When I think of the 1998 team

Maxman

A friend asked me this past week if this 2015 team is better than the 1998 team. My response started with - depends on which version of the league they exist in. The 2015 team would actually have been a real Super Bowl contender in 1998. In the N-DFS-L, not so much.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As for Fitz being the "smarter" QB.  In 1998 when Vinny reared back to throw the ball I distinctly remember that feeling that everytime it was going to be completed for a big play.  It was the only time in my lifetime that I felt complete confidence in a Jets QB and was genuinely shocked at even an incomplete pass.  The only other QB I've ever seen do that was Tom Brady.  Difference is Vinny did it for a season, Tom for a career.  But I digress....  I still do not get that same feeling when Fitz throws, and I highly doubt I will.  During his time here, Vinny was by far the smarter QB. 

Hate to bring it up, but for those who weren't around, that (12-1) record with Vin Man that year was (12-1)* due to an atrocious call. Funny it's all the historical clips shown, that Testaverde's "TD" vs. Seattle is never one of them. It was the final nail in the coffin to bring about instant replay in the NFL. Seattle lost, dropping them to 6-7 instead of bumping them to 7-6, they finished outside the playoff bubble again at 8-8, their HC got fired...all that would have been rightly reversed with instant replay. We should have finished at 11-5 (assuming, after that loss, that we still would have won the last 3 games).

Hate to bring it up, but for those who weren't around, that (12-1) record with Vin Man that year was (12-1)* due to an atrocious call. Funny it's all the historical clips shown, that Testaverde's "TD" vs. Seattle is never one of them. It was the final nail in the coffin to bring about instant replay in the NFL. Seattle lost, dropping them to 6-7 instead of bumping them to 7-6, they finished outside the playoff bubble again at 8-8, their HC got fired...all that would have been rightly reversed with instant replay. We should have finished at 11-5 (assuming, after that loss, that we still would have won the last 3 games).

hey stfu? :)

we got a call, it happens.  through the years how many have they missed that were much bigger(such as the fumble in Pitt)?  and Key was forced out when he would have come down in bounds for a Td a play or 2 earlier so it was really just justice.  Seattle won their next 2 games, if they won the final game they make the playoffs so they had it all in their hands and failed.  don;'t blow leads of 28-13 in the 3rd and 31-19 in the 4th against us or win week 17 and they make it.  No excuses for them.

at 11-5 we still get the 2 seed.

we got a call, it happens.  through the years how many have they missed that were much bigger(such as the fumble in Pitt)?  and Key was forced out when he would have come down in bounds for a Td a play or 2 earlier so it was really just justice.  Seattle won their next 2 games, if they won the final game they make the playoffs so they had it all in their hands and failed.  don;'t blow leads of 28-13 in the 3rd and 31-19 in the 4th against us or win week 17 and they make it.  No excuses for them.

at 11-5 we still get the 2 seed.

So what?

The play call was huge. You can't reverse the call and assume everything that happened thereafter would still have happened exactly the same way. Life doesn't work like that. You can't erase a first half deficit and, after the other team goes into prevent-mode, assume the same number of easy underneath passes would have been completed. Everything changes everything. Or it certainly can, anyway.

Had Seattle won the game, and then won their next 2 games, they'd have clinched a playoff spot at 9-6 no matter what happened the final week, and maybe NE's place as the 6th seed (I think that's how it would have been but I'm not looking it up and calculating it now). Jets were 12-3 and Denver was 13-2 heading into the last week. Maybe Denver rests their starters against Seattle in the last game of the season if we're 11-4 instead of 12-3, and Denver lays down all game long like Indianapolis+Cincinnati did with us in '09, and Seattle finishes 10-6. Maybe it changes a strategy or a single play call in the last 3 games of the season that gets an otherwise healthy, key player injured for the rest of the season. I'm not assuming any or all of these things would have happened but the point is you don't knowYou never know what would have happened so it is not "proof" to use what did happen.

The point is they didn't blow the lead against us. Or they didn't fully blow the lead, anyway. We made it close but we didn't beat them for real. The refs handed a win to the losing team. Anything else is just chatter.

