No feel

BlakeSpenceBlockedPunt

As someone who spends way too much time reading, watching, listening, etc. to all things Jets I'm surprised at how little feel I have for the type of squad we're going to have this year.

Even with the recent new regimes (Groh, Herm, Mangini, Rex) I felt like I knew what to expect heading into the season.  This year, I'm having a lot of trouble figuring us out.

Anyone else feel the same way?

I have a great feeling about our front office and the new leadership in place.  I really like the way they operate.

On the field I really don't know what to expect...

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As someone who spends way too much time reading, watching, listening, etc. to all things Jets I'm surprised at how little feel I have for the type of squad we're going to have this year.

Even with the recent new regimes (Groh, Herm, Mangini, Rex) I felt like I knew what to expect heading into the season.  This year, I'm having a lot of trouble figuring us out.

I have a great feeling about our front office and the new leadership in place.  I really like the way they operate.

I dont disagree. With 2 years of Idziks picks looking awful, we are basically an expansion team.

I dont disagree. With 2 years of Idziks picks looking awful, we are basically an expansion team.

This is the reality of the situations. Idzik came into a situation where Rex and Tanny purged the talent and spent 4 years not finding or developing any new talent... and then proceeded to add 2 decent players in Ivory and Sheldon, while pissing away everything else.

If we're competitive this year, both Mac and Bowles deserve consideration for GM and Coach of the year, respectively. They'll never win those awards, because: JETS. 

But, they'd deserve it given what they inherited here.

Heard some talking head who works for NFL.com and whose father was an oline coach in the NFL and coached on same staffs as both Bowles and Rex say that Bowles is the best defensive mind in the league right now.  Says he makes the offense adjust to him moreso than anyone else in the league today.  

Man do I hope we get a unit that plays above its talent level...which would be great considering how much talent there is.  

We are paying a deep price for poor drafts for at least 5-6 years.

Blown 2nd round picks from 2010 on....  , a few blown 1sts etc.

The Pasts, as an example have heavy contribution from guys like Gronk (a 2nd), in 2008 we draft Gholsten, they draft Mayo and on and on.

agree completely.  GM and HC say all the right things.. I may have more faith in them than I do the players at this point.  Hate to say it, but it just feels that we have an underachieving group without a lot of concern for their performance.  Hope I am completely and absolutely wrong about that.

I think this team is very  talented but I fear they are going to have a hard time adapting to the new schemes. The first half of the season could be rough so hopefully we can grab a few breaks early on while this team learns to play faster especially on D which will and should be the strength of this team.

Interesting OP.  

I definitely agree.  I think that in part it has a lot to do with the strong dichotomy between what was here just last year in Rex and the FO for over six years   

They were here in the main as a group an in your face group while Bowles is just a straight out tell it like he sees it kind of guy.

for example  where Mangini was trying to be a clever Belichick lite  and he always acted like he had some "secret" plan up his sleeve when he had no plan other than a "process".   

I just feel like Bowles is a good guy like Rex but without the extras    

Whether it will equate to championship appearances I don't know but I like the manner the caption runs the ship  

Lets Go Jets!!!

I feel we could start slow, and I am hoping just for 2-2 in the first 4 games. Then do some more work over the Bye and come back and see if we continue to gel as the season goes further. I actually feel good about Petty for the future say after this season or a little more than that based on just the fact that he not only has the tools, but seems like he might be able to make good decisions on and off the field. That is actually significant if it holds true since I am now 50 years old and have not seen that out of any Jet team I have watched in my entire life for any length of time. We had like 1 year with Vinny in 1998 where that was the case, but aside of that I haven't seen it and it always has made our O such a liability the D can never truly assist in being as good as they can be. Other teams like GB, Colts, Pats, etc. have D's that are a joke, but they can be a joke when your O scores more than 30 points a game. Wonder what the average Jets O scoring has been for like the past 20 years. It has to be under 17 points a game.

I think it's because Bowles is keeping his hand close....we haven't seen at all what the defense is actually going to run in games....eg zero double A gap blitzes in preseason which is a hallmark of his AZ defenses.

also a lot of new faces

i love Mac- really think he's special. The best GM we've ever had, not much competition. Bowles I don't know yet.  But I think we're a few years away for sure, this Geno punch really sunk the 2015 season IMHO- no team can recover from what happened. And yes I really believe Geno  gave us our best chance:  the hunt for a franchise QB continues and that'll always be the thing until he's found.

