fitz= worst qb maybe ever to start for a jets team

kmnj

Not great reviews of Fitz.  Good to see NFL Network showing Geno lightly practicing.  Even mentioned a possible week 3 return.  Weeks 1 or 2 would be better, but I'll take 3 for now.

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2015/08/ryan_fitzpatricks_struggles_require_extra_work_aft.html

Ryan Fitzpatrick's struggles require extra work after Jets practice

FLORHAM PARK — Geno Smith might have been back at practice on Monday for all to see, but Smith is still a ways away from returning to the Jets in any meaningful sense. Which means the focus at quarterback continues to be on Ryan Fitzpatrick, who will remain the starter for the foreseeable future. (Matt Flynn? Yeah, no.)

Fitzpatrick has now had about two weeks to work with the first-team offense, but there are still issues, so he and wideout Eric Decker spent some time after practice Monday to work on those issues.

"There's a few routes we had during practice where we weren't exactly on the same page or I wanted to throw the ball differently than I did, he wanted to run his route a little different," Fitzpatrick said. "So, we worked on just four or five routes and just trying to get them down and replicate the looks we had in practice and the way that we want him to run the route and the ball that he wants me to throw."

The Jets had a shorter-than-normal practice, one day after they had a scrimmage-type run-through out on Long Island. A few observations of Fitzpatrick.

Analysis: As noted above, there were moments when Fitzpatrick's timing with his wideouts was noticeably off. A throw behind Decker here, a ball to wide open Brandon Marshall that forced Marshall to stop there. Fitzpatrick also had an obvious miscommunication with Decker in which the ball was thrown to no one in particular, which necessitated that extra work. What's most obvious, day in and day out, is Fitzpatrick's inability to deliver a ball with much oomph if he has to throw it beyond 15 to 20 yards. Even Fitzpatrick's one long completion on Monday, a downfield throw to wideout Chris Owusu, had to have an asterisk: Owusu was wearing a red, no-contact jersey because he's still in the concussion protocol, and cornerback Darrelle Revis appeared not to challenge him, perhaps on purpose. Fitzpatrick did deliver a great ball to tight end Jeff Cumberland on 20-yard slant with cornerback Buster Skrine giving chase, and his quick stuff is generally right on the money. But the offense still seems to have a ways to go.

Grade: C-

I've literally never been less excited about watching Jets Football because of how uninspiring Fitzpatrick is as a QB.  This is literally a worst case scenario having to watch this guy play Football.  The reason why his timing is off is because he cant throw the ******* Football...there is a reason why every pass is behind the WR.  It's like Pennington all over again.  If they're not wide open, they're having to fight for every single pass thrown to them or come to complete stop and proceed to get killed.  That or he's check down charlie because he's scared to throw the ball down field.  And those outs that Marshall battled for...good corners (which Atlanta doesnt have) will be taking those balloons to the side line to the house when the real bullets are flying. 

And I'm sorry, being off with the WR's is b.s.  He's a vet.  He knows the system.  He should be helping them with where and how and routes and timing...not the other way around.

This sucks.  

JIF.....still early, but I want to see him show lots better this week. Serious question.....could Flynn  be the QB  until Geno back?

I could agree with it's still early but this has been the case with Fitz for a few years now.  He's just, not good, at all.  I have no idea what Flynn could be but I cant imagine it's good.  It's ride or die with Fitz and we'll just have to suffer through the boring misery and wasted year.  

• Replies 617
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not great reviews of Fitz.  Good to see NFL Network showing Geno lightly practicing.  Even mentioned a possible week 3 return.  Weeks 1 or 2 would be better, but I'll take 3 for now.

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2015/08/ryan_fitzpatricks_struggles_require_extra_work_aft.html

FLORHAM PARK — Geno Smith might have been back at practice on Monday for all to see, but Smith is still a ways away from returning to the Jets in any meaningful sense. Which means the focus at quarterback continues to be on Ryan Fitzpatrick, who will remain the starter for the foreseeable future. (Matt Flynn? Yeah, no.)

