Woody chose Bowles over Quinn, Kyle Shanahan.

Matt39

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How Jets almost dumped Geno Smith for Kirk Cousins

Geno Smith didn’t know it at the time, but his future with the Jets hung in the balance on that Tuesday afternoon seven months ago.

It was just before 4 o’clock on Jan. 13, a watershed moment for a franchise looking for new leadership.

An exhaustive two-week head coaching search had reached a sensitive stage. The organization’s next decision would be its most critical in years. The wrong choice might prove costly.

Todd Bowles was wrapping up his second interview at the Jets facility. The Cardinals defensive coordinator was solid and steady, but Woody Johnson was still intrigued by Seahawks defensive coordinator Dan Quinn, who had emerged as the most coveted candidate in the league.

FOLLOW THE DAILY NEWS SPORTS ON FACEBOOK. "LIKE" US HERE

Johnson & Co. left their first interview with Quinn in Seattle 12 days earlier enamored with the synergy of the defending Super Bowl champs’ entire operation. The Jets wanted to replicate the dynamic between the coaching staff and front office. The vibe was just right.

Quinn was extremely impressive in the meeting.

The NFL’s restrictive/ridiculous interview rules had prevented Johnson and consultants Charley Casserly and Ron Wolf from talking to Quinn again until the Seahawks were eliminated from the playoffs or the bye week before the Super Bowl, whichever came first.

Johnson was prepared to take his private jet back to the Pacific Northwest on Saturday night, Jan. 10, if the Seahawks had lost to the Panthers in the divisional playoffs to close the deal and hire Quinn.

The Seahawks won, setting in motion a chain of events that brought the Jets to this moment on Jan. 13.

The Jets had heard rumblings that they were Quinn’s top choice. After all, he was a Jersey guy. Coming home made perfect sense, but Jets brass needed iron-clad assurance that Quinn wasn’t wavering in his belief in the Jets. Anything short of that was playing with fire.

They wanted to be absolutely sure that Quinn wanted them as much as they wanted him, but time was running short. Bowles was going to board a plane the next morning for a second interview in Atlanta.

Could the Jets take the chance of letting such an impressive candidate walk out the door?

What if Quinn, who had interviewed with five teams and been mentioned for a late opening in Denver, didn’t have the Jets atop of his wish list?

The smokescreens and shell games during coaching-search processes had turned plenty of teams into fools in the past.

What if the Jets didn’t land Quinn or Bowles?

ERIC HARTLINE/USA TODAY SPORTS A Dan Quinn-coached Jets team possibly would've been led by Kirk Cousins.

The organization needed to make a swift and smart move. Just before 4 p.m., decision makers started to reach out to people who might be able to provide clarity. The next two hours were critical.

They needed to know: Was Quinn in or out?

The Jets weren’t given any guarantees. Yes, Quinn liked the Jets, but the Falcons and others were intriguing, too. That wasn’t good enough for the Jets, who agreed to a deal with Bowles just after 7 o’clock. The Jets might have been smitten with Quinn, but Bowles was hardly a consolation prize.

Atlanta’s patience, meanwhile, paid off. Quinn, whose Falcons will face the Jets on Friday , was hired the day after the Super Bowl.

The Jets’ decision to hire Bowles had a ripple effect that gave Smith new life.

Quinn’s plan had he been hired by the Jets included adding offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan, who resigned as the Browns’ play caller one week after Quinn met with Johnson. Shanahan’s vision didn’t include Smith, according to people familiar with the coordinator’s thinking.

Sources told the Daily News that the former Washington play-caller wanted to trade for former pupil Kirk Cousins, who showed promise in two years under Shanahan. Cousins, stuck behind Robert Griffin III on the depth chart, was Shanahan’s primary target to run his offense in New York.

The Jets’ concurrent head coaching and general manager searches made for an interesting dynamic. Quinn told friends that he wanted to bring former Buccaneers GM Mark Dominik aboard in some capacity.

Although Casserly contacted Dominik, the Jets never formally interviewed him for a front-office role. Shanahan believed that Dominik, who worked for five years in Tampa with Washington president Bruce Allen, could facilitate a deal for Cousins, according to sources.

Shanahan had an affinity for the Washington signal-caller despite his 2-7 record as a starter (with four 100-plus passer rating games) in his three seasons.

Instead, Bowles’ arrival gave Smith a chance at redemption before his jaw was broken in a locker-room altercation last week. Smith would have been marginalized from the get-go under Quinn if/when the Jets traded for Cousins.

“He’d be a middle-of-the-road starter right now,” one NFC scout said of Cousins. “He has all the intangibles to ascend, but needs to make better decisions with the ball.”

Cousins might have been the answer for a franchise that has been desperately searching for a quarterback for five decades. Or he might have made no difference at all.

We’ll never know.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/mehta-jets-dumped-geno-smith-kirk-cousins-article-1.2332700

There's a big difference when someone like Ron Jaworski says "I think Kellen Clemens can be a good QB" as opposed to both Mike Shanahan & Kyle Shanahan saying that "Kirk Cousins is an NFL QB"

Personally I'd love to see us land Kirk Cousins, as his ex coaches say, "he gets better every year".

He might be ready to take the lead role next year.

Quinn is one just more DC who benefited from an above average Defensive minded Head coach. A System guy. Gus Bradley right before him was the same way. I'd rather have Bowles who made his own bones out there.

