What I've seen in Pre-Season so far

Smashmouth

Offense

1. The Offensive line has not played well at all. D-Brick got schooled by a rookie (Beasley) and that's not a good thing. His pass protection has not been good and the run blocking over all has not been good across the line. They showed some flashes in game 2 but they are just not impressive at all. Much of this could be attributed to the new offense and Mangold himself said he missed a few calls on the line he should have made. Probably not much to worry about but we need to see Improvement in game 3 and we need to start smashing some faces in in the run game

2. The RB's are going to be good Ivory is a beast and now the guy is showing he has the hands to be a threat out of the back field as a safety valve for Fitz and this is a much needed surprise , Powell is solid and has great vision if he only had that extra step he would be an elite back IMHO. Stacy just looks slow and plodding but he gets some tough yards and always falls forward for the extra yards no dancing from this guy.

3. The WR's should be fine, it would have been nice to see more from Smith but he's hurt and missing valuable time in the offense we may not see an impact from him until mid season. Kerley is just awful as a PR if he's not fair catching it he's getting no yards at all and every fair catch seems to be an adventure he's looks and has always looked very shaky receiving punts. TE could be an issue but I guess Amaro is hurt and he's not been getting much praise from the staff.

4. I like what I see from Fitz he had some zip on the ball this last game, his arm is coming around. He's not trying to force the ball down field and limiting the mistakes which is what a ball control defensive minded team should be doing. I think he's going to be great at controlling the clock and sustaining drives moving the chains. I'm glad he's not trying to force things and the IQ of this entire offense is much better due to his presence. A few times on the sidelines I saw him going over plays with some of his teammates and he seems to be taking a leadership role on the offense something we have not seen for about 8 years. I loved the way Bryce Petty looked in this game. Sure he threw a few ill advised passes but he also threw a few darts on 20 + yards outs and had a nice TD throw . He seems to understand how to put the ball where only his WR's can get it and I think he has a very good chance to develop into a damn good long term QB for us. Not only does he have the great arm but he can run and he seems to be a pretty smart kid once again something we have not seen in years on this football team. I do not see Geno taking another snap with this football team if Fitz can run a productive offense and they continue to improve as the year goes on. Petty sitting a few years under Fitz will be a great learning experience Petty has all the ability just like Geno difference is Petty actually seems to have a brain.

Defense

1. We have a solid secondary but if the guys up front can create pressure just think how much better our secondary will be if they play in a 2 second window . Revis will be unstoppable and it will allow us to press even more . Not too sure on out Safety coverage but we will have to see who emerges. Pryor is a bit disappointing but I really think some fans here over reacted last week because he took two bad angles and missed a tackle. he's thinking too much right now and once his instincts take hold once he knows the Bowles Defense he can be better evaluated. If he's not getting it done by that stage he's not going to start on this football team.

2. Some of our young LB's have played well and I think this can be a good unit. We are solid at MLB and we will be fine against the run but this unit lacks in pass coverage as displayed by Coples horrible coverage skills and pretty much the rest of them as well. Its our one glaring weakness and Bowles will have to get creative in how he uses his Safeties and corners to help out with this situation. TE's will kill our LB's and there is no doubt about that and against elite type TE's that can blow a game open like Gronk he may very well need to assign some one other than a LB to handle those duties.\

3. Our D line is going to be downright nasty and Leonard Williams looks like he's going to be a beast. When and If Sheldon gets back I would love to see how many front 4's Bowles will employ with Wilk Harrison Richardson and Williams . That foursome has the potential to dominate a football game and makes things even easier on our very solid secondary. Once this team learns the defense and starts playing faster its going to be very hard on opposing offenses and QB's . Pocket Passers like Brady and Manning will have an especially hard time with that rush up the middle and also worrying out our blitz packages which Bowles loves to do. He blitzed at a very high rate last year and I think if you mix that in with what we already have as out base defense its just going to be overwhelming. This of course may take time to develop but I think when it does watch out. We could be looking at one of those all time great defenses here.