That there were also other bad or worse calls in history doesn't/didn't make this one ok in the eyes of Seahawks fans (let alone in the eyes of Craig Erickson, who got fired after the season). Seattle probably would have been 1 and done in the playoffs anyway, but you don't know for sure until the games are actually played. 

So what?

The play call was huge. You can't reverse the call and assume everything that happened thereafter would still have happened exactly the same way. Life doesn't work like that. You can't erase a first half deficit and, after the other team goes into prevent-mode, assume the same number of easy underneath passes would have been completed. Everything changes everything. Or it certainly can, anyway.

Had Seattle won the game, and then won their next 2 games, they'd have clinched a playoff spot at 9-6 no matter what happened the final week, and maybe NE's place as the 6th seed (I think that's how it would have been but I'm not looking it up and calculating it now). Jets were 12-3 and Denver was 13-2 heading into the last week. Maybe Denver rests their starters against Seattle in the last game of the season if we're 11-4 instead of 12-3, and Denver lays down all game long like Indianapolis+Cincinnati did with us in '09, and Seattle finishes 10-6. Maybe it changes a strategy or a single play call in the last 3 games of the season that gets an otherwise healthy, key player injured for the rest of the season. I'm not assuming any or all of these things would have happened but the point is you don't knowYou never know what would have happened so it is not "proof" to use what did happen.

The point is they didn't blow the lead against us. Or they didn't fully blow the lead, anyway. We made it close but we didn't beat them for real. The refs handed a win to the losing team. Anything else is just chatter.

That there were also other bad or worse calls in history doesn't/didn't make this one ok in the eyes of Seahawks fans (let alone in the eyes of Craig Erickson, who got fired after the season). Seattle probably would have been 1 and done in the playoffs anyway, but you don't know for sure until the games are actually played. 

the call was bad but so was the play before where key had a would be Td and was forced out, the rule was different back then and it should have been rules a TD.

Seattle had chances to overcome, they failed. The Jets were not 12-3 heading into the last week, they were 6-4 at one time and won their last 6 to get to 12-4.  Den had clinched homefield already.

the call was bad but so was the play before where key had a would be Td and was forced out, the rule was different back then and it should have been rules a TD.

Seattle had chances to overcome, they failed. The Jets were not 12-3 heading into the last week, they were 6-4 at one time and won their last 6 to get to 12-4.  Den had clinched homefield already.

All that is irrelevant. The force-out rule was stupid to begin with, which is why they nixed it after a short time, so it's not that sympathetic of a plea. The defining play of the game was a ref saying he saw a TD happen when such a thing is impossible since it didn't happen. He didn't miss a call; he made up a call that never happened. And it was on (effectively) the last play of the game.

You're missing the point. We were the ones who failed to overcome. It was handed to us despite said failure. I'm fine with the result, since I'm a Jets fan not a Seahawks fan. But it's indisputable that we were handed awarded a TD on that play, and that you do not know for certain what would have happened in the future if the past was called correctly. 

It was so ridiculous it was used as the defining play of why we have instant replay today. I don't understand what you're arguing about or why. 

All that is irrelevant. The force-out rule was stupid to begin with, which is why they nixed it after a short time, so it's not that sympathetic of a plea. The defining play of the game was a ref saying he saw a TD happen when such a thing is impossible since it didn't happen. He didn't miss a call; he made up a call that never happened. And it was on (effectively) the last play of the game.

You're missing the point. We were the ones who failed to overcome. It was handed to us despite said failure. I'm fine with the result, since I'm a Jets fan not a Seahawks fan. But it's indisputable that we were handed awarded a TD on that play, and that you do not know for certain what would have happened in the future if the past was called correctly. 

It was so ridiculous it was used as the defining play of why we have instant replay today. I don't understand what you're arguing about or why. 

whether stupid or not it was the rule and we should have been awarded a TD based on it.

how did we fail to overcome? we came back in that game, won it then won the toughest div in football w/ a 12-4 record w/ a 1st rd bye. 

we have been screwed so many times through the years and no one complained but we finally get a call our way(a call we shouldn't have needed if they make the proper call on the play before) and everyone is up in arms.

