Jets Chant

Ghost

Read what you just wrote.

If the stadium is more quiet than you like, perhaps it's, you know, the people who stopped coming to games that are the problem.

What's missing is you.  Blame yourself.  Or show up.  Either way, it's not the PSL owners who put their money where their mouths are.

SAR I

SAR I buddy we agree to disagree on all this. I do blame myself but 2 children's college tuitions,property taxes,car insurance and no overtime at work has taken away my opportunity to have the extra fun money to be part of it for now.  

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the stadium is more quiet than you like, perhaps it's, you know, the people who stopped coming to games that are the problem.

What's missing is you.  Blame yourself.  Or show up.  Either way, it's not the PSL owners who put their money where their mouths are.

SAR I

You could make the argument PSL holders are not as rowdy and as loud as non PSL holders.

Not questioning their passion or commitment, just their noise making ability.

Kinda goes hand in hand with your assessment that UDers are burping, farting, blue collar loudmouths.

White collar people are more prone to the golf clap whereas blue collar people tend to be more rowdy.

Sat way down low at a Knick game once with a bunch of phone texting, stuffed shirted snobs in suits who did the golf clap when a play was made.

Wished I was up in the blue section with the rowdy fans who contributed to making the place loud and energized. 

And I am a white collar guy myself but don't fit and don't like the snobby, self absorbed stereotype.

no worries guys.. much to Sar's dismay, I have a really good feeling that Ed will be rocking that stadium week 1 and after that game is over, I will be back here to ask Sar to admit how wrong he was about Ed's impact on the stadium. 

It is only a few weeks away.. one of us will be right and one will be wrong. Let's see how it plays out. 

no worries guys.. much to Sar's dismay, I have a really good feeling that Ed will be rocking that stadium week 1 and after that game is over, I will be back here to ask Sar to admit how wrong he was about Ed's impact on the stadium. 

It is only a few weeks away.. one of us will be right and one will be wrong. Let's see how it plays out. 

I am hoping for the perfect storm this year:

1. Improved offense that actually scores
  2. Shut down defense
  3. Fireman Ed rocking the stadium again

I realize that # 1 might be too much to hope for. But 2 and 3 should definitely be possible haha.

It died when the team tried to choreograph it. It has to be spontaneous - or led by fireman Ed - to be real.

Do you remember the chant during the 1995 and 1996 seasons?  It didn't exist.  We were going 3-13 and 1-15 and no one got behind the team.  Most people fail to realize that from 1997 to 2011 the Jets averaged 9 1/2 wins per year with a healthy quarterback.  That's 15 seasons where we were in the playoff hunt, always in a winning conversation. 

The chant "died" in 2012 because the AFC Finalist teams died and the fans couldn't be bothered with a silly chant when they were feeling like ass.  The chant, Fireman Ed feeling important, happy fans, it's all tied to winning.

The chant resurrects when the team starts winning. 

SAR I

I was at 14 or 15 out of 16 home games in 1995 and 1996.  The chant still happened then.  It was not as loud since there were 20,000 fans showing up in December but it still did happen.

I was pissed how Ed left and lost a lot of respect for him for doing those West Side Stadium commercials but I give him credit for still showing up in 1995 and 1996.  I was there to witness the chant still going on then.

It died when the team tried to choreograph it. It has to be spontaneous - or led by fireman Ed - to be real.

Do you remember the chant during the 1995 and 1996 seasons?  It didn't exist.  We were going 3-13 and 1-15 and no one got behind the team.  Most people fail to realize that from 1997 to 2011 the Jets averaged 9 1/2 wins per year with a healthy quarterback.  That's 15 seasons where we were in the playoff hunt, always in a winning conversation. 

The chant "died" in 2012 because the AFC Finalist teams died and the fans couldn't be bothered with a silly chant when they were feeling like ass.  The chant, Fireman Ed feeling important, happy fans, it's all tied to winning.

SAR I

I was at 14 or 15 out of 16 home games in 1995 and 1996.  The chant still happened then.  It was not as loud since there were 20,000 fans showing up in December but it still did happen.