Fitzpatrick has now had about two weeks to work with the first-team offense, but there are still issues, so he and wideout Eric Decker spent some time after practice Monday to work on those issues.

"There's a few routes we had during practice where we weren't exactly on the same page or I wanted to throw the ball differently than I did, he wanted to run his route a little different," Fitzpatrick said. "So, we worked on just four or five routes and just trying to get them down and replicate the looks we had in practice and the way that we want him to run the route and the ball that he wants me to throw."

The Jets had a shorter-than-normal practice, one day after they had a scrimmage-type run-through out on Long Island. A few observations of Fitzpatrick.

Analysis: As noted above, there were moments when Fitzpatrick's timing with his wideouts was noticeably off. A throw behind Decker here, a ball to wide open Brandon Marshall that forced Marshall to stop there. Fitzpatrick also had an obvious miscommunication with Decker in which the ball was thrown to no one in particular, which necessitated that extra work. What's most obvious, day in and day out, is Fitzpatrick's inability to deliver a ball with much oomph if he has to throw it beyond 15 to 20 yards. Even Fitzpatrick's one long completion on Monday, a downfield throw to wideout Chris Owusu, had to have an asterisk: Owusu was wearing a red, no-contact jersey because he's still in the concussion protocol, and cornerback Darrelle Revis appeared not to challenge him, perhaps on purpose. Fitzpatrick did deliver a great ball to tight end Jeff Cumberland on 20-yard slant with cornerback Buster Skrine giving chase, and his quick stuff is generally right on the money. But the offense still seems to have a ways to go.

I've literally never been less excited about watching Jets Football because of how uninspiring Fitzpatrick is as a QB.  This is literally a worst case scenario having to watch this guy play Football.  The reason why his timing is off is because he cant throw the ******* Football...there is a reason why every pass is behind the WR.  It's like Pennington all over again.  If they're not wide open, they're having to fight for every single pass thrown to them or come to complete stop and proceed to get killed.  That or he's check down charlie because he's scared to throw the ball down field.  And those outs that Marshall battled for...good corners (which Atlanta doesnt have) will be taking those balloons to the side line to the house when the real bullets are flying. 

And I'm sorry, being off with the WR's is b.s.  He's a vet.  He knows the system.  He should be helping them with where and how and routes and timing...not the other way around.

This sucks.  

He is so bad. It's depressing. 

This year was literally about one thing and one thing only and that moron had to go and get his jaw broke over $600.  Now?  We're stuck watching the most boring QB I've ever witnessed.  He's Chad without the southern charm or long flowing blonde hair or an awesomely hilarious meltdown in a press conference. 

This sucks.  

This year was literally about one thing and one thing only and that moron had to go and get his jaw broke over $600.  Now?  We're stuck watching the most boring QB I've ever witnessed.  He's Chad without the southern charm or long flowing blonde hair or an awesomely hilarious meltdown in a press conference. 

The part I like is how this fan base can get surprised over and over by the fact we do not have a QB.  It's like "Groundhog Day" around here.   "bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzt"  "Good morning"  "Wait what?  Jets QB sucks oh my Gawd, not again!"   HAHA

First time posting since the upgrade on a phone.  Gotta get the hang of it.  Tough to quote w/o posting a darn novel.

Yeah definitely sucks.  Hope Fitz comes out vs the Giants and does great, but I'm not holding my breath.  Fitz hasn't earned any support here yet.  Not just gonna blindly root for him if he's not showing anything.

I know people hate the idea of starting a rookie, but if Fitz doesn't show marked improvement this week, need to see Petty get some time with the 1s.  

Only thing that could prevent that is if Fitz shows at least something positive, or perhaps Geno really could be back week 2 or 3.  In that case, maybe Bowels is thinking we could squeeze out a win vs the Browns and worst case just take the loss vs Indi.  Then have Geno back and avoid sending Petty to the wolves in the process.  

Which I guess makes sense.  Really want to avoid starting a rookie QB when possible.  But if Geno won't be ready 'til week 5 or 6 and Fitz doesn't improve at all this week... screw it.  Let the kid play.

