Bills release Fred Jackson

AFJF

Rex had nothing to do with this.  It was Whaley's call

Keep telling yourself that.  Rex has wanted Jackson gone since June, and now that the blowback has hit, he's magically skating past all criticism.  Rex doing Rex. 

Rex is willing to take full credit for bringing in Shady, Tyrod Taylor, Incognito, Harvin, and IK Enemkpali....yet had nothing to do with cutting Jackson?  Riiiiight.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rex had nothing to do with this.  It was Whaley's call

You are missing the point.  Rex and his GM are already on different pages.  Man, that was quick.  With the Bills, it might be a fast nose dive.  Good luck.  You're going to need it.  All the signs are there and it doesn't bode well.  

Woody's ego has nothing to do with this.  The reporting structure didn't fail with anyone before because it wasn't laid out that way.  It's Woody's reaction to having a situation in which a HC or GM can try to point the finger at each other if they fail.  It means he gets to  hear their unfiltered thoughts on the team.  Brought about when the last HC tried blaming the GM for not bringing in any talented players but didn't speak up at the time.  Several owners are beginning to take this approach.

WHat are you talking about.?  Of course the jets did this before.  Both Idzick and Rex reported to Woody.  That was a disaster.

You are missing the point.  Rex and his GM are already on different pages.  Man, that was quick.  With the Bills, it might be a fast nose dive.  Good luck.  You're going to need it.  All the signs are there and it doesn't bode well.  

Rex thinks of himself as Chip Kelly, but lacks Kelly's ability to evaluate talent.  Which is why the Bills got hosed in the Shady deal. 

Keep telling yourself that.  Rex has wanted Jackson gone since June, and now that the blowback has hit, he's magically skating past all criticism.  Rex doing Rex. 

Rex is willing to take full credit for bringing in Shady, Tyrod Taylor, Incognito, Harvin, and IK Enemkpali....yet had nothing to do with cutting Jackson?  Riiiiight.

exactly.  Its amazing that the Bills FO is turning into a carbon copy of the Jets mess the past 2 years.  Rex definitely wanted to cut Jackson a couple of months ago, but the owner pushed back (you know... we want these players to retire as Bills... blah blah blah).  Now that Whaley cut Jackson, Rex lying through his teeth that he had no input so that Whaley, and not Rex, looks like the bad guy.  Oh baby... get out the popcorn.  The bullspit in Buffalo has begun.

There hasn't been any rumblings yet about  dissension between Whaley and Rex.  I think this is another wait and see process.

There hasn't been any rumblings yet about  dissension between Whaley and Rex.  I think this is another wait and see process.

Oh, so a Deadspin article about Whaley going "rogue" and Rex basically being silent on the situation isn't a "rumble"?  lol.  Whaley is already the fall guy if this season fails.  Leaving Rex in full control and ownership backing him 100 %.

Oh, so a Deadspin article about Whaley going "rogue" and Rex basically being silent on the situation isn't a "rumble"?  lol.  Whaley is already the fall guy if this season fails.  Leaving Rex in full control and ownership backing him 100 %.

I don't think so.  Rex will take responsibility if IK, Harvin, Incognito or Taylor fails.  I think these were Ryan's choices and Whaley just gave Rex the go ahead.  Jackson may have been a trade off for some off for one or more of these players.  Although the talk here is that it was Whaley's choice,  it wouldn't surprise me to learn that others (including Rex) were in agreement.  The only person who was probably surprised, not behind the decision but signed off, was Pegula.  My previous comments about who released is strictly on what was read.

I don't think so.  Rex will take responsibility if IK, Harvin, Incognito or Taylor fails.  I think these were Ryan's choices and Whaley just gave Rex the go ahead.  Jackson may have been a trade off for some off for one or more of these players.  Although the talk here is that it was Whaley's choice,  it wouldn't surprise me to learn that others (including Rex) were in agreement.  The only person who was probably surprised, not behind the decision but signed off, was Pegula.  My previous comments about who released is strictly on what was read.

No, he won't.

WHat are you talking about.?  Of course the jets did this before.  Both Idzick and Rex reported to Woody.  That was a disaster.

After they were fired the team announced that the reporting structure of the front office was going to be changed in such a way that the HC and GM would report to the owner individually.  That is brand new.  It did not happen before.

