Would you be in favor of the Jets starting Bryce Petty this season 2015

joewilly12

Bryce Petty   

153 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be in favor of starting Bryce Petty this season 2015

Well since I would not have been in favor of starting Mariota this year had he fallen to us, I'll let you all figure out my response to Petty starting.

ps: a recent Bowles comment on Petty

---The Jets have every intention of starting Ryan Fitzpatrick opening day. For rookie Bryce Petty, it’s a work in progress. Coach Bowles indicated that Petty had difficulty identifying the Mike ‘backer against the Lions. That is the most important thing for a quarterback, so the blocking can be set up front. Reading defenses on a pro level is his most significant adjustment and then in due time he’ll know where to go with the ball and also be able to manage the offense effectively. Petty has all the intangibles and these reps – in practice and in the preseason games – are critical, but the Jets aren’t going to rush him into regular season action.

Unfortunately getting Flynn may take his reps.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unfortunately getting Flynn may take his reps.

Yeah the same thought occurred to me.  At least they have a good deal of tape on Petty from week one, also I'm hoping he gets at least one series tonight.  

And as someone else mentioned Mangold called the mike etc when he's out there and Petty didn't have that advantage last week.  I'm wondering if he (Petty) was the guy making the calls or was it someone else.  I suppose it was Petty since Bowles specifically mentioned it as a failing.  Sorta harsh, no.  

Yeah the same thought occurred to me. At least they have a good deal of tape on Petty from week one, also I'm hoping he gets at least one series tonight.

And as someone else mentioned Mangold called the mike etc when he's out there and Petty didn't have that advantage last week. I'm wondering if he (Petty) was the guy making the calls or was it someone else. I suppose it was Petty since Bowles specifically mentioned it as a failing. Sorta harsh, no.

Yeah I'm intrigued on whether he will show an improvement form last week.

No Petty needs to learn from Fitzpatrick and Flynn to get ready for his future as hopefully Jets Franchise quarterback. I expect Petty to start next season or half way through next season. Petty needs to hold a clip board and ride the bench this season and learn the logistics it takes to be a starter in the National Football League.

Aaron Rodgers didn't start right away and look what happened he is one of the best in the League at QB. I'm not saying Petty will be anywhere near as talented as Rodgers. I'm just saying it will be for the good of Bryce Petty that he sits on the sideline and he learns for a season or two. The Jets should not rush Petty to start they need to get him ready through being mentored by the 1st and 2nd string quartebacks. Geno Smith started as a rookie and look now he really is not that good at quarterback.

How is it hard to imagine? They have no QB in a division with 2 loaded D's.  A rookie HC.  Implementing 2 new systems.  And they're playing in the AFCE which means, they're instantly playing for a Wild Card.  In addition to the fact the AFCE is going to very competitive and they play another ultra competitive division in the NFCE.

6-10 sounds about right.

6-10 would be total failure in my opinion 

All things considered I thought Petty looks ok against the Lions. He improved on that performance last night against the Falcons. So far so good Mac/Bowles!

Yup, I actually think he looked alright in Detroit. Especially for a rookie who was suddenly thrust up the depth chart and probably not expecting to play all that much up until Geno got clocked.

Can we let a kid sit for once?

Petty is an older rookie (24 yrs old, a year younger than Geno), so he is more emotionally and physically mature than his draftmates, but he comes from a spread offense and needs to learn the pro game.  Because of his maturity, he should be able to grasp the system and the game speed better siting on the bench and be ready to compete for the starting job next year.

That's great. Your first sentence says you did not want to argue the point, and the 2nd is an argument for your point.

Im not arguing about anything,everyone has an opinion you have mine.

Fitzpatrick sucks the Jets in 2 preseason games have 0 offense with Fitzpatrick at QB. 

Can we let a kid sit for once?

Petty is an older rookie (24 yrs old, a year younger than Geno), so he is more emotionally and physically mature than his draftmates, but he comes from a spread offense and needs to learn the pro game.  Because of his maturity, he should be able to grasp the system and the game speed better siting on the bench and be ready to compete for the starting job next year.

We had no choice in 2009(Clemens showed nothing) and in 2013 Sanchez got hurt in preseason.. I agree even Brady sat a year before playing and Chad didn't play until year 3..

Archived