Sheldon Richardson ~ ~ ~

kelly

Are you ashamed of yourself, considering the events of the offseason -- a four-game drug suspension and an arrest for resisting arrest?

Sheldon Richardson: I’m disappointed and embarrassed for my parents’ sake. When you’re in the NFL and you mess up, the world knows about it. Pretty much, my family goes through a lot. People don’t want to talk to them at work anymore, little things like that. When I get back on the field, it’s going to be the same old Sheldon … a baller.

Near the end of last season, you created a headline when you claimed you’re on the same level as J.J. Watt and the other top defensive linemen in the game. Still feel the same way? Why?

Richardson: I am one of the top defensive linemen. People have their own opinion about stuff. You like it or you don’t. That’s my opinion about myself; that’s just how I feel. The only person who I think has a more all-around game is J.J. Watt. [Gerald] McCoy is a sack guy. If you’re just a sack guy, you’re not helping the run. I’ve had 80-plus tackles and 70-plus tackle seasons. Now I’m adding my sack repertoire to that. I’m an all-around defensive lineman, not just a penetrating defensive tackle or just a sack-getting defensive tackle. I play the game the way it’s supposed to be played. I don’t mind being a trash man and help open up gaps to help other guys make plays, too -- that stuff you don’t see on film or see in the stat book. Most people don’t see it. When they’re watching the game, they’re only watching the ball.

You more than doubled your sack production in your second year. What is the ceiling for Sheldon Richardson?

Richardson: The sky’s the limit. I don’t put a limitation on myself. I just want to do better than eight this year, that’s all I know. I’m just going to roll with that. I’m going to try to add more to my repertoire.

With all the talent added to the defense in the offseason, how would you feel about facing the Jets if you were an opposing quarterback?

Richardson: [Laughs] I’d be a little worried about that.

> http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/52981/sheldon-richardson-im-disappointed-and-embarrassed

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great player total Douche, the problem I have with the guy now is, I just don't believe a word he says, his words don't match his actions. Not to say people can't turn it around, the NFL may still hit him with a further 10 game ban yet, and that's basically all year with this four games already.

At this point on a personal front, I think he's out all year. Plus one more Fook up and he's basically out the League. If any one see's John Idzik near anyone's Draft board, Jets or other, he needs to be taken into custody immediately!

Are you ashamed of yourself, considering the events of the offseason -- a four-game drug suspension and an arrest for resisting arrest?

Sheldon Richardson: I’m disappointed and embarrassed for my parents’ sake. When you’re in the NFL and you mess up, the world knows about it. Pretty much, my family goes through a lot. People don’t want to talk to them at work anymore, little things like that. When I get back on the field, it’s going to be the same old Sheldon … a baller.

So you don't really personally feel guilty

You more than doubled your sack production in your second year. What is the ceiling for Sheldon Richardson?

Richardson: The sky’s the limit. I don’t put a limitation on myself. I just want to do better than eight this year, that’s all I know. I’m just going to roll with that. I’m going to try to add more to my repertoire.

That's evident given your off season. Good luck topping 8 sacks considering it'll be a miracle if you play more than 5 games this year 

So you don't really personally feel guilty

That's evident given your off season. Good luck topping 8 sacks considering it'll be a miracle if you play more than 5 games this year 

Well by his own logic, as soon as his sack numbers increase he will cease to be as good at the rest of his game.

If he's doing the "dirty work" instead of getting sacks, it's only because he's doing what is asked of him. If another player is sacking the QB, it's because he can't do anything else.

Pure genius. Glad he cleared all that up for the rest of us.

He won't get the same pay he would have gotten prior to the suspension and the incident. 

Look at what he has lost already and that not counting what he may face for the Speeding etc case that's coming up..

Jets star defensive end Sheldon Richardson has been suspended for four games due to a violation of the leagues substances abuse policy. Richardson will lose $310,353 in salary and forfeit another $334,823 in bonus money. That is a major financial loss for a player scheduled to earn just under $1.32 million for the season. Richardson will also lose the guarantee protection in his current contract.

The way that these suspensions work is that Richardson will be allowed to participate in training camp and the preseason and his suspension will go into effect following final cutdowns. At that point the Jets will see Richardson’s cap number reduce by $310,353. They will receive a full credit the following year for the forfeited signing bonus.

http://overthecap.com/sheldon-richardson-suspended/

Shame but he appears to be a Turd. Great player, but low Brain Cell count when it comes to maturity and what it takes to be an adult. More concerned with showing off to old friends and playing the 'playa'.

Lets hope he learns and like Bowles said dont be concerned with what old high school friends think.

Look at what he has lost already and that not counting what he may face for the Speeding etc case that's coming up..

Jets star defensive end Sheldon Richardson has been suspended for four games due to a violation of the leagues substances abuse policy. Richardson will lose $310,353 in salary and forfeit another $334,823 in bonus money. That is a major financial loss for a player scheduled to earn just under $1.32 million for the season. Richardson will also lose the guarantee protection in his current contract.

