PFF odds and ends

AFJF

PFF player grades through the first three pre-season games.

OFFENSE:

Players with overall positive grades (best to worst):

B. Marshall, Ivory, Colon, Ijalana, C. Brown, Maneri, B. Powell

Players with overall negative grades ("best" to worst).

W. Powell, Dozier, Winters, Shaq Evans, J. Brewer, D. Freeman, Decker, J. Harrison, Enunwa, D. Richardson, Brick, Cumberland, K. Davis, Qvale, Petty

Positive Pass Block Ratings:

C. Brown, Aboushi, Colon

Negative Pass Block Ratings:

Mangold, Stacy, Qvale, Carpenter

Positive Run Block Ratings:

Carpenter, Mangold, Ijalana

Negative Run Block Ratings:

Freeman, Aboushi, K. Davis, Decker, Brick, Breno, Winters, J. Harrison, J. Brewer, Cumberland

DEFENSE:

Overall positive grades:

Rontez MIles, Leger, M. Williams, L. Williams, S. Bowen, J. Mays, Mo Wilk, D. Harrison, Sheldon, Jarrett, Deion Barnes

Overall negative grades:

Pace, McDougle, K. Lewis, Taiwan Jones, Dar Walls, Revis, E. Henderson, Arenas, Gilchrist, Da. Phillips, Demario Davis, Eskridge, Jordan Williams, Mauldin, Lattimore, Davon Walls

Positive Run Defense Grades:

Bowen, R. Miles, D. Barnes, L. Williams, Mo Wilk, Demario Davis

Negative Run Defense Grades:

Reilly, D. Simon, Eskridge, Dar Walls, Arenas, Erin Henderson, Lattimore, Jor Williams, Mauldin, Dav. Walls

Positive Pass Coverage Grades:

Rontez Miles, Joe Mays, Marcus Williams

Negative Pass Coverage Grades:

K. Lewis, Revis, Eskridge, Phillips, Lattimore, D. Davis,

Positive Pass Rush Grades:

Douzable, Sheldon, Reilly, Marcus Williams

Negative Pass Rush Grades:

Pace, Deion Barnes, Jordan Williams

Coples was just average after that busted play?  I would have expected him to grade negatively for coverage.

And Petty graded out the worst?   Interesting.

At least Fitz was average.  haha 

Yeah, guys can have plenty of great or terrible plays and still grade out otherwise.  They just grade one play at a time and total score is overall grade.  A DB can get three INT's in a game and not "appear" to get beat all day but if All-22 shows him losing his man in coverage regularly but just not being targeted, he'll finish with a negative grade which will seem confusing.

It sure as hell isn't gospel, but a nice little guide IMO.

Yeah, guys can have plenty of great or terrible plays and still grade out otherwise.  They just grade one play at a time and total score is overall grade.  A DB can get three INT's in a game and not "appear" to get beat all day but if All-22 shows him losing his man in coverage regularly but just not being targeted, he'll finish with a negative grade which will seem confusing.

It sure as hell isn't gospel, but a nice little guide IMO.

It's all very confusing.  I find it interesting but put very little stock into these types of exercises. 

Snaps are just far too limited in preseason to worry about this, but I suppose it's nice to see Colon in the positive for a change. I guess the competition and resulting "most brutal camp in years" had it's desired impact on Willie guaranteed-holding-in-the-red-zone Colon. That and I enjoy Marcus Williams getting some recognition. Oh and Mevis...slouch.

I think the Jets should hire Idzik on a life time worth of 1 year deals just so we have a yearly scapegoat to fire and fly signs over practice about.

I agree; for the older fans, it is like chanting 'joe must go'.  Always thought they should hire a joe, just to take fall.  Give the fans something to get behind.

'Herm must go' didn't sound nearly as nice...

It's all very confusing.  I find it interesting but put very little stock into these types of exercises. 

I view it as a useful tool.  I mentioned during the off-season that I watched a few of the new acquisitions, formed my own opinion and then checked PFF grades and found that when I thought a guy was terrible, his PFF grade was poor and same for when I thought a player performed well, grade was positive. 

FTR, Coples scores a minus 0.9 which puts him .2 away from a below average grade.

Snaps are just far too limited in preseason to worry about this, but I suppose it's nice to see Colon in the positive for a change. I guess the competition and resulting "most brutal camp in years" had it's desired impact on Willie guaranteed-holding-in-the-red-zone Colon. That and I enjoy Marcus Williams getting some recognition. Oh and Mevis...slouch.

Did Willie say it's been the most brutal camp in years?  

Marcus Williams can flat out play.  Not sure why this is a question anymore. 

I agree; for the older fans, it is like chanting 'joe must go'.  Always thought they should hire a joe, just to take fall.  Give the fans something to get behind.

Fire Idzik sounds like the song of an angel.

I view it as a useful tool.  I mentioned during the off-season that I watched a few of the new acquisitions, formed my own opinion and then checked PFF grades and found that when I thought a guy was terrible, his PFF grade was poor and same for when I thought a player performed well, grade was positive. 

Fair.  I appreciate that you do this stuff because I'm too lazy to do it and I get to read your findings.  So thanks!  

Fire Idzik sounds like the song of an angel.

Fair.  I appreciate that you do this stuff because I'm too lazy to do it and I get to read your findings.  So thanks!  

