RG3 hurt, Scherff gets dominated at G

Jetlife33

Robert Griffin III suffers concussion in Redskins preseason game

Michael Middlehurst-Schwartz, USA TODAY Sports 11:33 p.m. EDT August 20, 2015
635757103165431657-USP-NFL-PRESEASON-DET

(Photo: Brad Mills, USA TODAY Sports)

180CONNECT 153TWEETLINKEDIN 8COMMENTEMAILMORE

Washington Redskins quarterback Robert Griffin III suffered a concussion in Thursday's preseason game against the Detroit Lions when he was hit while attempting to recover a fumble, coach Jay Gruden said.

Gruden said he was unsure when Griffin would be able to return to action but would be the team's starter when healthy. The fourth-year signal-caller will have to go through the league's concussion protocol before he is cleared for action.

Griffin also left the game with a stinger, but Gruden said that injury was not an issue.

Lions defensive end Corey Wootton tackled Griffin in the second quarter and appeared to land on the quarterback's shoulder. Griffin remained on the field for several minutes while medical staff attended to him, though he walked off with trainers and gave fans a thumbs-up signal.

The team ruled Griffin out for the remainder of the game, though it was unlikely he would have played beyond the remainder of the series.

Griffin was under constant pressure Thursday, taking three sacks and several hits through four series. He was 2-of-5 passing for 8 yards and fumbled twice before leaving the game.

Colt McCoy, Griffin's replacement and backup, threw for 80 yards and a touchdown on 5-of-6 passing in the Redskins' 21-17 win.

Griffin has struggled to stay healthy throughout his NFL career and endured a midseason benching by Gruden last season to reclaim his starter status this year. Earlier in the week, he created a stir when he said he believed he was the best quarterback in the league.

The "smart fans" know OG the safest pick you can make in the top half of the draft. That's why you hear them every year calling for a first round guard, like clockwork

The "smart fans" also judge a rookie based on his 2nd preseason game.

Even a very good guard isn't worth taking top 10.  And if he fails to meet expectations (Chance Warmack, Jonathan Cooper) it's a catastrophic pick.  If you're going to get a guy incapable of playing the tackle spots that high in the draft, you had better get an elite player. 

While it is too early to say anything about Scherff as a guard one way or the other based on just 2 preseason games, the fact that he isn't likely going to be playing LT or even RT during his career means that choosing him over Leonard Williams is already an awful decision.

Even a very good guard isn't worth taking top 10.  And if he fails to meet expectations (Chance Warmack, Jonathan Cooper) it's a catastrophic pick.  If you're going to get a guy incapable of playing the tackle spots that high in the draft, you had better get an elite player. 

While it is too early to say anything about Scherff as a guard one way or the other based on just 2 preseason games, the fact that he isn't likely going to be playing LT or even RT during his career means that choosing him over Leonard Williams is already an awful decision.

Leonard hasn't shown anything as of yet also albeit 1 preseason game where he had zero tackles/pressures.  But again that was 1 preseason game... which means ZERO  :/

Leonard hasn't shown anything as of yet also albeit 1 preseason game where he had zero tackles/pressures.  But again that was 1 preseason game... which means ZERO  :/

I'm talking from a value perspective.  Williams only just turned 21, plays a position that the NFL values very highly, showed many flashes of dominance at the college level, and is just a freak athlete if you put much stock into things like Sports Science (who admittedly also touted Dee Milliner).  Guards just can't impact a game like a DT can.  So even if Williams ends up just a pretty good DT and Scherff ends up a top 10 guard, Williams will have more value to the NFL.

Obviously, it's only 1 preseason game but I think if you take a freaking Guard of all positions at 5, they should be ready to rock day 1.  But this dude, wasnt even an elite prospect and they still took him. haha.  Teams should have learned their lesson from the Warmack/Cooper debacle but Washington doesnt learn lessons, thankfully. 

Obviously, it's only 1 preseason game but I think if you take a freaking Guard of all positions at 5, they should be ready to rock day 1.  But this dude, wasnt even an elite prospect and they still took him. haha.  Teams should have learned their lesson from the Warmack/Cooper debacle but Washington doesnt learn lessons, thankfully. 

Meh!!!!  Another DT!

