Ryan Mallett?

drsamuel84

I don't want to start a thread about every QB option who may be available but this one could be viable.  He lost the starting job to Hoyer and our GM obviously has a relationship with the Texans.  Not sure what it would take to get him here but I think it would be worth looking into.  

I don't want to start a thread about every QB option who may be available but this one could be viable.  He lost the starting job to Hoyer and our GM obviously has a relationship with the Texans.  Not sure what it would take to get him here but I think it would be worth looking into.  

Then don't. 

Not every thought needs its own thread. 

Ryan Mallet sucks. He just got beat out by Brian Hoyer. 

im sure the GM has considered it and then dismissed it.

Perhaps if he read JN, he could get all these great ideas. :)

The Jets' QB situation is not much worse than it was before Geno got his jaw broken. Geno should be ready by the fifth game of the season. If Fitzpatrick sucks, we'll get to see if Geno still sucks then. So basically, we just find out that they suck in the opposite order in which we originally expected to discover they suck. 

They're not making any rash moves for anyone else's backup. 

The Jets' QB situation is not much worse than it was before Geno got his jaw broken. Geno should be ready by the fifth game of the season. If Fitzpatrick sucks, we'll get to see if Geno still sucks then. So basically, we just find out that they suck in the opposite order in which we originally expected to discover they suck. 

Wow!!  That sucks!!!

if this is true then why don't we play petty with the 1's and see what we got?

Well, a couple weeks ago that concept would have been nonsensical but after last week not so ridiculous anymore. That said I think you go with Fitz till Geno is ready and then make the decision on Geno long term based on his play. I could definitely see a scenario where Petty starts this year, but not at the beginning barring injury

Ryan Mallet is basically the worst case scenario of Bryce Petty.  A guy with a huge arm, that has trouble reading defenses in Year 4 of his NFL tenure, and got beat out by a guy that lost his job to a rookie Manziel.  I wouldn't trade anything of value for the guy, because he's not taking us anywhere, and we already have a younger version of him on the team.  

It's worse in the sense that say Fitz goes 2-2 and isnt winning games but isnt doing anything to lose them either?  What does Bowles do?  I'm guessing he probably lets him ride it out, which sucks worse than seeing Geno those first 4 games because this season was all about seeing if Geno could be something different with more weapons and a new coaching staff for the future of the Jets. This season was not about seeing if Ryan Fitzpatrick can eclipse his career high single season win total of 6 wins and maybe get to 8 and have the Jets drafting in the middle of the 1st round.  

Going 2-14 w/ Geno >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 8-8 (something he's never done) w/ Ryan Fitzpartrick.

It's worse in the sense that say Fitz goes 2-2 and isnt winning games but isnt doing anything to lose them either?  What does Bowles do?  I'm guessing he probably lets him ride it out, which sucks worse than seeing Geno those first 4 games because this season was all about seeing if Geno could be something different with more weapons and a new coaching staff for the future of the Jets. This season was not about seeing if Ryan Fitzpatrick can eclipse his career high single season win total of 6 wins and maybe get to 8 and have the Jets drafting in the middle of the 1st round.  

Going 2-14 w/ Geno >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 8-8 (something he's never done) w/ Ryan Fitzpartrick.

Going 2-14 is only preferable to 8-8 if there's a can't miss QB coming out.  Not to mention, we have too much talent (yes, we really do) to ever go 2-14.  I'd rather be competitive, even if it results in a 7-9 or 8-8 type of season.  2-14 would mean our new GM and Todd Bowles are both terrible even in Year 1, and not good news for anybody.

Going 2-14 is only preferable to 8-8 if there's a can't miss QB coming out.  Not to mention, we have too much talent (yes, we really do) to ever go 2-14.  I'd rather be competitive, even if it results in a 7-9 or 8-8 type of season.  2-14 would mean our new GM and Todd Bowles are both terrible even in Year 1, and not good news for anybody.

I think you're missing the point, again.  Go figure.  

The record example was illustrating a point.  Going 8-8 with Fitzpatrick does nothing for the Football team.  All that does is leave the door open for another offseason of "what if" when it comes to Geno Smith.  Not to mention, it will pretty much take the Jets out of any top QB type of sweepstakes (if you believe Hackenberg or Cook are those players). Where as, this season was supposed to be about being able to close the book on a player or figure out if you now have someone to develop around for the future.  It was all about seeing if Geno could turn it around in a new and hopefully better environment. Hence the use of the record as an example to make a point.

The preferred method would have been to give Geno till the bye week and if he's flailing, stick a fork in it and put the Vet in to see if he could salvage the season.  That's all this was ever about. This season is not about seeing if an 11 year vet can do something he's never done before in his career and leaving open the unanswered question of what the Jets truly have in Geno Smith.

And once again because it for some reason doesnt sink in with you...the coaching staff agreed with my position hence Geno being the starter until he showed his ass. 

So, that sucks.

Luckily, Petty looked like he grew up a year in a week so there maybe some light at the end of this very dark QB tunnel. 

I think you're missing the point, again.  Go figure.  

