Jets \ Falcons: Preseason Game Thread

Maxman

• Replies 729
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No game planing trying new combinations to see how they work plus getting to see as many new players as possible before the cuts..

All kinds of different combinations of players in situations they don't usually play...a starting QB who's not healthy yet, it goes on and on.

So your explanation for 85 yards to 226 etc is you're smarter?

If you feel humiliated over preseason football, I feel sorry for you. You must lead a really miserable life.

I don't recall saying I was humiliated, I'm not on the Jets first team. I'd say I'm little disappointed but I've gotten used to that. You keep regurgitating the same crap you found on twitter. I'll go off what I actually watched on TV and we'll agree to disagree

How can one say that the team is not good at football, but without drawing the ire of the sunshine police?  It's not that I don't want them to be good, because I do. I would very much like them to be good at the game of football. They just are not. Also, Fitzy's arm is just brutal.

Maybe if the sky is falling group didn't go so far overboard complaining about the way they played, got closer to how they actually played?

i can't imagine coples having responsibility for the entire half of the field.  the guy wasn't even fast.  david harris could have tracked him down.  

that said, i just don't see coples flashing enough in general.  look at maudlin and leonard williams already, they flash.  maudlin leveled the qb last week but they called a dubious penalty.  coples disappears too much, his main value is his long arms to deflect passes and cause fumbles but it doesn't happen enough.  bottom line the defense needs wilk and hopefully trich at some point.  

I agree.

Coples right now seems like Bryan Thomas. Could be a decent player for a long time. But not sure he will ever make you say wow I am glad that is how they used the 1st round pick that year.

I agree.

Coples right now seems like Bryan Thomas. Could be a decent player for a long time. But not sure he will ever make you say wow I am glad that is how they used the 1st round pick that year.

Put him on the Giants or another 4-3 def. team and he might be a different player. He was Rex the mad scientist's experiment as a 3-4 olb.

Put him on the Giants or another 4-3 def. team and he might be a different player. He was Rex the mad scientist's experiment as a 3-4 olb.

I do fear that as well which was the same thing with Thomas. Seemed out of position for a hundred years until he got decent at covering crappy tight ends. I think Coples is a defensive end 100%.

Here's what I saw after watching the game again:

Bad

- Too many penalties especially the ones that cancelled out quite
a few big runs on offense.  I wanted Kellen Davis as a blocking TE
but he's been awful

- Blown coverage on the FB screen pass 

- Missed tackle on the big Hester punt return

- Jeff Cumberland is such a big disappointment.  He missed too many
blocking assignments that destroyed well designed pass plays

- Fitzpatrick's arm strength outside the numbers is going to be a
challenge for Gailey to overcome

Good

- OLines were good in pass and run blocking.  The QB's had ample time
to scan the field when they threw

- Bryce Petty was 2000% better he actually looked like a QB.  Props to
him and the staff, it gives me hope that a year of development may actually
create us a QB

- Chris Ivory actually looked comfortable catching the ball out of the
backfield

- Tackling was much improved

- Run defense was much improved

- Getting turnovers, hopefully it's an indication that our drought is ending

- Joe Mays and Jamari Lattimore as backup ILB's.  Mays always seems to be
making correct adjustments to the DLine just before the snap.  And that
Lattimore INT may have been the best catch and run by a Jet in years

- TJ Barnes as a backup NT is finally playing up to his size (6-6 350).  He
constantly was pushing the center into the backfield during his reps

- Good to see Leonard Williams have his coming out party

There was a lot of buzz about New York Jets quarterback Bryce Petty after last night’s performance, and despite the good-looking stats (12-for-19, 168 yards, 109.1 passer rating), Petty still had more negatives than positives in his performance. He finished with a -3.4 grade.

The box score did not capture his two passes that should have been intercepted — one of which was a terrible decision to throw to a waiting cornerback at the end of the half — and it also didn’t capture his decision run out of bounds to take a sack rather than throwing the ball away.

There was a lot of buzz about New York Jets quarterback Bryce Petty after last night’s performance, and despite the good-looking stats (12-for-19, 168 yards, 109.1 passer rating), Petty still had more negatives than positives in his performance. He finished with a -3.4 grade.

The box score did not capture his two passes that should have been intercepted — one of which was a terrible decision to throw to a waiting cornerback at the end of the half — and it also didn’t capture his decision run out of bounds to take a sack rather than throwing the ball away.

Good luck explaining what the game actually looked like in the 140 characters or less people need to pay attention. I was happy with Petty cause I was looking to see something for down the road. If that's a competent backup or a starter It's a good pickup, the team I'm actually going to be watching this year on a weekly basis I was pretty disappointed with.

PFF cultism is getting stupid. Petty is going to make mistakes. At this point I would rather they be from him trying to make a play rather than mental errors. Needs to find what he can and cannot do, and learn from film study how to recognize coverages, etc,,,and he ONLY gets that from playing.

PFF stats so not say anything about the arm strength he showed,. The command of the huddle, How he extended plays and went through multiple reads. How quickly he recognized a read and threw the ball.

There was WAY more positives than negatives from Petty last night whether some nerd thinks a ball should have been intercepted or not,

PFF cultism is getting stupid. Petty is going to make mistakes. At this point I would rather they be from him trying to make a play rather than mental errors. Needs to find what he can and cannot do, and learn from film study how to recognize coverages, etc,,,and he ONLY gets that from playing.

PFF stats so not say anything about the arm strength he showed,. The command of the huddle, How he extended plays and went through multiple reads. How quickly he recognized a read and threw the ball.

There was WAY more positives than negatives from Petty last night whether some nerd thinks a ball should have been intercepted or not,

He did throw a couple bad balls, but looked a lot better than the first week. I'm not looking for much from Petty right now coming from that Baylor system but I liked what I did see, but with some good coaching and an actual year to learn for a Jets rookie, who knows?

- Fitzpatrick's arm strength outside the numbers is going to be a
challenge for Gailey to overcome

Fitz had a lower leg injury, right? I'm betting his arm will strengthen as he continues to get healthy and more reps... Not much throwing going on if you have a broken leg to heal from. Flynn has a weak arm too, so whatever they are cooking up should suit both veterans.

Fitz had a lower leg injury, right? I'm betting his arm will strengthen as he continues to get healthy and more reps... Not much throwing going on if you have a broken leg to heal from. Flynn has a weak arm too, so whatever they are cooking up should suit both veterans.

I agree 100%. There aren't many guys like Jay Cutler blessed with the arm strength to throw it through a brick wall without needing his lower body. I just have no idea what kind of timetable we're looking at. I prefer Fitz's resume over Geno if Bowles gets this D together but his arm strength has been troubling a few weeks out from the start of real football

He kept doing that thing where he'd stare out at the spot where his incompletion occurred as though looking for someone to blame for it.

I look forward to watching it tomorrow. It's adorable watching somebody deflect blame for everything, ever. Unless it's your head coach

I look forward to watching it tomorrow. It's adorable watching somebody deflect blame for everything, ever. Unless it's your head coach

Wait until you see Amendola throwing his arms up for a flag after every incompletion just because the Saints secondary was making great plays.  

p.s. He didn't get any of those flags :D

No, no. That's Fitzpatrick's arm. That's what it is.

Archived