Calvin Pace injured

joewilly12

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- What we learned on Monday, Day 26 of New York Jetstraining camp:

1. The outside-linebacker depth will be tested: The Jets suffered two injuries at the position in a 24-hour span. Starting strong-side linebacker Calvin Pace left practice with a strained groin; there was no immediate word on the severity. The 34-year-old Pace rarely misses practice time, so you have to believe this was more than just a tweak. On Sunday night, they lost rookie Lorenzo Mauldin for at least a week. The team is calling it a sprained knee, offering no details except to say he won't play this week against the New York Giants. Todd Bowles left open the possibility that Mauldin could play in the final preseason game. Mauldin, walking with a limp, emerged from the trainers' room during practice and watched from the sideline. It's always a good sign when an injured player can make it outside to watch practice. It leaves Quinton Coples and Trevor Reilly or Jason Babin as the starters.

I'm sure Calvin will be fine once the season starts. I don't really think he's a player that needs many reps, anyway. Shame that Mauldin is injured at the same time, but this is a great opportunity for Reilly to step up.

We probably won't see Calvin again until week 1, so in the mean time, I imagine he'll just go slow, take it easy, and...you know, pace himself.

Our defense is stacked. When everyone is healthy (and not suspended). We could be in for a bumpy ride the first couple weeks of the season with Sheldon for sure out, and a lot of other guys banged up. Just between not having Sheldon and a not 100% Wilkerson, it could get dicey. That's two of our three best overall players.

We'll need Revis, Cro and Skrine to really lock things down in the secondary.

Jets have enough OLBers to make it to the 1st game. Guys like Pace and Riley will start and be backed up by Barnes and Howsare . Now we might even get to see if  Taiwan Jones can actually play inside and out making him more valuable to the team.

Archived