Petty

#bman

So what's the word on the Street regarding Petty. Does the staff like him the way they liked Pennington when he was first drafted? To me, he looks the part. In an ideal world he sits on the bench for a couple of years like Pennington did. Can he make all the throws like Geno? Can he develop into a #1 down the road?

So what's the word on the Street regarding Petty. Does the staff like him the way they liked Pennington when he was first drafted? To me, he looks the part. In an ideal world he sits on the bench for a couple of years like Pennington did. Can he make all the throws like Geno? Can he develop into a #1 down the road?

Thursday night is hopefully the last time you see Petty on the field until next August.   Hopefully he's the future, only time will tell.   

He's showing a lot of the signs of being a player.  He's got very good physical skills, and seems to take coaching well.

Next year should be time to see what he's got.  

He even seems to be making some reads at the line which I waited 5 or 6 years to see Sanchez do, and am still waiting for Geno to do.  I'm totally over Geno now that Fitz seems decent, and like everyone else, I want to see Petty sit on the bench this whole entire year.

Then I think they grab a guy in next year's draft high.  Cook, Hackenberg, Goff, and Jones all likely go top 10, but Jets could make a run to get one.  I can't see Jets going anther year with the The Amish Rifle, Geno, and Petty #3....

which 4 teams in the top ten would pass on need for a QB?  

He was hot garbage throughout all of college, outside of a few throws during the second preseason game and blind hope, I'm not sure he's shown anything where I'd be willing to say he's the future. Would love it if I'm wrong, I just don't see anything special out of the kid. 

62 TDs and 10 picks...Hot garbage is much to kind to describe the utter ineptitude.

He was hot garbage throughout all of college, outside of a few throws during the second preseason game and blind hope, I'm not sure he's shown anything where I'd be willing to say he's the future. Would love it if I'm wrong, I just don't see anything special out of the kid. 

You don't know what you are talking about.

which 4 teams in the top ten would pass on need for a QB?  

browns, texans, bears, rams, redskins, and bills...

If the Giants, Eagles, Cowboys, and/or 9ers seasons bottom out and they surprisingly land in the top 10, I wouldn't be shocked if they grabbed a QB either over need - 

He only played the first half most of his career though.  He would have thrown a lot more interceptions if he hadn't.

You're right he would have thrown more interceptions and a ton more TD's. If you want to assume that his INT's would increase you have to assume that his TD's would as well. Unfortunately, Baylor pulled him after a series or two in the Third quarter of most games and still lead the nation in total offense the last 2 years. If they had kept him and the other offensive starters in there for the full game there would have been a couple games where Baylor would have scored more than 100 points in regulation.

You're right he would have thrown more interceptions and a ton more TD's. If you want to assume that his INT's would increase you have to assume that his TD's would as well. Unfortunately, Baylor pulled him after a series or two in the Third quarter of most games and still lead the nation in total offense the last 2 years. If they had kept him and the other offensive starters in there for the full game there would have been a couple games where Baylor would have scored more than 100 points in regulation.

Yes, I know.  I was being facetious.

62 TDs and 10 picks...Hot garbage is much to kind to describe the utter ineptitude.

Did you by chance, happen to actually watch any of his games in college?  The kid was not good. 

You don't know what you are talking about.

You're right. I definitely don't watch more college ball than 99% of the posters on here and definitely didn't watch many of Petty's games...  He was playing in a no-read defense and made some absolutely horrendous decisions the last few years.  Obviously I would like him to develop, he certainly has the measurables, I just don't see it happening. The same way that I said Johnny Manziel was going to be the biggest bust of a QB and caught sh*t for it, I don't see Petty doing much either.  My apologies if that doesn't jive with the petty-is-our-savior agenda on here, that's just my observation. 

Did you by chance, happen to actually watch any of his games in college?  The kid was not good. 

You're right. I definitely don't watch more college ball than 99% of the posters on here and definitely didn't watch many of Petty's games...  He was playing in a no-read defense and made some absolutely horrendous decisions the last few years.  Obviously I would like him to develop, he certainly has the measurables, I just don't see it happening. The same way that I said Johnny Manziel was going to be the biggest bust of a QB and caught sh*t for it, I don't see Petty doing much either.  My apologies if that doesn't jive with the petty-is-our-savior agenda on here, that's just my observation. 

I don't know that Petty is the savior, and I was also one who knew Manzeil would suck. That said, Petty didn't suck in college by any stretch, and these guys play extremely different games. 

Not once did I proclaim that he was "the savior".  I watch plenty of college ball and even contributed to a thread the other day discussing possible QB's for us next year if Petty and Geno are a wash.  However, if you watched Bryce Petty in college and determined he was "hot garbage" then yes, you don't know what you're talking about.  Again, I'm not calling him the second coming, but there is plenty of reason to believe that this kid is gonna develop properly.  Personally, I haven't felt this excited about the future of a QB on our roster since Chad.  That being said, he needs to sit.  He isn't ready just yet.

Not once did I proclaim that he was "the savior".  I watch plenty of college ball and even contributed to a thread the other day discussing possible QB's for us next year if Petty and Geno are a wash.  However, if you watched Bryce Petty in college and determined he was "hot garbage" then yes, you don't know what you're talking about.  Again, I'm not calling him the second coming, but there is plenty of reason to believe that this kid is gonna develop properly.  Personally I haven't felt this excited about the future of a QB on our roster since Chad.  That being said, he needs to sit.  He isn't ready just yet.

I never said you did, it was a generic statement regarding those that did. And yes, Petty was terrible when he wasn't playing the Buffalos or Iowas of the league; did you watch his game against West Virginia when they jammed his receivers and took away his pre-snap reads? He looked like dog-sh*t. He had three games in a row where he completed less than 50% of his passes in a system designed to keep your completion percentage up. Even in his statstically elite games against TCU, there were decisions that had you shaking your head and wondering who the hell he was even throwing it to and others where he was 5+ yards off the mark, not to mention the two times he coughed the ball up in inopportune spots. 

Again, the kid has a lot to like, he can make all of the throws, seems to be a good character kid, but there's nothing in college or this preseason that makes me feel like he can be a legitimate franchise quarterback. And certainly nothing in the history of our team that suggests we can develop a prospect to be that. I hope like crazy that I'm mistaken, but I just don't really care for Petty. Now, I saw some improvements from preseason game 1 to 2 and then a regression in game 3, but hopefully with a full year of learning and holding a clipboard that can all change. 

Archived