Special teams

Folk is going to be solid ... When it comes to the coverage units its anybodys guess if you ask me. We don't know who is going to make this team and that usually has a big effect on Specials so we may not see exactly what we have until we are into the season. The one thing I don't want to see Is Kerley handling punts (but we may not have a choice) he's terrible and we could use a spark back there as field position is so important for a ball control offense, it can win or lose games. Problem is Kerley may be our only option. I think if Smith was healthy Kerley might just be fighting for a roster spot because if the Jets do decide to put Decker in the slot and put one of our other young WR's on the outside when Smith starts to emerge Kerleys 4 mil salary will become prohibitive and the Jets will make a move IMO.

I think this team has the potential to be dominant be are built to beat the Tom Brady Cheaters of the world and pocket passers in this league will fear this team no doubt. Hopefully it does not take long for this team to mesh and learn the Offense and Defense with a little luck in the beginning of the season and a few good bounces in our favor this team could win a lot of games once they learn to play more instinctive rather than playing slow while learning.

I personally expect big things and to be on the positive side I think this team has to potential to win 11 games

Fitzy's arm isn't coming around, it's just weak. The lack of throwing downfield is not because he's not forcing it, it's because he's just not capable of doing so.  I like Fitzy though, he seems like a good dude,  but there's a reason this is his fourth team in as many years. Last year was the first time he's ever had a season finishing with >7.0 ypa, he's just not that type of QB.  He can still be serviceable however, so long as he doesn't turn the ball over and the defense plays lights out, it's just again asking a lot from our defense, which I'm not sure is going to be up to the task. Still, if he can not turn it over and be successful in the red zone, >.500 is possible.

Unlike the OP I thought that Fitz looked like exactly what he is:

A weak armed, veteran that is unable to make plays downfield or with his feet, cannot make all the throws, and has a history of forcing turnovers and getting injured.

He will put up decent looking stats by checking down and short throws, but he is a net negative at QB that will not win us any games,

Brandon Marshall looks great. The few plays that Fitz made was because of Marshall.

Petty looked better in all areas than Fitz. He seemed calm, had good pocket awareness, showed geat arm strength, quick recognition and elite level release, and seemed completely in control. His drops from center were strong, and he was about 5 times better than last week without exaggeration. 

Good chance we see all 3 QBs on the field this year. Fitz will never last and Geno will get his last shot. Whether he can hold off Petty for the season remains to be seen.

Quite frankly I would rather play Petty than Fitz. We are going no where with him at all.

Fitzy's arm isn't coming around, it's just weak. The lack of throwing downfield is not because he's not forcing it, it's because he's just not capable of doing so.  I like Fitzy though, he seems like a good dude,  but there's a reason this is his fourth team in as many years. Last year was the first time he's ever had a season finishing with >7.0 ypa, he's just not that type of QB.  He can still be serviceable however, so long as he doesn't turn the ball over and the defense plays lights out, it's just again asking a lot from our defense, which I'm not sure is going to be up to the task. Still, if he can not turn it over and be successful in the red zone, >.500 is possible.

Exactly and that fact is very scary. With no ability to really stretch the field the opposition will stack the box making it harder to run and virtually eliminating the screens and delay type draws. 

This is why Geno needs/needed to be our QB he has the ability to get the ball downfield. 

The first team and depth of the defense is best I've seen for Jets in my lifetime. Couple of "meh" things flashing in pre-season, but in general, I've seen enough to feel like this unit is better than anything fielded the past decade.... on paper.

The WR position is as deep as I've ever seen for us. I think we can manage at RB. QB is still what it is, but even still, this is more depth than we've had in a long time.

The only new-ish concern for me as of now is the OL. The key to running this offense with a marginal QB surrounded by good skill players is the OL being dominant. Right now, it doesn't even look average in the preseason.

