Which NFL head coaches have had the worst QB's in history?

AFJF

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/unlucky-in-lovie-which-coach-has-had-the-worst-quarterbacks-in-history/?ex_cid=story-twitter

It’s fair to say the most important factor in an NFL coach’s success is the ability of his quarterback. It’s no coincidence this winter’s top candidate, Seahawks defensive coordinator Dan Quinn, was willing to pass on other opportunities once the Falcons job became available. The Falcons may have a bruised, top-heavy roster, but Matt Ryan is one of the 10 best quarterbacks in the league. Likewise, while Colts general manager Ryan Grigson has made plenty of major missteps during his time at the helm, inheriting the first overall pick in a draft with Andrew Luck in it covers up a lot of those mistakes.

This came up the other day when I was writing about Lovie Smith and the Buccaneers, since it’s apparently my turn to rep for Grantland’s endless love affair with Tampa Bay. I’m not sure how good Jameis Winston will be, but it occurred to me that the first overall selection in this year’s draft is very likely to be the best quarterback Smith has ever had. And in looking back at the Rex Grossmans and Josh McCowns, I started to wonder: Has Lovie Smith had the worst crop of quarterbacks of any head coach in league history?

Of course, there are a million ways to answer this question. As middling as Grossman and Kyle Orton were, they were a damn sight better than the Joey Harrington–Chris Redman–Byron Leftwich troika that Bobby Petrino had to endure during his 13-game run in Atlanta. Part of judging the worst here is average performance, but a lot of it boils down to longevity; it’s extremely impressive for a head coach to last 10 years with bad quarterbacks. There’s a quantitative process behind this, of course, but there’s also inevitably going to be some qualitative comparisons between coaches with bad quarterbacks in terms of intensity and longevity.

Feel free to skip the next section if you just want the answers. Let’s get to work.

Joe Robbins/Getty Images

The Method

To estimate the typical quarterback play each coach dealt with, I tracked every team since the AFL-NFL merger season of 1970. Our measure of quarterback play is adjusted net yards per attempt, which is a reasonably effective metric for the impossible task of capturing everything about quarterback play in one formula.1 This one is better weighted than passer rating and includes sack yardage.

To compare data across the drastically different passing eras of the last five decades, I expressed the numbers relative to the average adjusted net yards per attempt in the league each season. In 2014, that was 6.14 ANY/A. The Packers averaged 8.39 ANY/A and were a league-best 36.8 percent above average, while Blake Bortles led the Jaguars to a league-low 3.97 ANY/A, coming in 35.4 percent below league average. We’ll express these numbers as percentages relative to the mean from here on out.

Unfortunately, I don’t have game-by-game data linking each coach to the games in which he was running the team. That’s not a problem with full seasons, but during those years when a squad went through one or more coaches, there’s no easy method to assign the appropriate percentage of the performance to each coach. The simplest way was to assign a proportional amount of the overall seasonal performance to each coach and factor it in as a partial season. (Again, the best candidate for this is going to be someone who coaches for a long time with really bad quarterbacks.)

Finally, I looked exclusively at coaches who lasted 70 games or more. That’s five full seasons under the 14-game schedule, when teams seemed to be a little less aggressive about firing their head coaches, and it’s four-plus seasons under the 16-game calendar. If you make it that far with terrible quarterback play, you’re doing something right.

With those numbers in mind, let’s examine the 10 coaches who have been saddled with the worst quarterback play since the merger. Eight made it through two jobs, with a ninth set to start his second gig with another batch of dismal prospects. (You can probably guess who that is.) For each, I’ll include his run in the league and the primary quarterbacks he was cursed to work with. Sorry, Carolina. You’re up first.

The Candidates

10. Dom Capers: 15.4 percent ANY/A below league average
Teams: Carolina Panthers (1995-98), Houston Texans (2002-05)
Notable Quarterbacks: Kerry Collins, David Carr

Ah, the curse of expansion franchises! Capers spent his entire head-coaching career with two highly drafted young quarterbacks, neither of whom turned out to be very useful. Collins had a Pro Bowl run in his second season, but he was well below average in 1995 and 1997 thanks to a nasty interception habit. By the time Steve Beuerlein took over for a publicly shamed Collins in 1998, Capers was already on his way out the door. And with his second chance, Capers’s Texans simply failed to protect the first overall pick, with Carr leading the league in sacks taken during three of his four seasons.

