Glennon Top rated QB to be traded

FTL Jet Fan

Per La Canfora:

There is going to be a contending team that loses a quarterback, or a potentially-contending team that isn't satisfied with what it is getting from its starter. And there will be trade options. Several of them.

I had a personnel man I trust -- and whose evaluations have been pretty damn good over the years -- rank the available trade options. This guy was pretty adamant that the BuccaneersMike Glennon would be the most sought-after trade chip in this scenario.

"He's better than a lot of guys starting in this league," he said.

With Jameis Winston in town and the Bucs a rebuilding team, and Glennon getting deeper in his rookie deal, this makes a lot of sense. The Bucs need draft picks and Winston will do well to have a veteran backup around him moving forward -- a guy who has already seen everything.

Next up would be Tennessee's Zach Mettenberger, who is in a similar spot with Marcus Mariota in charge of the Titans offense possibly for the next decade. There will be some trade interest.

This exec put Kirk Cousins next on the list -- though this guy is by no means a Cousins fan -- but that quarterback probably has more value to the Redskins than to any other team, given their tenuous situation with RG3.

And last would be Ryan Mallett, who has long carried character issues with many teams, and whose sleeping through practice routine after losing out on the starting job in Houston did him no favors. This exec doesn't like Mallett's delivery or makeup and doubts the Texans could get much of anything for him.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love what the Jets have done this off-season, but if Glennon is in fact available for a fair price it would be very disappointing if they don't make a push for him.  

they may trade him next summer.  they will definitely wait to see if winston is any good first

the packers could trade brunell because they had confidence it wouldn't come back to haunt them and cost them their jobs

trading glennon in the next week or two gives you a 50/50 chance of putting you in the life insurance business bye christmas

I always liked Glennon, I liked him coming out of college.  I find it hard to believe TB would trade him this season with a rookie QB starting.  BTW, I think we can do OK with Fitz this year.  Fitzpatrick may no be elite, but he is the most polished QB we've had in years.

Problem is its to late for him to do anything with the Jets until next season, and this is an exec saying who he would go after, not who is available, I still don't believe Glennon is available unless you over pay.

Logically you're right. thinking outside the box a bit the Jets could still give Fitz his 4 weeks to start and then Glennon could come in take over from there unless Fitz really puts this offense together, which given the very conversation we all doubt. 

I seen Glennon last year play very well with a new offensive system that wasnt even fully installed. The bucs signed a new OC last year and right before the season started he either fell very ill or had a family situation and had to dismiss himself from the team. Glennon played well in that situation. This kid is in his 3rd year with his 3rd new offense/OC. Trade for Glennon now and by week 5 he'll have a good enough amount of the offense down and we can let his talent fill in the rest. 

The Jets will not be nearly bad enough to draft a quarterback in the first round next year. If they can swing a 2nd or 3rd rounder for Glennon I would pull the trigger.

actually there are 3-4 real good QB prospects today and not a lot of teams in need of a starting QB.  There's a good chance one will there late

actually there are 3-4 real good QB prospects today and not a lot of teams in need of a starting QB.  There's a good chance one will there late

And thats not even counting Mike Bercovici. He's taking over the reigns out at Arizona st. Loved what I seen from him last year in limited action. By the offseason Bercovici will be in the mix. If we dont trade for Glennon I hope we draft this kid. 

When you have a need, you have a need.

I think we can all agree the Jets have a need at quarterback. And that was before their projected starter took a sucker punch to the jaw that’s set to put him out of action for at least a few games of the 2015 season.

Enter Mike Glennon.

Vastly underrated as a passer, Glennon has performed well for the Buccaneers over the last two seasons, albeit with inconsistent playing time. In 19 games over the last two seasons, the former 3rd round pick has passed for just over 4,000 yards, and thrown for a more than respectable 29 touchdowns to just 15 interceptions.

That’s 3,400 yards, 24 touchdowns, and 12 interceptions over the course of a 16 game season.

Geno Smith‘s 16 game averages? 2,800 yards, 13 touchdowns, and 16 interceptions.

His QBR in 2014–had he qualified–would have put him 19th among signal callers, ahead of the likes of Alex Smith, Cam Newton, Andy Dalton, and Matthew Stafford. 

Additionally, Chan Gailey’s spread offense has a history of getting the best out of his quarterback. If he managed to get Tyler Thigpen to close to 3,000 all-purpose yards and 22 touchdowns, and land Ryan Fitzpatrick a six-year, $60 million contract, then Jets fans should be excited for what he’d be able to do with Glennon.

For the Buccaneers, it’s clear that their future at the quarterback position is in place, so why not cash in on their clipboard holder? With today’s advanced scouting, 3rd round picks can net more talent than in previous seasons, so it would be a worthwhile return.

Who would say no?

It’s a match made in heaven.

Archived