First time posting since the upgrade on a phone.  Gotta get the hang of it.  Tough to quote w/o posting a darn novel.

Yeah definitely sucks.  Hope Fitz comes out vs the Giants and does great, but I'm not holding my breath.  Fitz hasn't earned any support here yet.  Not just gonna blindly root for him if he's not showing anything.

I know people hate the idea of starting a rookie, but if Fitz doesn't show marked improvement this week, need to see Petty get some time with the 1s.  

Only thing that could prevent that is if Fitz shows at least something positive, or perhaps Geno really could be back week 2 or 3.  In that case, maybe Bowels is thinking we could squeeze out a win vs the Browns and worst case just take the loss vs Indi.  Then have Geno back and avoid sending Petty to the wolves in the process.  

Which I guess makes sense.  Really want to avoid starting a rookie QB when possible.  But if Geno won't be ready 'til week 5 or 6 and Fitz doesn't improve at all this week... screw it.  Let the kid play.

Only thing about the upgrade I don't like so far

This sucks.  

The part I like is how this fan base can get surprised over and over by the fact we do not have a QB.  It's like "Groundhog Day" around here.   "bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzt"  "Good morning"  "Wait what?  Jets QB sucks oh my Gawd, not again!"   HAHA

So true.  However, I'm not surprised Fitz sucks.  I've known that.  I'm surprised at how bad he sucks.  I thought he'd suck slightly less, I guess.  But that performance the other night was like gouge my eyes out with a spoon bad.  I'm going to have to sit through a whole season of that?  **** that.  I rather watch Geno sling it around and throw 45 INT's and run around like a new born calf than sit through that snooze fest of hoping to get in FG range by dinking and dunking down the field. 

This sucks.  

So true.  However, I'm not surprised Fitz sucks.  I've known that.  I'm surprised at how bad he sucks.  I thought he'd suck slightly less, I guess.  But that performance the other night was like gouge my eyes out with a spoon bad.  I'm going to have to sit through a whole season of that?  **** that.  I rather watch Geno sling it around and throw 45 INT's and run around like a new born calf than sit through that snooze fest of hoping to get in FG range by dinking and dunking down the field. 

I would actually prefer to watch Geno throw picks 30 yards downfield than watch Fitz just be boringly bad. 

At least it would be entertaining. 

This sucks.  

I would actually prefer to watch Geno throw picks 30 yards downfield than watch Fitz just be boringly bad. 

Really, this is the problem with you guys. You'd rather have exciting, than win, or even ruin a kid putting him before he's ready just because you are impatient.

Thank God most of us are more mature than that based on the poll numbers.

BTW most of Geno's picks were near the los resulting in many very exciting TDs for the opposition.

Last year Fitz had an 8 ypa, and threw 38 passes over 20, and 8 over 40yards.. Geno avg 6.9 ypa  33, and 7

Those pesky facts are the worst.

"Last year Fitz had an 8 ypa, and threw 38 passes over 20, and 8 over 40yards."

Hopefully he shows some of that this week.  Maybe it's his plan to have us (and other teams) just think he blows?  If so... dudes a genius.  Mission accomplished.

This sucks.  

Really, this is the problem with you guys. You'd rather have exciting, than win, or even ruin a kid putting him before he's ready just because you are impatient.

BTW most of Geno's picks were near the los resulting in many very exciting TDs for the opposition.

Last year Fitz had an 8 ypa, and threw 38 passes over 20, and 8 over 40yards.. Geno avg 6.9 ypa  33, and 7

Fitz isnt "winning" anything.  He's terrible.  

This sucks.  

Well, we're not gonna win with Fitz because he is terrible. 

those posting Fitz stats probably didn't watch him.  he's a good backup, nothing more.

I have seen him play a lot over the years you're a Debbie downer.  Are you one of these people who were screaming for us to tank or trade up for Mariota?

Nope and I wasn't one of the folks rooting for us to lose so we could get a higher draft pick.

