Jets' Leonard Williams compared to Richard Seymour

BurnleyJet

After a subpar preseason debut, Jets rookie defensive end Leonard Williams notched his first sack -- and his first safety -- Friday night against the Falcons.

Naturally, under the bandwagon-happy microscope of preseason couch analysts and players alike, he's already drawing comparisons to the all-time greats.

"He's big, he's big-bodied," veteran offensive lineman Willie Colon said. "He's so young, he doesn't realize the potential he actually has. He has that Richard Seymour-type body, that prototype [body], and sky's the limit for the kid."

To Colon's credit, Williams and Seymour have very similar builds -- they both stand above 6-foot-5 and weigh just over 300 pounds on the defensive line. But if having a big body was the only metric needed to predict a Hall of Fame career, we could enshrine Williams by Wednesday.

In reality, Williams did impress against the Falcons, but his momentum-changing safety was more a result of him taking advantage of a bad read by second-string, center-turned-left guard James Stone, and not necessarily terrorizing his way through a professional offensive line.

And Williams knows that.

"I know preseason doesn't really count, and also it was like a wide-open," Williams said. "I think it was a missed assignment on their part. But it still felt great."

The Jets start the season without their star lineman, Sheldon Richardson, who is suspended four games for violating the substance abuse policy, and are expecting Williams to slide into his role seamlessly.

If Friday night is any indication of Williams' true potential, then the Jets should be above water come October. Whether the rookie out of USC can make an impact during a full 16-game slate and deserve comparisons to Hall of Famers remains to be seen.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000514357/article/jets-leonard-williams-compared-to-richard-seymour

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"I know preseason doesn't really count, and also it was like a wide-open," Williams said. "I think it was a missed assignment on their part. But it still felt great."

The kid not only gets it, but he seems to love the game.  Heck of a pick and we're going to need the Dline to ball out again if the back-end keeps on underperforming.

Someone said it in the game thread:  He gave our team a spark last night.  Whether or not there were any starters left in the game at that point for the Falcons, the Jets seemed to play a little faster after that safety.

Wait for the wind to blow again because I'm completely adamant about that call. It's a recipe for failure, but letting the situation play out.

I hear you. Its not like I didnt like the pick, but this dude outside of a nice denver game last year has done nothing. I dont recall him on the field last night either. 

I hear you. Its not like I didnt like the pick, but this dude outside of a nice denver game last year has done nothing. I dont recall him on the field last night either. 

Preseason is meaningless. Thinking/Hoping he will thrive as the big slot receiver.

Carrying a solid tradition of 2nd round picks for the NY Jets.

can we say Stephen Hill.......

I just went back to 1980 looking at 2nd rd picks the only one's worth mentioning is Dennis Byrd,Lamont Jordan,Randy Thomas,Johnny Hector,Darrel Ray and David Harris..  :animal0029:

I just went back to 1980 looking at 2nd rd picks the only one's worth mentioning is Dennis Byrd,Lamont Jordan,Randy Thomas,Johnny Hector,Darrel Ray and David Harris.. :animal0029:

2nd round had always been a graveyard for us. All those WR we took in the 2nd round from small schools. Van slyke or something over Brackens stands out for me

2nd round had always been a graveyard for us. All those WR we took in the 2nd round from small schools. Van slyke or something over Brackens stands out for me

Yeah Van Dyke over Brackens in the 2nd was a head scratcher especially with the 1st pick in the draft we took KJ..

Amaro right now is looking like a waste of a 2nd round pick. 

Not just a waste, but an intentional slight to Jets fans everywhere... when you consider that Landry, Davante, A-Rob, Jeremy Hill, Latimer, or Garapolo could have been drafted there.

We've had a horrid list of 2nd round misses

The year we took Geno in the 2nd round, I did a historic recap of how we've used 2nd rounders going back 10-15 years. I used it to convince myself that we should be happy if he's even on the roster after 3 years, let along a pick that contributes. 

I threw up in my mouth.

Archived