Semi-Official Concert Review Thread

Bugg

So far-

The Who in AC and again at Barclays. A great stage show, a great band, and a pile of great songs to choose from. This is not the band I saw in 1979 at MSG, but still very solid.Slight downside is they are more wedded to the lights and videos than they were back then, but that's a small complaint. SHould note no venue lets any band play past 11PM unless the band wants to start paying the venue. SO playing until 1AM like GNR or any other of the big time bands is a thing of the past. 

Billy Joel at MSG. Guy looks really old (older than Townsend or Daltrey who are both older) but he can still power  through a 2+ hour set of tons of hits. 

Van Halen at Jones Beach. Eddie Van Halen does a few solos that save the show. He and his son also do the backing vocals, which is a very good thing. Because DaviD Lee Roth is SHOT. Often  he doesn't bother to sing at all, letting the audience and Wolfgang and Eddie handle the choruses, and he sticks the mike into the audience every song. When he tries to sing, it's awfulness, like a bad kareoke DLR. No wonder they are not selling out. 

Jason Aldean and Kenny Chesney at the craphole last weekend; a good time. 58,000 very drunk white people partying to some decent country Looking forward to a similar experience at  Zac Brown Band at new Shea this evening. 

Also saw Miles Kennedy and the Conspirators featuring Slash in May at the Starland. Good news/bad news; Slash is tremendous, but the new music gets short shrift in favor of GNR(done very well, better than the Axel cover act for certain), and nobody is gonna tell him a 20 minutes solo gets boring real fast. SImply Slash is not Eddie Van Halen. A decent show. FUnny that he is so used to playing huge arenas and stadiums that he roams the small club stage with impunity like it's the Rose Bowl that he bumps into his bandmates all night. 

• Thumb Down 1

Past few months have been:

Run the Jewels a bunch of times - Best live act in hip-hop right now bar none.

Action Bronson at House of Blues - ******* hilarious show.

TV on the Radio at The Vic - Still a punk band at their core and they haven't lost a step.

My Morning Jacket at Red Rocks - Venue lives up to every ounce of the hype.

Saw the Who at New Orleans Jazz Fest. They were much better than I expected. Daultry still belts it out. The dude playing the drums is much more Moon than Rogers. Entwistle is much missed, however.

Recently saw Zappa Plays Zappa at the Beacon, and if you're a fan, they're well worth the price of admission. Dweezil can Really play guitar, and he bring out other great guitarists to light a fire under each other. The guy doing the Zappa vocals is spot on, too. Plan to make this an annual thing.

Have a few shows coming up in the fall. Joe Jackson, Robyn Hitchcock, Tame Impala... Let's see how this thread goes and I'll report back.

Zack Starkey is the road drummer for the Who. He also still tours with Oasis. His dad is Ringo Starr.Often said Ringo was not the best drummer in the Beatles, and he's not even the best drummer in his own family. As it happens Ringo was great friends with Keith Moon and there are photos of Moon giving young Zach some pointers all over the web. 

Zack Starkey is the road drummer for the Who. He also still tours with Oasis. His dad is Ringo Starr.Often said Ringo was not the best drummer in the Beatles, and he's not even the best drummer in his own family. As it happens Ringo was great friends with Keith Moon and there are photos of Moon giving young Zach some pointers all over the web.

That's really cool. I'm a huge Beatle fan (who's come to believe that Ringo is very underrated) and a little disappointed I didn't know that.

Recently saw Zappa Plays Zappa at the Beacon, and if you're a fan, they're well worth the price of admission. Dweezil can Really play guitar, and he bring out other great guitarists to light a fire under each other. The guy doing the Zappa vocals is spot on, too. Plan to make this an annual thing.

Interesting, I'll have to check it out.

I was there....  Im in Charlotte. Where are you?

I'm in Jacksonville, FL.  Bergen Jet lives in Greensboro. I went to him because his wife was 8 months pregnant so MSG was out of the question for him this tour. 

Jacob's Ladder and Camera Eye were huge highlights for me. Also loved hearing How It Is live for the first time. 

BIG FAN... Have seen them many times.  Here are 2 pics of me back stage. one is ON stage pre-show in front of the kit.  Thats me next to Geddy.