I like Fitz as a backup, if he has to play a few games that's ok but for an entire season I've seen this movie before and it doesn't end well.

They should spend a little time reading through a Texans forum.  Those fans don't seem to miss Fitz much.  They must not have seen his stats.

it's always hard to evaluate when you aren't watching every snap(I haven't seen every snap but I watched a lot) and we fall back to #s.  #s are useful but they never tell the whole story.  If someone didn't watch the game the other night and saw Fitz's #s they would think he did a good job when in reality he really struggled. 

I've literally never been less excited about watching Jets Football because of how uninspiring Fitzpatrick is as a QB.  This is literally a worst case scenario having to watch this guy play Football.  The reason why his timing is off is because he cant throw the ******* Football...there is a reason why every pass is behind the WR.

Have you been a fan of another team the past half decade or so?

Two starting Jets QBs perpetrated league worst QB play for 5+ seasons and you're up in arms about Fitzgerald ... who, with 2 preseason games and less snaps than Petty, is 15-22 with no turnovers?  Hasn't even played an extended preseason game yet. Maybe pipe down?

There's going to be times in the regular season, sooner or later - hopefully later, when we as Jet fans will have to seriously critique Fitzgerald. But when you're worked into an overheated lather at this point in the preseason over acceptable play all considered, how seriously should you be taken?  Not very.    

And by the way, to date our defense is making me far more nervous than quarterback play. 

Monday September 13, 2010

Sunday October 31, 2010

Sunday December 12, 2010

#biggameqb

ohhhhh you picked 3 random games. I should have known.

9/13/10: when the D allowed Baltimore to hold the ball for 40 minutes.  yeah, he was supposed to lead the O to 30 pts in 20 mins of possession when rex was scared to let them play against Baltimore.  the next week he led O to 28 pts vs. NE who would only lose one more reg season game(then he led O to 28 pts in playoff win over NE but we know week 1 is much more meaningful than the div rd).

10/31/15: very windy day, both offenses sucked.  had 2 INts that were not INTs which killed drives and set up GB.

12/12/15:  another poor day but did hit a WIDE OPEN santonio Holmes in the EZ only to watch Holmes drop it.  pretty important play in a 4 pt loss. a week later in biggest game of season to that point he played great in leading us to win over Pitt- our first EVER win in Pittsburgh(first ever win in state of PA actually).

I guess these 3 games make up for the combacks vs. Cle, det, Den, Hou, Indy(playoffs) and some of the other really good games he had? 

it's always hard to evaluate when you aren't watching every snap(I haven't seen every snap but I watched a lot) and we fall back to #s.  #s are useful but they never tell the whole story.  If someone didn't watch the game the other night and saw Fitz's #s they would think he did a good job when in reality he really struggled. 

Yup.  Tough to argue with what Texan fans have to say.  They got to see Fitz put up those great stats, yet most were saying to keep him as the 3rd string QB at best.

I was hoping maybe Fitz really was just a slow learner or still not healthy.  Based on those Texan comments... nope he's just not very good.  No matter what the numbers say. 

Yup.  Tough to argue with what Texan fans have to say.  They got to see Fitz put up those great stats, yet most were saying to keep him as the 3rd string QB at best.

I was hoping maybe Fitz really was just a slow learner or still not healthy.  Based on those Texan comments... nope he's just not very good.  No matter what the numbers say. 

I'd be fine if I had confidence in geno to come back from this injury.  If fitz was starting 2-4 games we could do a lot worse but can geno recover mentally and physically? can he win over the locker room that he appears to have lost? so if he cannot then Fitz is our season long starter and I have no confidence in him over 16 games.  great backup, spot starter type but not a guy I want as a full time starter.

but again I HOPE he proves me and many others wrong.

Two starting Jets QBs perpetrated league worst QB play for 5+ seasons and you're up in arms about Fitzgerald ... who, with 2 preseason games and less snaps than Petty, is 15-22 with no turnovers?  Hasn't even played an extended preseason game yet. Maybe pipe down?