9. Rich Kotite: 16.1 percent ANY/A below league average
Teams: Philadelphia Eagles (1991-94), New York Jets (1995-96)
Notable Quarterbacks: Randall Cunningham, Jim McMahon, Bubby Brister, Boomer Esiason, Neil O’Donnell, Frank Reich

It’s fair to say Kotite is one of the least-loved skippers in league history, in no small part thanks to his ill-conceived decision to coach teams with two of the league’s most pessimistic fan bases. It’s also fair to say Kotite didn’t get much help. His worst year came in 1995, when Esiason and Brister were 38.8 percent below league average. That Jets team averaged a lowly 3.3 net yards per attempt, and the only squad within a half-yard per attempt was Kotite’s old charges in Philadelphia. After a free-agent move for O’Donnell failed to deliver, Kotite left New York and never returned to coaching at any level.

8. Bum Phillips: 17.0 percent ANY/A below league average
Teams: Houston Oilers (1975-80), New Orleans Saints (1981-85)
Primary Quarterbacks: Dan Pastorini, Kenny Stabler, Archie Manning, Richard Todd

Blame Phillips’s time with the Saints. His Oilers teams posted an average ANY/A that was 6.9 percent below league average. That and Earl Campbell were enough to win a whole bunch of football games — and Phillips went 55-35 in Houston before being fired after an 11-5 season in 1980. His Saints teams weren’t quite as impressive, going 27-42, and the passing game was at the root of those problems. During Phillips’s five years in New Orleans, the Saints posted five consecutive seasons with an ANY/A that was 20 percent worse than league average.

Thearon W. Henderson/Getty Images

7. Romeo Crennel: 19.1 percent ANY/A below league average
Teams: Cleveland Browns (2005-08), Kansas City Chiefs (2011-12)
Notable Quarterbacks: Trent Dilfer, Charlie Frye, Derek Anderson, Brady Quinn, Matt Cassel

Crennel’s charges delivered exactly one impressive season, that miraculous 2007 Pro Bowl campaign from Anderson in Cleveland. Here are Anderson’s numbers from that year and over the remainder of his career:

Year Cmp Att Cmp% Yards Y/Att TD INT
2007 298 527 56.5% 3,787 7.2 29 19
Elsewhere 527 1,010 52.2% 6,120 6.1 29 36

There’s more on those Anderson-Quinn Browns teams coming up.

6. Ray Perkins: 19.2 percent ANY/A below league average
Teams: New York Giants (1979-82), Tampa Bay Buccaneers (1987-90)
Notable Quarterbacks: Phil Simms, Vinny Testaverde

It’s disappointing when you take two longtime starters and fail to find success, but that’s exactly what happened to Perkins. He took over as Giants coach and drafted Simms in the first round in 1979, but Simms never really broke through during Perkins’s four-year run with the team. Simms produced two middling years before giving way to Scott Brunner during the 1981 playoffs and 1982 regular season.

Perkins then left for Alabama. (His replacement was Bill Parcells, who chose Brunner before eventually transitioning back to Simms.) When Perkins made his way back to the pros, he took over a Bucs team with the first overall pick in the upcoming draft and a failed quarterback of the future. He traded the quarterback to the 49ers and used the pick on Testaverde, who threw 35 interceptions in his first full season. The quarterback Perkins traded, of course, was Steve Young.

