fitz= worst qb maybe ever to start for a jets team

kmnj

• Replies 617
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry but the turnovers were not simply the result of indifferent receiving corpse.  Geno was just choosing the wrong guys to throw towards (mental game) and he was very inaccurate once he has made a decision about where to go with the ball (physical game),

All of this sounds like the same kinds of desperate reaching for reasons (excuses) that supporters of Vernon Gholston were using in years two and three of his career.  With Gholston it was a DC who was trying to make him look bad, it was Gholston playing out of position, it was changes to the defensive schemes or, <fill in the blank excuse>.  The excuses were nearly endless.  It was never the fact that Vernon Gholston sucked as a player no matter who the DC was or what scheme was currently in use.  Of course it became clear eventually that Gholston sucked because he sucked and not for any other reason.

Geno is not going to make better reads of defenses, nor is he going to suddenly be more careful with the ball unless he gets put into exactly the same kind of cocoon that we put Mark Sanchez into for two years.

In terms of this thread it means that even as a serviceable albeit pedestrian QB, Ryan Fitzpatrick is orders of magnitude (yes I know what that means)  better than Geno Smith IMO.  Unless the plan is to get a top-5 pick next year then Fitz is clearly the better choice. If the plan is to get a top-5 pick then that is a different discussion altogether.

lol, that's what they looked like to me too

fitz is so great that the jets coaches including our OC (that Fitz had his "success" with) gave Geno the job early on -to you Geno haters and those that thinks he sucks that tells you all you need to know about fitz- he is so studly that every team he goes to is happy to show him the door

fitz is so great that the jets coaches including our OC (that Fitz had his "success" with) gave Geno the job early on -to you Geno haters and those that thinks he sucks that tells you all you need to know about fitz- he is so studly that every team he goes to is happy to show him the door

Dude I've been one of the biggest Geno defenders all offseason long I just don't understand the flip flopping that's happened last month or so since Geno got his jaw cracked.  Fitz is not the worst starting qb in the league and he's not the transgender version of Chad Pennington.

so how do you explain what happened on Saturday? In the most meaningful preseason game, fitz played brilliantly against the Giants

so how do you explain what happened on Saturday? In the most meaningful preseason game, fitz played brilliantly against the Giants

And the Giants defense is what exactly. They're playing with Db's that are worse than what we fielded last season , their LBers w/o Beason are pedestrian at best and the Dline is a joke.  Fitz had some nice throws ( especially  the TD to Decker) , but let's reign it in a bit . When the Giants  got any semblance of a pass rush , Fitz looked worse than Pennington 2.0.  Trust me I want Fitz to play well for the 4 or 5 games he keeps the spot warm for Geno, but if he's playing a full 16 games for us we're in trouble,

even without your ability to understand the other factors that go into this, doesn't make Fitz the worst Jets QB ever or the worst starting QB in the league.  People need to realize you make yourself look clueless when you go too far overboard

Fitz will be the worst qb starting for the jets-he was so terrific his last team could not wait to throw him out the door for the next scrub in line-he had andre and foster at his disposal and was terrible

guys love to have hope -the same defending fitz are the same that defended our last gm to the bitter end instead of seeing garbage for what it is-garbage

Vinny T was the same way. Vinny and the Jets had a great year after being not so good. It could happen to Fitz too. We don't need a franchise year out of him, just better than average and this team will be very dangerous.

In Houston before he got injured he had 17 Tds 8 Ints and a 95.3 passer rating. Good efficient numbers, worlds better than the Jets have had in a while. Just over 2-1 td to int ratio. Yeah, he's ******* horrible and could never be alright. He has never been in a situation to succeed other than maybe last year. 

