When I think of the 1998 team

Maxman

I am such an a$$hole.

In 1999, I was a freshman in college in New England, finally following the NFL closely (the Pats doing well in the Bledsoe era when I was in high school got me started, but I didn't really watch every Sunday until college).  I remember cheering when Vinny when out with an injury, Mirer threw an INT, and Adam kicked the winning FG.

I didn't realize until years later how much of a sh*tbag it made me for being happy that another human being was significantly injured.

I just wanted to apologize for 18 year old me.

I hope we break Tom Brady's leg. 

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it never got to meggett I think it hit a wedge guy.  the ball came down around the 30

Meggett needed to be more aggressive, he waited for it to come down.  The conditions seemed to affect us more than Denver w/ that play and the missed chip shot by hall.

Meggett needed to be more aggressive, he waited for it to come down.  The conditions seemed to affect us more than Denver w/ that play and the missed chip shot by hall.

I can't find any video, but I have never seen a kickoff like that in my life, you can't pin it on one guy imho. 

Another strange Mile High moment occurred on the ensuing Elam kickoff. The ball got caught up in the wind and landed about 20 yards short of the return man. After a mad scramble the Broncos’ Keith Burns emerged from the pile with the football. It was essentially a really long onside kick, and the Broncos were back in business. A few plays later, Elam booted a 44-yard field goal that tied the score at 10.

weird stat I found while looking for the video.  that jets team was one of only 4 in NFL history to beat 7 teams that wound up in the playoffs that season

I can't find any video, but I have never seen a kickoff like that in my life, you can't pin it on one guy imho. 

Another strange Mile High moment occurred on the ensuing Elam kickoff. The ball got caught up in the wind and landed about 20 yards short of the return man. After a mad scramble the Broncos’ Keith Burns emerged from the pile with the football. It was essentially a really long onside kick, and the Broncos were back in business. A few plays later, Elam booted a 44-yard field goal that tied the score at 10.

weird stat I found while looking for the video.  that jets team was one of only 4 in NFL history to beat 7 teams that wound up in the playoffs that season

I have the game on tape somewhere, it was on youtube recently but got deleted by the NFL.  I will see if someone puts it back up.

the AFC east sent 4 teams to the playoffs that yeara nd the Jets went 6-0 against the other 3 AFC east teams to make the playoffs.  amazingly enough our lone AFC East loss that year was to 3-13 Indy.  3 of our 4 losses were to bad teams(Bal, SL and Ind).

• 2 months later...

I agree. I have never felt as deflated and had the optimism of a season sucked out of me as brutally quick as I did on opening day of the 99 season. I truly felt that was our year (along with many other Jets fans and even neutral analysts).

What could have been........still pisses me off to this day thinking about Vinny blowing his ACL/MCL/PCL/whateverCL it was that caused him to miss the season.

Sent from my SM-N915T using Tapatalk

I was at that game that Vinny blew out his ACL.  It was typical Jets misfortune.

I feel like after the post you made it should've read:

Sent from my SM-N915T using Tupa-talk

All I can really focus on is how they overachieved big time.

This thread underachieves in its preposterousness.  '98 team was smoking.  BB's defense let us down.  We had that game. We would have annihilated Atlanta.  2nd best Jet team ever.  

This thread underachieves in its preposterousness.  '98 team was smoking.  BB's defense let us down.  We had that game. We would have annihilated Atlanta.  2nd best Jet team ever.  

That's you in hallway when we're celebrating beating Bills next week

envy.jpg

Archived