When I think of the 1998 team

Maxman

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Big man in charge had all the pieces doing their jobs responsibly and reliably

Our depth & starters truly did deliver.

Injury bug to the important players was waiting a year to bite us in the n*tsack :(

3.5 ypc season avg and 14 yds in the AFCCG you can't get a back better then that..LOL

3.5 ypc season avg and 14 yds in the AFCCG you can't get a back better then that..LOL

Happily we were a well balanced team and our QB had a top 10 year with a strong passing game ... To go along with a solid D ... And I believe our ST were strong that season as well

Thanks Max. The 98 reference is a good one. I think that team overachieved big time.

They knocked Brunell and the Jags out of the playoffs in a home game.. And the 2010 Team knocked out Bradys Pats and Manning's Colts on the rd and the 1998 team overachieved??  :screwy:

They knocked Brunell and the Jags out of the playoffs in a home game.. And the 2010 Team knocked out Bradys Pats and Manning's Colts on the rd and the 1998 team overachieved??  :screwy:

Keyshawn had an all time great game vs the Jags

When the Jets beat the Dolphins on that Sunday night to clinch a playoff spot the dolphin receivers were gassed at the end of the game and the Jets D wasn't even breathing hard. That's where that off season conditioning program paid dividends it was hilarious to watch. But parcells sucked

Not an overachievement. Our defense was very talented with guys like Aaron Glenn who was Revis before Revis, mo Lewis, Marvin jones, Cox, and Farrior and our offense had a top 5 OL, Keyshawn in his prime, Wayne in his prime and Curts Martin.

The 1996 team two years earlier severely underachieved because Dick Kotite had no clue.

too many mistakes in the title game, we handed them that game. 

That Bronco's team was really, really good.   What did they start off?  13-0 or something like that.

You play a team like that and you start giving the ball away, you are going to lose

That Bronco's team was really, really good.   What did they start off?  13-0 or something like that.

You play a team like that and you start giving the ball away, you are going to lose

they were really good, a very underrated team in NFL history(a team that also cheated the salary cap by the way and people forget that).  we have to credit them for forcing some of the TOs too, that game was really hard hitting and they were forcing more TOs than we were.

Not an overachievement. Our defense was very talented with guys like Aaron Glenn who was Revis before Revis, mo Lewis, Marvin jones, Cox, and Farrior and our offense had a top 5 OL, Keyshawn in his prime, Wayne in his prime and Curts Martin.

The 1996 team two years earlier severely underachieved because Dick Kotite had no clue.

you are correct on all except Glenn- he wasn't half the corner Revis is.  Not even in the discussion.

Tthe pre Parcells teams had a load of talent.  BP was not stupid, he knew what he was walking into.  BP is a great HC and can turn underachievers into achievers which is what he did.

He ran his ass off 50yards to recover a fumble too. Loudest crowd I ever remember next to the 2002 playoff win against Indy.

A lot of Keyshawn haters conveniently forget stuff like that.  He had a receiving TD, a rushing TD, a fumble recovery (of a Chrebet fumble that was recovered by Jax and then fumbled on the return) and an interception in a playoff game.  I can't think of anyone who has ever done that since guys stopped wearing leather helmets.

He had his diva moments, no doubt, but on the field that guy played his ass off.  Being one of, if not the best blocking WR in the game for a 6-7 year span isn't exactly a "me-first" quality either.

A lot of Keyshawn haters conveniently forget stuff like that.  He had a receiving TD, a rushing TD, a fumble recovery (of a Chrebet fumble that was recovered by Jax and then fumbled on the return) and an interception in a playoff game.  I can't think of anyone who has ever done that since guys stopped wearing leather helmets.

He had his diva moments, no doubt, but on the field that guy played his ass off.  Being one of, if not the best blocking WR in the game for a 6-7 year span isn't exactly a "me-first" quality either.

Key was great for us, he and Wayne were a perfect compliment for each other but key was far and away our best WR.  he wanted the ball, what WR didn't? wayne complained for the ball years later too.  what player doesn't want the ball?  Key played hard all the time and was great for us. 

Archived