Glennon Top rated QB to be traded

FTL Jet Fan

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You don't have to ignore anything. You are talking about the end of the day, but when is that?  The guy is signed through 2016.  Dirt cheap.  There is no reason to trade him now unless somebody is desperate.  What good is a 2016 pick in 2015?  It won't make their roster any better.  They can hold on to him for the season, have a solid back up (that you think is a solid or better starter) and then deal him for the same pick they could get today.  Cassel was behind Brady and a FA that was franchised.  Brunell was ages ago and behind a first team all-pro iron man.  They got better picks for him than they gave up to get him.

I was going to say... why would they do this when they had every opportunity to set this up at the draft?  They could have gotten a 2015 pick.

what good will holding onto Glennon do for them, if there is an interested trading partner today, until the draft if by that time the interested trading partner goes away?  There's a risk in holding onto him.  

You don't have to ignore anything. You are talking about the end of the day, but when is that?  The guy is signed through 2016.  Dirt cheap.  There is no reason to trade him now unless somebody is desperate.  What good is a 2016 pick in 2015?  It won't make their roster any better.  They can hold on to him for the season, have a solid back up (that you think is a solid or better starter) and then deal him for the same pick they could get today.  Cassel was behind Brady and a FA that was franchised.  Brunell was ages ago and behind a first team all-pro iron man.  They got better picks for him than they gave up to get him.

I was going to say... why would they do this when they had every opportunity to set this up at the draft?  They could have gotten a 2015 pick.

Offering a 2nd round pick is as desperate as any team will get. Which is why I dont see the Bucs overlooking a 2nd or 3rd round pick for a guy that can sit on the bench (dirt cheap) through 2016 but isnt providing them anything outside of depth...which they could get via FA while using that high draft pick in an area of more pressing need. 

Yeah, they could hold on to him this year and have rock solid depth, but having Glennon a year removed from his successes along with the teams that could have traded for him in 2015 for 2016 draft picks will now probably use the 2016 draft to get a QB or even go to Tenn and enquire about their back up. 

What you said was a very good point, not denying that. Its one of the better ones that I've heard actually. But imo if the Bucs are offered a 3rd or 2nd rounder for Glennon and they decline it I doubt that they will get the same type of offer going into the offseason because the team getting him this year could actually play him at that dirt cheap price. Next year you probably will have to restructure in order for him not to potentially hit FA or have to use a franchise tag on him just to keep him with the organization. 

Again, good point though. 

what good will holding onto Glennon do for them, if there is an interested trading partner today, until the draft if by that time the interested trading partner goes away?  There's a risk in holding onto him.  

What good was holding on at the 2015 draft?  The same risks were there then.  2014 draft too.  They have a rookie QB and then Seth Lobato.  You guys are suggesting Charlie Whitehurst?  Why wouldn't the trade partner do that?  Glennon isn't going to be ready to start the opener on another team anyway.  The trade market for legit QBs does not go away.  There is more risk in moving him than holding him.

If Glennon and Petty were in the same draft who would be drafted first? I think the plan is for Fitzy/Geno to get us through 2015 and then have Petty in the mix for the 2016 job. Or, if the QB's suck this year then make a trade for Glennon or draft one in RD 1 of 2016. I think Petty looks the part.

they're committed to Jameis.  

And if he sucks?

Sorry, I just really hate these scenarios where Team A ignores all kinds of asset management and helps out Team B. Glennon still has another year too. Trading Glennon for a pick is poor asset management right now. The backups that are available are the bottom of the barrel. See: NY Jets after Geno went down. 

Offering a 2nd round pick is as desperate as any team will get. Which is why I dont see the Bucs overlooking a 2nd or 3rd round pick for a guy that can sit on the bench (dirt cheap) through 2016 but isnt providing them anything outside of depth...which they could get via FA while using that high draft pick in an area of more pressing need. 

Yeah, they could hold on to him this year and have rock solid depth, but having Glennon a year removed from his successes along with the teams that could have traded for him in 2015 for 2016 draft picks will now probably use the 2016 draft to get a QB or even go to Tenn and enquire about their back up. 

What you said was a very good point, not denying that. Its one of the better ones that I've heard actually. But imo if the Bucs are offered a 3rd or 2nd rounder for Glennon and they decline it I doubt that they will get the same type of offer going into the offseason because the team getting him this year could actually play him at that dirt cheap price. Next year you probably will have to restructure in order for him not to potentially hit FA or have to use a franchise tag on him just to keep him with the organization. 

Again, good point though. 