That team had only been gelling for about 13 games or so, they weren't battle tested enough for the Elway-led Broncos on the road.  Shame they didn't get a chance in 1999 due to injuries.

I agree. I have never felt as deflated and had the optimism of a season sucked out of me as brutally quick as I did on opening day of the 99 season. I truly felt that was our year (along with many other Jets fans and even neutral analysts).

What could have been........still pisses me off to this day thinking about Vinny blowing his ACL/MCL/PCL/whateverCL it was that caused him to miss the season.

Sent from my SM-N915T using Tapatalk

If we went to Ray Lucas a couple weeks earlier in 1999, we finish at least 9-7, which would have probably gotten us in.  We were blowing teams away at the end of the '99 season.  The Jets would have been very dangerous in the postseason.

I need to watch the 98 AFCCG again, because whenever it is discussed here no one brings up the Alex Van Dyke fumble and it's stuck in my head as the sole source of my heartbreak. Like it was the nail in the coffin. My memory must be fuzzy. 

I also remember my boy,  Shadetree, was out hurt and we REALLY could have used him? 

Come to think of it...I wouldn't watch that game if someone had a gun to my head.

I need to watch the 98 AFCCG again, because whenever it is discussed here no one brings up the Alex Van Dyke fumble and it's stuck in my head as the sole source of my heartbreak. Like it was the nail in the coffin. My memory must be fuzzy. 

I also remember my boy,  Shadetree, was out hurt and we REALLY could have used him? 

Come to think of it...I wouldn't watch that game if someone had a gun to my head.

The play I will never forget is the denver kickoff that got held up in the wind and came down and hit a jet player and denver recovered

Two plays later, his 11-yard touchdown pass to Howard Griffith cut the score to 10–7. Then the Broncos caught a lucky break when the ensuing kickoff bounced back in their direction and was recovered by linebacker Keith Burns, setting up Jason Elam's 44-yard field goal to tie the game.

that was when the pain started, lol

I remember that Denver playoff game, and how we started out really well, and it was really windy, and Vinny was throwing completions into the wind, and I was saying this guy has a real gun (it's the first time I had seen a Jet game all year, I was out of the country). And the second half started....

whether stupid or not it was the rule and we should have been awarded a TD based on it.

how did we fail to overcome? we came back in that game, won it then won the toughest div in football w/ a 12-4 record w/ a 1st rd bye. 

we have been screwed so many times through the years and no one complained but we finally get a call our way(a call we shouldn't have needed if they make the proper call on the play before) and everyone is up in arms.

Failed to overcome as in we didn't score a TD. We were awarded a TD. 

And the push-out rule was stupid from the get go. You get 2 feet in or it's not a TD. I don't care that's what the rule was it was bullsh*t back then as well, which is why it was scrapped. Played today, a push-out would have still been an non-TD and with instant replay the Vinnie TD would have been overturned (i.e. a loss). Now if you wanted to point to a TD that Seattle scored that game because of the pushed-out rule, then I'd be sympathetic because hey, what's good for the goose (ok, seahawk not goose)...

No doubt we've been screwed many times. Many, many, many times. That has nothing to do with anything on a single, game-deciding, season-deciding (for Seattle), non-TD. We didn't beat them; that's all I said.

Who's "up in arms"? I made one totally true statement about the play, and you started arguing me about a known fact: that we were awarded a winning TD on a play where we didn't cross the goal line, that would have been overturned under today's rules because we now have instant replay. 

I have no objection to getting an ill-gotten win because, like you say, it's gone the other way so many times. I LIKE getting a win any way it comes. That doesn't mean I don't know we didn't really beat them (or didn't overcome, or however you want to phrase it.).

Sometimes winning and being awarded the win aren't the same thing. This is one of those cases. Just like the Green Bay game with the replacement refs, that ridiculous Pit-Sea Super Bowl, and lots of other horrendous calls if not horrendously-called games outright. This one was so bad it was the straw that broke the camel's back to bring about instant replay. They beat us; you don't say, well to make up for it Seattle should have just beaten (i.e. should have also beaten, in addition to beating the Jets) the eventual 17-2 SB champs, therefore, easy peasy. 

