Which Receivers Make the Final Cut?

JetBlue

Kerely should not be cut,  A trade as some suggest perhaps but even though he is not a game breaker he is still a good reliable player imo with good hands.  Keep him off the return teams but he still has value and more value than a scrub like Evans does.

My guess is it will be

Marshal

Decker

Kerley

Smith

Enunwa

Powell

In that exact order this season. I am really hoping that Kerley is going to step up and have a huge year. I think Devin Smith is going to be transitioned into the lineup slowly this year seeing how he missed so much of the off season.

My guess is it will be

Marshal

Decker

Kerley

Smith

Enunwa

Powell

In that exact order this season.

From everything we've heard so far, I think Enunwa is clearly ahead of Kerley in the coaches eyes.  And Smith will probably have a chance to play in front of Kerley as well.

I don't think Kerley *should* be cut, but I think he will be (or traded).  Which would leave Marshall/Decker/Enunwa/Smith/Owusu/Powell

In today's press conference Bowles called Enunwa a "tweener" meaning he's big enough to be a hybrid between TE/WR.  I wonder how this might affect both Amaro and Cumberland?  Personally if we're talking about trading signed players, I'd push to keep Kerley and try and find a buyer for Cumberland.  Use Davis to block and get creative with Amaro and Enunwa...

That'd be interesting if they moved Enunwa to TE and I'd agree with trying to trade Cumberland over Kerley. Kerley (concussion notwithstanding) is far more reliable than Cumberland.

I disagree with using Kellen Davis to block. From what I saw this preseason, he wasn't very good at it. Enunwa would probably be better in that regard, and let Amaro work on his pass-catching consistency.

Kerley's salary will make this decision. He's a decent Receiver who will not start and is terrible on specials . He was going to lose his Job to Smith in some capacity and when Smith got hurt he lost his job to Owusu ... If he makes this team it will surprise me. Trade or Cut use the money for any camp casualties that can fill holes more needed than WR

Kerley's salary will make this decision. He's a decent Receiver who will not start and is terrible on specials . He was going to lose his Job to Smith in some capacity and when Smith got hurt he lost his job to Owusu ... If he makes this team it will surprise me. Trade or Cut use the money for any camp casualties that can fill holes more needed than WR

The net effect of cutting or trading Kerley is a cap hit of 3.5 so there is no money to use on other players and really makes no sense to do so this year. 

He was already cut.

Wasnt Posey cut yesterday?

And what's with everyone's gripe about Kerley? Why do someone many people see him getting cut?  It's strange.

That said, I think its the same and have no clue between Enuwa, Owusu, Powell and Evans.  I like Powell and Evans because their names are easier to say.

Indeed he was, however I just copy and pasted my post from the previous thread on this topic and figured I didn't wanna change my prediction after only a handful of days, even though there were some cuts made. 

I know it was in camp but remember he beat Revis and Cromartie a few times on deep passes so he has flashed a bit as a receiver. Still, I am more interested in him as a punt returner; emphasis on RETURNER who can help improve our field position.  Kerley and Decker are strictly punt catchers.  Plus I don't what to risk Decker getting hurt catching punts.   Also I think the emergence of Enunwa, with his superior blocking skills has really impressed Bowles and co.  With Decker and Marshall being two very experienced and polished receivers, it is easier to add a young player like Enunwa to the mix.  

Powell returned punts last year and averaged 4 yards per.  Kerley averaged 8.  You are letting a couple of long returns during preseason games with guys that don't work together influence you too much.  

Powell returned punts last year and averaged 4 yards per.  Kerley averaged 8.  You are letting a couple of long returns during preseason games with guys that don't work together influence you too much.  

No, I am letting my eyes tell me that Powell has more talent returning punts and appears to be getting better. I want the chance for a big play and not some dude who is no threat to do anything but fall down.

Tonight is a big night for Owusu, Powell and Evans.  I am hoping each of them have a great game and make really difficult for the staff to make the final cuts.  Barring something unexpected, Enunwa looks like a lock to make the team.

Think they may use a separate spot for a return man

Marshall
Decker
Smith
Owusu
Enunwa
Kerley

Return Man: Powell

Practice Squad: Evans

Owusu looked excellent tonight and Powell showed a lot. No chance he makes it to the PS. I think they count Enunwa as HB, and Powell as ST/Returns/WR and we keep the list you have here.

Owusu looked excellent tonight and Powell showed a lot. No chance he makes it to the PS. I think they count Enunwa as HB, and Powell as ST/Returns/WR and we keep the list you have here.

You say that as if labeling Enunwa an H-back rather than a WR opens up a spot on the roster. It only does so if you keep one less TE, or don't keep a FB. I think the fact that Bohanon didn't play tonight indicates he's made the team. And it's hard to imagine the Jets only keeping two real TE's -- although I guess it's possible. My guess is that Owusu is a goner. He's a nice player, but would pretty much never see the field on offense, and Powell brings more to the table on specials.

yeah,my hats what I'm thinking. Powell becomes the ST guy and opens a spot so all can make it and Kerley doesn't have to be cut

You say that as if labeling Enunwa an H-back rather than a WR opens up a spot on the roster. It only does so if you keep one less TE, or don't keep a FB. I think the fact that Bohanon didn't play tonight indicates he's made the team. And it's hard to imagine the Jets only keeping two real TE's -- although I guess it's possible. My guess is that Owusu is a goner. He's a nice player, but would pretty much never see the field on offense, and Powell brings more to the table on specials.

I think that is what they will do, 2 TEs and an HB. They had Amaro listed in the HB positition before he was done for the year. 

There's no way we're keeping more than two real TEs. We don't even have two real TEs. Debatable that we have one. We'll have to pick one up off waivers just to field two.

My guess is they keep Cumberland, and Davis, then cut Davis to bring in someone else.

I really like Owusu and Powell has done really well in the return game. some tough decisions for this franchise are coming up which is good, it means we actually have talent.

I really like Owusu too, but I don't think he would last a game returning kicks.

Thus we need to keep Powell who has shown marked improvement in his routes. Then we have the added bonus of him keeping FC Kerley away from punts.

Is Kerley's 3.5 dead money cap hit with trading for a 6th or 7th or cutting outright? 

Think he stays this year as the last receiver and the fall back PR. Next year he's gone unless he turns a corner. 

That cap hit was prior to June 1.  His cap hit to be traded is $2.4 million, but his post June 1 cut number is $1.6 million.  If anything, he will be cut outright.

If they are actually keeping the best players, maybe they should just keep Enunwa and one TE.  I have not seen anything out of Kellen Davis and Saxton seems like a practice squad player.

Agreed the strength is wide receivers -you can always use another lineman for blocking if you really wanted to-

There's no way we're keeping more than two real TEs. We don't even have two real TEs. Debatable that we have one. We'll have to pick one up off waivers just to field two.

My guess is they keep Cumberland, and Davis, then cut Davis to bring in someone else.

Yeah, I agree. My post wasn't meant to indicate that the TEs we keep would actually be the one's on the roster. I think they'll look for a TE on waivers. And keeping just Cumberland and one more plus Enunwa sounds like a decent way to go. Those who are predicting that may be right.

Archived