They do not need an MVP year from Fitzpatrick. What they need is more TDs than INTs

Fitz needs to complete every single pass to open receivers. Have a 40/4 TD to Int Ratio, have a rocket arm .make 3 to 4 reads in 2 seconds flat and never get blindsided cause that's always the QB's Fault. This is the Only QB Jets fans don't think sucks . If he's not Aaron Rogers, Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck  or Tom Brady he sucks plain and simple. Fans of this team will never be satisfied because they are looking for that guy who comes around once every 20 years . News Flash ...the chance of getting that guy is pretty rare. Even if you do get that guy you still have to have a good team to win a SB Just ask Peyton Manning and Aaron Rodgers

All we need is exactly what you said. We need Fitz to be a good solid QB . I think he's capable of a 20 to 25 TD season with around 10 int's . He's capable of big games and we have not seen that in 13 years. He is also capable of being streaky he has had some very nice stretches during his career and it would be nice to see him get hot at the end of the season and bring us into the playoffs. If our Defense plays at an elite level (and I mean number 1 defense in the NFL level) then of the QB's we currently have on our roster Fitz is the only option IMHO at this point in time.  

Fitz will be the worst qb starting for the jets-he was so terrific his last team could not wait to throw him out the door for the next scrub in line-he had andre and foster at his disposal and was terrible

guys love to have hope -the same defending fitz are the same that defended our last gm to the bitter end instead of seeing garbage for what it is-garbage

so if a 95 Rating is terrible what exactly do you consider good ? Sure its a stat but Fitz was certainly NOT terrible

Surprising...Isn't it?

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/page/PreviewJetsFitzpatrick/why-new-qb-ryan-fitzpatrick-great-value-jets-nfl

SINCE 2010 JAY CUTLER CARSON PALMER ANDY DALTON RYAN FITZPATRICK
Comp 1,313 1,409 1,371 1,328
Att 2,138 2,275 2,234 2,177
Pct. 61.4% 61.9% 61.4% 61.0%
Yards 15,413 16,641 15,476 15,169
Yards/Att 7.2 7.3 6.9 7.0
TDs 104 96 100 102
INTs 68 75 72 74
TD/INT 1.5 1.3 1.4 1.4
Passer Rating 86.3 84.5 83.6 83.4
QBR 51.9 50.1 48.7 46.9
Avg. Pay $18,100,000 $16,500,000 $16,000,000 $3,625,000

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/page/PreviewJetsFitzpatrick/why-new-qb-ryan-fitzpatrick-great-value-jets-nfl

TDs 104 96 100 102
INTs 68 75 72 74
TD/INT 1.5 1.3 1.4 1.4
QBR 51.9 50.1 48.7 46.9

nice chart...

just read the topic title...crazy. he is better than our last two starters combined and every back up we had in those years too...

lol remember the Clemmons camp? anyway yeah GO Fits, mr average is all we need.

that's because people are fixated on strong arm QB's  Jamarcus Russel anyone ? How bout Jeff George or Jay Cutler

In todays dumb NFL every one of those guys would have been drafted over Joe Montana who had just an average arm at best. Proves a QB in the right system can work wonders.

Surprising...Isn't it?

TDs 104 96 100 102
INTs 68 75 72 74
TD/INT 1.5 1.3 1.4 1.4
QBR 51.9 50.1 48.7 46.9

So ask yourself why is this guy making 3.6M and why he is now on his 6th team. The answer is simple - He's not very good.

Stats can be twisted in any way you want to support or bash the argument. Like last year where you throw out his 6 TD game against the leagues worst secondary and Your left with mediocre. But those same Fitz supporters will  argue all games count yet still readily throw out Geno's last four games for a myriad of reasons.

So ask yourself why is this guy making 3.6M and why he is now on his 6th team. The answer is simple - He's not very good.

Stats can be twisted in any way you want to support or bash the argument. Like last year where you throw out his 6 TD game against the leagues worst secondary and Your left with mediocre. But those same Fitz supporters will  argue all games count yet still readily throw out Geno's last four games for a myriad of reasons.

Maybe we should be asking... Why are those other guys making 15+ million?

Revis is on his 3rd team in 4 years his 4th team if you count the Jets twice..LOL 

fitz is TERRIBLE-maybe the worst to ever put on the Jets uniform-there is a reason he bounces from team to team -he SUCKS-I was at the game as always(I know it is just preseason) but dude is TERRIBLE-even in an exhibition he refuses to throw the long ball-those 5 yard passes over and over again were awful to watch-reminds me of chad when his arm was shot but chad at one time was a pretty solid qb for the jets- we have decker and marshall use them-I would rather the Jets start Petty this year-he is raw but will play with heart and emotion and be willing to throw it-Fitz looked like he would rather be at home instead of playing and watching his practices(we talking practice in my best Iverson voice) he looks awful there too.