I think beasley is going to be great, I have to admit I wanted to draft him over williams. he could have been the jets next john abraham but instead he's atlanta's next john abraham

yeah but meanwhile Williams had 2 sacks a safety and a nice tackle of a running back in the backfield :)

Sad that Beasley made D-Brick look like D-Brick

honestly williams did look good, but he did that against back ups and a qb who prob wont be on the team, we looking at grossman now bc tj yates has been that bad.

by the way that beasly play had nothing to do with a line call he just blew straight by him with a great spin move. I agree with most ryan fitzpatrick more than likely wont help you win any games.

as far as marshall he did nothing against our  first backup cb, or starter trufant was out, he only made plays against our UNDRAFTED rookie named white. like I said your first team offense only moved the ball after we took out our first string defense, we had some third string guys in there by that pt as well. This thread reminds me of our messageboard last yr, trying to come up with positive things to say even when deep down we knew we stunk. I hope Im wrong about the jets I follow yall bc im a defensive guy and yall were my sleeper pick, along with the vikings.

I think beasley is going to be great, I have to admit I wanted to draft him over williams. he could have been the jets next john abraham but instead he's atlanta's next john abraham

thats what we are hoping but if you look at the first gif I posted he has another pass rusher next to him 99 percent of the time. it is clayborn, he is a former  first round pick back in 11, with the bucs. he was drafted as a DE but we are using him as a DT to wreak havoc on the right side of the line with beasly. we also have a mini suh at least in stature in rashede hageman who did not play bc of concussion 

This thread is hilarious with some Falcon fan boasting about the 2nd preseason game,lol. Dude, you made 2 plays in the whole freaking game. A blown coverage with a huge LB & a punt return to the 2 yard line.

An iffy PI on Revis, a missed late hit on your LB and your depth obviously sucks because the Jets held you to like 3 yards for 2 full quarters! Go away until you can beat Carolina in your division. Panthers always make your Falcons look like weak kids who just got their lunch money taken away. 

This thread is hilarious with some Falcon fan boasting about the 2nd preseason game,lol. Dude, you made 2 plays in the whole freaking game. A blown coverage with a huge LB & a punt return to the 2 yard line.

An iffy PI on Revis, a missed late hit on your LB and your depth obviously sucks because the Jets held you to like 3 yards for 2 full quarters! Go away until you can beat Carolina in your division. Panthers always make your Falcons look like weak kids who just got their lunch money taken away. 

we won 5 of 6 last yr in our division try again man, im sorry when both sets of our starters went out we were up 14 to nothing in half of just the first quarter, wait actually im not sorry we dominated your team in all phases. but by all means continue patting yourself on the back for fitzy being able to finally move the ball against 2nd and 3rd stringers just to build any confidence.

oh and jester we had 3 pieces on defense not even playing in the game so you were already going against back ups in three key positions at DT, at safety, and at CB. guess what your first team offense still had to punt the ball five times in a row. lol. so our depth is ok but thanks

ps if you think a bear hug by revis on julio is an iffy call than you need glasses,  our lb should have flagged that was indeed a late hit on fitz, see I can be objective can you prob not with a name like jester

we won 5 of 6 last yr in our division try again man, im sorry when both sets of our starters went out we were up 14 to nothing in half of just the first quarter, wait actually im not sorry we dominated your team in all phases. but by all means continue patting yourself on the back for fitzy being able to finally move the ball against 2nd and 3rd stringers just to build any confidence.

oh and jester we had 3 pieces on defense not even playing in the game so you were already going against back ups in three key positions at DT, at safety, and at CB. guess what your first team offense still had to punt the ball five times in a row. lol. so our depth is ok but thanks

ps if you think a bear hug by revis on julio is an iffy call than you need glasses,  our lb should have flagged that was indeed a late hit on fitz, see I can be objective can you prob not with a name like jester

please go away. Going to another fans message board to gloat about a preseason game is just lame. Hopefully your no more than 8 years old.

yeah but meanwhile Williams had 2 sacks a safety and a nice tackle of a running back in the backfield :)

Sad that Beasley made D-Brick look like D-Brick

Williams was quoted as saying it was simply blown coverage and he did nothing special.

Lets not make him LT just yet although he looks pretty darn good.

Can he play QB?

Williams was quoted as saying it was simply blown coverage and he did nothing special.

Lets not make him LT just yet although he looks pretty darn good.

Can he play QB?

LT played a different position so no comparison to a player I consider to be the best defensive player who ever played the game.

