Jets officially sign Matt Flynn.

Villain The Foe

You want to trade a 3rd or a 2nd for a guy taken in the 3rd who failed to take hold of the starting job in Tampa when it was handed to him and is a FA next year?

Sorry, I'd rather have Mettenberger for less. Actually I'd take Mettenberger over Glennon all day

I am the GM of Tennessee, I want a 1st and a 2nd for him.  You game?

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lets play. 

Oh, so you want two 1st rounders for Glennon? Okay. Let me fist go visit Tennessee and St. Louis and see what the going rate is for Mettenberger and Davis. I think I can get a better deal with them. But hey, here's my business card. Yes, I know my business card doesnt have a Jets logo but a Starbucks Logo, but im big Macc baby. I gets it in with my frappuccino! And when you decide to turn that two 1st rounder answer into a 3rd rounder, possibly a 2nd rounder if you're nice then pick up that card and call me. 

But please, if im in St. Louie just email me. I wouldnt want to be interrupted with a phone call while eating on some great BBQ. 

For mettenburger i want a 1st and a 2nd for davis 2 2nds and a 4rd.  You game?

In any case you really think mettenburger or davis are great viable long term QB solutions?  Much better than Bryce Petty?  You are railing about how bad our qb situation is and then offering up solutions that are almost as big of ? as the dregs we have here.  And we have no idea what teams are asking for them and we have no idea if they are even available.

Villian none of us are happy only the Geno haters seem to be happy in return they got Fitzpatrick I think Bowles and Macc aren't happy with Fitzpatrick thats why they got Flynn any real Jets fan cannot be happy with the overall situation here at QB

I dont think it has anything to do with how they feel about Fitz. They need QB depth as insurance now that Fitz is starting and 2 rookies are backing him up.  Do you think if they were amazed at how well Fitz was doing they would not sign a back up?

For mettenburger i want a 1st and a 2nd for davis 2 2nds and a 4rd.  You game?

In any case you really think mettenburger or davis are great viable long term QB solutions?  Much better than Bryce Petty?  You are railing about how bad our qb situation is and then offering up solutions that are almost as big of ? as the dregs we have here.  And we have no idea what teams are asking for them and we have no idea if they are even available.

So let me get this right. 

In one breath you say..."For Glennon I want two 1st rounders, For mettenburger i want a 1st and a 2nd for davis 2 2nds and a 4rd.  You game?"

Then in your second breath..."You are railing about how bad our qb situation is and then offering up solutions that are almost as big of ? as the dregs we have here". 

So what I see is that the game you're playing is "Let me make unrealistic trade options for what I believe are question marks to begin with...because after all, all players that "I believe" are question marks that I wont even play are worth 2 1st rounders, a 1st and 2nd or two 2nd's and a 4th rounder". I understand now.

1384636668989-dumpfm-Rob-Exposed.gif

anyone know if Flynn considered a 'smart' QB, aka, learns playbooks fast, good at progression reads etc? I have no idea...Havent followed his career

I think he's a genius. 7th round draft pick, is simply a bad NFL QB, and look how much he's made at the pro level. Brilliant, brilliant man.

I think he's a genius. 7th round draft pick, is simply a bad NFL QB, and look how much he's made at the pro level. Brilliant, brilliant man.

not what I asked,, I know as starter its not there, but can he at least pick up playbook and 'manage' the game,,and is he a turnover machine? I havent reserached,, Gee... smh..I sometimes think 'why bother',,everyone after the yuks and gotchas..

You want to trade a 3rd or a 2nd for a guy taken in the 3rd who failed to take hold of the starting job in Tampa when it was handed to him and is a FA next year?

Sorry, I'd rather have Mettenberger for less. Actually I'd take Mettenberger over Glennon all day

Except you're not "taking" him.  

You're paying for him.

How much do YOU think the Titan will charge the Jets for their #2 Veteran QB currently sitting behind a rookie?

Glennon & Mettenberger are not going anywhere. They are backing up ROOOKIE QBs. These teams need backups as well if their rookie QBs fall flat on their faces or get injured.

Take a look at the Redskins. They had every opportunity to trade Kirk Cousins after he played great in a couple games. Her garnered tremendous interest from other teams and they just wouldn't do it because of the uncertainty behind RG3. 

lol. I will behave.

Okay if you must, then allow me to be the anal retentive for the day.

The question of why would Tampa trade the only experienced backup.

1) They pretty much gave him the finger when they took Winston and declared him the starter. This without giving Glennon even a chance to compete for the job.

2) Glennon was not Lovie's pick and the new regime has no ties to him. An having ( see point 1 ) done that to him, Glennon cannot be a happy camper.

3rd) an probably the most important point of my three, Glennon will be a FA next year and considering the first two points, do you think he will be sticking around Tampa next year?

Glennon and his agents know damn well, he will be in demand next season and he is going to walk and Tampa will get no compensation at all.

Glennon wants to be a starter and knows he has not been given a fair shot yet. I am sure he feels he has proven that he has earn his chance

So in conclusion, it's in Tampa's best interest to trade Glennon now, receive a decent draft pick for him. In our case we would also be able to offer either, Geno, Petty whom they could groom as a backup

Okay if you must, then allow me to be the anal retentive for the day.

The question of why would Tampa trade the only experienced backup.

1) They pretty much gave him the finger when they took Winston and declared him the starter. This without giving Glennon even a chance to compete for the job.

2) Glennon was not Lovie's pick and the new regime has no ties to him. An having ( see point 1 ) done that to him, Glennon cannot be a happy camper.

3rd) an probably the most important point of my three, Glennon will be a FA next year and considering the first two points, do you think he will be sticking around Tampa next year?