I cannot possibly remember a worse so called qb than Geno. I count my blessings everyday since his mouth has been shut and he has been sidelined. Go Fitz

that's because people are fixated on strong arm QB's  Jamarcus Russel anyone ? How bout Jeff George or Jay Cutler

In todays dumb NFL every one of those guys would have been drafted over Joe Montana who had just an average arm at best. Proves a QB in the right system can work wonders.

you're right and if fans drafted QBs Montana, Young, Brees, etc would never get taken over other strong arm QBs who can throw the ball through a wall.  If they could hit it. 

you're right and if fans drafted QBs Montana, Young, Brees, etc would never get taken over other strong arm QBs who can throw the ball through a wall.  If they could hit it. 

Most QB's, if not all QB's, that make it to a level to be in the discussion come draft time have the ability to play in the NFL. The big question, and it should always be the question, is do they have the brains to process a ton of information in a short period of time under intense pressure ? Unfortunately some of the bigger college programs who put out such prospects usually protect them so well and the competition is so eclipsed that you really can't get a good read on these guys until they reach the NFL Level. Its the reason all these stellar athletes fall flat on their faces. We can see the talent but we cant judge what their brains are capable of processing there is no test for that.

Most QB's, if not all QB's, that make it to a level to be in the discussion come draft time have the ability to play in the NFL. The big question, and it should always be the question, is do they have the brains to process a ton of information in a short period of time under intense pressure ? Unfortunately some of the bigger college programs who put out such prospects usually protect them so well and the competition is so eclipsed that you really can't get a good read on these guys until they reach the NFL Level. Its the reason all these stellar athletes fall flat on their faces. We can see the talent but we cant judge what their brains are capable of processing there is no test for that.

exactly, I agree totally and always say the same thing.  They all have the physical talent, all have the requisite talent but it's the ones who can go the next step, which takes the ability to,decipher all that it takes mentally to become top QBs.  Manning doesn't have any physical skill that Browning Nagle didn't own but their careers turned out quite differently

• 2 months later...

fitz is TERRIBLE-maybe the worst to ever put on the Jets uniform-there is a reason he bounces from team to team -he SUCKS-I was at the game as always(I know it is just preseason) but dude is TERRIBLE-even in an exhibition he refuses to throw the long ball-those 5 yard passes over and over again were awful to watch-reminds me of chad when his arm was shot but chad at one time was a pretty solid qb for the jets- we have decker and marshall use them-I would rather the Jets start Petty this year-he is raw but will play with heart and emotion and be willing to throw it-Fitz looked like he would rather be at home instead of playing and watching his practices(we talking practice in my best Iverson voice) he looks awful there too.

Pre. Season.

Yup, Fitz is the worst ever to put on a jets uniform....

Some Jets QB starters "better" than Fitz...

Butch Songin 1962 Pete Liske 1964 Mike Taliaferro 1966 Bob Davis 1972 J.J. Jones 1975 Marty Domres 1977 David Norrie 1987 Kyle Mackey 1989 Jack Trudeau 1994 Bubby Brister 1995 Quincy Carter 2004.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

And I won't even mention the likes of McElroy, Bollinger, and Nagle.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

Excellent call.

Welcome new member kmnj this guy gets it!!!!!!

Ditto.

Fitz depresses me. 

I notice your activity level dropped big time when he started winning. Still depressed? Come on, Jets are winning!

Fitz isn't even the worst QB to start a game for us in the last 12 months.  In fact he's #1 out of 3.

Now here is a guy who gets it.

He is so bad. It's depressing. 

Incredible.

I would actually prefer to watch Geno throw picks 30 yards downfield than watch Fitz just be boringly bad. 

At least it would be entertaining. 