5. John McKay: 19.6 percent ANY/A below league average
Teams: Tampa Bay Buccaneers (1976-84)
Notable Quarterbacks: Steve Spurrier, Gary Huff, Doug Williams, Jack Thompson, Steve DeBerg

Behold, the worst passing season (per ANY/A) since the merger, courtesy of the 1977 Buccaneers:

Player Cmp Att Cmp% Yds TD INT Y/Att ANY/A Rating
Gary Huff 67 138 48.6% 889 3 13 6.4 1.40 37.4
Randy Hedberg 25 90 27.8% 244 0 10 2.7 -3.21 0.0
Jeb Blount 37 89 41.6% 522 0 7 5.9 0.40 28.4
Louis Carter 0 2 0.0% 0 0 0 0 0.00 39.6
Dave Green 2 2 100.0% 59 0 0 29.5 29.50 118.7
Totals 131 321 40.8% 1,714 3 30 5.3 -0.06 22.5

You’re not reading that incorrectly. The Buccaneers actually posted a negative ANY/A. They would have been better off immediately taking the snap and spiking the football across their 369 dropbacks. If you’re wondering why they didn’t give Dave Green more reps at quarterback, it’s because he was the punter. Randy Hedberg and Jeb Blount never played again, and Hedberg, as you can probably guess, has the worst passer rating in NFL history. This sorry group combined for an ANY/A that was 101.6 percent below league average in 1977.

4. Eric Mangini: 19.8 percent ANY/A below league average
Teams: New York Jets (2006-08), Cleveland Browns (2009-10)
Notable Quarterbacks: Chad Pennington, Brett Favre, Derek Anderson, Brady Quinn, Colt McCoy, Jake Delhomme

That’s not a bad group! It’s hard to really compare a lineup with a certain Hall of Famer (Favre) and an above-average passer when healthy (Pennington) to some of the other combinations on this list, but Mangini didn’t often see the best of his quarterbacks. Favre was acquired in early August, which was way too late for him to grow comfortable with a new playbook, and he was walking wounded by the end of his lone season in New York. Pennington broke down halfway through Mangini’s second season and gave way to inexperienced backup Kellen Clemens for eight starts. And whatever you want to say about that Cleveland combination is probably unsuitable for a Disney-owned website.

Streeter Lecka/Getty Images

3. Lovie Smith: 20.2 percent ANY/A below league average
Teams: Chicago Bears (2004-12), Tampa Bay Buccaneers (2014)
Notable Quarterbacks: Kyle Orton, Rex Grossman, Brian Griese, Jay Cutler, Josh McCown

Ah, the raison d’être comes up just short! A disastrously bad performance by McCown in 2014 (the Bucs were 21.2 percent below average) wasn’t enough to earn Smith a top-two spot. And, actually, that pales in comparison to the minus-45.4 percent mark posted by the Bears during his first season in charge, 2004, when Chad Hutchinson, Craig Krenzel, and Jonathan Quinn spent 13 games filling in for an injured Grossman.

During his 10 years as an NFL head coach, Smith has yet to have a single season when his quarterback posted an ANY/A better than league average. The only other coach to do that for as many seasons as Smith is Dick Jauron, who happened to be his predecessor in Chicago. Smith has had only one season when his quarterback managed to make it within 10 percent of league average — in 2006, when Grossman stayed healthy and the Bears made it to the Super Bowl. If Jameis Winston is just passable, it would be one of the best seasons a Lovie Smith quarterback has ever had.

2. Marion Campbell: 20.5 percent ANY/A below league average
Teams: Atlanta Falcons (1974-76), Philadelphia Eagles (1983-85), Atlanta Falcons (1987-89)
Notable Quarterbacks: Bob Lee, Steve Bartkowski, Ron Jaworski, Scott Campbell, Chris Miller

Marion Campbell held this title for the better part of the last 25 years, and he would still be no. 1 if we assigned him full credit for the 1974 Atlanta Falcons. The former Pro Bowler was serving as the team’s defensive coordinator before taking over as head coach for the final six games of the year for Norm Van Brocklin. Van Brocklin was a wonderful quarterback, but in his final season as a head coach, his passers put together one of the worst seasons in NFL history:

Player Cmp Att Cmp% Yards TD Int Int% Y/Att Rate
Bob Lee 78 172 45.3 852 3 14 8.1 5.0 32.4
Pat Sullivan 48 105 45.7 556 1 8 7.6 5.3 33.7
Kim McQuilken 34 79 43.0 373 0 9 11.4 4.7 18.0
Totals 160 356 44.9% 1,781 4 31 8.7% 5.0 27.8

