Jets Waive Davon Walls, Sign Tight End Matt Lacosse

JetNation

By Glenn Naughton   The New York Jets have announced the acquisition of rookie tight end Matt Lacosse after waiving defensive lineman Davon Walls, another undrafted free agent. Walls was one of the Jets top priorities after the draft as he was one of the few players to receive a signing bonus from Gang Green. […]

[url={url}]View the full article[/url]

We're working damn hard to find a tight end... which is pretty effing pathetic when you consider the contract we gave Cumberland and the 2nd round pick we pissed away on Amaro (instead of using on a WR like Davante Adams or QB like Garappolo).

We're working damn hard to find a tight end... which is pretty effing pathetic when you consider the contract we gave Cumberland and the 2nd round pick we pissed away on Amaro (instead of using on a WR like Davante Adams or QB like Garappolo).

Not sure I ever got the Cumberland contract....

That was my first thought. The only silver lining here is that Bowles/Mcags are seemingly aware of our TE problem and actually appear to be trying to do something about it. None of our TEs can block worth sh*t, and none of them are able to consistently stay on the field and be productive.

This is why I think Tommy Bohannon is so valuable to the team. He could easily be obsolete, but our TEs are either ineffective, or inconsistent in both the blocking, and the passing department. I believe he is THE best blocker outside of the line, with the only other effective blockers also being backs (Ivory & Powell). And while he doesn't have flashy speed or moves, he is a pretty capable receiver who is good in short yardage situations.

If just one of Cumberland or Amaro could live up to their potential as a passing threat, be even HALF the blocker that Bohannon is, AND consistently stay on the field, then I think Bohannon would be a goner.

Well I was curious about Davon Walls due to his story. Talk about crash and burn..

I realize players will spend a great deal of time working with/listening to coaches/coordinators during the game, but one thing that seemed odd to me about Walls at the game the other night is that I didn't see him look at the field one time.  At no point did he appear to be watching to see what was going on in the game and stared in to the crowd the majority of the time.  Wondered about his future when I noticed him...just wasn't as "in to it" as I would expect an UDFA trying to make a team.  Probably reading in to it a bit too much in to it.

I realize players will spend a great deal of time working with/listening to coaches/coordinators during the game, but one thing that seemed odd to me about Walls at the game the other night is that I didn't see him look at the field one time.  At no point did he appear to be watching to see what was going on in the game and stared in to the crowd the majority of the time.  Wondered about his future when I noticed him...just wasn't as "in to it" as I would expect an UDFA trying to make a team.  Probably reading in to it a bit too much in to it.

he was Walled off

I don't know how the Jets didn't jump all over Te Lee Smith in Fa,  since they should have been familiar with the player from their division.( Buffalo).   Lee Smith might not catch a lot of balls for the Raiders, but  he already shown his worth as a blocker, whether it's in run blocking , or as a pass protection.

Hometown kid - played QB in H.S. and was offered multiple hoop scholarships as well.

Could be diamond in the rough - was used as blocking back/end at Illinois due to the receiver mix they enjoyed till his senior year then they let him catch footballs.

Would be nice to pick up a valuable unexpected as we have the overwhelming propensity to schwans so many draft picks.

It's possible. I believe he wasn't a cheap UDFA either so I guess the Jets got fooled as well...

NFL.com ANALYSIS

STRENGTHS

Smooth release from the line and gets into routes quickly. Good play speed inside his routes with ability to get on top of safeties quickly when he's asked to threaten on third level. Sinks hips into breaks and accelerates into cuts. Can go low and make the tough catch with soft mitts. Used in-line and from wing spot, but was lined up outside in his last regular season game. Willing to fight and sustain when asked to square up as in-line blocker. Block technique needs work, but he has ability to get better.

WEAKNESSES

Tall, angular frame with more meat needed through his lower body. Unable to generate push as a drive blocker and gets rocked from his spot by bull rushers when asked to single-up on them. Tested out at 20 reps, but needs more core strength. Sluggish to release into routes against jams and can be knocked well off course. Played in less than 50 percent of the snaps over last two seasons and had just 38 catches for his career. Needs more fluidity in routes and also needs to stop giving them away with early lean.

DRAFT PROJECTION

Round 7 or priority free agent

NFL COMPARISON

Arthur Lynch

BOTTOM LINE

With a long frame and good speed, LaCosse has the tools to work with for teams looking for a tight end who can stretch the field or stress linebackers in one-on-one matchups. His lack of college production will limit the number of team radars he hits, but he has enough talent to warrant a legitimate look and his ability to play special teams should help his chances.

Doubt they cut Amaro, they might be looking for a TE that can block though as it is not one of Amaros strengths. I remember reading an article about how Idzik was pushing hard to trade up for Lee in round 2 but couldn't get the right price to move up. I still have hopes that Amaro will work out as he caught over 70% of the passes thrown to him last season which is a high percent on the low amount of targets he saw. If we drafted Davante Adams he probably wouldn't look great either as he would have saw less accurate throws from Geno than he gets from Rodgers...he also would have been playing against tougher coverage as he had Nelson and Cobb on the field as opposed to what he would have saw on the Jets (especially the games where Decker was hurt). If we drafted Garappolo he would have gotten ruined by the pro QB coaches we had in the past. Hindsight is 20/20 and if we had this hindsight I probably would have gone with Jeremy Hill at our pick as he would have had the best chance of success and developing under our former staff.

I liked LaCosse as an UDFA and the Giants only dumped him because he was hurt.  The Jets waived Walls with an injury designation, but cut Maneri who they signed when Sudfeld got hurt.  Maneri had some hamstring issues.  They then used that roster spot for the OLB from the Bills practice squad.  This typical bottom of the roster shuffling to have enough bodies for practice and the preseason games.  With Pace and Mauldin hurt they needed an OLB, with Amaro and Maneri hurt, they needed a TE.  It's bad enough making fun of these signings when it is to the 53, but when it is ridiculous to worry about who is on the the 90.

I don't know how the Jets didn't jump all over Te Lee Smith in Fa,  since they should have been familiar with the player from their division.( Buffalo).   Lee Smith might not catch a lot of balls for the Raiders, but  he already shown his worth as a blocker, whether it's in run blocking , or as a pass protection.

you know who would really help the Jets is literally every player on the Raiders roster we should of signed those guys

Archived