Yeah Geno is exciting alright. Pick 6's are amazing. Fitz is a boring winner who is about to set franchise records for TDs. BORING!!!! lol

Nope and I wasn't one of the folks rooting for us to lose so we could get a higher draft pick.

I like Fitz as a backup, if he has to play a few games that's ok but for an entire season I've seen this movie before and it doesn't end well.

Switch to books.

Let's get a couple of things straight:

1. His name is Fitzpatrick, not Fitzgerald. Normally I wouldn't bother pointing this out but  if you're gonna start by asking the person if they've been a fan of another team for the past half decade you could at least know the name of said team's current starting QB. 

2. No one is saying Sanchez or Smith were any good. We are saying Fitzpatrick is just as bad but somehow less entertaining. 

Winning is pretty darn entertaining.

If limiting turnovers is your goal, Ryan Fitzpatrick is not your guy. In what is almost universally regarded as his best season he led the league in interceptions.

In his run with Buffalo, the years in which he became a household name, he averaged 22.3 turnovers per year. Geno has averaged 20.5 in two years - he had 16 last year.

Last year, which is the year some are basing their entire hope for Fitz being the answer on, he still almost averaged a turnover a game, coughing it up 9 times in 12 games - about the same rate Geno turned it over last year. 

Fitz is not good. He is not any better than Geno. 

At least with Geno he was trending in the right direction and there was a glimmer, however dim, that he might improve. 

I KNOW Fitzpatrick sucks. 

25 TDs, 11 INTs. Man if only he could limit those turnovers. I called 24/11 in the summer. Even I sold Fitz short.

You can't take one 12-game stretch of Fitzpatrick's career and assume its his new normal. 

Prior to last year, Fitzpatrick had 115 TDs  (passing and rushing) and 116 turnovers (INTs and lost fumbles) in 85 career games. 

Which Ryan Fitzpatrick is the real Ryan Fitzpatrick?

For comparison purposes: Fitz in his career turns the ball over at a rate of 1.36 time per game. Sanchez is at 1.45. Geno Smith - 1.29.

The only one of the three trending in the right direction was Geno.

Fitz is not better than Smith. At best he is just as bad. 

1.36 1.29 1.45

People who don't need remedial football are able to extrapolate data sets to predict future performance It's a skill. Don't feel bad.

No, he hasn't. He has ONE partial season with a 90+ rating. 

He is ******* terrible. 

Another brilliant call.

My position has been perfectly clear. I think both Geno and Fitzpatrick are bad quarterbacks. Geno presented the only possibility for this season that was in any way potentially better than mediocre. 

If Fitz is bad, Geno is an abomination.

I take a sh*tty 24-year-old over a sh*tty 32-year-old any day of the week. 

Smart.

Only if you can't read. 

Geno's current status as a member of the Jets roster is the only reason I am interested in seeing what he can do. I wouldn't trade for Geno either. 

Geno is currently a Jet. This season was all about finding out whether or not he could show improvement in a new system tailored to his skill set with better personnel around him. 

If Geno were on another team's roster I would be as against trading for him as I am against trading for Glennon.

This is like teaching remedial football. 

Yeah except the ones you patronizingly called remedial were correct. 

I don't hate Mike Glennon. I think he is bad at playing quarterback based on what I have seen with my own two eyes. 

Given your track record of eval QB, maybe we should go for the guy.

This is a ridiculous argument. Geno was chosen to be the starter prior to his jaw being broken. The only reason Fitz was elevated to starter is because Geno's jaw was broken. 

If Geno were a young pro-bowler and this happened, Fitz would simply be holding down the fort. Since Geno doesn't have a great track record it only makes sense to let Fitz play himself out of the job. 

I have confidence in Fitz though. I think Geno will be starting the second he's available. 

Yeah those "correct" arguments do look ridiculous, don't they?

I said I have confidence in Fitz, The team will not be doing well. 

Care to define "well" for us?

I think joewilly12 got that crown for his anti-Fitz meltdown a few weeks back

I got no problem with people who were just wrong but man there are a couple who were nasty and vicious to those who were pro fitz. Many of them have been absent since Fitz's rise. I just want our wayward brothers to return.

Archived