Leonard hasn't shown anything as of yet also albeit 1 preseason game where he had zero tackles/pressures. But again that was 1 preseason game... which means ZERO :/

You'd love your top 10 picks to dominate out the gate but it's hard to do and doesn't mean they're not good when they struggle at this point.

Leonard did not look good last week- I watched him, very rudimentary technique, didn't look NFL strong. I think we will be disappointed with his play this year but he'll be great in 2-4 years down the road.

RGIII is shot....done. Guy is cardboard.

The hit that gave him his latest concussion was almost non existent on replay.

Tyrod Taylor on the other hand looks pretty damn good.

I fear the Bills this season. They could really challenge for the division this year.

I'm talking from a value perspective.  Williams only just turned 21, plays a position that the NFL values very highly, showed many flashes of dominance at the college level, and is just a freak athlete if you put much stock into things like Sports Science (who admittedly also touted Dee Milliner).  Guards just can't impact a game like a DT can.  So even if Williams ends up just a pretty good DT and Scherff ends up a top 10 guard, Williams will have more value to the NFL.

That is so wrong that top guards can't impact a game like a Dt can. I guess you never saw Larry Allen , and Will Shields play- who dominated many of the top Dt's. ( ask running backs who ran behind those stud guards how much impact they had). Without a doubt Gabe Jackson Lg is the Raiders best Olineman , and destined for many pro bowls. (i'll take my chances with him lineup against any Dt.

That is so wrong that top guards can't impact a game like a Dt can. I guess you never saw Larry Allen , and Will Shields play- who dominated many of the top Dt's. ( ask running backs who ran behind those stud guards how much impact they had). Without a doubt Gabe Jackson Lg is the Raiders best Olineman , and destined for many pro bowls. (i'll take my chances with him lineup against any Dt.

You're speaking of 3 Hall of Fame guards.  All of whom played when running games meant a lot more than they do today.  I'm not talking about that.  I'm talking about a very good DT being better than a top 10 guard.  Like I said, if you're going to draft a guard in the top 10, he had better end up an elite player.  Otherwise it's a horrible pick.  If Scherff ends up a Hall of Famer we'll re-visit this.  For now it was a poor decision by the Redskins.  Much like the Cardinals messed up by taking Jonathan Cooper and the Titans messed up by taking Chance Warmack, both in the top 10.

Just look at the payscale of DT's vs OG's for evidence.  It's not even close.  6 DT's are scheduled to make over $9M per.  No guards are making that kind of money, with Logan Mankins topping out at $8.5M per.  You know, the same Logan Mankins the Patriots got rid of and still cheated their way to a Super Bowl.  Followed by Mike Iupati, who the Cardinals signed in part because Cooper isn't working out like they'd hoped.

RG III was getting crushed the whole time he was in there.  I give the kid credit for hanging in the pocket and delivering.

and maybe Gruden is an a**hole for leaving Scherff in with the ones and getting his QB killed.   Hmm sounds a little like a HC we used to have......

RGIII is shot....done. Guy is cardboard.

The hit that gave him his latest concussion was almost non existent on replay.

Tyrod Taylor on the other hand looks pretty damn good.

I fear the Bills this season. They could really challenge for the division this year.

Taylor looks like he plays for a junior high school team, he's not going to last long.

Wut?  You mean Scherff actually has to play guard unlike all the guys that had him penciled in as our lt when they wanted to draft him last year?

That was hilarious back then and even more so now.  This guy is way to stiff and slow to successfully play LT in the NFL.  We have a better chance of Jarvis Harrison making that move as he is a much better athlete and we got him in the 5th round... 

it is common for rookie OL to have problems their first year. it's a mans job and alot of these guys are not physically mature enough to handle an NFL DT.  I remember Brick having an up and down rookie year. It happens. 

Doesn't mean Scherff isn't a bust but it is a common thing. 

it is common for rookie OL to have problems their first year. it's a mans job and alot of these guys are not physically mature enough to handle an NFL DT.  I remember Brick having an up and down rookie year. It happens. 

Even if he develops into a pro bowl guard, it was still a bad move to take him at #5.

Dbrick started at LT day one a FAR more demanding position.  The reason people are beaking at Scherff is that he was a top 5 pick......who the experts predicted would be a guard.  And also the fact we had people on our forums wanting to draft him and projecting him to be a LT.  If you draft a guard at 5 he better be damn good from almost day one.

Archived