Minor injury for Jets’ Jace Amaro is becoming real issue

JetFreak89

Jace Amaro hopes to be ready for the start of the regular season, but the Jets second-year tight end also wants to be 100 percent and admits his sprained left shoulder remains painful.

What at first he thought was a minor injury has lasted far longer. Amaro landed awkwardly on the shoulder in the team’s preseason opener, against the Lions, and hasn’t practiced since.

Jets coach Todd Bowles said he doesn’t expect him back on the practice field anytime soon, which further makes the tight end’s return by the Sept. 13 opener, against the Browns, seem like a long shot. On Monday, Amaro said he hopes to play in the preseason finale, against the Eagles, yet the shoulder remains an issue.

“Every day it’s been getting better. It’s just a really slow process,” said Amaro, who had 38 receptions for 345 yards and two touchdowns in a disappointing rookie season. “I really can’t lift my arm up all the way very quickly and rapidly the way I want to yet. … It just takes time.

“It’s just frustrating. I just want to get out there and be able to play.”

Bowles has referred to Damon “Snacks” Harrison as an auctioneer in training, which the defensive tackle doesn’t mind. He likes to chirp.

“That’s something I’ve always done. Now I’m a little more boisterous. I’m just trying to get guys going,” Harrison said. “I tell Coach Bowles and anybody on the offensive line, until they shut me up [with their play], I’ll keep talking.”

Harrison has a special nickname for Leonard Williams, whom some call Big Cat.

“I call him the Little Kitty,” Harrison said. “He doesn’t like it. He’s a rookie. What can he do? He has to learn to like it, because he has another year before I stop calling him that.”

Linebacker Calvin Pace left practice with a groin strain, but there was no immediate update on its severity. … Bowles ruled out rookie linebacker Lorenzo Mauldin (sprained knee) for Saturday’s game against the Giants. … Defensive end Muhammad Wilkerson (hamstring) practiced for the second straight day. After taking reps with the second team in drills, he got most of his work in with the first team on Monday. … Bowles said it is unlikely rookie wide receiver Devin Smith (broken ribs) will be ready for the regular-season opener. … Backup quarterback Matt Flynn (hamstring) is unlikely to play Saturday, against the Giants, despite taking part in positional drills the last two days. … The Jets signed tight end Matt LaCosse and waived defensive lineman Davon Walls.

Training Day

Way to Cro’!

Cornerback Antonio Cromartie enjoyed one of his best practices of camp, picking off a Ryan Fitzpatrick pass and also breaking up a slant intended for Eric Decker. It’s about time the veteran woke up.

Hit the Deck’

Decker struggled through an uneven day. While he did catch a touchdown pass from Fitzpatrick in team drills, he also had a few drops, including a long pass down the right sideline in which he had Darrelle Revis beat and was unable to haul in another pass that was slightly behind him.

Caught my eye

Injuries are taking their toll on the team’s depth, forcing young and inexperienced players to get extra reps. With receivers Jeremy Kerley (concussion) and Devin Smith (ribs) out, Chris Owusu, Saalim Hakim and DeVier Posey have seen plenty of time with the first and second teams. The same goes for offensive tackle and safety, where injuries to Ben Ijalama (knee) and Antonio Allen (Achilles) have hurt.

Injury report

Outside linebacker Calvin Pace left practice with a strained groin. Rookie linebacker Lorenzo Mauldin (sprained knee) didn’t practice. Neither did quarterback Geno Smith (jaw) or tight end Jace Amaro (sprained left shoulder), but both were out stretching and in the rehab area during practice for the first time since getting hurt.

Had high hopes for Amaro but something just feels off. Rex never took much of a liking to him and doesn't seem like this coaching staff thinks much of him as well. I could be wrong but don't remember having so many TEs at training camp before. This tells me they want to move in another direction 

why the hate?  he played in all 16 games last year?  mike evans has a hammy issues and is sitting out the rest of preseason.  guys are going down left and right.  i'm just hoping the jets have devin and amaro for the eagles game.

We already know Mike Evans is good though. 

Amaro played his best ball with Geno last year and had a really nice six game stretch where he hauled in 29 of 34 targets for 272 yards and 1 td.  Once Vick was named starter Amaro's targets really dropped for whatever reason, Vick almost never looked for him.  Extrapolate that 6 game stretch out and it's roughly 725 yards, which isn't unreasonable in this type of offense. The kid's got talent, he just needs to get on the field. 

Archived