599188_4820193151125_1439651603_n.jpg

69536_4820193311129_348120310_n.jpg

Saw the great Rush doc on AXS a few months back. Neil Peart is adamant that he won't do those meet and greets, and even some musicians who did meet him  found him kinda off putting. But clear he is simply a very private person rather than a jerk. Rough quote-Peart  loved Keith Moon and the WHo, but to meet them is too intrusive, obnoxious and he couldn't imagine doing it. To him, his music is enough. 

Saw the great Rush doc on AXS a few months back. Neil Peart is adamant that he won't do those meet and greets, and even some musicians who did meet him  found him kinda off putting. But clear he is simply a very private person rather than a jerk. Rough quote-Peart  loved Keith Moon and the WHo, but to meet them is too intrusive, obnoxious and he couldn't imagine doing it. To him, his music is enough. 

Yeah, I am a huge fan and have read about the band, seen the movies etc.   I respect his decision.  My 1st show was Hemispheres in 1979 in NYC.

I can tell you.. Alex is totally kool. I had wine with them the night of the show in a small VIP room. Client of mine is a close friend of Alex. There were no more than 12 in the room, Alex, Geddy no Neal of course.

Also..sound check is totally amazing.  5pm, the band walks in to an empty arena and plays 3 songs in front of perhaps 25 people.

have seen them perhaps 10 times.

Saw the Wheels of Soul tour in my hometown recently. Tedeschi Trucks Band, Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings, and Doyle Bramhall II. Doyle was incredible, like Hendrix on heroin man. Dap Kings were great but I found Sharon Jones to be pretty standard fare in her genre. TTB was outta sight. Derek was really going over the top and out there with his jams. I miss his jazzier side from his days before joining up with Susan, but they really are one hell of a force together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, I am a huge fan and have read about the band, seen the movies etc.   I respect his decision.  My 1st show was Hemispheres in 1979 in NYC.

I can tell you.. Alex is totally kool. I had wine with them the night of the show in a small VIP room. Client of mine is a close friend of Alex. There were no more than 12 in the room, Alex, Geddy no Neal of course.

Also..sound check is totally amazing.  5pm, the band walks in to an empty arena and plays 3 songs in front of perhaps 25 people.

have seen them perhaps 10 times.

So jealous. 

BIG FAN... Have seen them many times.  Here are 2 pics of me back stage. one is ON stage pre-show in front of the kit.  Thats me next to Geddy.

599188_4820193151125_1439651603_n.jpg

69536_4820193311129_348120310_n.jpg

COOOL !!!!

we had such a blast.  I have to admit I didn't know all the songs, lol.   I was thrilled my sons first ever show was  RUSH

• 1 month later...

i saw blur last night at MSG after years (decades?) of waiting!

Suffice to say after 20 years it seems they have beaten Oasis in battle for "Kings of Britpop"

unbelievable show

here is a vid from LA a few nights prior

Funny, I was in the MSG Theater the same night for String Cheese Incident.  Hell of a show, been almost 15 years since I saw them last, they sounded great!  Also saw Twiddle with The Werks at Stone Pony not too long ago.  The Werks were out of this world good, great jams.  Twiddle was awesome as well but a little more for the kiddies in the hippie jam scene. 

Ive seen zappa plays zappa twice this year. Very good.....not great though in fact theres a local zappa tribute band thats been around for 20 years called bogus pomp who are more authentic (they have a vibes player).

just saw warren haynes sunday with his new band....good stuff. This weekend im going with the rv to hulaween looking forward to dumpstafunk, joe russos almost dead, papadisio, lettuce, and they new kings of prog, TAUK

Don't recall summer tickets going on sale 10 months in advance, but money is moneyTickets for the summer leg of Black Sabbath's really last final tour forever go on sale Saturday, presale right now if you have a citibank card. 

Kenny Chesney at metLife go on sale for his paid fan club 11/11, the free fan club 11/13, general public 11/20.

http://kennychesney.com/fanclub/

Disguising that on line "after market" scalper scumbags have tickets to both already. did any PSL people get MetLife offers, or was that another BS piece of ...Jets quality marketing? 

went to see dead and company at MSG last sunday night.....it was my first time seeing a "proper dead show" ( i know, without Jerry it is nothing lol)!  I have seen Bobby solo and sitting in with other bands a few times

i was blown away by John Mayers playing! that boy has skills

was a lil disappointed by lack of "shakedown Street" before the show but its 7th ave, what do you expect

my frend who is a huge deadhead from back in the day said halloween was the best "post jerry' show he has ever seen....including chicago

had a great time! 

• Upvote 1