Reggie Wayne

Skeptable

Reggie Wayne and the New England Patriots have reached agreement on a one-year deal, a league source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

Wayne had 64 receptions for 779 yards and two touchdowns last season for the Indianapolis Colts, but the team announced in March it would not be re-signing the 14-year veteran whom they selected in the first round of the 2001 draft.

Coincidentally, Wayne's final game as a member of the Colts happened to be against the Patriots, when he was not targeted once in the AFC Championship Game in January, a game perhaps now more remembered as being the start of Deflategate.

Wayne fits a need on the Patriots as the team has several question marks among its receiving corps due to injuries.

Julian Edelman has been out since Aug. 2 with a lower leg injury, though he is still expected to be ready for Week 1. Brandon LaFell remains on the physically unable to perform list and Aaron Dobson has been sidelined by a reported hamstring injury the last two weeks.

Information from ESPN.com's Mike Wells and Mike Reiss contributed to this report.

Can someone explain to me what this wasnt the Panthers?

Like, wtf is that team doing?  

Panthers are actually pretty happy with their depth, at least according to the many Panthers fans I'm surrounded by.  Corey Brown and Brenton Bersin aren't names at all but they're young and hungry types.  Funchess seems like a Benjamin clone and vets Ted Ginn and Cotchery are still around. 

Reggie Wayne is 36 years old, so it wasn't exactly a slam dunk that he would ever get signed. 

Can someone explain to me what this wasnt the Panthers?

Like, wtf is that team doing?  

I just think Wayne is absolute toast after the ACL and Triceps injury, not sure he's going to offer much more than a veteran presence and maybe some 3rd down type stuff.  Then again I could be wrong and he has another year left in the tank, but it didn't seem like it last year. 

I just think Wayne is absolute toast after the ACL and Triceps injury, not sure he's going to offer much more than a veteran presence and maybe some 3rd down type stuff.  Then again I could be wrong and he has another year left in the tank, but it didn't seem like it last year. 

I think h can still produce as long as he is properly utilized in a specific and limited role:

Ricky Proehl - WR 2003 Panthers

Keenan McCardell - WR 2002 Bucs & 2004 Chargers

Panthers are actually pretty happy with their depth, at least according to the many Panthers fans I'm surrounded by.  Corey Brown and Brenton Bersin aren't names at all but they're young and hungry types.  Funchess seems like a Benjamin clone and vets Ted Ginn and Cotchery are still around. 

Reggie Wayne is 36 years old, so it wasn't exactly a slam dunk that he would ever get signed. 

Then their fans are morons.  If you're relying on Corey Brown and Brenton Bersin, you're in trouble.  Funchess cant get healthy from what I understand and calling him Benjamin clone is a little ambitious, no?  Cam looked horrible with only Greg Olson as an option in their last preseason game.  A veteran, like Wayne, would be wise to sign as an insurance policy.  

The Pats WR's >>>>> The Panthers WR's - and they were smart enough to go sign a wily vet. 

Ginn and Cotchery? Please.  It amazes me how little they've tried to help Cam since he arrived.  

It almost like they purposely arent trying to build around him.  At least the Colts are starting to build around Luck. 

I think it's a good move.  

Cant hurt.  Having a vet to add to the mix, especially when Amendola is a walking egg shell.  It makes them pretty potent.  Wayne, Edelman, LaFell, Amendola, Gronk...pretty solid actually.  

It almost like they purposely arent trying to build around him.  At least the Colts are starting to build around Luck. 

Cant hurt.  Having a vet to add to the mix, especially when Amendola is a walking egg shell.  It makes them pretty potent.  Wayne, Edelman, LaFell, Amendola, Gronk...pretty solid actually.  

LOL!  That line accounts for the rep.  Great.

Yeah, I agree that Wayne brings the veteran vibe.  But as someone else said, we need to see what's left after the injuries.

Then their fans are morons.  If you're relying on Corey Brown and Brenton Bersin, you're in trouble.  Funchess cant get healthy from what I understand and calling him Benjamin clone is a little ambitious, no?  Cam looked horrible with only Greg Olson as an option in their last preseason game.  A veteran, like Wayne, would be wise to sign as an insurance policy.  

The Pats WR's >>>>> The Panthers WR's - and they were smart enough to go sign a wily vet. 