I was pissed how Ed left and lost a lot of respect for him for doing those West Side Stadium commercials but I give him credit for still showing up in 1995 and 1996.  I was there to witness the chant still going on then.

curious why you lost respect for him because of the West Side commercials. I live 5-10 mins away from MetLife (in Hackensack) and I wish that we got that stadium. I personally think MetLife is terrible. It is our home/reality so we have to make the best of it. But it just isn't a good stadium.

I would way rather commute to the city for games and have our own home. But that is just my opinion. Who knows - they might have screwed that place up too. 

SAR I

curious why you lost respect for him because of the West Side commercials. I live 5-10 mins away from MetLife (in Hackensack) and I wish that we got that stadium. I personally think MetLife is terrible. It is our home/reality so we have to make the best of it. But it just isn't a good stadium.

I would way rather commute to the city for games and have our own home. But that is just my opinion. Who knows - they might have screwed that place up too. 

I live in Edison so I'm about 35 mins away but for starters there would have never been any tailgating at a West Side Stadium.  Plus ticket prices would have been insane.  This awful stadium they built is bad enough as it is.  When he did those commercials I sat near some FDNY guys in the old place and they were against Ed and those commercials saying that wasn't what they endorsed.  Also Ed was speaking "on behalf of Jets fans" when he really was not.  Most fans I spoke to from NJ and NY were against a West Side Stadium (Long Island people wanted them in Queens).  Even if 50% of the fans did want a West Side Stadium he is speaking for the fans who wanted a West Side Stadium not every Jets fan.  I just felt like he was doing those commercials to get a paycheck and wasn't saying the real feelings of everyone just himself and the people who lined his pockets for those commercials.

Like I said I respect how he got the fans pumped for the chant.  He was there in 1995 and 1996 still doing the chant when 60k fans sat home every Sunday and only 20k showed up.  Didn't like those commercials and the sign he used to hold up in the old stadium.  Wished he had given the fans some type of explanation of why he left back in 2012.  It was embarassing to have people crack jokes "even your biggest fan doesn't want to be a part of the Jets anymore."

he never left though.. he still goes to every game. He just stopped leading the chant because he was assaulted in a MetLife Stadium bathroom the night of the butt fumble because he was wearing a Sanchez jersey by fellow Jets "fans"… If I were bringing my family to the games and was constantly a target for drunk idiots, I would probably think twice about leading the cheer too. 

With that said, I refuse to let those types of people dictate what will go in inside the stadium. A small percentage of fans shouldn't get to ruin it for the vast majority who love the chant and what Ed brings to the game day atmosphere. I have spoken with thousands of Jets fans. Clearly, Fireman Ed is a polarizing topic. Most love him but some really can't stand him. But what I have found is that most of the people who can't stand him don't know the truth as to why he left. They just believe the nonsense that they read on the internet. There will always be guys like Sar who just don't enjoy anything fun. Anti-Fireman Ed. Anti-Tailgate. (pro Gate D.. so there is that.)

It will be nice to have things back to normal this year and to have that chant restored to what it used to be. Ed has promised to help. Doesn't mean he will be back for good - but for those that think the chant is dead, tune in on opening day. You will see how wrong you are. 

lol waiting list. I got season tickets in 1978 when A) they couldn't give them away and B. ) the home games were blacked out on TV.  

Back then the field level seats between the 30-50 yard lines weren't empty (like they are now)

You were fortunate.

I joined the waitlist in 1988 and didn't get offered tickets by the Jets until 2002 and they were upper deck end zone nose bleeds two rows off the flags.  PSL's were like Lincoln freeing the slaves for me, finally got the seats I wanted without bribery and scalping.

SAR I

SAR I buddy we agree to disagree on all this. I do blame myself but 2 children's college tuitions,property taxes,car insurance and no overtime at work has taken away my opportunity to have the extra fun money to be part of it for now.  

I have absolutely no gripe with anyone who stopped being a season ticket holder.

I have a gripe when said ex-season ticket holders blame those who remain for not meeting their standards.  If there is a loudness or a voice that's missing, it's theirs, not ours.  We cheer just as loudly as we ever did.  There are just less of us.  That's not the PSL owners fault, that's not the season ticket holders fault.  It's the fault of those who stopped going for whatever the reason.

SAR I

You could make the argument PSL holders are not as rowdy and as loud as non PSL holders.