Failed to overcome as in we didn't score a TD. We were awarded a TD. 

And the push-out rule was stupid from the get go. You get 2 feet in or it's not a TD. I don't care that's what the rule was it was bullsh*t back then as well, which is why it was scrapped. Played today, a push-out would have still been an non-TD and with instant replay the Vinnie TD would have been overturned (i.e. a loss). Now if you wanted to point to a TD that Seattle scored that game because of the pushed-out rule, then I'd be sympathetic because hey, what's good for the goose (ok, seahawk not goose)...

No doubt we've been screwed many times. Many, many, many times. That has nothing to do with anything on a single, game-deciding, season-deciding (for Seattle), non-TD. We didn't beat them; that's all I said.

Who's "up in arms"? I made one totally true statement about the play, and you started arguing me about a known fact: that we were awarded a winning TD on a play where we didn't cross the goal line, that would have been overturned under today's rules because we now have instant replay. 

I have no objection to getting an ill-gotten win because, like you say, it's gone the other way so many times. I LIKE getting a win any way it comes. That doesn't mean I don't know we didn't really beat them (or didn't overcome, or however you want to phrase it.).

Sometimes winning and being awarded the win aren't the same thing. This is one of those cases. Just like the Green Bay game with the replacement refs, that ridiculous Pit-Sea Super Bowl, and lots of other horrendous calls if not horrendously-called games outright. This one was so bad it was the straw that broke the camel's back to bring about instant replay. They beat us; you don't say, well to make up for it Seattle should have just beaten (i.e. should have also beaten, in addition to beating the Jets) the eventual 17-2 SB champs, therefore, easy peasy. 

whatever the reason we got the TD and won the game.  sometimes bad calls go against you(most of the time for us) and sometimes they go for you.

whether it was dumb or not it was the rule and we should have scored based on it.  Key was great in EZ situations like that and we scored many times w/ the force out.

It was week 17, a meaningless game for Denver.  Miami had just beaten them to clinch a week earlier. 

Either way, if we lose that game and win the last 3 we still get the 2 seed. 

The Van Dyke fumble sealed the game but we were still down 23-10 late in the 4th.  we would have had a chance but that sealed it.

Pepper played great that year in place of Marvin.

The play I will never forget is the denver kickoff that got held up in the wind and came down and hit a jet player and denver recovered

Two plays later, his 11-yard touchdown pass to Howard Griffith cut the score to 10–7. Then the Broncos caught a lucky break when the ensuing kickoff bounced back in their direction and was recovered by linebacker Keith Burns, setting up Jason Elam's 44-yard field goal to tie the game.

that was when the pain started, lol

2 plays killed us.  After going up 10-0 the D gave up a huge bomb to McCaffery.  that stadium was in shock and I think play changed everything in that game.

the 2nd one was up 10-7 and meggett failing to catch the KO and Den recovering and tying the game.

whatever the reason we got the TD and won the game.  sometimes bad calls go against you(most of the time for us) and sometimes they go for you.

whether it was dumb or not it was the rule and we should have scored based on it.  Key was great in EZ situations like that and we scored many times w/ the force out.

It was week 17, a meaningless game for Denver.  Miami had just beaten them to clinch a week earlier. 

Either way, if we lose that game and win the last 3 we still get the 2 seed. 

Disagree with most of this as well. Go figure.

First off, it was not meaningless for Denver. They won their first 13 games, then lost to I think it was the Giants, then they came out flat against the Dolphins. While they didn't need the win in terms of W/L record, they absolutely needed to bounce back. Football is very much a game of confidence and momentum and their momentum in week 17 was back to back losses. Losing 3 in a row, followed by a bye week, could have been terrible for the Broncos. They would have hit the field in the playoffs without having won a football game in over a month. You can't change key past events and then assume everything that happens thereafter would be the same.

IF we lose that game and IF we win the last 3? We interrupted a dominant win-streak to lose to the freaking Colts. How about IF we lose that game and after a heartbreak loss IF we lose 2 of the next 3 to finish 10-6? 

