Leonard Williams has no ligament damage in knee, according to MRI

JETSfaninNE

New York Jets rookie defensive end Leonard Williams, who gave the franchise a scare with a knee injury Saturday night against the New York Giants, didn't suffer any ligament damage, a Sunday morning MRI revealed.

Williams, the sixth overall pick in the draft, sustained a muscle strain behind the knee. Although it is not considered a long-term injury, Williams' availability for the regular-season opener in two weeks is unclear.

The Jets were hopeful late Saturday night that the injury wasn't serious. An X-ray was negative, and the preliminary sense was that no ligaments were damaged.

The Jets are counting on Williams to start at defensive end. That wasn't the plan when they drafted him, but everything changed in early July, when Sheldon Richardson received a four-game suspension for violating the NFL's substance abuse policy.

Williams started the first three preseason games, recording 1.5 sacks [including a safety]. Richardson has been playing primarily with the backups.

If Williams isn't ready for Week 1, he likely would be replaced by Stephen Bowenor Leger Douzable.

Link

Yea baby!

He'll be there in week 1. And so will Mo. Saying it right now, Williams will win at least DROTW 3 times this year.

Everything goes up a Notch in the regular season. Mo & Co. were just coasting getting in shape. When Bowles let's the dogs out it's gonna be pretty f*cking exciting! We haven't blitzed any safeties or CBs yet. 

Josh McCown, say hello to my little friends!

Yea baby!

He'll be there in week 1. And so will Mo. Saying it right now, Williams will win at least DROTW 3 times this year.

Everything goes up a Notch in the regular season. Mo & Co. were just coasting getting in shape. When Bowles let's the dogs out it's gonna be pretty f*cking exciting! We haven't blitzed any safeties or CBs yet. 

Josh McCown, say hello to my little friends!

a muscle strain is not necessarily a big deal, although I have never seen a guy with one behind the knee.  That could be problematic as far as recovery goes.  Still a major relief.

a muscle strain is not necessarily a big deal, although I have never seen a guy with one behind the knee.  That could be problematic as far as recovery goes.  Still a major relief.

I would agree if he was an older player but this dude just turned 21 years old. I don't know about you but I healed pretty fast when I was 21 with bumps & bruises.

Archived