Not questioning their passion or commitment, just their noise making ability.

Kinda goes hand in hand with your assessment that UDers are burping, farting, blue collar loudmouths.

White collar people are more prone to the golf clap whereas blue collar people tend to be more rowdy.

Sat way down low at a Knick game once with a bunch of phone texting, stuffed shirted snobs in suits who did the golf clap when a play was made.

Wished I was up in the blue section with the rowdy fans who contributed to making the place loud and energized. 

And I am a white collar guy myself but don't fit and don't like the snobby, self absorbed stereotype.

Good points made, can't disagree with any of it.

My point of view is that there are just as many white collar 'snobby' types as there always were, no more no less.  What's changed is that the stereotypical "loud blue collar" types didn't want to spend PSL money on lower level seats in 2008, ran away to the free upper deck in 2009, and bailed on the team entirely in 2012 when the AFC Championship runs stopped.  And that's fine, I'm not going to tell others how to spend their money.  But they can't blame those of us who attend games for not being loud enough when it's they themselves that are the problem.

SAR I

I am on the record that Firefraud will make a sheepish return appearance and the crowd will be somewhat into it.  That's his motive, that's what you're enabling, it's inevitable.  Ah, but that's not the litmus test of who is right and who is wrong.  See, that's what happens on opening day.  We're undefeated, hope springs eternal.  We're home, it's sunny, the Browns are a gimmie, thoughts of Revis and Cromartie and Marshall are dancing in our heads.

Talk to me around Halloween if the team is, say, 2-5.  Let's see if Ed even bothers to try, let's see if the fans respond.  Any monkey can lead a chant during the good times; only a true mascot with a diehard following can pull it off when we look like a lost cause.

SAR I

This jackass can't be serious.

The JETS chant ruins his wine and cheese good time?  Grows more insufferable with every post.

The Jets chant is insincere.  It's there to make a cranky old Jets fan on a pension some spending money.  Ed represents everything that was wrong with Giants Stadium.  He doesn't represent the fan base any longer.  He belongs in a dirty sports bar where the rest of the season ticket quitters hang out.

SAR I

he never left though.. he still goes to every game. He just stopped leading the chant because he was assaulted in a MetLife Stadium bathroom the night of the butt fumble because he was wearing a Sanchez jersey by fellow Jets "fans"… If I were bringing my family to the games and was constantly a target for drunk idiots, I would probably think twice about leading the cheer too. 

It will be nice to have things back to normal this year and to have that chant restored to what it used to be. Ed has promised to help. Doesn't mean he will be back for good - but for those that think the chant is dead, tune in on opening day. You will see how wrong you are. 

Think about what you just wrote:  The self-appointed Biggest Jets Fan On Earth was hated, targeted, and run out of the stadium.

Doesn't that tell you something about how the fanbase feels about Firefraud?  I don't know, I don't recall Bono being thrown out of a U2 concert.

"Opening Day" is a Jets fan's Super Bowl.  Undefeated.  New players.  New coaches.  New GM.  Rex Ryan gone.  Dan Marino in a Dolphins jersey could lead the chant, we'd all cheer.  Let's talk Halloween.  Let's look at a schedule that oddsmakers would put us at 2-5.  Let's see your buddy work his chant then, let's see what Mr. & Mrs.Greener think about cheering then.

SAR I

With that said, I refuse to let those types of people dictate what will go in inside the stadium. A small percentage of fans shouldn't get to ruin it for the vast majority who love the chant and what Ed brings to the game day atmosphere. I have spoken with thousands of Jets fans. Clearly, Fireman Ed is a polarizing topic. Most love him but some really can't stand him. But what I have found is that most of the people who can't stand him don't know the truth as to why he left. They just believe the nonsense that they read on the internet. There will always be guys like Sar who just don't enjoy anything fun. Anti-Fireman Ed. Anti-Tailgate. (pro Gate D.. so there is that.)

I am hoping he brings the chant back to life.  Just because I disagree with him on certain issues does not mean I want the chant gone.  He got the crowd pumped up and I always respected him for that.  Security in the new stadium is awful and I can understand his issue just wish he told the media what happened and didn't like how he put words in the mouths of all Jets fans for the Westside Stadium.  I just hope he can get the crowd loud this season.