There's going to be times in the regular season, sooner or later - hopefully later, when we as Jet fans will have to seriously critique Fitzgerald. But when you're worked into an overheated lather at this point in the preseason over acceptable play all considered, how seriously should you be taken?  Not very.    

And by the way, to date our defense is making me far more nervous than quarterback play. 

Let's get a couple of things straight:

1. His name is Fitzpatrick, not Fitzgerald. Normally I wouldn't bother pointing this out but  if you're gonna start by asking the person if they've been a fan of another team for the past half decade you could at least know the name of said team's current starting QB. 

2. No one is saying Sanchez or Smith were any good. We are saying Fitzpatrick is just as bad but somehow less entertaining. 

Let's get a couple of things straight:

1. His name is Fitzpatrick, not Fitzgerald. Normally I wouldn't bother pointing this out but  if you're gonna start by asking the person if they've been a fan of another team for the past half decade you could at least know the name of said team's current starting QB. 

2. No one is saying Sanchez or Smith were any good. We are saying Fitzpatrick is just as bad but somehow less entertaining. 

We simply do not know about 2.  Both Sanchez and Smith have good arms, Sanchez is not accurate enough.  The thing that just killed or kill both Geno and Sanchez is horrible turnovers.  As a Jet fan I've totally had my fill of god awful turning the ball over at the worst times over the last 5 or 6 years. 

Fitzpatrick will not be as mobile, have a far worse arm and be more limited than the other two guys.  If however he keeps turnovers low I'll be happy enough to have a limited game manager rather than a guy that can have  big game or totally give the game away.

In the end the Qb that will do good things for this team in the long run is not yet on the roster imo.

mark sanchez is and was head and shoulders better than Ryan Fitzpatrick. you can give me all the meaningless fantasy stats you want, a team can win w/ Mark, a team cannot win w/ Fitz.

We simply do not know about 2.  Both Sanchez and Smith have good arms, Sanchez is not accurate enough.  The thing that just killed or kill both Geno and Sanchez is horrible turnovers.  As a Jet fan I've totally had my fill of god awful turning the ball over at the worst times over the last 5 or 6 years. 

Fitzpatrick will not be as mobile, have a far worse arm and be more limited than the other two guys.  If however he keeps turnovers low I'll be happy enough to have a limited game manager rather than a guy that can have  big game or totally give the game away.

In the end the Qb that will do good things for this team in the long run is not yet on the roster imo.

If limiting turnovers is your goal, Ryan Fitzpatrick is not your guy. In what is almost universally regarded as his best season he led the league in interceptions.

In his run with Buffalo, the years in which he became a household name, he averaged 22.3 turnovers per year. Geno has averaged 20.5 in two years - he had 16 last year.

Last year, which is the year some are basing their entire hope for Fitz being the answer on, he still almost averaged a turnover a game, coughing it up 9 times in 12 games - about the same rate Geno turned it over last year. 

Fitz is not good. He is not any better than Geno. 

At least with Geno he was trending in the right direction and there was a glimmer, however dim, that he might improve. 

I KNOW Fitzpatrick sucks. 

This sucks.  

that's why BOTH the QB and WR stayed after practice to work on timing. Just relax man, if you think 2 or 3 weeks is enough for QB /WR to get on the same page then you have not been paying much attention to the NFL for the past 30 years. If you don't like Fitzpatrick that's fine I don't fault you for that but don't make up sh*t to push you're point

If limiting turnovers is your goal, Ryan Fitzpatrick is not your guy. In what is almost universally regarded as his best season he led the league in interceptions.

In his run with Buffalo, the years in which he became a household name, he averaged 22.3 turnovers per year. Geno has averaged 20.5 in two years - he had 16 last year.

Last year, which is the year some are basing their entire hope for Fitz being the answer on, he still almost averaged a turnover a game, coughing it up 9 times in 12 games - about the same rate Geno turned it over last year. 

At least with Geno he was trending in the right direction and there was a glimmer, however dim, that he might improve. 

