good QBs on the street right now.

Fitzpatrick > Geno > Flynn.  Easy.

What????

How can this be?  Flynn has thrown more TD's than INT's.  His completion percentage is 61%.  His record is 3-4.  His DVOA was something and he was once a rated as a middle of the pack QB.

YOU ARE WRONG!!!!!

The Pats needed another camp arm because Flynn was hurt and they were only carrying 3, so they signed Lindley who was ready to practice.  Otherwise Garoppolo and Brady would throw too much.  The player won't be on the team come October because he will have filled his role. That is the definition of a good move..

it's not stupid, we need a vet to play in case Fitz gets hurt b/c petty isn't ready.  I doubt Flynn will be on this roster come October.

I think then they'd have to cut him just before final rosters are due, otherwise his whole year is guaranteed. Not like teams would suddenly be falling all over each other to pick up Flynn within that period.

1st play of the game on friday Fitzpatrick goes down.  What is your scenario now?  Are you not even acknowledging the need for 4 qbs in camp and ex games?  No one is married to freakin Flynn but there is a need for another camp arm and preferably a guy that could start a game or two if need be ie a vet.  I don't see where you are coming from at all on this one.

1st play of the game on friday Fitzpatrick goes down. What is your scenario now? Are you not even acknowledging the need for 4 qbs in camp and ex games? No one is married to freakin Flynn but there is a need for another camp arm and preferably a guy that could start a game or two if need be ie a vet. I don't see where you are coming from at all on this one.

Well put.

The decent backups, a la Glennon, Mettenberger, Nasib(?) etc...aren't getting traded.

I will not advocate putting Petty in. That would be the definition of insanity since we just did this twice with Sanchez and Jaw-no.

anyone know if Flynn considered a 'smart' QB, aka, learns playbooks fast, good at progression reads etc? I have no idea...Havent followed his career

I checked some of his old pre-draft stuff and saw this:

Well-prepared athlete who puts in the extra hours in the film room studying tapes

Probably doesn't mean much, bui this is pretty funny...

Compares To: RYAN FITZPATRICK-Cincinnati...Flynn has minimal starting experience, but is a very effective scrambling quarterback with excellent straight-line speed for a quarterback. He doesn't have "happy feet," but you would like to see him stay in the pocket. He has good touch and accuracy in the short-to-intermediate areas, but some question his deep-passing skills, as he loses velocity on longer throws, especially when firing on the move. With his athletic ability, he has a chance to carry a clipboard at the next level, but his minimal opportunities as a starter, combined with a just adequate senior campaign (possibly due to lingering ankle issues) might make GMs hesitant to invest a draft choice until much later in the draft.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles?id=367

What????

How can this be?  Flynn has thrown more TD's than INT's.  His completion percentage is 61%.  His record is 3-4.  His DVOA was something and he was once a rated as a middle of the pack QB.

YOU ARE WRONG!!!!!

Bit of a small sample size.  Math and stuff.

Archived