Jets Chant

Ghost

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I actually loved it. It got the crowd involved and part of the game. I wish we can find a way to bring it back.

Send a pm to SAR I, he'll let you know about the chants return. He's the head of the campaign to bring back Ed. Financed the campaign himself. Great guy, give him a shout.

When it happened organically. It's a shell of what it used to be

Exactly when it was spontaneous and didn't revolve around a single person (Fireman Ed) or forced marketing gimmick past few years it was effective.

I have nothing against Ed , I've met him and he's a good guy, but the casual fan would rely on him to make noise and get fired up. His routine became too static (pregame, after scores ) and it really lost its effectiveness.

The fans need to make noise especially when the Jets are on D not when prompted by some figurehead. 

I actually loved it. It got the crowd involved and part of the game. I wish we can find a way to bring it back.

Just close your eyes and hum it to yourself.

This way, you get the delightful experience and the rest of us don't have to deal with it.

SAR I

Never really minded the chant at the games but what really drove me nuts is when reporters would interview fans or fans would be in the background of pre and post game shows and they just kept repeating that chant over and over and over it made me just want to punch someone in the face.

It died when the team tried to choreograph it. It has to be spontaneous - or led by fireman Ed - to be real.

Do you remember the chant during the 1995 and 1996 seasons?  It didn't exist.  We were going 3-13 and 1-15 and no one got behind the team.  Most people fail to realize that from 1997 to 2011 the Jets averaged 9 1/2 wins per year with a healthy quarterback.  That's 15 seasons where we were in the playoff hunt, always in a winning conversation. 

The chant "died" in 2012 because the AFC Finalist teams died and the fans couldn't be bothered with a silly chant when they were feeling like ass.  The chant, Fireman Ed feeling important, happy fans, it's all tied to winning.

The chant resurrects when the team starts winning. 

SAR I

People don't chant for sh*t when the team stinks. The Jets are 18-30 the past three years and this summer has been laden with ridiculousness, and we haven't looked like a very promising team for this upcoming year for the first two preseason games. When the team starts doing well, the chants and cheering and happiness will return. Pretty much how it works with all professional sports teams.

Agree some what many die hards like myself are out of the equation and the new and improved fans asses are in the seats. 

Read what you just wrote.

If the stadium is more quiet than you like, perhaps it's, you know, the people who stopped coming to games that are the problem.

What's missing is you.  Blame yourself.  Or show up.  Either way, it's not the PSL owners who put their money where their mouths are.

SAR I

Yeah, because the most diehard fans who were stuck in bad seats off the waiting list since 1988 are the ones who don't like to cheer.

SAR I

lol waiting list. I got season tickets in 1978 when A) they couldn't give them away and B. ) the home games were blacked out on TV.  

Back then the field level seats between the 30-50 yard lines weren't empty (like they are now)

Archived