The Jets chant is insincere.  It's there to make a cranky old Jets fan on a pension some spending money.  Ed represents everything that was wrong with Giants Stadium.  He doesn't represent the fan base any longer.  He belongs in a dirty sports bar where the rest of the season ticket quitters hang out.

SAR I

a cranky old Jets fan on a pension? Lol...

a. He works as a steam fitter in addition to his retirement benefits from years of service as a fireman in Harlem. I would love to see you do either one of those jobs.

b. In addition - he owns a business that decorates houses with Christmas lights

c. He has never been paid a dime by the Jets. 

d. Ed did not represent anything that was wrong with Giants Stadium. Him being away represents everything that is wrong with MetLife Stadium. No worries - I am leading the charge to fix that. If you don't like it, tough... You are in the minority. And I am totally fine pissing off that minority. 

Think about what you just wrote:  The self-appointed Biggest Jets Fan On Earth was hated, targeted, and run out of the stadium.

Doesn't that tell you something about how the fanbase feels about Firefraud?  I don't know, I don't recall Bono being thrown out of a U2 concert.

"Opening Day" is a Jets fan's Super Bowl.  Undefeated.  New players.  New coaches.  New GM.  Rex Ryan gone.  Dan Marino in a Dolphins jersey could lead the chant, we'd all cheer.  Let's talk Halloween.  Let's look at a schedule that oddsmakers would put us at 2-5.  Let's see your buddy work his chant then, let's see what Mr. & Mrs.Greener think about cheering then.

SAR I

Ed was not run out of the stadium by real Jets fans... He was run out by the same drunk idiots you claim to hate... They made him feel that it was unsafe and was putting his family in harms way... For leading a chant and wearing a Sanchez jersey. You can't have it both ways. You hate drunk morons starting fights, but you applaud them for their efforts in this instance. Hypocrite.

a. He works as a steam fitter in addition to his retirement benefits from years of service as a fireman in Harlem. I would love to see you do either one of those jobs.

d. Ed did not represent anything that was wrong with Giants Stadium. Him being away represents everything that is wrong with MetLife Stadium. No worries - I am leading the charge to fix that. If you don't like it, tough... You are in the minority. And I am totally fine pissing off that minority. 

So you're a fanboy, that explains everything.  Hey, there were people who thought Mark Gastineau and Chad Pennington were good Jets too, just shows you how wrong some people can be.

October.  Experts will put us at 2-5, best case I'd say we're 3-4.  I'll bet you a Tailgate Joe experience that by then 1) Fireman Ed will go back into his shell and/or 2) the fans won't be into any chants.

SAR I

Ed was not run out of the stadium by real Jets fans... He was run out by the same drunk idiots you claim to hate... They made him feel that it was unsafe and was putting his family in harms way... For leading a chant and wearing a Sanchez jersey. You can't have it both ways. You hate drunk morons starting fights, but you applaud them for their efforts in this instance. Hypocrite.

Yeah, that's a nice cover story your boy Ed has you believing in.

"I didn't quit on the team on national TV moments after the embarrassing buttfumble!  No!  See there were these black ops guys in black helicopters and they hated on me for going to the bathroom and for wearing a Jets jersey!  I was under attack!  And only because I was a Jets fan!"

Please.  Just stop already.  The fans quit on Ed and Ed quit on the fans.  It's totally cool.  It's inevitable, in fact.  He's trying to come back into prominence to get a taste again, off the backs of Jets fans again, and that's not cool.  And the moment Ed decides to mount this minor and unwanted 'comeback'?  The moment Mike Maccagnan gets busy in the free agent pool and the Jets are the talk of the town and potential division winners.  Do this:  If Ed chants, fly a plane over the stadium that says "Frontrunner!" or "Bandwagon Ed!".  To not do so, well, that's your hypocrisy.,

SAR I

If you can convince Ed to come back, advise him to go back to the #42 Harper jersey.

Seems his problems started when he decided to go with #6.

Can't go with a polarizing player's jersey.

He comes out wearing #7, he's going to have a problem again.

So you're a fanboy, that explains everything.  Hey, there were people who thought Mark Gastineau and Chad Pennington were good Jets too, just shows you how wrong some people can be.