The record example was illustrating a point.  Going 8-8 with Fitzpatrick does nothing for the Football team.  All that does is leave the door open for another offseason of "what if" when it comes to Geno Smith.  Not to mention, it will pretty much take the Jets out of any top QB type of sweepstakes (if you believe Hackenberg or Cook are those players). Where as, this season was supposed to be about being able to close the book on a player or figure out if you now have someone to develop around for the future.  It was all about seeing if Geno could turn it around in a new and hopefully better environment. Hence the use of the record as an example to make a point.

The preferred method would have been to give Geno till the bye week and if he's flailing, stick a fork in it and put the Vet in to see if he could salvage the season.  That's all this was ever about. This season is not about seeing if an 11 year vet can do something he's never done before in his career and leaving open the unanswered question of what the Jets truly have in Geno Smith.

And once again because it for some reason doesnt sink in with you...the coaching staff agreed with my position hence Geno being the starter until he showed his ass. 

So, that sucks.

Luckily, Petty looked like he grew up a year in a week so there maybe some light at the end of this very dark QB tunnel. 

Sucks that Geno threw away a shot at a breakout season, and maybe a shot at ever being a franchise QB for anybody, over $600. 

However, I still disagree with you that an 8-8 season does nothing for a team.  We only believe that because the last two times the Jets went 8-8, they followed it up with lousy seasons (6-10 in 2012; 4-12 in 2014).  And in actuality, the 8-8 season in 2013 people keep using to say Geno showed potential should never have been a true 8-8 campaign.  We were outscored by 96 points on the season.  That's 5-11 territory.  Our 4-12 season the following year proved how flukey the previous campaign was.

For most teams, a TRUE 8-8 season (where you score about as many points as your opposition and compete in most games) can actually be a successful building block season.  In our situation, 2-14 regardless of who the QB is would likely mean we need to blow everything up.  Again.

If they could sensibly have brought in a top QB in the draft, Geno would be an afterthought.  I think Bowles is stuck this season with someone else's guy.  I can understand losing with a guy you have plans for.  Not sure they have real plans for Geno, other than to cross their fingers and hope.  And this incident of Geno's might have soured them on him completely.  I think they try to win as many games as they can any way they can and keep looking for their QB.

Sucks that Geno threw away a shot at a breakout season, and maybe a shot at ever being a franchise QB for anybody, over $600. 

However, I still disagree with you that an 8-8 season does nothing for a team.  We only believe that because the last two times the Jets went 8-8, they followed it up with lousy seasons (6-10 in 2012; 4-12 in 2014).  For most teams, 8-8 can actually be a successful building block season.  In our situation, 2-14 regardless of who the QB is would likely mean we need to blow everything up.  Again.

Again, missing the point.  I'm done with it.  It's unbelievable at this point.

Here's to hopefully 8-8 with Ryan Fitzpatrick!!!!  It's going to be great!!!! 

Again, missing the point.  I'm done with it.  It's unbelievable at this point.

Here's to hopefully 8-8 with Ryan Fitzpatrick!!!!  It's going to be great!!!! 

Just makes no sense to be this pessimistic about it.  It's not like the coaching staff opted for Fitz.  Geno f*cked his own situation up.  Nothing that can be done about it now.

If they could sensibly have brought in a top QB in the draft, Geno would be an afterthought.  I think Bowles is stuck this season with someone else's guy.  I can understand losing with a guy you have plans for.  Not sure they have real plans for Geno, other than to cross their fingers and hope.  And this incident of Geno's might have soured them on him completely.  I think they try to win as many games as they can any way they can and keep looking for their QB.

Clearly they're in that boat now.  But they were going with Geno for a reason prior to getting his jaw broke.  Whether it was because they thought he gave them a better chance to win or they were ok with sucking with someone else's guy to see if he could put it together, who knows?  I tend to think they were using the same line of thinking as I was...but again, who knows?

Either way, it's not a good thing and that sucks but you're right. win as many as you can and keep looking.  Maybe the D goes lights out and the run game goes gang busters and Fitz can do something he's never done before.  It is what it is at this point and I'm surely hoping for the best.  But it certainly isnt very exciting. 

Just makes no sense to be this pessimistic about it.  It's not like the coaching staff opted for Fitz.  Geno f*cked his own situation up.  Nothing that can be done about it now.

I'm a Jets fan and you're telling me to be optimistic?  GFY.  haha

It's cool. I havent seen much on Mallet to really know if he's worth it or not, then again our starting QB is Ryan Fitzpatrick and he's not all that great to begin with. It doesnt bode to well that he couldn't beat out Hoyer for the job though. 

Who wanted this guy?

Ryan Mallett - QB - Texans

Ryan Mallett missed Thursday's practice because he overslept.

It's hard to fathom for a 27-year-old man who was in pursuit of the Texans' starting job as recently as three days ago. The Texans gave Mallett a chance to make something of his career after three years in the Patriots backup wilderness, and he's responded in remarkably limp fashion. The Browns have a strong case, as well, but you could argue Houston has the worst quarterback situation in the league.

Well, a couple weeks ago that concept would have been nonsensical but after last week not so ridiculous anymore. That said I think you go with Fitz till Geno is ready and then make the decision on Geno long term based on his play. I could definitely see a scenario where Petty starts this year, but not at the beginning barring injury

The concept is just as silly today as it was a couple of weeks ago.  The reason it was silly then is that the idea is to develop Petty.  Nothing has changed since then because he played well vs backups in a preseason game.  

Archived