Howard Stern Show: The Final Days

drdetroit

Now that sternfannetwork is shut down I just wanted to start a thread to discuss the end of the Stern show.  Most Jet fans are from NY/Long Island  and since he's been on Sirius he has a more global reach so there's a big intersection of jet fans and Stern fans

Didn't know the show was terminating.   I lost touch once Howard left terrestrial radio.  

Before that, I started listening to the show when he signed on at WNBC in the 1982.  Over all those years, don't think I ever missed a show (yeah, I would tape shows or have friends do it when I was on vacation, etc.).   It provided so many laughs over the years.

Some of my favorite moments:

Pat Cooper Family

Sam Kinison "bad Chinese food" and fight with Jessica Hahn

The Jackie laugh SFX played anytime Robin reported on a horrific crime or world event

All Gilbert appearances

Extended treatment of Marge Schott racism

Howard lambasting Imus

Any time Gary was ripped apart or "fired" by Howard

Fred "Cookie Puss" day

The what seemed like a month when they went through the infamous Ben Stern tapes, which may be the greatest radio comedy shows ever

There are so many, but those are a few.

Didn't know the show was terminating.   I lost touch once Howard left terrestrial radio.  

Before that, I started listening to the show when he signed on at WNBC in the 1982.  Over all those years, don't think I ever missed a show.   It provided so many laughs over the years.

Some of my favorite moments:

Pat Cooper Family

Sam Kinison "bad Chinese food" and fight with Jessica Hahn

The Jackie laugh SFX played anytime Robin reported on a horrific crime or world event

All Gilbert appearances

Extended treatment of Marge Schott racism

Howard lambasting Imus

Any time Gary was ripped apart or "fired" by Howard

Fred "Cookie Puss" day

The what seemed like a month when they went through the infamous Ben Stern tapes, which may be the greatest radio comedy shows ever

There are so many, but those are a few.

Oh man that brings back memories, 

Remember when he was on NBC and he had that very short-lived Saturday morning syndicated show? My Dad and I would listen while we ran errands. We'd be crying we were laughing so hard. 

Oh man that brings back memories, 

Remember when he was on NBC and he had that very short-lived Saturday morning syndicated show? My Dad and I would listen while we ran errands. We'd be crying we were laughing so hard. 

Yeah, you're bringing back that memory.  Kleck, as someone who listened back then, you can attest to there was nothing like Howard on the radio.  Some will point to Imus. But he was lame in comparison.

I would hate to get to my office in the morning because I couldn't listen to the rest of the show.  There were many times when I'd stay in my car (and be late for work) just to listen to a bit.

Its not set in stone he's retirin from radio but the writing is on the wall.  His show is on tear down mode all the original programming in H101 is gone with a couple minor exceptions and Howard barely does his own show anymore.  Sternfannetwork is gone with no explanation, Sirius is no longer mentioned on his site and his contract is up in December plus a couple of the major YouTube channels have been taken down so it looks like they're consolidating content to monetize it on Dvd and/or podcast

I enjoy his interviews so I hope he continues in a medium with out boundaries. 

The Wack Pack can disappear IMHO.

Isn't there a dude posting on here as "High PItched Eric"?   I had to kick the real one and Angry Black out of an invite only party one time.  Their "needless harangue" was pretty comical especially with the disparate voices.

Its not set in stone he's retirin from radio but the writing is on the wall.  His show is on tear down mode all the original programming in H101 is gone with a couple minor exceptions and Howard barely does his own show anymore.

On rare occasion, I watch a few minutes of a show on YouTube.   It seems like the show has become a caricature of itself.  Too many hangers on have been allowed to contribute resulting in its watering down of content.

Plus, society has changed so much since the 1980s/90s.  What was shocking back then, we see almost every day on network or cable TV.  It's time for Howard to retire to the radio gods HOF.

Isn't there a dude posting on here as "High PItched Eric"?   I had to kick the real one and Angry Black out of an invite only party one time.  Their "needless harangue" was pretty comical especially with the disparate voices.