Blown coverage or not he got to the QB quick and wrapped him up ... How many times have we seen QB's escape our grasp in critical situations ? All the freakin time :) besides the safety he also got another sack and a very nice tackle in the backfield

Bottom line the kid is showing promise and he seems to be a genuinely good kid maybe he rubs off on Idiot Sheldon and we field the best defensive line in the NFL.

The key to all this is how will teams adapt to a monster DL and Bowles blitzing schemes ?

In Rex's defense he put so much pressure on the corners in tight man coverage they had no chance to scan the field and get Int's they had to focus on their man, not the QB, making it very difficult to get int's... In a zone defense players are responsible for an area of the field and can jump more routes and keep their eyes on both the receiver and the QB which will lead to more turnovers I have no doubt about that. There is a reason why Rex's defense did not create turnovers and I'm pretty sure what I just described was it.

Playing against a zone D and a fierce pass rush is every QB's nightmare and I think we are going to be just that.

It's preseason guys!!!! These games DON'T COUNT FOR ANYTHING. The Jets are just trying to get through it with as few injuries as possible. Purely vanilla offenses and defenses with none of the exotic blitzes we are sure to see come Cleveland. Get a grip you guys. IT'S PRESEASON. Nothing that happens in preseason counts for much of anything. Guys get on the team or cut from the team for what they do in practice, NOT these games, unless you are a second or third stringer and those guys have looked good.

Offense

1. The Offensive line has not played well at all. D-Brick got schooled by a rookie (Beasley) and that's not a good thing. His pass protection has not been good and the run blocking over all has not been good across the line. They showed some flashes in game 2 but they are just not impressive at all. Much of this could be attributed to the new offense and Mangold himself said he missed a few calls on the line he should have made. Probably not much to worry about but we need to see Improvement in game 3 and we need to start smashing some faces in in the run game

2. The RB's are going to be good Ivory is a beast and now the guy is showing he has the hands to be a threat out of the back field as a safety valve for Fitz and this is a much needed surprise , Powell is solid and has great vision if he only had that extra step he would be an elite back IMHO. Stacy just looks slow and plodding but he gets some tough yards and always falls forward for the extra yards no dancing from this guy.

3. The WR's should be fine, it would have been nice to see more from Smith but he's hurt and missing valuable time in the offense we may not see an impact from him until mid season. Kerley is just awful as a PR if he's not fair catching it he's getting no yards at all and every fair catch seems to be an adventure he's looks and has always looked very shaky receiving punts. TE could be an issue but I guess Amaro is hurt and he's not been getting much praise from the staff.

4. I like what I see from Fitz he had some zip on the ball this last game, his arm is coming around. He's not trying to force the ball down field and limiting the mistakes which is what a ball control defensive minded team should be doing. I think he's going to be great at controlling the clock and sustaining drives moving the chains. I'm glad he's not trying to force things and the IQ of this entire offense is much better due to his presence. A few times on the sidelines I saw him going over plays with some of his teammates and he seems to be taking a leadership role on the offense something we have not seen for about 8 years. I loved the way Bryce Petty looked in this game. Sure he threw a few ill advised passes but he also threw a few darts on 20 + yards outs and had a nice TD throw . He seems to understand how to put the ball where only his WR's can get it and I think he has a very good chance to develop into a damn good long term QB for us. Not only does he have the great arm but he can run and he seems to be a pretty smart kid once again something we have not seen in years on this football team. I do not see Geno taking another snap with this football team if Fitz can run a productive offense and they continue to improve as the year goes on. Petty sitting a few years under Fitz will be a great learning experience Petty has all the ability just like Geno difference is Petty actually seems to have a brain.

Defense

1. We have a solid secondary but if the guys up front can create pressure just think how much better our secondary will be if they play in a 2 second window . Revis will be unstoppable and it will allow us to press even more . Not too sure on out Safety coverage but we will have to see who emerges. Pryor is a bit disappointing but I really think some fans here over reacted last week because he took two bad angles and missed a tackle. he's thinking too much right now and once his instincts take hold once he knows the Bowles Defense he can be better evaluated. If he's not getting it done by that stage he's not going to start on this football team.