We are paying a deep price for poor drafts for at least 5-6 years.

Blown 2nd round picks from 2010 on....  , a few blown 1sts etc.

The Pasts, as an example have heavy contribution from guys like Gronk (a 2nd), in 2008 we draft Gholsten, they draft Mayo and on and on.

Only from 2010?? LOL 

Agreed, not a clue how this team will do.

I feel the same way.

While I love the Ryan housecleaning, the moves Macca made in the offseason, and Bowles who looks like he's going to be solid, if you look at the pluses and minuses vs. last year's team you're not going to be too excited.  Defense is better but offense is basically Marshall for Harvin and that's not really enough to do cartwheels over. 

We were ranked 24th in defense, let's say we make it to 10th.  We were ranked 28th on offense, I'm feeling no better than 20th.  Special teams look bad.  Schedule is hard early on.  8-8 would be very successful with this squad methinks.

SAR I

I'm with you. History says that teams that spend freely in free agency generally don't get the expected bang for their buck. Cromartie looks a little shaky. Not really sure what to make of Gilchrist or Skrine. I hope the secondary is massively improved, but I'm not sold yet. Sheldon's suspension (and will he get more games?), the injuries to Geno and Devon Smith, Amaro, Mauldin.

Revis is a huge upgrade, Marshall is an upgrade, and Carpenter should be an upgrade. Love the Williams pick. Petty is for next year or beyond. Fitzpatrick? Not an upgrade, unfortunately, in my opinion. RBs are the same. OL, LBs pretty much the same. 

Division has the defending cheaters, and improved Bills and fish. The way it looks to me, the team would need much better QB play than I expect to be .500 or better. 

The issue is the same since Namath's glory day...no real talent at the most important position, QB.  Until the Jets find that, they'll always be a second tier team.

They weren't looked as a second tier team early in Todds career, Chad or Vinny.

I'm going to venture a guess:

3 and 5 the first half, as we try to figure out the new O and D

5 and 3  after we gel.

for  8 and 8 overall.  Next year 2 more wins.

I'm in the same boat.  I think that extremely lack luster performance by Fitzpatrick is making it even more difficult to assess.  For the most part, the overwhelming consensus around this team was with the amount of talent they have, just an average game manager can get them to 9 or 10 wins...but then you saw an average game manager in action and it was scary how bad he looked.  The biggest issue is, the division is really tough and I just dont think the Jets are up to the challenge.  And having to the play the NFCE sucks.  But, got lucky drawing the AFCS this season.

The Patriots will win 12 or 13 games and go to the SB again this year because they're cheaters. 

The Dolphags are probably next because they've got a QB and they did a great job of building around him this offseason (Landry, Jennings, Stills, Parker, Cameron/Miller, Ajay, James) - that's pretty nasty for their offensive system.  And then their Dline is going to be absolutely disgusting.  What Suh brings to the table for guys like Wake and Vernon...it's not going to pretty for teams that struggle to pass protect.  Still some questions on the back end of the D and the OL...but I dont think its a big issue

And then the Bills.  They're basically the most talented team in Football without the most importance piece....QB.  Similar to the Jets, its hard to assess a team like that.  Loaded but when you have possibly the worst starting QB in the league, which is the case for both teams, you're in trouble.  Bottom line.  Both teams basically need a top 5 defense and running game to succeed.

I could see this team winning as little as 4 games or as many as 7, possibly 8, dont see them going better than .500...but I really have no F'ing clue. 

A couple of reasons that fans don't have a "feel" for the team:

- Unless you have the Sunday Ticket and watched ARZ over the past two years
you really don't know how good of a job Bowles did as their DC.  And now
that he's the HC you don't know what he'll be

- Bowles doesn't throw around compliments and boasts in the media to generate
"buzz" or pump up the fan base.  He's businesslike and focuses on the "boring"
step by step process of building a team

- Gailey has been out of the game for two years.  So even though you have an "idea"
of what his offense will be you don't know

- We've had a ton of nagging injuries that have kept the roster in flux at the
QB, TE, WR, DLine and LB spots

Archived