High Pitch used to work at the Hard Rock Cafe in Yankee stadium he's now a full time welfare whore

Couple more classics:

Elephant Boy "California Girl" song and Gary finding out EB had posted an ad seeking a gay experience

Kenneth Keith "smoke out of his eyes"

Billy West's various voices and impersonations

Okay, here's a trivia question which tells you if you're a Howard junkie:

What relevance does chondromalacia of the knee have to the show?

I'm heading out soon.  So in case anyone wanted to know the answer to the "chondromalacia of the knee" question, here it is.  It was Alison's excuse for not allowing Howard to do her from behind.  Supposedly, her doctor said she had that knee condition.

While we're talking about wives, anyone remember how Jackie's wife Nancy woke/treated him on the morning of his birthday?  Before Jackie got up at 4AM, Nancy gave him a b/j, then made him a cheese omelet.  This drove Howard crazy as Alison never did any of that stuff.  LOL!

On rare occasion, I watch a few minutes of a show on YouTube.   It seems like the show has become a caricature of itself.  Too many hangers on have been allowed to contribute resulting in its watering down of content.

Plus, society has changed so much since the 1980s/90s.  What was shocking back then, we see almost every day on network or cable TV.  It's time for Howard to retire to the radio gods HOF.

The issue w/Stern last several years is he's become obsessed with being a part of the Hollywood A-list crowd.  AGT is more of a symptom than a cause of the show becoming a glorified Entertainment Tonight.  Losing Artie also hurt because he was really the only regular guy's guy on the show who was funny on air.

We'll see what happens.  Stern was banking on doing AGT and other similar shows full-time after leaving Sirius now he no longer has that option since NBC disinvited him.  I'm sure he's desperate to land a gig on HBO or Showtime so he can stay relevant.  He ain't getting invited to Kimmel's pool parties in Malibu 3 years from now if he's not on the radio or tv.

Couple more classics:

Elephant Boy "California Girl" song and Gary finding out EB had posted an ad seeking a gay experience

Kenneth Keith "smoke out of his eyes"

Billy West's various voices and impersonations

Okay, here's a trivia question which tells you if you're a Howard junkie:

What relevance does chondromalacia of the knee have to the show?

The football pool with Artie and the Wack Pack - I can listen to that over and over again it never gets old. 

95% of wack pack hijinx involving Eric The Actor, Beetlejuice, Jeff the Drunk (who is actually developing a large following on Periscope) is gold

Hateman calling Mike Francesa and pulverizing him.

Stern's show was never syndicated in my area (we basically had Mancow out of Chicago and Bob & Tom out of Indianapolis as our morning radio choices here), but I loved that E! channel show he used to have in the '90s and early 2000s. Never missed an episode if I could help it. 

Stern's show was never syndicated in my area (we basically had Mancow out of Chicago and Bob & Tom out of Indianapolis as our morning radio choices here), but I loved that E! channel show he used to have in the '90s and early 2000s. Never missed an episode if I could help it. 

I feel sorry for you Chicago area guys had to deal with that lame rip off artist mancow during the 90's.  Is he on anywhere in Chicago anymore he used to always brag about owning that city I think he does the overnight for an AM network in Pierre, South Dakota now.

I feel sorry for you Chicago area guys had to deal with that lame rip off artist mancow during the 90's.  Is he on anywhere in Chicago anymore he used to always brag about owning that city I think he does the overnight for an AM network in Pierre, South Dakota now.

I think he bounced around for a while--I'm not sure exactly where since I'm not really a fan or anything. I believe he's back on in Chicago as of fairly recently, though. He's got another morning show I think; I haven't listened to it so I'm not sure if it's at all like the stuff he used to do. 

I think he bounced around for a while--I'm not sure exactly where since I'm not really a fan or anything. I believe he's back on in Chicago as of fairly recently, though. He's got another morning show I think; I haven't listened to it so I'm not sure if it's at all like the stuff he used to do. 

If the biggest building in your town is a meth lab ... YOUR IN MANCOW COUNTRY!!!!!!

He did an interview with Gilbert and Magic Johnson at the same time that is still the funniest radio bit I've ever heard.

"Gilbert, what do you think of Magic?"

"I feel like I should give him my lunch money."

