Jets \ Falcons: Preseason Game Thread

Maxman

Obviously one of your many Masters degree's isn't in feminism, I'm tired of your sexist, ignorant putdowns

#Likeagirl

Holy crap if u r a guy...what a fag pansy comment. Get over it grow up. Life will be hard for you if that bothers you. If u r a girl...well then..... I dunno. Wanna f?

• Replies 729
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Starting Petty is a guaranteed losing season.  Which makes no sense considering the Jets have just put a ton of money into veteran free agents.  We are not in a rebuild here!

Fitz gives us at least a chance for the playoffs and who knows what can happen then.

Our First team, the only thing that matters, has looked putrid in PS.  We had no pressure on Ryan, and our O was basically shakedown and small running gains..  sorry not good enough.  I know that everything is very vanilla and that it doesn't matter, but its hard to see how moving to more complicated things is going to make us better relatively speaking given that we are in the first year systems.

No pressure on all 5 pass plays that Ryan had, and one of which was a gorgeous pass that went for 60 some yards.  Then the defense seemed to stop them on 3rd down after the Hester punt return, albeit an iffy holding call on Revis.  That TD is a result of special teams IMO though.  In the first two weeks we have gone up against Stafford and Ryan throwing against soft zone defenses.  

No gameplanning.  

The offense is a little concerning.  Ivory looks good, and Marshall look good though.  

And for how terrible the defense played:

GQ3zMTID_normal.jpgConnor Hughes @Connor_J_Hughes 

The #Jets defense allowed 86 yards on the #Falcons first drive of the game. The rest of the first half they allowed 1 net yard. 1.

The defense was bad, just like the special teams. The Falcons actual starters played less then 4 minutes and put up 14 points

The defense was bad, just like the special teams. The Falcons actual starters played less then 4 minutes and put up 14 points

facts.. at the rate things were going Falcons would of blew us out if this was a regular season game.. 

i have legit concerns on both sides of the ball when it comes to the starters. they haven't play well.

I really wish that the ball that Petty had thrown into the end zone and the DB had in his hands would have been held onto (Enunwa needs to make a better play on that ball), and the fumble that Petty had a play or two later would have been recovered by the Atlanta.  Then maybe this lets start Petty stuff would be limited.  

I am one of Petty's biggest fans, so much so that I wanted him to come out last year in hopes we would draft him, he could sit a year, and be ready this year.  IMO, his footwork was better last week, his overall mechanics were better last week, his pocket awareness was better last week, and his decision making was better last week.  

Petty did show more confidence this week, which is great, and I think he will continue to grow, IMO.  However, I think he needs the time to learn the pro style game, let the game slow down, take the mental reps, and fine tune his mechanics.

Ultimately, it doesn't matter what any of us think, if Bowles thinks it is time to give him his shot, great, if not, great.  One positive sign, which I thought would take longer to develop, is taking snaps from under center.  

I really wish that the ball that Petty had thrown into the end zone and the DB had in his hands would have been held onto (Enunwa needs to make a better play on that ball), and the fumble that Petty had a play or two later would have been recovered by the Atlanta. Then maybe this lets start Petty stuff would be limited.

I am one of Petty's biggest fans, so much so that I wanted him to come out last year in hopes we would draft him, he could sit a year, and be ready this year. IMO, his footwork was better last week, his overall mechanics were better last week, his pocket awareness was better last week, and his decision making was better last week.

Petty did show more confidence this week, which is great, and I think he will continue to grow, IMO. However, I think he needs the time to learn the pro style game, let the game slow down, take the mental reps, and fine tune his mechanics.

Ultimately, it doesn't matter what any of us think, if Bowles thinks it is time to give him his shot, great, if not, great. One positive sign, which I thought would take longer to develop, is taking snaps from under center.

I'm gonna give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you meant "better than last week".

Again, 80 yards against with 62 on one play. How bad were they, why would you be worried

this is kind of true. there was th eone play where coples (who shouldnt be in coverage) let up a huge play and put the defense in a tough spot where they had to be perfect. and then there was the punt return that also put the defense defending the endzone yet again. the only thing i really took away from it was the coples looked bad in coverage

apparently the coples blown coverage wasn't just him, i think someone else was supposed to help him out.  seems like the secondary needs more time on the new defense, cro and skirne blew the td coverage as well.  they're saying miscommunication, they have 3 weeks to fix it.

one thing i will say about fitz, is that his goal is to get the ball out quickly, and watching him in this offense even last night it's clear that geno's inability to see the field and get the ball out quickly may be his worst flaw.  i don't mind the dumpoffs to rbs, powell could really thrive in this offense if they could stop the oline penalties.  and i also think the offense will evolve when amaro and devin smith are healthy.  

the team has a nice blend of vets and young talent.  i think the offense will be better than people think and the defense will be worse, and they'll use a run-oriented ball / short pass ball control offense which is exactly what rex always wanted to do but never had the veteran qb to do it.  the intriguing consideration is watching petty play, you can see the talent and he looks more like the prototypical pocket passer, way more than geno.  