After they were fired the team announced that the reporting structure of the front office was going to be changed in such a way that the HC and GM would report to the owner individually.  That is brand new.  It did not happen before.

are you trying to say that Rex reported to Idzick?  If so, I do believe that is incorrect.  

I almost fell out of my chair when I read this part:

Sound familiar folks?  You'd think the Bills would have learned from the Jets mistake in not having the HC and GM on the same page...  but no.  The Bills are destined for front office disharmony just like we saw here the last 2 years.  Unbelievably stupid. 

I'll credit Rex with this much... he learned here with the Jets that manipulating an owner is far better than manipulating a GM. After all, the owner's job isn't on the line, so he has no real stake in contesting the stupid decision you make, as long as money is piling up.

are you trying to say that Rex reported to Idzick?  If so, I do believe that is incorrect.  

They both talked to Woody on a regular basis.  Kind of the way every GM and HC talk to their team owner with every other team in the NFL.  

Don't think we're looking at anything different here.  

What I'm saying is that the Jets announced to their fans that the coach and GM would now report separately to the owner which means it wasn't happening before or no need to make the change.  With that being the case, logic would tell you that Rex reported to Idzik, but for all I know it could have been anyone.  All we know is that they've said it's been changed and I'd think it was because they didn't like the way it was before.  Multiple reports after the season said that Rex offered no input on players being brought in/drafted so Woody didn't allow him to use lack of talent as an excuse and felt Rex should have spoken up sooner if that had been the case.

What I'm saying is that the Jets announced to their fans that the coach and GM would now report separately to the owner which means it wasn't happening before or no need to make the change.  With that being the case, logic would tell you that Rex reported to Idzik, but for all I know it could have been anyone.  All we know is that they've said it's been changed and I'd think it was because they didn't like the way it was before.  Multiple reports after the season said that Rex offered no input on players being brought in/drafted so Woody didn't allow him to use lack of talent as an excuse and felt Rex should have spoken up sooner if that had been the case.

thanks.  whatever it was it sucked badly.  Hope it works out better this time.  We all know that it won't work for long in Buffalo.  It has already begun to unravel.  Much earlier than I thought.  Freakin' Rex turns everything he touches into sh!t.

No, he won

Whaley said himself,  that it was his decision.  I don't agree that Rex knew or maybe even didn't mind but I think it was Whaley pushing for this release for months.  From what Jackson says,  Whaley wasn't honest with him.

Whaley said himself,  that it was his decision.  I don't agree that Rex knew or maybe even didn't mind but I think it was Whaley pushing for this release for months.  From what Jackson says,  Whaley wasn't honest with him.

Reminds me of the time that Sanchez was put into that preseason game late and got hurt, then he stormed out of the locker room to yell at......Idzik.  Never Rex's fault.

The guy looked great in that pre-season game against the Steelers. Still has some juice. Bear in mind that his career didn't really take off until he was old(ish) so he doesn't have a ton of mileage. Best of all, he played under Gailey.

Only question is whether he would want to move down here. He is settled upstate.

Kinda like Marshawn Lynch who the Bills also let get away...  Seattle must be loving it. 

6 pages about an easily replaced running back that will be forgotten a month or two after he is done playing?  We are talking about a CFL castoff here. Sheeeesh.

What is this TwoBillsDrive all of a sudden? 

Much like all of Rex's tenure in NYC, it wasn't the event itself that was a big deal.  It was the HOW of it all.  We've been saying for months Rex would ruin the Bills.  This is just one additional piece of evidence that that is indeed what is about to happen.

I almost fell out of my chair when I read this part:

Sound familiar folks?  You'd think the Bills would have learned from the Jets mistake in not having the HC and GM on the same page...  but no.  The Bills are destined for front office disharmony just like we saw here the last 2 years.  Unbelievably stupid. 

Yeah you can't make this stuff up.  Great way to show confidence in the GM....   Plus it is not like they hired Jim Harbaugh or somebody; Rex Ryan dealing directly with ownship?  Are they serious?  Stupid doesn't begin to describe this.  Can't wait to read about all those articles on Buffalo Bills Circus.  If this was the Jets it would be talked about on every sports show. 

Archived