Sign in to follow this  
Bugg

Semi-Official Concert Review Thread

Just saw Corea / Gadd band at the blue note. To old timers that have for the most kept thier chops flanked by some great younger players.  One of the better shows Ive seen in awhile, not sure where the tour is taking them but if you are a jazz fan it's worth checking out 

Registered members do not see this ad. Click here to create your free account today.
Registered members do not see this ad. Click here to create your free account today.

Saw Brand X at the Iridium last night. Sat right in front of them,

John Goodsall and Percy Jones of the original band were there with new members, Chris Clark on the keys, a great drummer I couldn't catch the name of and Scott Weinberger (ex-Adrian Belew drummer) replacing the late Morris Pert on percussion.

Goodsall played, of all things, a solid body Gretch through a M-B head and cab. He is still in fine form but  I would have liked to hear the brand new looking PRS he had on the stage as a backup. His board had only had 4 pedals bit I could see them from where I sat. One was a tuner and one a boost. He never hit the other two but one had to be  chorus based on his sound. His signature lick is still in force with not much new from him over the decades. They did "And So to F ..." so he had plenty of time to stretch out but stuck to the old riff from the record, not that it wasn't excellent to begin with.

Jones played a 5 string fretless Ibanez that I assumed was custom. He was amazing. I love how he plays the electric like a sideways upright. He even did a solo alone on stage with a looper or premade background track. 

The new keyboard player (with a Motif, Nord lead and Studio Logic) was superb and nailed all Lumley and Robinson's old parts. The drummer was very talented and worthy of sitting in that chair. Scott Weinberger almost stole the show. He had less odd sounds than Pert and served as a second drummer, but was very entertaining. 

Set list was many of their classics, playing was enthusiastic and EVERYONE looked old. The band, crew and especially the audience.

The Iridium is a bar with table seating so you are always looking sideways, in a crowded spot and actually too close to the stage. I would have preferred a more traditional concert venue than a bar gig.

Bottom line is that fusion is alive, barely. It will die with the 70's music fans as they fade away. Shame that. In the meantime, there are two more shows tonight (8p and 10p) at the Iridium ($40 online and $45 at the door) 

11 hours ago, Dcat said:

saw Tedeschi-Trucks at the Beacon on Saturday. What a great show!  Highly recommend next time they come around.  

What did you think of Trey and the 30 min mountain jam? 

My friend was there and hated it. Some people hate jams they want singing. 

How bad could it be? Trey and derrick jamming? Lol id watch for hours with a bag of shrooms.

glad to see yoko silenced for a while

On 10/17/2017 at 7:17 AM, CTM said:

What did you think of Trey and the 30 min mountain jam? 

I loved it.  The wife not so much.  But I was an Allman Bros. fanatic.  She didn't like them much.