Yup, 85 yards in he first half is horrible.

Just as the claim that the Falcons starters played less than 4 minutes.

this is kind of true. there was th eone play where coples (who shouldnt be in coverage) let up a huge play and put the defense in a tough spot where they had to be perfect. and then there was the punt return that also put the defense defending the endzone yet again. the only thing i really took away from it was the coples looked bad in coverage

They got a great mismatch with Coples covering and the right D called. It's another preseason of calling holds and PI tight, the call on Revis was bad. Either way, not as bad as 14-0 would lead you to believe.

Regarding the defense, we're missing Mo Wilkerson & Sheldon Richardson! 2 players ranked in the TOP 100 in the freaking NFL!

That's huge playing a QB like Matt Ryan.

They gave up 1 big play & were on their heels after bad special teams.

Preseason is like pitch & catch for elite QBs & Ryan has always been just slightly behind some of the best.

No game planning, guys learning systems, usually always guys sitting out with bumps & bruises.

Like Alan Iverson use to say....PRACTICE.

Why do u think people ALWAYS talk about the 3rd preseason game.

2015 NY Jets are a work in progress, lost their starting QB and should get better as the weeks progress.

Luckily we get the Browns at home who are very weak offensively.

Unfortunately, we play the Colts on the road in the 2nd week & that game could get REALLY UGLY! Colts play real fast, bad matchup for us that early. They'll stack the box & squeeze Fitz with their speed & Luck will put too much pressure on our still learning defense.

Not looking forward to that game.

But who knows. Weird stuff happens in the NFL, Andre Johnson could tweak a hamstring in game one & Revis stones TY Hilton.

Very excited about Petty, dude reminds me of Favre.

Agree with everyone here, let's let Gailey bring him along properly and we might have something. What he does have is just a way about him that makes you feel he excites the team around him. Keep in mind that Petty really knows how to move around & he could be Andrew Luck like by taking advantage of the leagues protection of the QB. Luck has become a MASTER of knowing when to duck down, or take on a small CB for extra yerdage, I could see Bryce being that type of QB.

That sh*t pumps up the entire team. The other thing is the arm strength to get 7 points with one heave of the ball. That pumps up the defense.

Go Jets!

EAST RUTHERFORD — The Jets may have beaten the Falcons, 30-22, in Friday night's preseason game at MetLife Stadium. But the victory wasn't without a toll.

A total of six players—including three who sustained concussions—left the game with injuries, according to head coach Todd Bowles.

• Wide receiver Jeremy Kerley (concussion)

• Safety Durell Eskride (concussion)

• Running back Daryl Richardson (concussion)

• Left tackle Ben Ijalana (knee)

• Wide receiver Shaq Evans (back sprain)

• Cornerback Dashaun Phillips (ribs

I haven't read the thread, so sorry if this has already been said.  I know it was only a pre-season game.  But Williams is a friggin' monster.

For once, maybe the stars aligned right for us when he was the available pick.  I did not realize he was so huge and quick.  Can't wait to see him rip apart QBs in the regular season.

Watching the game on DVR, I noticed many Jet fans over react to every play. I might try a season watching games without being on the forums. There was one play with Coples that accounted for 75% of the yards they gave up.  The punt return put D at own 3 yard line.  Cro will be the biggest issue in the secondary all year.  Teams will exploit him.  Petty wasn't perfect, but he made some progress from last week.  I just want him to continue to get a half of every PS game.  Fitz won't wow anyone with his down field throws, but Tom Brady doesn't throw downfield either.  Maybe we can dink and dunk ourselves to some wins.  Marshall still has a lot left in the tank.  Williams could even be better than Richardson.  That DL will be great when he returns if Mo can get healthy. Coples should have his hand in the dirt.  Colon downfield in a passing lane and running into Decker was ridiculous.  I wish we would sign Mathis and let Ivory carry this offense.

I haven't read the thread, so sorry if this has already been said. I know it was only a pre-season game. But Williams is a friggin' monster.