The resulting ANY/A figure was 100.5 percent below league average, trailing the aforementioned 1977 Bucs as the second-worst ANY/A since the merger. And McQuilken, who started seven games, is probably the worst quarterback in league history to see multiple years of action. His career adjusted yards per attempt2 is minus-0.33. That’s not a typo. Not only is McQuilken the worst passer since the merger in just about every rate statistic (minimum 200 pass attempts), in many cases, it’s not even very close:

Stat Career Rank (of 359) Next-Worst
Yards/Attempt 4.2 359 4.7
INT% 10.7% 359 9.3%
TD-to-INT Ratio 4-to-29 (0.14) 359 2-to-13 (0.15)
Passer Rating 17.9 359 32.6
AY/A -0.33 359 1.823

1. Rex Ryan: 21.2 percent ANY/A below league average
Teams: New York Jets (2009-14)
Notable Quarterbacks: Mark Sanchez, Geno Smith

You already know all about everyone involved in this blurb. The best season a quarterback has had under Ryan was in 2010, when Sanchez improved to an ANY/A that was 5 percent below league average. Otherwise, his quarterbacks have been remarkably, consistently dismal:

Year Primary QB Team ANY/A vs. League Avg Rank
2009 Mark Sanchez 3.96 -29.9% 27
2010 Mark Sanchez 5.45 -5.0% 21
2011 Mark Sanchez 5.12 -13.2% 20
2012 Mark Sanchez 4.29 -27.7% 30
2013 Geno Smith 4.18 -28.9% 32
2014 Geno Smith 4.75 -22.5% 30

And while hope springs up around the league in August, there’s little reason to think the combination of EJ Manuel, Matt Cassel, and Tyrod Taylor will improve things for Ryan in Buffalo. They’ve been surprisingly effective in the preseason, but almost everyone looks better against vanilla defenses. The dark truth remains: Ryan will likely still be no. 1 on this list if we run these numbers again next year.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's why Belichick has had the success he's had. Granted he's a great coach, very detailed, and innovative but come on, without Brady pulling the trigger he doesn't win sh*t with the squads he's personally put together.

Just look at last years Super Bowl, anyone that believes they could even be in that game without Brady is fooling themselves. He really played the perfect game vs a beat up Seahawks secondary, wore out their front 4 by moving the chains & still should have lost the game. 

Each & every year you stack up the playoff teams & it's always the top QBs in the game leading the way. If you ask me who I think the BEST HEAD COACH is currently, it's Chip Kelly! Doing way more with less, using his system. Two seasons of 10-6! He may not win a Super Bowl, but at least the fans get to enjoy their seasons. Winning a Super Bowl is really hard if you don't have a top QB, just take a look at the last 13 years. Brady, Rothlisburger, Brees, Manning, Manning, Rogers, Wilson. 

That's why Belichick has had the success he's had. Granted he's a great coach, very detailed, and innovative but come on, without Brady pulling the trigger he doesn't win sh*t with the squads he's personally put together.

Just look at last years Super Bowl, anyone that believes they could even be in that game without Brady is fooling themselves. He really played the perfect game vs a beat up Seahawks secondary, wore out their front 4 by moving the chains & still should have lost the game. 

Each & every year you stack up the playoff teams & it's always the top QBs in the game leading the way. If you ask me who I think the BEST HEAD COACH is currently, it's Chip Kelly! Doing way more with less, using his system. Two seasons of 10-6! He may not win a Super Bowl, but at least the fans get to enjoy their seasons. Winning a Super Bowl is really hard if you don't have a top QB, just take a look at the last 13 years. Brady, Rothlisburger, Brees, Manning, Manning, Rogers, Wilson. 

If Bradford stays healthy, this may be Chip's best year yet.  Interested to see if his defense would hold up during a playoff run with the way he runs those guys in to the ground.

Rex picked Sanchez.

Rex refused to move on from Sanchez.

Rex ruined Sanchez (which didn't take much).

Revisionist historians will want to blame Idzik for Geno, but the ONLY reason Rex had to start Geno in his 5th year was because Rex got Sanchez, who he planned on starting without making him earn it (yet again), hurt in the pre-season Snoopy Bowl.

