Which NFL head coaches have had the worst QB's in history?

AFJF

I think they're just pointing out the crazy concept that coaches need good quarterback play to win.  Bill Belichick the evil genius greatest coach ever went 5-11 the season before Tom Brady became his starting qb.

This literally has nothing to do with what you previously said, and what I responded to.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's a little brain teaser for the Rex fans in the audience. Lovie Smith coached a team that: a.) employed not one but two GMs who had no idea how to evaluate talent, b.) had a Hall of Fame QB in its division for his entire tenure, and c.) suffered through abysmal QB play every year. Despite all this, Lovie Smith has three division titles, two conference championship game appearances (!!!), a Super Bowl appearance, and--even after going 2-14 last season--a winning record for his career. 

My question for all of you: wha happen?

And with all that success Chicago fired Lovie and haven't sniffed their level of play under him since he left. 

tfw you make a passionate argument about the quality of Lovie Smith's QBs in a thread where math has already proved he's never had even average QB play in any year of his career

1045.gif

Do you think having a QB that throws for the 7th most TD's in the league is better than average? 

The most amazing thing to me about that list is that with Rex and Mangini we made the postseason three times in 11 season in spite of the horrific quarterback play.

The most depressing part is that there are ******* three Jets head coaches on that list. 

This... You want to know why we have been  suffering so long as a fan base... This helps answer that question.

lol @ the ilk and their ape groupie circling the wagons against math.. what a conundrum 4 them

the answer to this question was obvious before the thread was opened, but it doesn't make Rex any less of a buffoon

As someone else said, the worst part is 3 freaken Jets coaches on list.. Curse of Namath?

Typical...in all honesty, Philly fans have been far more reserved than I expected after Bradford's 10-10 performance.  I've only heard one guy predict a super bowl...expected it to be 8 out of every 10 callers on sports radio.

Bradford's quick release in Chip's up-tempo offense could be deadly though...you goin' to Jets/Eagles?

If it was in Philly, I would. I go to MetLife for one game a year with my dad and brother.  Usually later in season.

By pretty good do you mean a 5-11 record with Bledsoe as the Patriots qb?

You're right.  I tend to give him credit for Pacells success.  Belichick was just DB coach/Assistant HC when Drew took them to the super bowl, but I still give him much of the credit.  I was not very fond of Belichick as a head coach, but he'd deserve entry to the HOF as a coordinator without Brady

You're right.  I tend to give him credit for Pacells success.  Belichick was just DB coach/Assistant HC when Drew took them to the super bowl, but I still give him much of the credit.  I was not very fond of Belichick as a head coach, but he'd deserve entry to the HOF as a coordinator without Brady

BB had Vinny with the Browns when BB got canned in 1995 Vinny had his best td year in 1996 with 33 td's as a Raven..

he wasn't the DC for NE in 1996.

you said he should be in the Hall as coordinator(which I agree with).  I was just stating he wasn't DC of that team.

I know you like to argue, but I never said he was DC of that team.  You were just stating something I already said.  See above.  You quoted the ******* thing.  The whole point of my post was that I probably give Belichick too much credit as an assistant. 

I know you like to argue, but I never said he was DC of that team.  You were just stating something I already said.  See above.  You quoted the ******* thing.  The whole point of my post was that I probably give Belichick too much credit as an assistant. 

I didn't say you did.

I don't know about that.  If you

put Belichick into Canton just based off him being Parcells' assistant and DC you have to also put in guys like Charlie Weis.

Belichik had a mediocre career as a head coach before he got lucky and the greatest qb ever fell in his lap.  That's simply a fact.

I don't know about that.  If you

put Belichick into Canton just based off him being Parcells' assistant and DC you have to also put in guys like Charlie Weis.

Belichik had a mediocre career as a head coach before he got lucky and the greatest qb ever fell in his lap.  That's simply a fact.

Charlie Weiss did not beat the K-Gun, Belichick and LT did. 

I have heard varying theories on Belichick's coaching with the Browns.  Most of us see it as mediocre.  Others saw it as a success, derailed by the move.  It may be a vaild theory. They improved each year and went 11-5 losing in the 2nd round in 1994.  In 1995 were something like 3-1 and Modell was fighting about the stadium and the move was being rumored.  They were around .500 when it was announced that the team was heading to Baltimore and they ended up losing 6 of their last 7.  A sh*tty season to be sure, but unusual circumstances. 

Charlie Weiss did not beat the K-Gun, Belichick and LT did. 

I have heard varying theories on Belichick's coaching with the Browns.  Most of us see it as mediocre.  Others saw it as a success, derailed by the move.  It may be a vaild theory. They improved each year and went 11-5 losing in the 2nd round in 1994.  In 1995 were something like 3-1 and Modell was fighting about the stadium and the move was being rumored.  They were around .500 when it was announced that the team was heading to Baltimore and they ended up losing 6 of their last 7.  A sh*tty season to be sure, but unusual circumstances. 

the giants OFFENSE did by controlling the clock for 40+ mins.  BB and BP get way too much credit for getting shredded by the Bills offense in that SB. 

Art Modell announced the move to Bal on 11/6/95.  Cle was 4-5 and had just lost 37-10.

