Coples & Davis

BlakeSpenceBlockedPunt

Weaknesses

Davis needs to gather better when running down plays from the inside-out. He is so fast that he can overrun guys at times and fly off them as his momentum takes him outside on a tackle. Against one-cut runners at the NFL level, he could have a tough time gathering to make a secure tackle on the run. His athletic ability really doesn't translate to pass defense, where he can look awkward and out of place at times. He needs to learn to better diagnose plays because he could struggle against faster offenses.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2012/profiles/demario-davis?id=2533008

Seems like exactly what we are seeing.  I don't expect him to become some kind of great cover guy, but I would like him to clean up the tackling.  It didn't strike me as a problem last year, so hopefully it is temporary preseason thing.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Face it, Coples is an OLB, and that's not going to change any time soon.  With brand new systems in place, the coaches are using the preseason to get players up to speed for the regular season.  They are not going to waste this precious time to conduct an experiment or as some sort of deception tactic.  It would be a different story if there was an established system, coach, and players in place for multiple years.

With that being said, Coples is at his best with his hand in the dirt, so that's where I expect him to be much of the time.  Either way, this will be Coples' last year here.  He's a decent player, but his motor sucks.  I believe the new regime will be moving on when he becomes a FA after this season.

Davis doesn't have any motor issues, but his instincts aren't great.

Both players will be starters in 2015, but there is no guarantee either of them are here long term.  Davis has a better chance to stick around after this year because he'll still be on his rookie contract.

Here is the problem the way I see it, Coples isn't a great OLB, but he is likely better than what we have (especially with the injuries); while he is better at DE, he isn't close to the best DL we have.  We are stacked at DL, and not at OLB; this is why he was moved before; this is why AA was moved to CB.  He is in a bad place here.

I agree I like Davis as well. People look at those two penalties from Sat night and over react. The first should not have been a PI IMO , the second was a clear hold.  Davis has the leadership and ability to be a quality LB for us, unfortunately he's  weakest in the area where the Jets are notably weak - pass coverage from the Lb's . Get that pass rush going , get the safeties laying some wood on receivers and the coverage from those same Lb'ers starts looking more palatable. I trust Bowles/Rodgers  will have this defense playing very well when the bullets fly for real.

I watched it again last night. It was DEFINITELY PI.  The second was even worse because he didn't even turn his head.  I hope he gets it together, because he could be the weak link in our pass defense and teams will attack him with TEs all day long; especially on 3rd down. 

babin doesn't play the run at all, I don't know why you think that makes sense. If coples was going to play DL he'd probably need to come up 15-20 pounds, I think he went down to 275 when he moved to OLB

I may be wrong, but I thought that the strong side OLB predominately played the run--which is Pace, and he does it pretty well. I thought that Coples was moved to OLB to be our "pass rusher" which, in my opinion, Babin does better--albeit it's the only thing that Babin does. Babin is probably the best pure pass rushing OLB we have, so if that's the only thing that Coples can do from that position, we might as well put Babin there and Coples back on the line where he is more comfortable.

Coples is and has been playing out of position as he was asked I can't blame him. He should be dline.

Davis on the other hand is failing hard. He can't cover for sh*t despite his speed, and he is missing tackles left and right when he isn't getting caught out of position to make a play. We need lbs in a big way

Really surprised Coples is still at LBer.  Said himself the other day that he prefers D-line and that's where he has been at his best as a pro.  I'd rather he rotate in on the D-line and be somewhat effective as opposed to being a liability at times at LBer.

yeah that would be great except A$$;hole Rex made him lose a ton of weight to play totally out of position. It will take more than a year to gain back that weight and be effective on the DL. He was at his best as an interior lineman in college and that's where he should have stayed and bulked up as a pro. His frame could easily handle 300 + pounds . What probably made him a good interior ;lineman was his hand work inside. I think he came into the NFL in the 285 to 290 range could have easily grown into a damn good interior lineman. Probably came into camp at too light a weight to play on the line so hes going to have to impress or probably not be on this team next year. Rex might have succeeded in ruining this kids career and since he loves him so much maybe he will trade us a number 3 for him next year because he is that type of idiot

Todd Bowles on Demario Davis’ overall play this last month…

I think his play has been good. I thought his placement and where he lined up at to cover the two guys that he tried to cover and getting the penalties, he put himself in a bad position from the start. He didn’t have a chance, so he has to be smarter than that. Overall, I’m pleased with his play. I’d like him to wrap up when he tackles instead of just taking the shot and trying to get the kill-shot. 

I may be wrong, but I thought that the strong side OLB predominately played the run--which is Pace, and he does it pretty well. I thought that Coples was moved to OLB to be our "pass rusher" which, in my opinion, Babin does better--albeit it's the only thing that Babin does. Babin is probably the best pure pass rushing OLB we have, so if that's the only thing that Coples can do from that position, we might as well put Babin there and Coples back on the line where he is more comfortable.

coples is an underrated OLB, he's a 3 down player. a guy like babin is a pass rusher you sub in on passing downs only

Tackling in general in the NFL is piss poor. No where near as good as it was when I was younger watching this game. Way to many guys tackle by throwing their body around without wrapping up.

i think the issue is the CBA contract & rules regarding full pad practices. It's simple, you get better by doing things in practice but 80% of camp is half speed without takedowns. That's why the LBs aren't up to speed with their angles ect. I think Davis will be fine, watch some other preseason games. Tackling in the NFL is fair at best.

Archived