October.  Experts will put us at 2-5, best case I'd say we're 3-4.  I'll bet you a Tailgate Joe experience that by then 1) Fireman Ed will go back into his shell and/or 2) the fans won't be into any chants.

SAR I

Mark Gastineau and Chad Pennington were "bad Jets?!".... Ok - I see what I am dealing with here.

Mark Gastineau and Chad Pennington were "bad Jets?!".... Ok - I see what I am dealing with here.

Chad Pennington couldn't stay healthy and couldn't win a big postseason game if his life depended upon it.

Mark Gastineau quit on the team mid-season (sound familiar?) and took the most selfish and most dumb penalty in team history, turning a sure trip to the 1986 AFC Championship Game into the worst loss in team history.

"Bad Jets" to the max.

SAR I

Chad Pennington couldn't stay healthy and couldn't win a big postseason game if his life depended upon it.

Mark Gastineau quit on the team mid-season (sound familiar?) and took the most selfish and most dumb penalty in team history, turning a sure trip to the 1986 AFC Championship Game into the worst loss in team history.

"Bad Jets" to the max.

SAR I

January 4, 2003 

Jets 41 Colts 0

But I can't recall who the quarterback was.

SAR I

Aren't you the same guy who bragged about selling your tickets to opposing fans simply because they gave you the best offer?

Also, nice to see you've manned up and started posting in the Hampur. Despite the acrimony, there are actually people over there that like your input.

Aren't you the same guy who bragged about selling your tickets to opposing fans simply because they gave you the best offer?

Also, nice to see you've manned up and started posting in the Hampur. Despite the acrimony, there are actually people over there that like your input.

This.  I've never seen another fan openly advertise the fact that they make tickets available to opposing fans all while claiming to be  a "die hard".  Nothing wrong with being a casual observer with a mild rooting interest so I don't  understand the need to pretend to be anything other than that. 

Hell, I used to love baseball...went to as many Yankee games as I could and swore it was better than the NFL.  Now?  I have no idea what I was thinking.  Baseball is a snooze fest and I view the Yankees the way Sar views the Jets.  If they win, that's cool...if not...meh.

This.  I've never seen another fan openly advertise the fact that they make tickets available to opposing fans all while claiming to be  a "die hard".  Nothing wrong with being a casual observer with a mild rooting interest so I don't  understand the need to pretend to be anything other than that. 

Hell, I used to love baseball...went to as many Yankee games as I could and swore it was better than the NFL.  Now?  I have no idea what I was thinking.  Baseball is a snooze fest and I view the Yankees the way Sar views the Jets.  If they win, that's cool...if not...meh.

I am so with you on baseball.  When I do go I set my watch for 2 hours as I can't sit through it anymore.

Baseball used to be number 2 with me.

Now it's football, basketball, hockey then baseball.

Only game without a clock.  Games can go on for 4 hours.  Same reason I gave up golf. 

I am so with you on baseball.  When I do go I set my watch for 2 hours as I can't sit through it anymore.

Baseball used to be number 2 with me.

Now it's football, basketball, hockey then baseball.

Only game without a clock.  Games can go on for 4 hours.  Same reason I gave up golf. 

Yep....I went to the final game at the old Yankee Stadium, second game at the new stadium and haven't been back since. 

Back on topic...I like the chant and I hope Ed is back.

January 4, 2003 

Jets 41 Colts 0

But I can't recall who the quarterback was.

I was there.  That was before he robbed us with 5 seasons of injuries he never recovered from.  Chad Pennington 2002 is a legendary Jet.  Problem is, he was dogsh-t from 2003 to 2008.  Complete body of work.

SAR I

No, I'm the guy who can't attend a few games each year and puts them up at a fair value on StubHub and doesn't know who buys my seats except when the next game rolls around and friends in my section tell me.

I have never posted in any off-topic or Hangar here or on any other JI defector sites.  Anyone on other sites with my userid is an imposter.

SAR I

I use StubHub and price my tickets at fair market value.

What I find, anecdotally via friends in my section, is that sometimes fans who buy my seats are from the opposing team.  And that's not because I'm targeting them.  It's because Jets fans are notoriously cheap and I have a premium location. 

SAR I

Archived