I don't think most teams look at his successes the way that you do and he is already fairly removed from it.  I just see the QB market as least likely to value late camp trades.  It takes to long to learn the system and get ready.  guys starting that join teams mid-season deals are usually disasters - Josh Freeman in Minnesota, I'm looking at you!   I could see them doing it for a 2nd, but I can't see a team wanting to burn their 2nd for a dude that probably won't be ready until week 4 or so.

What good was holding on at the 2015 draft?  The same risks were there then.  2014 draft too.  They have a rookie QB and then Seth Lobato.  You guys are suggesting Charlie Whitehurst?  Why wouldn't the trade partner do that?  Glennon isn't going to be ready to start the opener on another team anyway.  The trade market for legit QBs does not go away.  There is more risk in moving him than holding him.

Unless you have a crystal ball you don't know what the market will be at draft time.  You don't know how many college QBs will develop and how many will be in the draft.  If 3 teams need a QB and there are 5 top QB prospects the trade possibilities for Glennon could dry up.  A trade partner wouldn't want Whitehurst, he's a backup all the way.  Anyone trading for Glennon is hoping he can be their 1.  There is no risk in moving him now, he's not in their plans and Jameis is not a fragile body

I don't think most teams look at his successes the way that you do and he is already fairly removed from it.  I just see the QB market as least likely to value late camp trades.  It takes to long to learn the system and get ready.  guys starting that join teams mid-season deals are usually disasters - Josh Freeman in Minnesota, I'm looking at you!   I could see them doing it for a 2nd, but I can't see a team wanting to burn their 2nd for a dude that probably won't be ready until week 4 or so.

I doubt any of the teams look at his success the way I do, because if they did he certainly wouldnt be a Buc. Given that he is fairly removed from his success as stated, this is why I feel like the market value will go down a bit if they were to decline an offer today in relation to next offseason. 

As for the Jets, I doubt they would do it because they will also have Geno back by the end of week 4. However, if they were really concerned or just seen the potential in Glennon the fact that you could get him while allowing Fitz to hold down the beginning of the season isnt a bad idea given that Fitz either way will be playing the first month of the season. 

Wouldnt you want to take that opportunity to then get a guy that you believe could be successful? Whether trade or not, Fitz is going to be week 1's starter. 

And if he sucks?

Sorry, I just really hate these scenarios where Team A ignores all kinds of asset management and helps out Team B. Glennon still has another year too. Trading Glennon for a pick is poor asset management right now. The backups that are available are the bottom of the barrel. See: NY Jets after Geno went down. 

If he sucks?  You think they're going to decide Jameis isn't good enough this year?  Lol

Unless you have a crystal ball you don't know what the market will be at draft time.  You don't know how many college QBs will develop and how many will be in the draft.  If 3 teams need a QB and there are 5 top QB prospects the trade possibilities for Glennon could dry up.  A trade partner wouldn't want Whitehurst, he's a backup all the way.  Anyone trading for Glennon is hoping he can be their 1.  There is no risk in moving him now, he's not in their plans and Jameis is not a fragile body

Villain is as irrational as anybody on the topic of Glennon and he understands what I am saying.  You want Glennon to be your starter?  Fair enough.  When is he going to start?  It's not going to be week 1.  That is why I think the time to make this deal has past, or has not yet arrived. 

Villain is as irrational as anybody on the topic of Glennon and he understands what I am saying.  You want Glennon to be your starter?  Fair enough.  When is he going to start?  It's not going to be week 1.  That is why I think the time to make this deal has past, or has not yet arrived. 

I was looking at it from the standpoint of the Bucs trading him if they got an offer not from wanting him for my team now as a starter.  That was the question, wasn't it?  Thought it was why would they trade him now instead of next year.  Big difference.  

The downside to the Jets trading for Glennon is that we won't have any more posts from villain drooling over how we have to get him!  Jk

I'm somewhat convinced he's going to end up a Jet based on your karma. And those GIFs you posted were impressive throws. I'm very far from being any kind of QB evaluator but from what I saw, he's got a good arm, good accuracy, and good touch.  I'd be cool w it if they decide to take a chance on him. 

The downside to the Jets trading for Glennon is that we won't have any more posts from villain drooling over how we have to get him!  Jk

I'm somewhat convinced he's going to end up a Jet based on your karma. And those GIFs you posted were impressive throws. I'm very far from being any kind of QB evaluator but from what I saw, he's got a good arm, good accuracy, and good touch.  I'd be cool w it if they decide to take a chance on him. 

If we trade for Glennon he'd probably suck and totally embarrass me lol. 

Archived