Ryan Mallett?

drsamuel84

Sucks that Geno threw away a shot at a breakout season, and maybe a shot at ever being a franchise QB for anybody, over $600. 

However, I still disagree with you that an 8-8 season does nothing for a team.  We only believe that because the last two times the Jets went 8-8, they followed it up with lousy seasons (6-10 in 2012; 4-12 in 2014).  And in actuality, the 8-8 season in 2013 people keep using to say Geno showed potential should never have been a true 8-8 campaign.  We were outscored by 96 points on the season.  That's 5-11 territory.  Our 4-12 season the following year proved how flukey the previous campaign was.

For most teams, a TRUE 8-8 season (where you score about as many points as your opposition and compete in most games) can actually be a successful building block season.  In our situation, 2-14 regardless of who the QB is would likely mean we need to blow everything up.  Again.

What sucks for you is that nobody else believes this and as much as you'll hate this and probably argue endlessly, Geno will be the QB in week 5 or so and have his time to prove whether he is a option moving forward or not.  

Fitz going 8-8, 9-7 whatever and no playoffs accomplishes nothing.  He'll be replaced next year and this would have been a wasted season.  

The concept is just as silly today as it was a couple of weeks ago.  The reason it was silly then is that the idea is to develop Petty.  Nothing has changed since then because he played well vs backups in a preseason game.  

I did not say to plan on Petty starting but if Geno falters towards the end of the season you could get him some experience.

I did not say to plan on Petty starting but if Geno falters towards the end of the season you could get him some experience.

I didn't realize thats what you meant.  I could see maybe one or two games at the end of the season if Geno bombs out.  

I don't want to start a thread about every QB option who may be available but this one could be viable.  He lost the starting job to Hoyer and our GM obviously has a relationship with the Texans.  Not sure what it would take to get him here but I think it would be worth looking into.  

Fitz beat our Mallet last year...why trade for the guy who got beat out by the QB who you are obviously unhappy with?

What sucks for you is that nobody else believes this and as much as you'll hate this and probably argue endlessly, Geno will be the QB in week 5 or so and have his time to prove whether he is a option moving forward or not.  

Fitz going 8-8, 9-7 whatever and no playoffs accomplishes nothing.  He'll be replaced next year and this would have been a wasted season.  

Don't particularly care who agrees with me or not.  8-8 or 9-7 is a precursor to being a contender.  If we can manage to achieve that kind of record regardless of our QB, in my mind it is preferable to going 2-14 UNLESS the 2016 QB class features a prospect on the level of Elway/Luck.  At 8-8 or 9-7, that's the kind of team maybe a pissed off Drew Brees would like to play for, or at the very least a promising QB prospect on the level of a Teddy Bridgewater could have success with.  Plus it'll make the season fun.  If we totally bottom out it could well be a sign that maybe we hired either the wrong GM, the wrong HC, or both.

Don't particularly care who agrees with me or not.  8-8 or 9-7 is a precursor to being a contender.  If we can manage to achieve that kind of record regardless of our QB, in my mind it is preferable to going 2-14 UNLESS the 2016 QB class features a prospect on the level of Elway/Luck.  At 8-8 or 9-7, that's the kind of team maybe a pissed off Drew Brees would like to play for, or at the very least a promising QB prospect on the level of a Teddy Bridgewater could have success with.  Plus it'll make the season fun.  If we totally bottom out it could well be a sign that maybe we hired either the wrong GM, the wrong HC, or both.

You don't care?  LOL you've got 10,000 posts trying to convince people.  

I'm usually all for crawling before you walk but with this team and its makeup, there is no advantage to 8-8 or 9-7.  Its a wasted year.  I would rather risk 6-10 with Geno to find out if he could go 10-6.  If he's viable moving forward or do we need to draft another QB or even trade for a Meck.

Geno will never play another down for the NYJ and they draft another QB in 2016 to ratchet up the competition.

This regime would never have drafted him and fully realizes he is a petulant loser who will never amount to anything substantial.

Lmaoo you don't have clue what the new Regime would do none of us do. 

Lmaoo you don't have clue what the new Regime would do none of us do. 

agreed.  That was a silly comment.  Our GM already circled 4 weeks till Geno is back on the field, thinking he hasn't pencilled in the bye week as a possible return date is silly.  No one knows if he will return or not to the jets #1 QB, but if we limp out of the gates, it would appear they already have agreed internally on when to make the switch...

Geno will never play another down for the NYJ and they draft another QB in 2016 to ratchet up the competition.

This regime would never have drafted him and fully realizes he is a petulant loser who will never amount to anything substantial.

And yet, this regime had it written in with ink that Geno would be the opening day starter before he got his block knocked off. 

Absolute worst case for Geno is that he's the #2 QB the rest of the way once he's healthy. Think Fitz isn't going to miss a down all year? 

And yet, this regime had it written in with ink that Geno would be the opening day starter before he got his block knocked off. 

Absolute worst case for Geno is that he's the #2 QB the rest of the way once he's healthy. Think Fitz isn't going to miss a down all year? 

Of course they had to name Geno the starter. It was his job to lose plus Fitz was coming off a broken leg and was still a question mark physically. 

I still feel Mac and Bowles would never have drafted Geno if they were running the show that draft.

Also wouldnt surprise me if we see Petty behind center if Fitz gets hurt.

I dont think anybody on this team cares for Geno including CS and managment.

Until and unless you have a proven QB on the roster, 2-14 > 8-8.

Disagree. I think the sweet spot is a 4-12 season where you are pigeon-holed outside of the real blue-chip talent in a draft, have no shot at the top QB, and/or at best are relegated to choosing the last blue chip guy. For best results, win the last game of the season for the morale boost it provides to future teams.

Archived