2. Some of our young LB's have played well and I think this can be a good unit. We are solid at MLB and we will be fine against the run but this unit lacks in pass coverage as displayed by Coples horrible coverage skills and pretty much the rest of them as well. Its our one glaring weakness and Bowles will have to get creative in how he uses his Safeties and corners to help out with this situation. TE's will kill our LB's and there is no doubt about that and against elite type TE's that can blow a game open like Gronk he may very well need to assign some one other than a LB to handle those duties.\

3. Our D line is going to be downright nasty and Leonard Williams looks like he's going to be a beast. When and If Sheldon gets back I would love to see how many front 4's Bowles will employ with Wilk Harrison Richardson and Williams . That foursome has the potential to dominate a football game and makes things even easier on our very solid secondary. Once this team learns the defense and starts playing faster its going to be very hard on opposing offenses and QB's . Pocket Passers like Brady and Manning will have an especially hard time with that rush up the middle and also worrying out our blitz packages which Bowles loves to do. He blitzed at a very high rate last year and I think if you mix that in with what we already have as out base defense its just going to be overwhelming. This of course may take time to develop but I think when it does watch out. We could be looking at one of those all time great defenses here.

Special teams

Folk is going to be solid ... When it comes to the coverage units its anybodys guess if you ask me. We don't know who is going to make this team and that usually has a big effect on Specials so we may not see exactly what we have until we are into the season. The one thing I don't want to see Is Kerley handling punts (but we may not have a choice) he's terrible and we could use a spark back there as field position is so important for a ball control offense, it can win or lose games. Problem is Kerley may be our only option. I think if Smith was healthy Kerley might just be fighting for a roster spot because if the Jets do decide to put Decker in the slot and put one of our other young WR's on the outside when Smith starts to emerge Kerleys 4 mil salary will become prohibitive and the Jets will make a move IMO.

I think this team has the potential to be dominant be are built to beat the Tom Brady Cheaters of the world and pocket passers in this league will fear this team no doubt. Hopefully it does not take long for this team to mesh and learn the Offense and Defense with a little luck in the beginning of the season and a few good bounces in our favor this team could win a lot of games once they learn to play more instinctive rather than playing slow while learning.

I personally expect big things and to be on the positive side I think this team has to potential to win 11 games

With all due respect, this post reads like it was written by Greg Buttle. Have you actually watched the first 2 games? Every unit of our first team has looked pathetic in all facets of the game, unprepared, slow, disinterested. I will reserve judgement for now, new systems, new players, limited practice time, injuries etc., but I have to admit, I foresee a lot of free Sundays for myself until we draft a franchise QB.

It's preseason guys!!!! These games DON'T COUNT FOR ANYTHING. The Jets are just trying to get through it with as few injuries as possible. Purely vanilla offenses and defenses with none of the exotic blitzes we are sure to see come Cleveland. Get a grip you guys. IT'S PRESEASON. Nothing that happens in preseason counts for much of anything. Guys get on the team or cut from the team for what they do in practice, NOT these games, unless you are a second or third stringer and those guys have looked good.

Keep in mind players in Pre-Season are trying to make this roster .... Highly drafted rookies are trying to make a big impression to gain starting Jobs. Its obvious we are running vanilla schemes with the occasional blitz but players can be evaluated in the Pre -Season because that's what pre Season is for.

You can't just dismiss it as "DONT COUNT FOR ANYTHING" Or " Its just pre season" because it isn't . I watched both games a few times and I did not focus in on the over all picture I focused in on individual players and important situations. That's a good way to evaluate players. If I had to say who disappointed me the most in the first few games it would be our OT's and over all run blocking and pass protection. pre season or not you ALWAYS want to protect the QB and we have not done that good of a job.

When you se coaches discuss Pre Season they always point to individuals, roster spots, depth charts and situational football only that Moron Rex thinks you need to win Pre Season games and that's probably why he got Sanchez hurt in the pre season a few years ago. Not that Sanchez was anything special at the time but he was going to be our starting QB and that Idiot Rex brought him back in the game to watch him get hurt.

