Which Receivers Make the Final Cut?

JetBlue

Agree with you except I think Kerley is kept as the 7th if he's not traded

You are probably right. It would be great if we could get a 5th or 6th round pick for him.  I seriously doubt if we keep 7 receivers but you never know. 

I think people may end up a bit too high on Powell. Yes he got a TD, but I don't think he has been doing much on offense and the Giants are pretty bad on specials.  If they liked him as a punt returner they would not have been letting Decker back there. 

You noticed once Decker muffed that punt they got him the hell out of there.  You could be right about Powell but he has flashed in camp as a receiver as well. Still, I would not be surprised to see us pick up a punt returner type that is cut from another team.  The problem with Kerley is NO THREAT AT ALL as a punt returner. 

You noticed once Decker muffed that punt they got him the hell out of there.  You could be right about Powell but he has flashed in camp as a receiver as well. Still, I would not be surprised to see us pick up a punt returner type that is cut from another team.  The problem with Kerley is NO THREAT AT ALL as a punt returner. 

That's one way to look at it.  Another way is that Decker returned every punt in the first half and they went to Powell in the second half.  Kerley may not be a threat as a punt returner, but last year was his worst season returning by far and he averaged double what Powell did.  Powell may have earned another look.  I'm not talking about what I like or want, but what it seems they are doing. 

Still, I would not be surprised to see us pick up a punt returner type that is cut from another team.

This is a good point - worth remembering every year.  You have final cuts, and you think whoever (e.g. Powell) has made the team.  And then soon thereafter we're awarded a waiver claim (or however the process works) and we have a new punt returner, and Powell is gone.

I don't think Evans or Powell make it and I don't think they'll keep 7, especially considering they are going to carry 4 QBs for a bit and they're also going to carry a bunch of DBs.

Kerley's contract from the old regime doesn't make him cuttable really, but I think he's worth more on the team than off.

I think people may end up a bit too high on Powell. Yes he got a TD, but I don't think he has been doing much on offense and the Giants are pretty bad on specials.  If they liked him as a punt returner they would not have been letting Decker back there. 

The thing with Kerley is that he hardly ever returns a punt. Even with five yards of clear field ahead of him I have seen him fair catch, like it's automatic. At least Powell will try to get the ball upfield. Kerley's no great shakes. Buffalo will take him.

Sticking with my guess from previous thread: Marshall, Decker, Kerley, Smith and Enunwa are locks and Owusu and Evans are the last two in.  I could also see them swapping out either of the last two for injury/concussion concerns and keeping Posey or Powell, but I'll stick with the aforementioned seven. 

Sticking with my guess from previous thread: Marshall, Decker, Kerley, Smith and Enunwa are locks and Owusu and Evans are the last two in.  I could also see them swapping out either of the last two for injury/concussion concerns and keeping Posey or Powell, but I'll stick with the aforementioned seven. 

He was already cut.

Wasnt Posey cut yesterday?

And what's with everyone's gripe about Kerley? Why do someone many people see him getting cut?  It's strange.

That said, I think its the same and have no clue between Enuwa, Owusu, Powell and Evans.  I like Powell and Evans because their names are easier to say.

In no particular order....

Marshall
Decker
Smith
Owusu
Enunwa
Powell

Practice Squad: Evans

Surprise Cut: Kerley/IR (Concussion?)

It would take some real balls to do this but I would have no problem with it. 

I don't think we end up keeping Powell. Owusu has had a fine camp, concussion not withstanding, and provides some usefulness on offense; unlike Powell who is strictly a ST player. If we can stash Evans on PS fine, but I haven't seen enough to be upset if he were gone for good. Kerley stays b/c of his contract and his skill set theoretically should fit with Chan's offense, although we haven't seen it yet. 

Marshall
Decker
Smith
Owusu
Enunwa
Powell

Don't see them cutting Kerley.  Owusu with his concussion history might be hard to justify keeping over anyone, as much as like him

In today's press conference Bowles called Enunwa a "tweener" meaning he's big enough to be a hybrid between TE/WR.  I wonder how this might affect both Amaro and Cumberland?  Personally if we're talking about trading signed players, I'd push to keep Kerley and try and find a buyer for Cumberland.  Use Davis to block and get creative with Amaro and Enunwa...

I like your list. Same as mine. And nobody is giving us anything for Kerley.

With CAR losing Benjamin I wouldn't be shocked if we try to trade them Kerley for a pick

Them or Green Bay..... 

It's a bit of a sellers market right now with WRs, because of early injuries. I'd hope, whether it's Kerley or not, we can flip at least one of our backend WRs for a 6th or 7th rounder.

The OP is close.  Swap out Powell for Kerley, and you have a winner.

Marshall, Decker, Smith, Kerley, Owusu, Enunwa

Evans goes to the practice squad.

Yeah I don't really think they will cut Kerley because he is the most proven of the remaining receivers plus his contract but, I personally would be okay if they did.   I want to see more explosiveness on offense and I think once Smith gets on the field, we will be saying Kerley who?  Remember Marshall can play the slot as well.  

Marshall
Decker
Smith
Owusu
Enunwa
Powell

And I remember a few weeks back people getting tight because I called Kerley a JAG. Dude may not even make this football team lol. 

I know it was in camp but remember he beat Revis and Cromartie a few times on deep passes so he has flashed a bit as a receiver. Still, I am more interested in him as a punt returner; emphasis on RETURNER who can help improve our field position.  Kerley and Decker are strictly punt catchers.  Plus I don't what to risk Decker getting hurt catching punts.   Also I think the emergence of Enunwa, with his superior blocking skills has really impressed Bowles and co.  With Decker and Marshall being two very experienced and polished receivers, it is easier to add a young player like Enunwa to the mix.  

And I remember a few weeks back people getting tight because I called Kerley a JAG. Dude may not even make this football team lol. 

You know how we fall in love with our players sometimes.  Especially if they seem like nice guys and stay out of trouble.  Kerley is what he is; a decent slot receiver but his upside is pretty limited and he really brings nothing to table as a punt returner. 

Who do you see returning kicks in this scenerio?  Powell?  It has already been stated that Smith is a gunner on ST not a returner.... 

Yes, Powell... He had a 54-yard TD punt return against Giants, a 48-yard kick return against the Lions, and returned 4 kickoffs for 81 yards against the Falcons. Best choice on the roster right now imo.

Yes, Powell... He had a 54-yard TD punt return against Giants, a 48-yard kick return against the Lions, and returned 4 kickoffs for 81 yards against the Falcons. Best choice on the roster right now imo.

Ok, I had him down for punt returns but forget about his kick off returns.  

You know how we fall in love with our players sometimes.  Especially if they seem like nice guys and stay out of trouble.  Kerley is what he is; a decent slot receiver but his upside is pretty limited and he really brings nothing to table as a punt returner. 

I will say this, we may be able to trade Kerley to a team like Carolina. That team with their problems at receiver will probably take anything. Kerley could definitely start out there. 

Archived