The way that these suspensions work is that Richardson will be allowed to participate in training camp and the preseason and his suspension will go into effect following final cutdowns. At that point the Jets will see Richardson’s cap number reduce by $310,353. They will receive a full credit the following year for the forfeited signing bonus.

http://overthecap.com/sheldon-richardson-suspended/

this doesn't even include the game check fines for the other violations for drugs.  Idiot.

doubt he's getting a big fat contract .

— Former Jets linebacker Bart Scott hasn't gotten in touch with current lineman Sheldon Richardson yet.But he'd like to take the star — whose four-game suspension looms — under his wing and help steer Richardson in the right direction after a positive marijuana test and an incident in which he hit 143 miles per hour in car that smelled like the drug.

Scott, who joined his other "NFL Today" broadcasters at a Boomer Esiason Foundation event in midtown Manhattan at the Breitling Boutique on Monday night, told NJ Advance Media he and Richardson share mutual friends and that he'd "love" to find a way to pass on advice to the defensive lineman."I would just want talk to him about where he is and understanding big picture," Scott said. "Sometimes when you're young, it's hard to step back and get the full picture and the scope of where you are and what can lie ahead of you, good or bad. It's my job as a veteran to reach back into the fraternity and try and help a fellow brother."

So what, exactly, would he like to say to Richardson to steer him in the right direction? He'd use his former Baltimore Ravens teammate and friend Ray Rice as an example.

"Listen, let's not make a bad decision now that can affect your future," Scott said. "Sometimes when you're super successful early in the NFL, you take it for granted. You think football is a right, but it's a privilege. You're blessed to play it at a high level, but that can be all taken away from you. Look at Ray Rice. He had an outstanding, squeaky-clean record for seven years of his career. Five minutes of making a bad decision has taken all that away."

> http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2015/08/ex-jet_bart_scott_wants_to_help_sheldon_richardson.html#incart_river

he will certainly get a big contract - but it's going to cost him money.  Won't be as big. 

One more F up and he won't get that contract. 

The problem with this line of thinking is it is logical.  Richardson will not accept the reasons why the Jets will not want to offer him the same contract as they would if he were squeaky clean, let alone accept responsibility and the consequences of his actions.  Thug turds have short memories except when it comes to their own gratification.  

The problem with this line of thinking is it is logical.  Richardson will not accept the reasons why the Jets will not want to offer him the same contract as they would if he were squeaky clean, let alone accept responsibility and the consequences of his actions.  Thug turds have short memories except when it comes to their own gratification.  

I don't doubt that - but the Jets would be wise not to pay...let him hit the open market and see that the rest of the league feels the same way.

Unless something changes over the next two years - I find it hard to believe he'll be a Jet after this contract is up....

I was oringially all for letting Mo go if we had to and not pay Sheldon, but after this I just don't see how the Jets can pay him what he's going to be asking.

does anyone know when we will find out if sheldon gets suspended for more games?

guess we have to wait to see how the current charges of resisting arrest and such play out before the league moves in. Lord knows they have been in the spotlight enough with the ******* cheaters so they can't react prematurely in this situation

does anyone know when we will find out if sheldon gets suspended for more games?

-- As Jets defensive end Sheldon Richardson awaits word from the NFL on whether his four-game suspension will be increased, he continues to undergo team counseling with uncertainty looming over him."I don't know what to expect," Richardson said of the possibility commissioner Roger Goodell will add to his suspension. "I can go from four games to however long he wants it to be, so [it's] pretty tough."As long as I get the day of when I can actually return, then I can actually start moving forward. But until then, it will just be a cloud over my head."

Richardson, 24, will miss the first four games of the season for violating the NFL's substance-abuse policy. That suspension could be increased by the NFL if it rules he violated the league's conduct policy.Richardson was charged with resisting arrest after a July 14 incident in which, according to police, he was engaged in a high-speed road race near St. Louis. Authorities said they discovered a fully loaded semi-automatic weapon in the 2014 Bentley and said there was "a very strong odor of burned marijuana" coming from the vehicle.Richardson's arraignment is scheduled for Aug. 31 outside of St. Louis. He has been working mostly with backups in training camp since he will miss the start of the season.

"Most definitely a humbling experience," said Richardson, the NFL's defensive rookie of the year in 2013 and a Pro Bowler last year. "Just got to learn from it. I consider myself a humble guy off camera, but other than that, it is what it is."Richardson, who had eight sacks last season, said he initially resisted the idea of counseling, which the team wanted him to undergo. But his parents nudged him to go through with it, and he said he has found it "somewhat" helpful."Just learning things about myself, dealing with life," Richardson said of counseling. "It would have been hard for me to deal with talking to someone outside of my circle. Little things like that."