By any sane rules, we also lost to the Seahawks. I don't wish it was reversed. Not then, not now. At the time, just like now, I'm of the haha sucks to be them, or now you know how it feels mindset.  I'm a Jets fan not a Seahawks fan so hey, f*ck 'em. But that doesn't mean I don't know what I know: we should have gotten the loss; we didn't beat them. The league knew it, too. That's why they brought about a huge rule change so season (and in some cases, life) altering events didn't occur because of a phantom bad call. I don't care about "well, back then they temporarily had this utterly idiotic rule to make non-TD passes caught out of bounds count as actual TDs caught in bounds, so in addition to not crossing the plane on the QB sneak we also should have been awarded a TD on a pass caught out of bounds. And further brag that this dopey technicality is what made our Pro Bowl WR as good as he was. It's a weak argument to me, but to each his own.

I'm comfortable admitting we didn't beat them, and can still remain happy we got awarded the win.

Disagree with most of this as well. Go figure.

First off, it was not meaningless for Denver. They won their first 13 games, then lost to I think it was the Giants, then they came out flat against the Dolphins. While they didn't need the win in terms of W/L record, they absolutely needed to bounce back. Football is very much a game of confidence and momentum and their momentum in week 17 was back to back losses. Losing 3 in a row, followed by a bye week, could have been terrible for the Broncos. They would have hit the field in the playoffs without having won a football game in over a month. You can't change key past events and then assume everything that happens thereafter would be the same.

IF we lose that game and IF we win the last 3? We interrupted a dominant win-streak to lose to the freaking Colts. How about IF we lose that game and after a heartbreak loss IF we lose 2 of the next 3 to finish 10-6? 

By any sane rules, we also lost to the Seahawks. I don't wish it was reversed. Not then, not now. At the time, just like now, I'm of the haha sucks to be them, or now you know how it feels mindset.  I'm a Jets fan not a Seahawks fan so hey, f*ck 'em. But that doesn't mean I don't know what I know: we should have gotten the loss; we didn't beat them. The league knew it, too. That's why they brought about a huge rule change so season (and in some cases, life) altering events didn't occur because of a phantom bad call. I don't care about "well, back then they temporarily had this utterly idiotic rule to make non-TD passes caught out of bounds count as actual TDs caught in bounds, so in addition to not crossing the plane on the QB sneak we also should have been awarded a TD on a pass caught out of bounds. And further brag that this dopey technicality is what made our Pro Bowl WR as good as he was. It's a weak argument to me, but to each his own.

I'm comfortable admitting we didn't beat them, and can still remain happy we got awarded the win.

that team was full of confidence, they were a WC team and had to win 2 of 3 games on the road en route to the SB the year before.  whether they beat Seattle or not was not going to change their season.  The only thing they cared about that day was getting TD over 2,000 yds.  keep in mind a week earlier they lost to Miami 31-21, 2 weeks after this game in the playoffs they beat that same Miami team 38-3. 

why would we have lost 2 of the last 3? what about that team suggested that?  overlooking a Colts team we dominated the first time is one thing but overlooking Buf and Miami for the div title? then NE who BP hated in week 17? wasn't happening.

by the rules we should have beaten them w/o the phantom call but at least they made up for it.

it's funny, in 1991(the last year of replay prior to 1999) they reversed a call in the Super Bowl and couldn't save replay but we get a break and they rush it back in.

I hate replay, they still get too many calls wrong and it delays the games.

I don't think the force out rule was temporary, that rule was around for many years.  I am bragging about it? it was a long time rule and teams took advantage of it, Key was great w/ those plays and caught one against Seattle that should have been a TD.  whether you like the rule or not it was a round for a long time and around at the time of that play.

that team was full of confidence, they were a WC team and had to win 2 of 3 games on the road en route to the SB the year before.  whether they beat Seattle or not was not going to change their season.  The only thing they cared about that day was getting TD over 2,000 yds.  keep in mind a week earlier they lost to Miami 31-21, 2 weeks after this game in the playoffs they beat that same Miami team 38-3. 

why would we have lost 2 of the last 3? what about that team suggested that?  overlooking a Colts team we dominated the first time is one thing but overlooking Buf and Miami for the div title? then NE who BP hated in week 17? wasn't happening.

by the rules we should have beaten them w/o the phantom call but at least they made up for it.

it's funny, in 1991(the last year of replay prior to 1999) they reversed a call in the Super Bowl and couldn't save replay but we get a break and they rush it back in.