No sweat

Not verbatim, but he explicitly said it was the most difficult camp for him in years; whether that's because of Bowles or the fact he took it upon himself to put in the work I'm not sure, but good to see regardless. 

And the kid can definitely ball, would like to see what he can do as the 4th or 5th CB. 

'Herm's a Worm!'

I think the Jets should hire Idzik on a life time worth of 1 year deals just so we have a yearly scapegoat to fire and fly signs over practice about.

Sounds like a plan

They could also, instead of giving out a game ball have the outstanding player smack Geno in the face

I dont know what any of this means or that we should be concerned considering its preseason but what does it mean if you're not even on the list and you played plenty of snaps in the preseason? 

It means PFF is a ******* Joke that's what it means. Did they just over look how badly D-brick pass protected in preseason ? He is after all one our more high profile players on offense. Also how do they give Petty what amounts too a terrible rating ? Rontez the great

It means PFF is a ******* Joke that's what it means. Did they just over look how badly D-brick pass protected in preseason ? He is after all one our more high profile players on offense. Also how do they give Petty what amounts too a terrible rating ? Rontez the great

It confusing, especially on such a small sample size but they did have Brick on the overall negative grade and the run block negative grade.

Petty grading out the worst is interesting...wonder what they saw that he didnt and we didnt as well.

I think PFF is close to useless maybe outside of OL, but even then the methodology is very very suspect. It has become quite common to quote PFF grades as if they are gospel on how a player is doing. Problem is that they do not know the scheme, not what the player was asked to do on a play, nor the quality of the player they are matched against. And that is huge. One or two big negatives in the PFF rating on a player that did the right thing can give him a big negative rating. It is too volatile. Way too often their "grades" disagree with what a coach is seeing and they are looking at every play as well but with the scheme and assignment in mind. Since they do everyone there is a normalization element to their ratings, but really they are not even useful until way into a season. And in my view utterly useless in preseason when veterans are mostly trying not to get hurt.

Look at Enunwa. I can almost guarantee that the person watching his film has absolutely no idea what he us supposed to be doing on a play, especially since the HB role is very rare in NFL offenses.

Petty's grade makes no sense from simple observation unless his first game was so hugely negative that even good games cant let him escape.

Appreciate the posting and it is interesting from an intellectual curiosity standpoint, but I think PFF rankings are less useful than QB rating and QB rating is really pretty useless as it really does not measure what makes a QB succesful. 

Rant not directed at you, just a reaction to the ridiculous PFF hype I see and how they are used as accurate and meaningful assessments of players.

I think PFF is close to useless maybe outside of OL, but even then the methodology is very very suspect. It has become quite common to quote PFF grades as if they are gospel on how a player is doing. Problem is that they do not know the scheme, not what the player was asked to do on a play, nor the quality of the player they are matched against. And that is huge. One or two big negatives in the PFF rating on a player that did the right thing can give him a big negative rating. It is too volatile. Way too often their "grades" disagree with what a coach is seeing and they are looking at every play as well but with the scheme and assignment in mind. Since they do everyone there is a normalization element to their ratings, but really they are not even useful until way into a season. And in my view utterly useless in preseason when veterans are mostly trying not to get hurt.

Look at Enunwa. I can almost guarantee that the person watching his film has absolutely no idea what he us supposed to be doing on a play, especially since the HB role is very rare in NFL offenses.

Petty's grade makes no sense from simple observation unless his first game was so hugely negative that even good games cant let him escape.

Appreciate the posting and it is interesting from an intellectual curiosity standpoint, but I think PFF rankings are less useful than QB rating and QB rating is really pretty useless as it really does not measure what makes a QB succesful. 

Rant not directed at you, just a reaction to the ridiculous PFF hype I see and how they are used as accurate and meaningful assessments of players.

No offense taken, and I see where you're coming from which is why I always say it's a guide and not gospel.  I think a key element to looking at PFF's numbers is giving the player the benefit of the doubt for doing the right thing.

What I mean by that is, when I watch a game and single out one player, I simply look at what he did against the player he was matched up with or most closely to and I am assuming that the player was in the spot he was supposed to be in.  Now, of course players will sometimes blow an assignment, but I believe that in the NFL, if that's  happening too frequently, you're not going to be on the field anymore.

For example, when I watched a lot of Gilchrist film this off-season I would look at where he was if he wasn't  lined up man to man and see if it made sense for him to be where he was so as to not leave a part of the field uncovered.  Now, I obviously have no idea if he was in the spot he was supposed to be in, but if you can look at his position as compared to his ten other teammates and see that all areas of the field have a defender present, I'd assume he was doing the right thing even if the play didn't come his way and his position had little impact.

Again, it's not an exact science, but as I've said a million times before, there's not another site I know of that provides this type of breakdown, otherwise I'd use that.

I also posted an article during the off-season (I believe it was from SI) in which some NFL head coaches and coordinators said that PFF is doing a good enough  job that they will sometimes look at their numbers when evaluating players.

Sadly, I think a lot of the PFF backlash (not necessarily yours) comes from the fact that fans have spent so much time proclaiming one thing or another about a player after seeing a youtube clip and a sportscenter highlight that it aggravates them when a site comes along and breaks down every single one of their plays and the findings are the opposite of what the youtube video and SC highlight showed...therefore, they must have no idea what they're looking at.

Archived