Teams finalize their rosters and their depth charts in preseason and the games and individual accomplishments have a lot to do with that.

With all due respect, this post reads like it was written by Greg Buttle. Have you actually watched the first 2 games? Every unit of our first team has looked pathetic in all facets of the game, unprepared, slow, disinterested. I will reserve judgement for now, new systems, new players, limited practice time, injuries etc., but I have to admit, I foresee a lot of free Sundays for myself until we draft a franchise QB.

with all due respect you've offered nothing to this thread and didn't bother to post anything to break down what has been so terrible. This team is learning entirely different schemes from what they have been used too the past 6 years they look slow and disinterested because they are thinking more than using instinct. Sometimes it takes teams as much as half a season to get rolling in a new scheme . Sure that's a sh*tty scenario but it has happened plenty of times in the NFL over the years. Its why I said I hope this team can get some breaks early while they settle in. Going from a pressing style of defense to a zone / attacking style is a world of difference. I'm trying to take away some positive from these pre season games because we don't know the game plan of the coaches and what they are actually looking to get out of all this other than evaluating players. They are doing most of their learning on the practice field and quite honestly we have no idea what will be unveiled in game 1.

In the case of the Greg Buttle comparison the guy is a total buffoon in the booth but I'm sure he knows the game of football. He's simply a terrible color commentator who seems to blurt out sh*t before he has time to actually think about what he's saying.

So with all due respect maybe you should watch the games again and try to take something positive out of them rather than looking at a vanilla scheme and come away thinking we are doomed based on schemes that are designed to evaluate players for the up coming season

Unlike the OP I thought that Fitz looked like exactly what he is:

A weak armed, veteran that is unable to make plays downfield or with his feet, cannot make all the throws, and has a history of forcing turnovers and getting injured.

He will put up decent looking stats by checking down and short throws, but he is a net negative at QB that will not win us any games,

Brandon Marshall looks great. The few plays that Fitz made was because of Marshall.

Petty looked better in all areas than Fitz. He seemed calm, had good pocket awareness, showed geat arm strength, quick recognition and elite level release, and seemed completely in control. His drops from center were strong, and he was about 5 times better than last week without exaggeration. 

Good chance we see all 3 QBs on the field this year. Fitz will never last and Geno will get his last shot. Whether he can hold off Petty for the season remains to be seen.

Quite frankly I would rather play Petty than Fitz. We are going no where with him at all.

All of this.

I'd lke to see Petty get the last 2 drives with the 1's against the Giants to see if he can hold his own VS another teams starters while having the likes of Marshall, and Decker to throw to, sick of watching Fitz just dumping to the outlet because he lacks the physical abilities to throw balls threw tight windows, why have Decker, and Marshall if the QB can't/won't give them chances to do what they get paid to do make plays/catches on jump balls, over defenders, in traffic ect..

All of this.

I'd lke to see Petty get the last 2 drives with the 1's against the Giants to see if he can hold his own VS another teams starters while having the likes of Marshall, and Decker to throw to, sick of watching Fitz just dumping to the outlet because he lacks the physical abilities to throw balls threw tight windows, why have Decker, and Marshall if the QB can't/won't give them chances to do what they get paid to do make plays/catches on jump balls, over defenders, in traffic ect..

I agree lets see Petty against other teams #1s 

We need the QB to make less mistakes than all the previous years-not every QB has a gun and that is no guarantee of success anyway

Agreed...I'm a little bit worried about Fitz's lack of arm strength just becuase it was even worse than I expected when I saw him in person.  That being said, Browning Nagle had a cannon, didn't he?

Having a great arm is a nice luxury, but if the defense is as good as advertised, then they could do a lot worse than Fitz...for example, what they've had for much of the past seven years.

Lets see how he does when teams start running right at him. I loved Beasley too but there is no way I would have drafted him over Williams.  Williams is truly a two way player, able to stop the run and rush the passer.   When teams get a lead on Atlanta they are going to run the ball at him and make him prove he can play the run. 

Archived