For once, maybe the stars aligned right for us when he was the available pick. I did not realize he was so huge and quick. Can't wait to see him rip apart QBs in the regular season.

He's already a better pick than Gholston was on PS performances alone. At least that's out of the way....

Someone else posted something about Trump earlier. why didn't he get yelled at?

It speaks to context, as anyone who rated your post (and the rest, who thought it even unworthy of their effort) can attest to.

Typing a person's name, whether it's one holding or running for political office, doesn't therefore make it a political post. People mention the president, too, in ways that are politically innocuous (e.g. a certain Super Bowl winning* QB showing his utter lack of class in skipping a ring ceremony with President Obama). It's one thing to type the president's (or any candidate's) name; it's another thing to say he's whatever positive or derogatory term for obvious politically-motivated/politically-biased reasons.

The earlier post you're referencing was neither pro- or anti- Trump. It was just a post alluding to a much-repeated line of his (think it went something like, "I wish Trump would make the Jets great again," and it was posted while the Jets were getting their asses handed to them for the 2nd week in a row, on the heels of a wealth of bad player publicity, and multiple crappy seasons before this one).  

It was just a funny, clever comment that expressed neither like nor dislike of him as a presidential candidate or as a person. The latter comment, by a different poster, left little doubt and was glaringly out of place.

I can't imagine that you seriously don't see the difference.

Coples should not be out trying to cover a running back - one big play - vanilla defense right now we a couple of people missing.

I was more impressed with progress I saw from Petty.

reading the papers today, there was a blown coverage on that play.  coples shouldn't be able to cover that guy, but the fact that after he got by coples the entire side of the field was vacant - that's the real problem.  where was just one guy in the secondary to knock him out of bounds for a gain of 15 yards?  that was pathetic.  also cro and skirne had a miscommunication on the td pass.  

apparently the coples blown coverage wasn't just him, i think someone else was supposed to help him out.  seems like the secondary needs more time on the new defense, cro and skirne blew the td coverage as well.  they're saying miscommunication, they have 3 weeks to fix it.

one thing i will say about fitz, is that his goal is to get the ball out quickly, and watching him in this offense even last night it's clear that geno's inability to see the field and get the ball out quickly may be his worst flaw.  i don't mind the dumpoffs to rbs, powell could really thrive in this offense if they could stop the oline penalties.  and i also think the offense will evolve when amaro and devin smith are healthy.  

the team has a nice blend of vets and young talent.  i think the offense will be better than people think and the defense will be worse, and they'll use a run-oriented ball / short pass ball control offense which is exactly what rex always wanted to do but never had the veteran qb to do it.  the intriguing consideration is watching petty play, you can see the talent and he looks more like the prototypical pocket passer, way more than geno.  

I hope you are right. Because having Coples chase people down field for 50 yards isn't going to be fun to watch. Hope that isn't the plan.

I hope you are right. Because having Coples chase people down field for 50 yards isn't going to be fun to watch. Hope that isn't the plan.

i can't imagine coples having responsibility for the entire half of the field.  the guy wasn't even fast.  david harris could have tracked him down.  

that said, i just don't see coples flashing enough in general.  look at maudlin and leonard williams already, they flash.  maudlin leveled the qb last week but they called a dubious penalty.  coples disappears too much, his main value is his long arms to deflect passes and cause fumbles but it doesn't happen enough.  bottom line the defense needs wilk and hopefully trich at some point.  

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playbyplay?gameId=400791737&period=1

They played 3:41, you're on point as always. T.J. Yates started the second quarter . Amazing job by the defense holding the starters to those 14 points

No sh1t they changed the QB. The rest of the starters were in. But hey, either way, 226 yards to 86. 5 rushing yard against. 62 of the passing yards on one play. A bad STs play. Did this not happen?

What's your point? Other than you don't have one?

No sh1t they changed the QB. The rest of the starters were in. But hey, either way, 226 yards to 86. 5 rushing yard against. 62 of the passing yards on one play. A bad STs play. Did this not happen?

What's your point? Other than you don't have one?

Whatever makes you feel better about getting humiliated the one quarter that was relevant. Carry on being smart

Whatever makes you feel better about getting humiliated the one quarter that was relevant. Carry on being smart

So your explanation for 85 yards to 226 etc is you're smarter?

If you feel humiliated over preseason football, I feel sorry for you. You must lead a really miserable life.

So your explanation for 85 yards to 226 etc is you're smarter?

If you feel humiliated over preseason football, I feel sorry for you. You must lead a really miserable life.

Preseason football does prove 1 important thing and that is preseason football means nothing.. :winking0001:

Archived