Evan Mathis signs with Denver

joewilly12

Evan Mathis has found a new home. 

Over two months after the Eagles released him over a contract dispute, Mathis has agreed to a one-year deal with the Denver Broncos, the team announced on Tuesday. 

Although details of the contract were not announced, Mathis will earn $2.5 million as a base salary, with the chance to earn an additional $1.5 million in incentives, a person familiar with the situation who requested anonymity informed NJ Advance Media.  

The potential to earn up to $4 million is impressive for this late in training camp, but still falls short of the $5.5 million he was set to earn with the Eagles.

The team's decision to release Mathis came after the two butted heads for close to a year over the offensive guard's request for a new contract. 

I dunno, their oline got absolutely butchered this off-season. Losing Ryan Clady was a brutal loss.

True, but then again they lost Clady once before, without the benefit of an offseason from mid-May onward through the summer, to prepare for a season without him.

Not that losing Clady is any type of advantage, or in any way good for them, but without him they scored 600 points as Peyton Manning had basically the best season in the history of seasons (until the Super Bowl, that is).

True, but then again they lost Clady once before, without the benefit of an offseason from mid-May onward through the summer, to prepare for a season without him.

Not that losing Clady is any type of advantage, or in any way good for them, but without him they scored 600 points as Peyton Manning had basically the best season in the history of seasons (until the Super Bowl, that is).

True. The loss of Clady didnt hurt so bad given that Peyton gets rid of the ball in like 2 seconds. Also, Ty Sambrailo has been a nice fill in from what I've seen in Denver's first preseason game. 

Evan Mathis has found a new home. 

Over two months after the Eagles released him over a contract dispute, Mathis has agreed to a one-year deal with the Denver Broncos, the team announced on Tuesday. 

Although details of the contract were not announced, Mathis will earn $2.5 million as a base salary, with the chance to earn an additional $1.5 million in incentives, a person familiar with the situation who requested anonymity informed NJ Advance Media.  

The potential to earn up to $4 million is impressive for this late in training camp, but still falls short of the $5.5 million he was set to earn with the Eagles.

The team's decision to release Mathis came after the two butted heads for close to a year over the offensive guard's request for a new contract. 

So this dude bitched and moaned his way out of Philly due to wanting more money then signs for less than he would have earned in Philly. 

Impressive. 

Denver is really make a run for the SB though. 

True. The loss of Clady didnt hurt so bad given that Peyton gets rid of the ball in like 2 seconds. Also, Ty Sambrailo has been a nice fill in from what I've seen in Denver's first preseason game. 

Any of our sorry ass QBs (and those who guard their reputations like they were their own offspring) would have drooled over the built in excuse of having Chris Clark protect their blind side for 15 games. Probably would have uttered quotes like, "Even Peyton Manning wouldn't be able to do jack squat with that stiff protecting him." 

True, but that doesn't have much to do with their running game, which is what I was speaking on. They were 12th last year according to FO and I don't think losing your All-Pro LT is ever really a good thing.  Will they be one of the top pass-pro olines? Of course, any team with Manning will be.  I just think think their running game might suffer, although Kubiak could balance the loss out. 

True, but that doesn't have much to do with their running game, which is what I was speaking on. They were 12th last year according to FO and I don't think losing your All-Pro LT is ever really a good thing.  Will they be one of the top pass-pro olines? Of course, any team with Manning will be.  I just think think their running game might suffer, although Kubiak could balance the loss out. 

I didn't say it wasn't a blow. I'm merely suggesting it isn't the blow it would be to other teams with lesser QBs.

Smart move for Denver.  Their OL was looking very suspect.  

What does this do for CJ Anderson's fantasy value? 

Definitely moves him up a few spots for me.  The difference between Lesean McCoy's productivity in Philly with Evan Mathis and without him was staggering.  Something like a little more than a full yard per carry difference. 

Definitely moves him up a few spots for me.  The difference between Lesean McCoy's productivity in Philly with Evan Mathis and without him was staggering.  Something like a little more than a full yard per carry difference. 

Hypothetical situation because I think it's going to happen to me tonight in my work league draft:

PPR league, 2 RB's, 2 WR's, Flex.

You have your choice of: Anderson, Lynch, Forte or D. Thomas, D. Bryant, J. Jones.

Which way do you go?  I pick 9 in a 12 man league.

Hypothetical situation because I think it's going to happen to me tonight in my work league draft:

PPR league, 2 RB's, 2 WR's, Flex.

You have your choice of: Anderson, Lynch, Forte or D. Thomas, D. Bryant, J. Jones.

Which way do you go?  I pick 9 in a 12 man league.

I think you go RB there.  Lynch or Forte.  I'm not buying that because Trestman is gone all of a sudden Forte will stop catching passes.  I get that people will reach for WR's, perhaps leaving no elite ones left for you in round 2, but that's a dice roll I'm willing to make.  There's a lot of good WR's available.  Lock in an elite back and then load up on several WR's you like.

I think you go RB there.  Lynch or Forte.  I'm not buying that because Trestman is gone all of a sudden Forte will stop catching passes.  I get that people will reach for WR's, perhaps leaving no elite ones left for you in round 2, but that's a dice roll I'm willing to make.  There's a lot of good WR's available.  Lock in an elite back and then load up on several WR's you like.

Lynch would be my pick but he's the least likely I think to be on the board.

You like Forte over Anderson?  Because that's what I think I'll have and it's the direction I'm leaning but the way Anderson finished the season makes me think he's the call...especially with Mathis signing.  

The other thing is, if I dont get the the "elite" WR there...I wont have one period, I dont think.  I think they'll all get picked up prior to my 2nd round pick and the difference between the elite guys and say the #10 guy is significant, whereas, the #10 WR and the #30 WR is minuscule.  Where as if I miss on a Forte, Anderson, Lynch type back...is it that big of difference if a land say a Jeremy Hill who I think I could snag coming back around. 

Lynch would be my pick but he's the least likely I think to be on the board.

You like Forte over Anderson?  Because that's what I think I'll have and it's the direction I'm leaning but the way Anderson finished the season makes me think he's the call...especially with Mathis signing.  

The other thing is, if I dont get the the "elite" WR there...I wont have one period, I dont think.  I think they'll all get picked up prior to my 2nd round pick and the difference between the elite guys and say the #10 guy is significant, whereas, the #10 WR and the #30 WR is minuscule.  Where as if I miss on a Forte, Anderson, Lynch type back...is it that big of difference if a land say a Jeremy Hill who I think I could snag coming back around. 

I just never trust Denver RB's, because you never know if CJ will just randomly lose his job midseason.  True, Montee is a bust and Hillman is too small, making it highly unlikely, but I just can't justify burning a 1st rounder on CJ.  2nd rounder?  Sure.  He and Hill are in the same category for me.  So yes, if you pass on Lynch or Forte to take a Hill or CJ in the 2nd, I see that as a significant step down.

I would say Forte or Lynch, and if they're both off the board, get the best WR you like.  If CJ or Hill make it to your 2nd rounder, that would be the nice time to grab one of those 2.

You think he was concerned about being healthy throughout the season? 

O-linemen always have to have that concern.  Especially at his advancing age.

Also have to wonder if he thought the Eagles were going to implode this year and he wanted to play for a team with a more legit shot at a Super Bowl.

O-linemen always have to have that concern.  Especially at his advancing age.

Also have to wonder if he thought the Eagles were going to implode this year and he wanted to play for a team with a more legit shot at a Super Bowl.

if you get hurt in camp, can they cut you without any financial impact?  thought there generally was injury settlements.

i just don't get it.  he wasn't going to be getting more from another team.

Archived