Ginn and Cotchery? Please.  It amazes me how little they've tried to help Cam since he arrived.  

I guess.  The Panthers will just be relying more on their running game now, and in the Red Zone, they'll be throwing to Greg Olsen. 

It's true that they haven't done a great job building around Cam, but this isn't a reason why.  A 36 year old WR who is likely done doesn't help them much.  Just like he wouldn't have helped the Packers much either.  The Pats have been down this road before bringing in aging veteran WR's, and it never works out.  Joey Galloway, Chad Johnson and Brandon Lloyd come to mind.

I think h can still produce as long as he is properly utilized in a specific and limited role:

Ricky Proehl - WR 2003 Panthers

Keenan McCardell - WR 2002 Bucs & 2004 Chargers

It's possible, but if he had anything left in the tank, even as a role player, I would have to imagine the only team that has ever employed his services would have taken a flier on him. Especially considering they have one of the elite QBs in the league and actual SB aspirations.  I'm sure he'll put up okay numbers if he's healthy, but I'd rather it not on the pats.

I love how every move the Pats make is a good one.  The Pats way, can save any career turn around any problem player.  How did Hanwsworthy work out? Hernandez?  Didn't they try something with TO or something like that some years back?  Yeah, the turned around Randy Moss' career.  There were other, but this isn't the same gritty locker-room anymore.

We shall see, but it seems to me Waynes problem is age and injury.  It isn't like he couldn't catch and the deflated balls would help him. :-)

Maybe it is time to stop assuming that just because the Pats do it, it is a good move.

I guess.  The Panthers will just be relying more on their running game now, and in the Red Zone, they'll be throwing to Greg Olsen. 

It's true that they haven't done a great job building around Cam, but this isn't a reason why.  A 36 year old WR who is likely done doesn't help them much.  Just like he wouldn't have helped the Packers much either.  The Pats have been down this road before bringing in aging veteran WR's, and it never works out.  Joey Galloway, Chad Johnson and Brandon Lloyd come to mind.

He had 64 receptions just last year.  This has nothing to do with building around Cam.  This has to do with losing your #1 for the year in preseason.  I think it's pretty stupid logic to not bring a wily vet into camp like Wayne who just last year had 64 receptions and can pick up first downs because he's old.  You can cut him.

He had 64 receptions just last year.  This has nothing to do with building around Cam.  This has to do with losing your #1 for the year in preseason.  I think it's pretty stupid logic to not bring a wily vet into camp like Wayne who just last year had 64 receptions and can pick up first downs because he's old.  You can cut him.

64 catches playing with Andrew Luck isn't particularly impressive.  If it was, I don't see why the Colts would let him go and replace him with another aging receiver like Andre Johnson.  He's likely toast.  Sure, the Panthers COULD have picked him up then cut him, but that would mean leaving a young WR they like off the roster. 

Just don't see it as a big deal at all.  Dude turns 37 in November.  Non-factor.

I love how every move the Pats make is a good one.  The Pats way, can save any career turn around any problem player.  How did Hanwsworthy work out? Hernandez?  Didn't they try something with TO or something like that some years back?  Yeah, the turned around Randy Moss' career.  There were other, but this isn't the same gritty locker-room anymore.

We shall see, but it seems to me Waynes problem is age and injury.  It isn't like he couldn't catch and the deflated balls would help him. :-)

Maybe it is time to stop assuming that just because the Pats do it, it is a good move.

you sound jealous. Its a good move because the team fill a need. Same if he signed w GB

And while you're naming players, you must of forgot rodney Harrison, corey dillon, w. welker, and l.blount..all were all good moves. Ha ha naming Hernandez like they didnt go to a SB with him and without him...lol let that hate out!

you sound jealous. Its a good move because the team fill a need. Same if he signed w GB

And while you're naming players, you must of forgot rodney Harrison, corey dillon, w. welker, and l.blount..all were all good moves. Ha ha naming Hernandez like they didnt go to a SB with him and without him...lol let that hate out!

The guys you name are all ancient history.  Proud that you had a murdered on your SB team.  Isn't that just like the pats: cheat but it is okay since would have won anyway; Okay to have a murderer if it helps win the SB, but of course we didn't need him since we won without him, we just like player with psychos.

Totally not jealous of this signing at all.  Just tired of the double standard.  

I come to this site since I love the Jets - why are you here?

Archived