Sammie Coates looking Good With Steelers

JetBlue

I loved the Devin Smith pick but before the draft I was also intrigued with Sammie Coates as a deep threat (he went in the third round).  Of course I was told he would be a bust, he couldn't catch, blah, blah, blah. 

So far he is making the Steelers look like geniuses (only preseason I KNOW).  

In three years at Auburn, Steelers rookie Sammie Coates caught just 82 passes.

In his second preseason game, Coates caught five passes in Pittsburgh's 23-21 loss in Jacksonville on Friday night.

Coates, who had just one catch for 12 yards against the Vikings on Sunday, had 52 yards receiving against the Jaguars. He saved his best for last on Friday, showcasing his athleticism by tightroping the sideline to pull down this 17-yard catch on third down to help keep the Steelers final drive alive.

Coates also made his impact on special teams, recovering a fumbled kickoff return by Storm Johnson earlier in the fourth quarter that helped set up Landry Jones' touchdown pass to C.J. Goodwin to get the Steelers the lead, 21-17.

A third round pick, Coates was known for his big play ability during his time with the Tigers. After racking up 902 yards on 42 catches for a 21.5 yards per catch average as a sophomore, Coates caught 34 passes for an average of 21.8 yards per catch and four touchdowns in 2014. During the Tigers' run to the BCS National Championship Game in 2013, Coates averaged 54.1 yards per touchdown reception on his seven touchdown catches that season, and had 14 catches of over 30 yards. For his career the 6-1, 212 pound Coates averaged 21.4 yards a catch.

With an offense already armed with receivers Antonio BrownMartavis Bryant, and Markus Wheaton, Coates will have to make the most of his opportunities to make plays. He did just that on Friday night, and will hopefully continued to make a difference for the Steelers on both offense and special teams in 2015.

Pittsburgh has certainly grabbed value picks at WR, taken a bit of a chance on guys staring 3rd round or so and have hit some gold.  I am not all that mad at not getting Coates this past draft but passing on Bryant and taking the scrubs we did the previous draft was heinous drafting.

Pittsburgh has certainly grabbed value picks at WR, taken a bit of a chance on guys staring 3rd round or so and have hit some gold.  I am not all that mad at not getting Coates this past draft but passing on Bryant and taking the scrubs we did the previous draft was heinous drafting.

I agree. I am fine with our pick of Devin Smith but passing on Bryant, not once but TWICE was inexcusable.  I still hold out hope that Evans can develop into a decent 3rd or 4th receiver at some point.  

I agree. I am fine with our pick of Devin Smith but passing on Bryant, not once but TWICE was inexcusable.  I still hold out hope that Evans can develop into a decent 3rd or 4th receiver at some point.  

Bryant is not even starting over Markus Wheaton at this point. Sure the guy made some homerun type catches for the Steelers last year but has been quoted as not knowing the playbook at all. If he was a Jet draft pick he'd be ripped to shreds as a stupid player with no motivation.

I'm not exactly sure how a third round receiver hauling in five catches for 60ish yards equates to them looking like geniuses.  Steelers have been phenomenal at drafting talent at the WR position outside the first round the last decade, but as already mentioned, it doesn't hurt when you are playing with a HOF QB in a system that gives them time to mature and learn. 

Bryant is not even starting over Markus Wheaton at this point. Sure the guy made some homerun type catches for the Steelers last year but has been quoted as not knowing the playbook at all. If he was a Jet draft pick he'd be ripped to shreds as a stupid player with no motivation.

8 tds and 550 yards in 10 games, 3 of which he started is nothing to sneeze at.  Lets' put it this way, he showed one hell of a lot more promise than Shaq freaking evans and saunders and was worth a look at that point in the draft over those two jags, and yeah I'm calling Evans a jag.  He has literally done zero to impress me.

I didn't like Coates. Granted I only watched a couple of his games because of fan duel, but his hands sucked. He reminded me of Stephen Hill. I'm much happier with the potential of the Devin Smith pick, now if we could find a Ben Roethlisberger now that'd be great.

8 tds and 550 yards in 10 games, 3 of which he started is nothing to sneeze at.  Lets' put it this way, he showed one hell of a lot more promise than Shaq freaking evans and saunders and was worth a look at that point in the draft over those two jags, and yeah I'm calling Evans a jag.  He has literally done zero to impress me.

But in the Steelers offense with BigBen at QB wr's can freelance and don't really need to worry as much about routes or the playbook. Put that freelance WR in the Jets system and you basically have a guy running windsprints all game with no catches. Evans and Enumwa may end as high ceiling Jags but if they're being asked to only play 4th/5th wr roles that may be ok. The depth at wr right now is better than probably anytime in the last decade. 

To be fair, he went to Clemson.

I agree. Coates had Hill type production in college, and we weren't going to go with another high upside low production WR prospect. 

The fact we came away with nothing at WR in the best WR draft class in history drives me insane.

Sammie Coates caught two passes for 60 yards in the Steelers' third preseason game.

We saw the good and bad from Coates in this game. He got three steps on rookie Packers CB Quinten Rollins in the third quarter, but a badly thrown ball allowed Rollins to recover and hold Coates to a 54-yard gain. Coates also dropped two passes, the second of which was a bad concentration drop with no defender around. Coates oozes physical upside, but he will be no better than fourth on the depth chart when the season begins.

Actually for once I'm not jelious of other teams Wide receivers, the Jets looks pretty good, even without D Smith.

Good on the Sterlers they have always been a solid drafting team.

Last time Jets drafted a real offensive playmaker was Keyshawn Johnson. That's pathetic.

Coates feels like Stephen Hill 2.0 to me.  Anyone who watched the senior bowl saw flashes from Coates, and saw bad drops (corner of the endzone fade drop on the first drive of the senior bowl 2 plays after an offensive pass interference).

he's a blockhead that had 12 dropped passes last year...glad we have Smith and Owusu...I dont feel like we're missing anything in not drafting him

I'm not exactly sure how a third round receiver hauling in five catches for 60ish yards equates to them looking like geniuses.  Steelers have been phenomenal at drafting talent at the WR position outside the first round the last decade, but as already mentioned, it doesn't hurt when you are playing with a HOF QB in a system that gives them time to mature and learn. 

You are right. I did go over board with the genius comment and I am very happy with Devin Smith (hopefully he gets back on the field soon) but I liked Coates potential and I think he will develop into a quality receiver.  He was good value in the third round. 

Archived