Glennon and his agents know damn well, he will be in demand next season and he is going to walk and Tampa will get no compensation at all.

Glennon wants to be a starter and knows he has not been given a fair shot yet. I am sure he feels he has proven that he has earn his chance

So in conclusion, it's in Tampa's best interest to trade Glennon now, receive a decent draft pick for him. In our case we would also be able to offer either, Geno, Petty whom they could groom as a backup

As clear as sunshine. 

My point exactly. I've said it before in a prior post that this is Glennon's final year under contract and we know that he wont be a Buc next year. I understand wanting to keep a guy as a back up based on the fact that you drafted a rookie, but they did the same thing to him last year when they brought in McCown...who wasnt a rookie. 

Also, its not like the Bucs are in "Win Now" mode. Though I liked alot of their draft picks this year, lets be serious, they are most likely not making the playoffs, especially since they're starting a rookie QB. Why not get a decent draft pick for a guy in his final year that could add to rebuilding the franchise for the next 3 to 4 years minimum? This is a team that could take the draft pick then sign a guy like a Matt Flynn to back up Winston. Why is that stupid for the Bucs to do yet somehow "brilliant" for the jets to do? lol

Thats the very question the naysayers ignore when they talk about how it is impossible for Glennon to ever be available. The franchise has shown for the 3rd year that they're not willing to give him a shot, yet he's suddenly valuable in his final year when it comes to receiving a 2nd or 3rd round pick? 

Good post. 

Just trade for Glennon next offseason. Stick with Fitz for now

See this is a response I can get behind.  Not some high pitched wailing about how signing Flynn is awful because we have not gone out and gotten any number of guys who may cost too much right now or are not available.

See this is a response I can get behind. Not some high pitched wailing about how signing Flynn is awful because we have not gone out and gotten any number of guys who may cost too much right now or are not available.

Flynn is just a body to put on the roster. That and they don't want Petty playing 3.5-4 quarters every preseason game.

As clear as sunshine. 

My point exactly. I've said it before in a prior post that this is Glennon's final year under contract and we know that he wont be a Buc next year. I understand wanting to keep a guy as a back up based on the fact that you drafted a rookie, but they did the same thing to him last year when they brought in McCown...who wasnt a rookie. 

Also, its not like the Bucs are in "Win Now" mode. Though I liked alot of their draft picks this year, lets be serious, they are most likely not making the playoffs, especially since they're starting a rookie QB. Why not get a decent draft pick for a guy in his final year that could add to rebuilding the franchise for the next 3 to 4 years minimum? This is a team that could take the draft pick then sign a guy like a Matt Flynn to back up Winston. Why is that stupid for the Bucs to do yet somehow "brilliant" for the jets to do? lol

Thats the very question the naysayers ignore when they talk about how it is impossible for Glennon to ever be available. The franchise has shown for the 3rd year that they're not willing to give him a shot, yet he's suddenly valuable in his final year when it comes to receiving a 2nd or 3rd round pick? 

Good post. 

Keep this in mind Villain.  They did say yesterday, which surprised me,  that it is possible they will add yet another QB before the season begins.

Bowles also said in his impromptu news conference at practice that they had contacted another team about a trade.  If they had agreed to a draft pick with the Bucs,they aren't surrendering a 2nd or 3rd round pick for a 1 year rental.  They will have to get Glennon to do a new contract first.  That might take some time.

I'm certainly not predicting a trade for Glennon, but the ship hasn't sailed just yet.  

I am the GM of Tennessee, I want a 1st and a 2nd for him. You game?

No. He's not their guy, they went out and got Mariota. They also have Whitehurst who's the perfect guy to be backup QB. And they got Mettenberger low because he blew out a knee his last season at LSU and did the same a year ago.

I'm not giving up a 1 & 2 for a guy they spent a 6 on who didn't make it through the season and Tenn didn't think was good enough to start for them moving forward

Except you're not "taking" him.  

You're paying for him.

How much do YOU think the Titan will charge the Jets for their #2 Veteran QB currently sitting behind a rookie?

They have Charlie Whitehurst as their 2 behind Mariota. They're only keeping two. Mettenberger was a 6th round pick. What more can they ask for, they used a 6th and didn't think he could start.

Keep this in mind Villain.  They did say yesterday, which surprised me,  that it is possible they will add yet another QB before the season begins.

Bowles also said in his impromptu news conference at practice that they had contacted another team about a trade.  If they had agreed to a draft pick with the Bucs,they aren't surrendering a 2nd or 3rd round pick for a 1 year rental.  They will have to get Glennon to do a new contract first.  That might take some time.

I'm certainly not predicting a trade for Glennon, but the ship hasn't sailed just yet.  

I will most certainly do so. Great info. Im about to listen to this weeks conferences now. I havent really been up to date on those. 

No. He's not their guy, they went out and got Mariota. They also have Whitehurst who's the perfect guy to be backup QB. And they got Mettenberger low because he blew out a knee his last season at LSU and did the same a year ago.

I'm not giving up a 1 & 2 for a guy they spent a 6 on who didn't make it through the season and Tenn didn't think was good enough to start for them moving forward

There that is my point I have been making to Villain in this thread.  People are barking about getting all sorts of QBs for other teams indicating that we should or should have traded for them without having clue what the other teams have been asking.  I'd laugh at the proposals I have been making if I was the jets.

There that is my point I have been making to Villain in this thread.  People are barking about getting all sorts of QBs for other teams indicating that we should or should have traded for them without having clue what the other teams have been asking.  I'd laugh at the proposals I have been making if I was the jets.

Especially when you keep in mind they're looking for a backup. They're not giving up high starting QB picks for Glennon, who was so good in Tampa that they signed a retread last year to play QB and then used the first pick in the draft on a question mark to lead the team

Archived