**** this article. 

**** making excuses for Rex.

Belichick's defense dragged a team with the same studs as #6 overall to two super bowl wins.  He did pretty well with Testaverde and Bledsoe too. I guess maybe I just disagree with you in general because when I see 10-6 I hardly think of exclamation points.  **** Chip Kelly, that low rent Mouse Davis.

If Bradford stays healthy, this may be Chip's best year yet.  Interested to see if his defense would hold up during a playoff run with the way he runs those guys in to the ground.

i am in a fantasy league with coworkers. First overall pick: demarco murray. First QB off board: bradford :rl:

i am in a fantasy league with coworkers. First overall pick: demarco murray. First QB off board: bradford :rl:

Typical...in all honesty, Philly fans have been far more reserved than I expected after Bradford's 10-10 performance.  I've only heard one guy predict a super bowl...expected it to be 8 out of every 10 callers on sports radio.

Bradford's quick release in Chip's up-tempo offense could be deadly though...you goin' to Jets/Eagles?

Here's a little brain teaser for the Rex fans in the audience. Lovie Smith coached a team that: a.) employed not one but two GMs who had no idea how to evaluate talent, b.) had a Hall of Fame QB in its division for his entire tenure, and c.) suffered through abysmal QB play every year. Despite all this, Lovie Smith has three division titles, two conference championship game appearances (!!!), a Super Bowl appearance, and--even after going 2-14 last season--a winning record for his career. 

My question for all of you: wha happen?

Wow, this is shocking, I mean shocking! Rex actually had to work with horrible QB's and yet somehow managed to be one of the most sucessfull Jets HC's of all time?? Maybe he is not as bad as everyone wants to make him, maybe he is, gulp, good???? Maybe we should have, gulp, kept him???????

Or, maybe Rex and staff were terrible at developing and recognizing the qb  position?

Sounds like we should have given Mangini another shot

The most amazing thing to me about that list is that with Rex and Mangini we made the postseason three times in 11 season in spite of the horrific quarterback play. 

The most depressing part is that there are ******* three Jets head coaches on that list. 

Wow, this is shocking, I mean shocking! Rex actually had to work with horrible QB's and yet somehow managed to be one of the most sucessfull Jets HC's of all time?? Maybe he is not as bad as everyone wants to make him, maybe he is, gulp, good???? Maybe we should have, gulp, kept him???????

Rex's best years were with Mangini's team. After he moved on from that core and "developed" his own, he was abysmal.

And the fact that he was a sub .500 coach and still was one of the most successful, really makes me question every decision I've ever made in life.

Glenn and the Jejune Brigade after finding this article:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/b9/85/7e/b9857e0d09debf2653501b6febceecc6.gif

Totally off-topic, but the care to detail in the Rings trilogy as compared to the Hobbit movies is astounding... I just saw battle of the 5 armies and you could literally feel the "okay we need this forbidden lovers scene to take up 8 minutes, then the redundantly obstinate dwarf joke build up to take 5 minutes... so how much non-movie does that bring us to now?"

I think there's a middle ground with Rex.  Like any other coach he can't win without semi-competent qb play. He's not the worst coach of all time like his haters swear he is.  

Totally off-topic, but the care to detail in the Rings trilogy as compared to the Hobbit movies is astounding... I just saw battle of the 5 armies and you could literally feel the "okay we need this forbidden lovers scene to take up 8 minutes, then the redundantly obstinate dwarf joke build up to take 5 minutes... so how much non-movie does that bring us to now?"

For LOTR, Jackson not only had physical actors for the Orks, but he gave all of them, including the extras, their own backstories. The Hobbit trilogy is a series of corny, CG-ridden slop. I thought I enjoyed them somewhat in the theater but I have tried rewatching them at home and they are just so poorly acted and unwatchable. 

Here's a little brain teaser for the Rex fans in the audience. Lovie Smith coached a team that: a.) employed not one but two GMs who had no idea how to evaluate talent, b.) had a Hall of Fame QB in its division for his entire tenure, and c.) suffered through abysmal QB play every year. Despite all this, Lovie Smith has three division titles, two conference championship game appearances (!!!), a Super Bowl appearance, and--even after going 2-14 last season--a winning record for his career. 

His quarterback was named Rex? 