BB was a complete failure as a HC w/o Brady. 

the giants OFFENSE did by controlling the clock for 40+ mins.  BB and BP get way too much credit for getting shredded by the Bills offense in that SB. 

Art Modell announced the move to Bal on 11/6/95.  Cle was 4-5 and had just lost 37-10.

BB was a complete failure as a HC w/o Brady. 

Yep.  Sure thing.  People associated with NFL teams never have any idea what is going on prior to official announcements.  Shredded to the tune of 19 points.  Bend but don't break.  I don't like it, but that is what they did.  You officially have no grasp on time of possession.  It is not an offensive statistic or a defensive statistic.  It is a team statistic.  The defense has to take the ball away and the offense has to keep it.  Besides, the Bills played a ton of no-huddle which reduces TOP per play.

Yep.  Sure thing.  People associated with NFL teams never have any idea what is going on prior to official announcements.  Shredded to the tune of 19 points.  Bend but don't break.  I don't like it, but that is what they did.  You officially have no grasp on time of possession.  It is not an offensive statistic or a defensive statistic.  It is a team statistic.  The defense has to take the ball away and the offense has to keep it.  Besides, the Bills played a ton of no-huddle which reduces TOP per play.

19 pts(17 on O) in just 19 minutes.  they were shredded.  the OFFENSE won that game by controlling the clock all game. the D didn't take the ball away one time all game.

in the 2 AFC playoff games Buf's O had the ball 27 mins vs. Miami and 31 1/2 against LA.

BB gets credit for everything, he doesn't deserves credit for SB XXV.

19 pts(17 on O) in just 19 minutes.  they were shredded.  the OFFENSE won that game by controlling the clock all game. the D didn't take the ball away one time all game.

in the 2 AFC playoff games Buf's O had the ball 27 mins vs. Miami and 31 1/2 against LA.

Otis Anderson

Wow, this is shocking, I mean shocking! Rex actually had to work with horrible QB's and yet somehow managed to be one of the most sucessfull Jets HC's of all time?? Maybe he is not as bad as everyone wants to make him, maybe he is, gulp, good???? Maybe we should have, gulp, kept him???????

No, no just fcuk no. 

What the article does not take into account is that much of this list is full of head coaches that are the root of their own problems. It does not take too much brain power to realize that all of the coaches on that list with the exception of Kotite, are defensive head coaches that favored the "contol the game, let the defense win it and the QB just needs to not make mistakes" philosophy which does NOT work in the NFL.

Rex is the reason that Sanchez and Smith were terrible. Not shockingly, Vick looked just as bad under Rex. Rex forced the offense into a mismatched hodgepodge of power running schemes and wildcat with passing attacks that were designed around different philosophies. Different looks for pass and throw and then he ran on first and second down more than any other coach putting the QB in impossible situations. Neither Geno or Sanchez were guaranteed to become All Pros but both went to the worst possible place and situation for a young QB.

The reality is that the above list is not a list of the coaches that suffered through terrible QBs, it is a list of defensive head coaches that were competent on defense, and ran offensive schemes that limited the QBs ability to perform. It is a list of the least balanced head coaches in history that are good defensive coordinators and were able to stay just mediocre enough to not get fired.

People say  "well if only Rex had  X QB" he would have won the SB. No, he just would have made X QB look really really average.   

Bills hold the ball for 19 minutes - "Yay offense!"  Sanchez gets 6 first downs and holds the ball for 21 minutes: "******* defense let the Ravens control the clock!"  You score on drives, not minutes.  You hold the ball by getting first downs, which admittedly the Giants did.  As I said, I tend to give Belichick more credit than he probably deserves, however, I certainly don't think Charlie Weiss deserves much credit.  I think he was an assistant special teams coach fresh out of the high school coaching ranks at that point.  

Bills hold the ball for 19 minutes - "Yay offense!"  Sanchez gets 6 first downs and holds the ball for 21 minutes: "******* defense let the Ravens control the clock!"  You score on drives, not minutes.  You hold the ball by getting first downs, which admittedly the Giants did.  As I said, I tend to give Belichick more credit than he probably deserves, however, I certainly don't think Charlie Weiss deserves much credit.  I think he was an assistant special teams coach fresh out of the high school coaching ranks at that point.  

are you comparing the 1990 Bills offense to the 2010 Jets? you do know I criticized mark and the offense too, right?

the bottom line is Buf's O moved the ball at will against NYG and the O held the ball for 40 mins.  NYG had 386 yds total offense in 40+ mins, Buf had 371 in 19+ mins.

Here's a little brain teaser for the Rex fans in the audience. Lovie Smith coached a team that: a.) employed not one but two GMs who had no idea how to evaluate talent, b.) had a Hall of Fame QB in its division for his entire tenure, and c.) suffered through abysmal QB play every year. Despite all this, Lovie Smith has three division titles, two conference championship game appearances (!!!), a Super Bowl appearance, and--even after going 2-14 last season--a winning record for his career. 

My question for all of you: wha happen?

I can't believe Brian Billick isn't on that list.   I can't even remember all of the bad QB's he had in baltimore but he had a great overall record.   Tony Banks, Kyle Boller, Trent Dilfer - I am pretty sure those were his better QB's in his ravens tenure.   

Archived