Camp Updates Monday 08/24

Maxman

Hopefully we'll get some updates on Mauldin soon, can't imagine they'll be too good after getting injured in a non-contact practice, but here's hoping. 

On the other hand, with a torn ACL, they typically know almost immediately (see Nelson, Jordy).  So maybe the glass is half full?

On the other hand, with a torn ACL, they typically know almost immediately (see Nelson, Jordy).  So maybe the glass is half full?

They should know, but it's possible they just didn't report their findings to the media last night.  Any time I hear non-contact injury or injury in a non-contact practice, I automatically assume ACL and am stoked when it's not. 

I don't know what the protocol is for injured players, but it would stand to reason if he tore his ACL that he would not be on the sidelines.

Rookie LB Lorenzo Mauldin (knee) on the sideline now. Walking with a limp but still a good sign that he's out here.

Oh thank god!

Speaking on mentors last night on Jet nation Lenard Williams said his biggest mentors in camp was Snacks, Sheldon and Pepper Johnson but no mention of turf toe Mo???

I'm not surprised.  Mo hasn't been out there as much and missed the voluntary camp.  Doesn't seem like a very vocal guy either, especially compared to those two.  You don't hear too many offensive linemen talking about how Mangold and D'Brick are mentoring them.  They just aren't very vocal.

Speaking on mentors last night on Jet nation Lenard Williams said his biggest mentors in camp was Snacks, Sheldon and Pepper Johnson but no mention of turf toe Mo???

That is probably because Mo hasn't been on the field much.

@eallenjets: Fitzpatrick Red Zone TD pass to Decker. Earlier Petty went to Posey for a score. And now Petty hits Owusu on the slant for 6.

@Connor_J_Hughes: Petty Strike 3.0: Throws pretty face to Rumph for TD. Perfect ball placement. Petty having a nice practice #Jets

Petty seems to be picking up where he left off

I don't want to get ahead of myself here... but if Petty continues to take strides at this pace, he's going to be ready sooner than next year. Now, if we're lucky, we can win with Fitz and then transition to Petty in a low-pressure situation, but if we're not winning, Petty could conceivably get some starts at the end of this year.

I don't want to get ahead of myself here... but if Petty continues to take strides at this pace, he's going to be ready sooner than next year. Now, if we're lucky, we can win with Fitz and then transition to Petty in a low-pressure situation, but if we're not winning, Petty could conceivably get some starts at the end of this year.

I'd hate to repeat last year but if we're out of contention early I'd like to see them go to Petty instead of Geno

I'd hate to repeat last year but if we're out of contention early I'd like to see them go to Petty instead of Geno

I'd like to see Petty if he gives us the best chance to win... or if everything goes to sh*t and we just want to give him a lot of reps as part of development.

NICE! Much better than what could have been. 

I was really starting to worry that both our 2nd and 3rd rounders would miss significant early development time... which would suck since it's basically been injuries to rookies that has further hampered our ability to develop our own picks the past couple years. Bad luck.

I'm psyched to see Devin Smith and Mauldin contribute this year. 

I was really starting to worry that both our 2nd and 3rd rounders would miss significant early development time... which would suck since it's basically been injuries to rookies that has further hampered our ability to develop our own picks the past couple years. Bad luck.

I'm psyched to see Devin Smith and Mauldin contribute this year. 

Doesn't look like he's going to be ready for week 1, but with all the 4+ man fronts that Gailey runs, he shouldn't have to fight too hard to see snaps when he does return.

That's not possible. The worst QB in the history of the world cannot throw the ball 6 yards. OMG I'm either gonna kill myself, or have a good long cry.  

I love the way we have some people busting 2 games in; just like we have some players going to HOF 2 plays in.  In addition to it just being 2 preseason games, there is no in between.  They are either a bust or the next coming of Seymore.  Some players will bust; some will be great, but a team needs some players that are just good/serviceable too.

It is pre-season so it is fun to play the what-if games and overreact; after all it has been a while since we could talk football in a meaningful way, but things are rarely as bad or as good as they seem.

At least even if the season doesn't go the way we want, we at least have some real football to talk about.

Doesn't look like he's going to be ready for week 1, but with all the 4+ man fronts that Gailey runs, he shouldn't have to fight too hard to see snaps when he does return.

Jets second-round pick Devin Smith (ribs, lung) is not expected to be ready for Week 1.

Smith's timetable was set at 4-6 weeks on August 1. He should return by Week 3. Look for Quincy Enunwa to open the year as the Jets' No. 3 receiver behind Brandon Marshall and Eric Decker. The Jets will run a ton of four- and five-wide sets under Chan Gailey, so Smith should have a role on the perimeter waiting for when he returns. He'll need to get up to speed, though.

Archived