For LOTR, Jackson not only had physical actors for the Orks, but he gave all of them, including the extras, their own backstories. The Hobbit trilogy is a series of corny, CG-ridden slop. I thought I enjoyed them somewhat in the theater but I have tried rewatching them at home and they are just so poorly acted and unwatchable. 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2gMub-jalKYM7citPD2k

NERDS!

Pretty much how I feel about them. I actually saw the first Hobbit in the theatre, and it's maybe the best of the 3, but the 2nd and 3rd got worse and worse... and the 3rd one didn't even compel me to go to the theatre. My decision was justified when I saw it on HBO this past week. Awful.

The entire 3rd movie is Jackson tying up sub-plots that just don't really exist in the book... and the actual battle of the 5 armies was a monumental letdown... especially when you look at it next to Helm's Deep. 

I thought with LOTR Jackson did a good job sticking to the book, while aesthetically honoring the animated movie in some great scenes, and really just bringing sh*t like this to a new level. All the progress and achievement of the first trilogy was undone by the second one. Hobbit should have been one movie, or no movie at all. 

I think there's a middle ground with Rex.  Like any other coach he can't win without semi-competent qb play. He's not the worst coach of all time like his haters swear he is.  

Just like the way nobody actually compared Fred Jackson to Barry Sanders, nobody actually makes the argument that Rex is the worst coach of all time. 

I like how brazen you are about not knowing anything though, so carry on... 

He had a beautiful recipe of great defense, ground and pound and the greatest kick returner of all time.  Didnt hurt that Brett Favre won 12 total games over that 2 season stretch and the rest of the division was below .500.  It also didnt hurt he was their for 9 years and allowed to endure losing seasons.  It also didnt hurt having decent to good QB play for most of the those years except for 1.

A little different than playing in the same division as the most dominate Football team in the league since the Steelers of the 70's with the worst QB play in the league...but this was a cute exercise nonetheless.

He had a beautiful recipe of great defense, ground and pound and the greatest kick returner of all time.  Didnt hurt that Brett Favre won 12 total games over that 2 season stretch and the rest of the division was below .500.  It also didnt hurt he was their for 9 years and allowed to endure losing seasons.  It also didnt hurt having decent to good QB play for most of the those years except for 1.

A little different than playing in the same division as the most dominate Football team in the league since the Steelers of the 70's with the worst QB play in the league...but this was a cute exercise nonetheless.

oh

wait wat

Yep!  Slow day and I'm bored so I'll break it down real quick:

2004: He won 4 games.  Their QB situation was horrible.  Hutchinson, Krenzel, Grossman, Quinn.

2005: He won 11 games.  Honestly, this was amazing.  The division was terrible but their schedule was brutal.  Have no clue how he pulled this season off.  Orton and Grossman were terrible. Orton won 10 games with some terrible numbers.  But, Thomas Jones ran for 1400 yards and 9 TD's. And they had the best D in the league.  Reminds me of 2009 for the Jets

2006: SB year - Grossman was good.  7th in the league in TD passes, 11th in yards.  More TD's than turnovers.  TJ was solid and they had the great season ever from their return game. D was top 3.

2007: won 7 games with Combo of Brian Griese and Grossman 

2008: Won 9 games - Orton was 60%, 18-12.  Forte was a beast.

2009 and on he had Cutler.  

So yeah, the years he had good QB play, they won (except for 1 year he defied the odds).  The years he had bad QB play, they lost.  Go figure.

Belichick's defense dragged a team with the same studs as #6 overall to two super bowl wins.  He did pretty well with Testaverde and Bledsoe too. I guess maybe I just disagree with you in general because when I see 10-6 I hardly think of exclamation points.  **** Chip Kelly, that low rent Mouse Davis.

By pretty good do you mean a 5-11 record with Bledsoe as the Patriots qb?

Just like the way nobody actually compared Fred Jackson to Barry Sanders, nobody actually makes the argument that Rex is the worst coach of all time. 

I like how brazen you are about not knowing anything though, so carry on... 

I think they're just pointing out the crazy concept that coaches need good quarterback play to win.  Bill Belichick the evil genius greatest coach ever went 5-11 the season before Tom Brady became his starting qb.

Archived