Richardson, though, says he hasn't had to make any other major life changes since last month's run-in with the law."Other than doing a bad mistake on one night, not really," Richardson said. "That is the only thing I'd change. I am pretty quiet off the field, keep to myself, stay in my room really, play video games, regular old person, except I just happen to be in the NFL."Richardson said during his suspension he plans to attend team meetings at the facility and try to stay in shape as much as he can. He will not be able to practice or play with the team during his suspension.

"Yeah, I will be prepared," Richardson said. "I still know the playbook."I'll be right here," he said. "I am allowed in the facility. I am not allowed on the practice field when they are playing but workout by myself and go to meetings."

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/13519798/sheldon-richardson-new-york-jets-calls-possible-suspension-increase-cloud-my-head

-- As Jets defensive end Sheldon Richardson awaits word from the NFL on whether his four-game suspension will be increased, he continues to undergo team counseling with uncertainty looming over him."I don't know what to expect," Richardson said of the possibility commissioner Roger Goodell will add to his suspension. "I can go from four games to however long he wants it to be, so [it's] pretty tough."As long as I get the day of when I can actually return, then I can actually start moving forward. But until then, it will just be a cloud over my head."

Richardson, 24, will miss the first four games of the season for violating the NFL's substance-abuse policy. That suspension could be increased by the NFL if it rules he violated the league's conduct policy.Richardson was charged with resisting arrest after a July 14 incident in which, according to police, he was engaged in a high-speed road race near St. Louis. Authorities said they discovered a fully loaded semi-automatic weapon in the 2014 Bentley and said there was "a very strong odor of burned marijuana" coming from the vehicle.Richardson's arraignment is scheduled for Aug. 31 outside of St. Louis. He has been working mostly with backups in training camp since he will miss the start of the season.

"Most definitely a humbling experience," said Richardson, the NFL's defensive rookie of the year in 2013 and a Pro Bowler last year. "Just got to learn from it. I consider myself a humble guy off camera, but other than that, it is what it is."Richardson, who had eight sacks last season, said he initially resisted the idea of counseling, which the team wanted him to undergo. But his parents nudged him to go through with it, and he said he has found it "somewhat" helpful."Just learning things about myself, dealing with life," Richardson said of counseling. "It would have been hard for me to deal with talking to someone outside of my circle. Little things like that."

Richardson, though, says he hasn't had to make any other major life changes since last month's run-in with the law."Other than doing a bad mistake on one night, not really," Richardson said. "That is the only thing I'd change. I am pretty quiet off the field, keep to myself, stay in my room really, play video games, regular old person, except I just happen to be in the NFL."Richardson said during his suspension he plans to attend team meetings at the facility and try to stay in shape as much as he can. He will not be able to practice or play with the team during his suspension.

"Yeah, I will be prepared," Richardson said. "I still know the playbook."I'll be right here," he said. "I am allowed in the facility. I am not allowed on the practice field when they are playing but workout by myself and go to meetings."

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/13519798/sheldon-richardson-new-york-jets-calls-possible-suspension-increase-cloud-my-head

Is that Elisha Cuthbert in your sig?

Please... spare us Sheldon.

Guns in a car with a 12 year old doing 140MPH???

STFU

That has nothing to do with his sheer talent. He is one of the most talented interior linemen in the league. I see him as almost as good as Joe Klecko in his prime. Not quite the pass rusher Klecko was but Richardson plays inside and Klecko had his best sacks seasons as a DE.

Outside of a few very public mistakes, Jets star defensive tackle Sheldon Richardson doesn't think he needs to change much about his life.

"Other than doing a bad mistake on one night? No, not really," he told The New York Post. "Other than that, that's the only thing I'd change. I'm pretty quiet off the field, honestly. I keep to myself, stay in my room, really. Play video games. I'm a regular old person, except I happen to be in the NFL."

Richardson has drawn the ire of Jets fans who have staked their hopes on a monumentally overloaded defense. Instead of contributing to the playoff push, he's serving a four-game suspension for a violation of the league's substance abuse policy, which was uncovered a month before a high profile arrest that involved Richardson speeding in excess of 140 miles per hour in a sports car with no headlights; a loaded weapon in the front seat and a 12-year-old child in the back.But his indifference on the subject shows that Richardson isn't worried much about his future. The Jets parted ways with pass rusher IK Enemkpali for an issue of far less consequence. They don't sound like a team prepared to ditch a budding Defensive Player of the Year candidate.

The only thing standing in his way now is a potential suspension from the NFL. As Around The NFL reported at the time of his arrest, the league was looking into Richardson's actions. It is unknown whether a code of conduct penalty will be handed down or not."When I get the day of when I can actually return, then I can move forward," he said, via The Post. "But until then, it's going to be a cloud over my head."

> http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000516744/article/sheldon-richardson-i-dont-need-to-change

Belong in a jail cell.  If our justice system wasn't sh*t, that's where he'd soon be residing.

eh...he's a kid - if someone threw a million dollars at me when I was his age, there'd be dead bodies everywhere....

Just hope he comes to the realization that life is fleeting....quickly.

Archived