That and he had an extremely talented defensive roster to work with.

Quinn wouldn't have been a poor hire, but from a pure DC perspective, I think Bowles did more with a lot less in AZ.  Tons of injuries last year yet they made the playoffs with Ryan Lindley at QB.  Quinn pretty much had perfect players in Seattle.  It's easier to see the difference Bowles made compared to Quinn.  Unless Quinn ends up being the better Head Coaching/CEO type personality, I think we made the right call.

There's a big difference when someone like Ron Jaworski says "I think Kellen Clemens can be a good QB" as opposed to both Mike Shanahan & Kyle Shanahan saying that "Kirk Cousins is an NFL QB"

Personally I'd love to see us land Kirk Cousins, as his ex coaches say, "he gets better every year".

He might be ready to take the lead role next year.

What games are you guys watching? Cousins stinks he's a backup at best. Fitz and Geno are both better than him.

Whatever happened to Eddie? He was here a minute ago. Joey and Jackie and Johnny and Phil, Bobby and Tommy and Danny and Bill. What happened? Todd. And Cody and Dylan and Cameron and Tucker. Hi Tucker, I'm Todd. Hi Todd, I'm Tucker. **** Tucker. Tucker sucks. and **** Tucker's friend Kyle.

:biggrin:

One of the best comedy bits, ever.

I dont know what to make of the article.  It sounds like Woody got paranoid and pulled the trigger on his second option.  Is that a good thing?  Probably because Woody is a moron so hopefully the fact he was higher on Quinn is a good thing for the Jets that we wound up with Bowles.

And what does it say about Bowles that his plan included Smith while Quinn's was clearly to get away from him as quick as possible?

I love this team.

cousins can play.   He would be an upgrade from all of the QB's on the jets roster today.   If he entered the draft the same year as geno cousins would have been the 1st QB off the board.  

No he isn't. Dude got benched in favor of Colt ******* McCoy. 

The grass isn't always greener. 

Yea I wouldn't say Woody chose Bowles over Quinn I'd say he was too paranoid about losing both of them and pulled the trigger on Bowles when he had the chance.  Not that I think it's a bad thing so far I like what Bowles brings to the table but in all honesty it sounds like Quinn was his guy he just couldn't get any guarantees and with the Seahawks playing the Super Bowl Bowles would've been gone by then.

I think cousins has more potential than Geno having said that I just love these total speculation pieces by door knob writers.  Quinn liked Shanahan, Shanahan like cousins there for the jets are automatically going to trade for cousins.

Now lets make the whole gist of the story that because the Jets got Bowles they like Geno better than cousins.

Quinn wouldn't have been a poor hire, but from a pure DC perspective, I think Bowles did more with a lot less in AZ.  Tons of injuries last year yet they made the playoffs with Ryan Lindley at QB.  Quinn pretty much had perfect players in Seattle.  It's easier to see the difference Bowles made compared to Quinn.  Unless Quinn ends up being the better Head Coaching/CEO type personality, I think we made the right call.

I honestly think that Quinn has more potential to bust than Bowles. Not hard to run Pete Carroll's defense with a stocked roster. Bowles was named assistant coach of the year by putting out a top unit with some patchwork pieces entirely on his own. And so far, he seems to be very focused on being a complete head coach. Be interesting to see if he or Rogers is calling the defense once the regular season gets started.

I honestly think that Quinn has more potential to bust than Bowles. Not hard to run Pete Carroll's defense with a stocked roster. Bowles was named assistant coach of the year by putting out a top unit with some patchwork pieces entirely on his own. And so far, he seems to be very focused on being a complete head coach. Be interesting to see if he or Rogers is calling the defense once the regular season gets started.

I was thinking about that the other day.  I dont recall it perfectly but I remember watching like a roundtable type of interview with a bunch of coaches...one of them being Marvin Lewis and Bowles was on the panel too.  The question was asked to the table, do you recommend calling the plays on whatever side of the ball you came from?  And Marvin's take was no, he doesnt call the D because all the real decisions that need to be made are on offense.  Therefore, he rather be on the offensive radio and let this DC call the plays. 

This is where it gets unclear...I think Bowles said he would not be calling plays but I cant remember perfectly. 

I was thinking about that the other day. I dont recall it perfectly but I remember watching like a roundtable type of interview with a bunch of coaches...one of them being Marvin Lewis and Bowles was on the panel too. The question was asked to the table, do you recommend calling the plays on whatever side of the ball you came from? And Marvin's take was no, he doesnt call the D because all the real decisions that need to be made are on offense. Therefore, he rather be on the offensive radio and let this DC call the plays.

This is where it gets unclear...I think Bowles said he would not be calling plays but I cant remember perfectly.

I'm pretty sure he's said in interviews that he won't call plays.

I'm pretty sure he's said in interviews that he won't call plays.

Bowles hasn't made a decision on this yet.  He will judge the 2nd and 3rd preseason game and how Kacey Rogers does playcalling and then decide whether he feels the need to call plays in reg season.

No he isn't. Dude got benched in favor of Colt ******* McCoy. 

The grass isn't always greener. 

and Geno was benched for an aged, broken down vick who is now out of football - what does that say about Geno?    

Cousins is an upgrade from Geno.  As I said before, if Cousins had come out one year later he would have been the first QB taken in the draft - well ahead of Geno.   

Archived