I hate replay, they still get too many calls wrong and it delays the games.

I don't think the force out rule was temporary, that rule was around for many years.  I am bragging about it? it was a long time rule and teams took advantage of it, Key was great w/ those plays and caught one against Seattle that should have been a TD.  whether you like the rule or not it was a round for a long time and around at the time of that play.

You don't know what would have happened. In 2008 the Titans were "full of confidence" as well. They were 12-1 (1 loss to the Jets :) ). Then they lost 2 of their last 3, but the 1 win was still hanging 3 TDs and more on Pittsburgh's #1 defense, and went 1 and done in the playoffs. So a 12-1 start resulted in a 1-3 finish.

You never know what would have happened. You only know what did happen. 

You don't know what would have happened. In 2008 the Titans were "full of confidence" as well. They were 12-1 (1 loss to the Jets :) ). Then they lost 2 of their last 3, but the 1 win was still hanging 3 TDs and more on Pittsburgh's #1 defense, and went 1 and done in the playoffs. So a 12-1 start resulted in a 1-3 finish.

You never know what would have happened. You only know what did happen. 

were the Titans defending SB champs? who had gone on the road in the div rd and title game the year before to get to the SB?

That team was a veteran team that knew what to do.  Anything can happen in a game but I don't think had they lost to Seattle that they would have lost in the playoffs.

were the Titans defending SB champs? who had gone on the road in the div rd and title game the year before to get to the SB?

That team was a veteran team that knew what to do.  Anything can happen in a game but I don't think had they lost to Seattle that they would have lost in the playoffs.

Relevance of the league's most dominant team not being the SB champs the prior season? Pittsburgh won a SB (such as it was) and then finished 8-8 the next year (7-8 with Roethlisberger). So BFD. There are no guarantees. There are no automatic wins, except in hindsight, or when top teams played against the 90s-era Bengals or similar, but not in the playoffs.

Whether you think so or not does not make it so. I don't think so either. Still doesn't make it so. But they didn't win the SB the prior season by limping through 3 straight losses to end the regular season. They finished with a 38-3 thumping of the 4-11 Bolts. 

Relevance of the league's most dominant team not being the SB champs the prior season? Pittsburgh won a SB (such as it was) and then finished 8-8 the next year (7-8 with Roethlisberger). So BFD. There are no guarantees. There are no automatic wins, except in hindsight, or when top teams played against the 90s-era Bengals or similar, but not in the playoffs.

Whether you think so or not does not make it so. I don't think so either. Still doesn't make it so. But they didn't win the SB the prior season by limping through 3 straight losses to end the regular season. They finished with a 38-3 thumping of the 4-11 Bolts. 

but this team was a vet team and 13-0 at one point.  they weren't the Kerry Collins led Tennessee Titans.

The Van Dyke fumble sealed the game but we were still down 23-10 late in the 4th.  we would have had a chance but that sealed it.

Pepper played great that year in place of Marvin.

2 plays killed us.  After going up 10-0 the D gave up a huge bomb to McCaffery.  that stadium was in shock and I think play changed everything in that game.

the 2nd one was up 10-7 and meggett failing to catch the KO and Den recovering and tying the game.

it never got to meggett I think it hit a wedge guy.  the ball came down around the 30

I remember sitting in a bar in Myrtle Beach, watching the 49ers beat us week one in a game we could have won.

I shook my head, ordered another Pina Colada and said... Fukk me, same ole Jets. 

Who knoew......

hope there was somegood babeage walking around

I am such an a$$hole.

In 1999, I was a freshman in college in New England, finally following the NFL closely (the Pats doing well in the Bledsoe era when I was in high school got me started, but I didn't really watch every Sunday until college).  I remember cheering when Vinny when out with an injury, Mirer threw an INT, and Adam kicked the winning FG.

I didn't realize until years later how much of a sh*tbag it made me for being happy that another human being was significantly injured.

I just wanted to apologize for 18 year old me.

Archived