Madden 16

ECURB

First impressions:

Graphics are unbelievable.  As real looking as any sports game ever made IMO.  When the game started, it was a bunch of different pictures of Odell Beckham Jr. and I legit thought they were actual game footage until I realized I was looking at the game graphics.  Very impressive.  The start of the game was pretty cool, they drop you into a scenario; Steelers vs. the Cards in the Super Bowl and you have to lead the Steelers back from a 13 point deficit.  Pretty neat way of starting the game.  And then Big Ben intro's you to all the new features.  

The new passing/catching features are cool but I dont think they're necessary after a few games.  I mean, I used it a couple of times when I started to play but some of what they're telling you do to kind of happens anyway. The new DB features are good too but again, it's kind of stuff that just happened in past games and now they have commands for it which kind of just adds a extra sh*t to think about that might not really be necessary to gain an advantage on the opponent.  I played 3 games vs. randoms. 1 game I was trying to use the new commands and just seemed like a lot to think about.  1 game I didnt use them at all because they also changed the playbook look and that takes a minute to figure out how to navigate effectively and find plays quickly.  

Which brings me to just the straight up game play.  It's a little different and it might take some getting used to but so far I'm on the fence.  The camera angle is a little closer behind the players, so you dont get the best view of the field.  It makes running the ball a little more challenging and while I'm one of the few, I actually like to run a balanced offense and tend to run the ball a lot.  You can zoom out presnap, which helps to see the whole field but the second you snap the ball, the camera angle zooms in closer to the players then years before.   Again, it different so I'll get used to it I'm sure but first impression it was awkward.  I'm not a huge fan of the way the display the playbook either. It's a little hard to read and navigate.  

Overall, the look and feel is really impressive.  The game play, while it's traditional Madden, the camera angle's are a little different and are taking me sometime to get used to. It benefits playing defense and you can definitely capitalize on mistakes more but some aspects of offense are just a little challenging.  Which in the long run, might be a good thing because offense has been too easy in so many editions of the game. 

First impressions:

Graphics are unbelievable.  As real looking as any sports game ever made IMO.  When the game started, it was a bunch of different pictures of Odell Beckham Jr. and I legit thought they were actual game footage until I realized I was looking at the game graphics.  Very impressive.  The start of the game was pretty cool, they drop you into a scenario; Steelers vs. the Cards in the Super Bowl and you have to lead the Steelers back from a 13 point deficit.  Pretty neat way of starting the game.  And then Big Ben intro's you to all the new features.  

You need to lay off the weed for a bit if you couldn't tell this was computer generated.

You need to lay off the weed for a bit if you couldn't tell this was computer generated.

Haha.  That's the image that made me realize it was CGI.  The other 2 pics of him making a play looked real.  Then again, I just hit the super OG kush after a long day of work so...

Anyone finding the game play to be extremely difficult?  Like, they almost went so far in favor of making it harder to score that it's almost impossible to even move the ball?

I played some random dude online last night; I was the Jets he was the Packers.  I think combined, we threw 11 INT's.  No joke. Even Rodgers.  Nobody gets open.  Ever.  You cant run the ball at all unless you follow your blockers perfectly (no more bouncing it outside and at least trying to get one on one for a juke move).  And when they do get open, the ball doesnt get to the receiver in time.  It's so strange.  So different than games of the past.  

My eyes adjusted to the new camera angle, so that not bothering me.  The game is faster in between play calls, which is great because that part of the game used to drive me crazy.  The new features are actually helpful now that they're information overload.  The graphics are amazing but it's almost like the over correct how easy offense was and made it to challenging to even move the damn chains!  

Still getting used to it, so I'm sure it will get easier but first impressions of the actual game play arent so hot. 

Anyone finding the game play to be extremely difficult?  Like, they almost went so far in favor of making it harder to score that it's almost impossible to even move the ball?

I played some random dude online last night; I was the Jets he was the Packers.  I think combined, we threw 11 INT's.  No joke. Even Rodgers.  Nobody gets open.  Ever.  You cant run the ball at all unless you follow your blockers perfectly (no more bouncing it outside and at least trying to get one on one for a juke move).  And when they do get open, the ball doesnt get to the receiver in time.  It's so strange.  So different than games of the past.  

My eyes adjusted to the new camera angle, so that not bothering me.  The game is faster in between play calls, which is great because that part of the game used to drive me crazy.  The new features are actually helpful now that they're information overload.  The graphics are amazing but it's almost like the over correct how easy offense was and made it to challenging to even move the damn chains!  

Still getting used to it, so I'm sure it will get easier but first impressions of the actual game play arent so hot. 

Not sue yet, I can move the ball but def more INTs

That camera view is from last year and pressing down on the d pad changes it

Not sue yet, I can move the ball but def more INTs

That camera view is from last year and pressing down on the d pad changes it

Really?  It sure doesnt seem like it.  It seems much further zoomed in.  I'll try the dpad trick.  I figured out how to zoom out presnap but the second you hit snap, it zooms in.