Fitz as a Texan 17 TD's 8 Int's ...That's his most recent body of work. If he can have 17 Td's and 8 Ints after 10 games with us this year Im pretty sure we would have a winning record. Whens the last time a Jets QB Doubled their TD/INT ratio ? With our running game and Defense the big dip in turnovers will be huge.

Pennington in 02

Vinny in 98

I cant think of many others

Fitz as a Texan 17 TD's 8 Int's ...That's his most recent body of work. If he can have 17 Td's and 8 Ints after 10 games with us this year Im pretty sure we would have a winning record. Whens the last time a Jets QB Doubled their TD/INT ratio ? With our running game and Defense the big dip in turnovers will be huge.

Pennington in 02

Vinny in 98

There's more to this game than numbers.  Many here post stats from Fitz's last year w/Texans to show he's a good QB.

If that's the case, explain this...

http://boards.houstontexans.com/showthread.php?t=43899

That's a fun stat.  67 to 1.  Mallett over Fitz.

67 to 1 !!!

We will agree to disagree, with Fitzpatrick you are writing him off before a reg season game re turnovers and yet you are saying Geno is trending in the right direction.  He sucked year one, he sucked near as bad year two.  What he has done in camp this year is of the same value as Fitzpatrick.  My response to your last line would be I KNOW Geno sucks.

mark sanchez is and was head and shoulders better than Ryan Fitzpatrick. you can give me all the meaningless fantasy stats you want, a team can win w/ Mark, a team cannot win w/ Fitz.

Not comparable at all.  Until you put them in a similar situation team wise.  As soon as Sanchez had to carry any of the load as a starter here he fell on his face.  He had far better teams behind him.  Fitzpatrick is no great shakes at all, the jets are weak at QB.  I also would not take sanchez back if you gave him to me for free.

There's more to this game than numbers.  Many here post stats from Fitz's last year w/Texans to show he's a good QB.

If that's the case, explain this...

http://boards.houstontexans.com/showthread.php?t=43899

That's a fun stat.  67 to 1.  Mallett over Fitz.

67 to 1 !!!

Did you just quote me a message board poll ? Really ?

I'm not saying Fitz is going to be great and I'm not saying I want Fitz to be our solution for the next 5 years but I am saying he's going to be a vast improvement over Geno ******* Smith.

. Just a few short months ago most on these forums were pushing for a journeyman slouch to avoid Geno while we draft a QB who could develop on the sidelines for the next year or 2 because Geno is a turnover machine and a terrible QB. I would love for Petty to develop at a fast pace which he seems to be showing promise.  In Fitz we got a QB who has a brain and will be asked to LIMIT the turnovers he's not a gun slinger BUT he's not terrible like Geno.

Pennington in 02

Vinny in 98

You can't take one 12-game stretch of Fitzpatrick's career and assume its his new normal. 

Prior to last year, Fitzpatrick had 115 TDs  (passing and rushing) and 116 turnovers (INTs and lost fumbles) in 85 career games. 

Which Ryan Fitzpatrick is the real Ryan Fitzpatrick?

For comparison purposes: Fitz in his career turns the ball over at a rate of 1.36 time per game. Sanchez is at 1.45. Geno Smith - 1.29.

The only one of the three trending in the right direction was Geno.

Fitz is not better than Smith. At best he is just as bad. 

1.36 1.29 1.45

You can't take one 12-game stretch of Fitzpatrick's career and assume its his new normal. 

Prior to last year, Fitzpatrick had 115 TDs  (passing and rushing) and 116 turnovers (INTs and lost fumbles) in 85 career games. 

Which Ryan Fitzpatrick is the real Ryan Fitzpatrick?

For comparison purposes: Fitz in his career turns the ball over at a rate of 1.36 time per game. Sanchez is at 1.45. Geno Smith - 1.29.

The only one of the three trending in the right direction was Geno.

Fitz is not better than Smith. At best he is just as bad. 

1.36 1.29 1.45

1:1 TD to turnover ratio?  Be still my beating heart!

Archived