What about the time Gilbert was in studio and Howard found out he went to Amy Heckerling's house for dinner?  They called Amy and her German housekeeper related all these stories about Gilbert verbally abusing her.  This went on for days. lol

What about the time Gilbert was in studio and Howard found out he went to Amy Heckerling's house for dinner?  They called Amy and her German housekeeper related all these stories about Gilbert verbally abusing her.  This went on for days. lol

Oh yeah she was a holocaust survivor and Gilbert kept making fun of her and wondering what the nazis did wrong to let her go.  Insane stuff considering Gilbert is Jewish.

Anybody remember that tv show he had on channel 9 in the late 80's? he was wearing assless chaps and dancing to right said fred's I'm too sexy'' but changed the lyrics to ''Im too sexy for my ass cheeks''  another skit on there was David Dinkens as the mayor with the x ray eye when the former mayor had pink eye. lol I stopped listening to him long ago.

Anybody remember that tv show he had on channel 9 in the late 80's? he was wearing assless chaps and dancing to right said fred's I'm too sexy'' but changed the lyrics to ''Im too sexy for my ass cheeks''  another skit on there was David Dinkens as the mayor with the x ray eye when the former mayor had pink eye. lol I stopped listening to him long ago.

The channel 9 show was the first time I ever saw him.  It's wierd to think the man who barely does 2 shows a week now if that used to do Monday thru Friday 6-11am plus a tv show.

Absolutely.  That show was as low budget as you could get.  But always had some laughs and insane moments.  Plus, back then, it was really the only time we could see Howard, Robin, Fred, Jackie and the rest on TV.

How about that "rally" they had in NYC sometime during the 80s.  I can't remember the reason for it.  I was there and recall some whack packer being led on stage on a leash by his girlfriend, who was some sort of dominatrix.  Next thing you know, she slides what had to be an 8 inch stiletto heel up the guy's butt.  Howard and the place went insane.

I listen to Howard religiously.   from 88 to present.  Lost him when I moved to NC from 96 to about 2005.  Now on Sirius, I stream him from my desk.

I was listening live on the cross Bronx exp when Baba Booey was made by Gary's goof.

Gilbert, Sam, Pat Cooper all were hilarious.  

His Ted Kennedy was fantastic..era. 

I listen to Howard religiously.   from 88 to present.  Lost him when I moved to NC from 96 to about 2005.  Now on Sirius, I stream him from my desk.

I was listening live on the cross Bronx exp when Baba Booey was made by Gary's goof.

Gilbert, Sam, Pat Cooper all were hilarious.  

His Ted Kennedy was fantastic..era. 

I was listening, too.  The best part was that Howard missed it at first.  Then, after being alerted by Jackie, John or someone else, Howard asked Gary a few times more what he said.  On cue, Gary just keep saying Baba Booey. lol

I was listening, too.  The best part was that Howard missed it at first.  Then, after being alerted by Jackie, John or someone else, Howard asked Gary a few times more what he said.  On cue, Gary just keep saying Baba Booey. lol

I remember listening and thinking.  Who the FUKK is baba Booey... Isn't it baba looey????   

well. Gary has the last laugh.  he makes upwards of 4 mil a year and has for many years.  Not bad for a kid from Uniondale. 

hes is a huge JETS fan too. 

last week eek they played the 25 yr tribute to Baba Booey.  WAS GREAT. 

I remember listening and thinking.  Who the FUKK is baba Booey... Isn't it baba looey????   

well. Gary has the last laugh.  he makes upwards of 4 mil a year and has for many years.  Not bad for a kid from Uniondale. 

$4 mil??!!   Geez, I remember when Gary had to beg Tom for a hundred buck raise.

Tell me you didn't laugh your ass off anytime Jackie would bait Howard into goofing on Gary's teeth.  Next thing you know, they spent an hour on it with Gary threatening to get Jackie back.

Speaking of Jackie, anyone remember his annual summer party?   The best was the year Howard actually went and was stunned that beers/wine were in "garbage cans".  Also Jackie's preoccupation with the infamous "jetty". 

Gary is a met, jet, Knicks and Rangers fan.  Howard doesn't care about sports but proclaimed himself a Giants fan when the jets signed Vick.

Archived