I'm sure I'll get used to things and it wont seem so impossible...but it's totally different IMO.  D is much tighter.  

I'm a relative noob to this whole nexgen video gaming thing. I was awesome at Madden back in my college Xbox (the original) years, but haven't really played video games at all since. That said, I do have the new Madden and Xbox Live and just played my first online game last night. Pretty fun. It's going to take me some time to get back into it, but if you wanna up your online score by beating me up a couple of times, hit me up. xbox one userid: darsh601

First impressions:

The new passing/catching features are cool but I dont think they're necessary after a few games.  I mean, I used it a couple of times when I started to play but some of what they're telling you do to kind of happens anyway. The new DB features are good too but again, it's kind of stuff that just happened in past games and now they have commands for it which kind of just adds a extra sh*t to think about that might not really be necessary to gain an advantage on the opponent.  I played 3 games vs. randoms. 1 game I was trying to use the new commands and just seemed like a lot to think about.  1 game I didnt use them at all because they also changed the playbook look and that takes a minute to figure out how to navigate effectively and find plays quickly.  

Which brings me to just the straight up game play.  It's a little different and it might take some getting used to but so far I'm on the fence.  The camera angle is a little closer behind the players, so you dont get the best view of the field.  It makes running the ball a little more challenging and while I'm one of the few, I actually like to run a balanced offense and tend to run the ball a lot.  You can zoom out presnap, which helps to see the whole field but the second you snap the ball, the camera angle zooms in closer to the players then years before.   Again, it different so I'll get used to it I'm sure but first impression it was awkward.  I'm not a huge fan of the way the display the playbook either. It's a little hard to read and navigate.  

Overall, the look and feel is really impressive.  The game play, while it's traditional Madden, the camera angle's are a little different and are taking me sometime to get used to. It benefits playing defense and you can definitely capitalize on mistakes more but some aspects of offense are just a little challenging.  Which in the long run, might be a good thing because offense has been too easy in so many editions of the game. 

Damn man, that's a pretty good review.

It's definitely a different game. In past Madden's I've been able to run up the score with ease, complete pretty much all of my deep passes (and that's with Sanchez or Smith) but this year those deep balls are a 50/50, which while frustrating I really like. All the games I've played online so far have been very tight.

In terms of the gameplay, it's a pretty big improvement this year and a welcome challenge. I just wish EA would get their s**t together on release date so we're not waiting for a patch to fix up various aspects of the game. This year it's connected franchise (the mode I play like 95% of the time). It has so many bugs that even EA reps told us to hold off on starting a connected franchise (both online and offline) until they release a patch.

Damn man, that's a pretty good review.

It's definitely a different game. In past Madden's I've been able to run up the score with ease, complete pretty much all of my deep passes (and that's with Sanchez or Smith) but this year those deep balls are a 50/50, which while frustrating I really like. All the games I've played online so far have been very tight.

In terms of the gameplay, it's a pretty big improvement this year and a welcome challenge. I just wish EA would get their s**t together on release date so we're not waiting for a patch to fix up various aspects of the game. This year it's connected franchise (the mode I play like 95% of the time). It has so many bugs that even EA reps told us to hold off on starting a connected franchise (both online and offline) until they release a patch.

Now that I've had a few games, offense is sooooo much harder.  No shootouts at all.  All close games.  Ton's of INT's.  I cant count the times I've dropped back and no receivers are open.  Running the ball is super hard.  It's totally different.  The thing that frustrates me is that it's basically encouraging you to throw to covered WR's and win the 50/50 ball.  Which is stupid, IMO because certain receivers catch everything while others never do and the QB throwing the ball matters.  And then some of the INT's that happen are just ridiculous...the make up speed, one handers, deflections...everything!  I've had multiple games where a QB has thrown 4+ INT's, even with the best QB's. Whereas the old games, an incompletion was rare and INT's werent abundant.  

I'm finally getting used to it, so moving the ball is much easier but scoring is still hard as sh*t.  You really have to watch the coverage and use a lot of audibles. And unfortunately, you really have to use the new pass and catch features because it completely changes everything which is fine once you get used to having to think about it while its in the air...but annoying because they're not necessary features IMO.  So like you, I like the challenge.  It was necessary because offense was too easy but if you're like me and you really mastered how to play D in those older versions to prevent shootouts (best plays, how to adjust coverage, audibles, individual commands, etc)...it's a little frustrating because it takes the challenge away of figuring out on D and does a lot of the work for you.

Overall, not a huge fan of this edition to be honest.  It's a video game.  I want to score and make ridiculous plays.  The other thing that's super frustrating, is the overall ranking of a team really factors into the game whereas in the older editions, if you had a team dialed in, you could compete with the top ranked teams.  Not anymore.  The games I've tried to roll the Jets out vs. like the Packers or Seahawks - they get demolished.  Not even close.  Which bring me to another thing I dont like, you're in the blind on who your opponent picks as opposed to being able to see their team in the lobby and pick your team appropriately if you're playing randoms online.

So anyway, I'm sure I'll get better and better and some of this will go away...but this is where I'm at with it as of now.

Archived