No INTs for Fitz so far

kevinc855

Fitz will be solid. He'll have a few huge games and maybe one or two shockers but he'll generally be consistently decent assuming he plays the full season. He's not good or bad enough to really dictate how the season will go, not many QB's you can say that about.

He's pretty much the QB we needed 5 years ago. 

Are you really comparing Fitzpatrick to Brady?

I did not. What I'm saying is that throwing short passes and being accurate with them is great. Put this in the other thread so I will put it here too.

In American football, a checkdown pass is when the quarterback attempts to complete a short, accurate pass to a running back or tight end as a last option when the wide receivers are covered. The term means that the quarterback has "checked down" his list of receivers. Because the quarterback does not look for the checkdown pass until after he has scanned for open wide receivers down the field for about 3–4 seconds, the defensive line has had time to enter the backfield and so a checkdown pass is often thrown in the face of pressure from the defensive line. Alternatively, if the defensive team has sent a blitz, with linebackers and/or defensive backs also looking to sack the quarterback, the checkdown may also turn out to be the quarterback's second or even first look. For this reason, the ability to complete checkdown passes, while not as dramatic as longer completions, is often seen as a key sign of an effective and efficient quarterback. These plays often result in significant yardage gain, because most of the defensive players are either in the backfield in pursuit of the quarterback, or deeper in the secondary covering receivers.

I did not. What I'm saying is that throwing short passes and being accurate with them is great. Put this in the other thread so I will put it here too.

In American football, a checkdown pass is when the quarterback attempts to complete a short, accurate pass to a running back or tight end as a last option when the wide receivers are covered. The term means that the quarterback has "checked down" his list of receivers. Because the quarterback does not look for the checkdown pass until after he has scanned for open wide receivers down the field for about 3–4 seconds, the defensive line has had time to enter the backfield and so a checkdown pass is often thrown in the face of pressure from the defensive line. Alternatively, if the defensive team has sent a blitz, with linebackers and/or defensive backs also looking to sack the quarterback, the checkdown may also turn out to be the quarterback's second or even first look. For this reason, the ability to complete checkdown passes, while not as dramatic as longer completions, is often seen as a key sign of an effective and efficient quarterback. These plays often result in significant yardage gain, because most of the defensive players are either in the backfield in pursuit of the quarterback, or deeper in the secondary covering receivers.

Checkdown artists are not "effective and efficient quarterbacks" and I don't care what any wikipedia article says. The checkdown is the last resort and shouldn't be the fulcrum of any great QB. QBs who overuse checkdowns or else rate checkdowns as their predominate pass are usually inefficient and ineffective (i.e. poor YPA). QBs who are able to win with checkdowns are usually bad QBs with really good teams (i.e. Alex Smith and high YAC). In any case, the QB is bad and should be replaced.

Checkdown artists are not "effective and efficient quarterbacks" and I don't care what any wikipedia article says. The checkdown is the last resort and shouldn't be the fulcrum of any great QB. QBs who overuse checkdowns or else rate checkdowns as their predominate pass are usually inefficient and ineffective (i.e. poor YPA). QBs who are able to win with checkdowns are usually bad QBs with really good teams (i.e. Alex Smith and high YAC). In any case, the QB is bad and should be replaced.

So outside of deciding a QB is a checkdown QB only you're saying instead of checking down when the primaries are covered a QB should either force it in somewhere or hopefully throw the ball away?

Good thinking ... Who should we bring in ?

a checkdown pass is when the quarterback attempts to complete a short, accurate pass to a running back or tight end as a last option when the wide receivers are covered. The term means that the quarterback has "checked down" his list of receivers.

Guess this part of the equation didn't work for you either.  That its a short pass when others are covered.  

The Seahawks defense averaged approximately 16 points per game and Brady hung 14 points on them in the 2nd half of the Super Bowl.

All with non cheating footballs.

And after those 14 points I watched Pete Carroll pass the Patriots their 4th SB title with one play. 

But I guess deflating your way to a title game is negated by scoring 14 points in the 2nd half of the SB. 

The Seahawks defense averaged approximately 16 points per game and Brady hung 14 points on them in the 2nd half of the Super Bowl.

All with non cheating footballs.

And after those 14 points I watched Pete Carroll pass the Patriots their 4th SB title with one play. 

But I guess deflating your way to a title game is negated by scoring 14 points in the 2nd half of the SB. 

I watched a miraculous circus catch by Seattle to get them in redzone that gets made 1 out of 1000 times.

Archived