2nd round curse ~ ~ ~

kelly

Jace Amaro's unfortunate shoulder injury, which landed him on season-ending injured reserve, got me thinking about the New York Jets' dark history of second-round picks. This isn't to suggest that Amaro is ready for the scrap heap -- this is only his second season -- but you can't help but notice the 40-year trendTwo of the greatest players in Jets history were second-round picks -- wide receiver Wesley Walker (1977) and defensive end Mark Gastineau (1979). In fact, Gastineau is the most recent second-rounder to make the Pro Bowl. Justin Miller (2005) made it once as a kick returner, but he was the quintessential flash-in-the-pan player, as his career lasted only 46 games.From Gastineau to the current second-rounder, Devin Smith, the Jets have used 32 picks in the second round and not one has made the Pro Bowl at an offensive or defensive position.

Call it bad drafting, call it rotten luck, call it whatever. It's just mind boggling.

This might be painful, but here's a review of the good, bad and ugly -- mostly, the latter two :

THE BUSTS

Stephen Hill (2012), Vladimir Ducasse (2010), Miller (2005), Victor Hobson (2003), Dorian Boose (1998), Reggie Terry (1997), Alex Van Dyke (1996), Ryan Yarborough (1994), Coleman Rudolph (1993), Kurt Barber (1992), Browning Nagle (1991), Reggie Rembert (1990), Terry Williams (1988), Alex Gordon (1987), Doug Williams (1986), Glenn Dennison (1984).

NOT ENOUGH BANG FOR THE BUCK

Kellen Clemens (2006), Jon McGraw (2002), LaMont Jordan (2001), Lester Lyles (1985), Johnny Hector (1983), Marion Barber (1981).

SOLID CHOICES

David Harris (2007), Mike Nugent (2005), Randy Thomas (1999), Matt O'Dwyer (1995), Dennis Byrd (1989), Jim Sweeney (1984), Reggie McElroy (1982), Darrol Ray (1980).

JURY STILL OUT

Amaro (2014), Geno Smith (2013).

> http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/53760/jace-amaro-injury-a-reminder-of-jets-second-round-curse

This is one of the craziest things I've seen in a while. To see it compiled like that is terribly sad.  I've had such high hopes for so many of the names on that list.

Ryan Yarborough. lol  Mcgraw used to knock himself out he would hit people so hard. I liked that guy.  Dorian Boose actually led all rookies in sacks in the preseason his first year with 5 I think. I was so chubbed up for him after that and he did nothing. 

And to think we cut Fanneca the minute we picked Ducasse. Shows just how ass backwards the Tanny regime was at times. 

Seems like a goofy list to me.  Alex Gordon was a solid contributor and starting LB for several years.  Nagle was at least the starting QB for a season.  Clemens is a career backup, I don't see any real difference in their production.  Stephen HIll is a bust as a starting WR, but to list him with guys like Yarborough and Van Dyke isn't really fair. Those guys gave nothing and that says nothing of Rembert who held out and never played a down for the team.   They traded him for Joe Kelly when they picked up Rob Moore in the supplemental draft.  I liked Marion Barber.  He ran okay, but would fumble.  Not a good pick, but a phenomenal special teams player. I hated Boose, but mostly because he was the Parcells answer as pass rusher after he ran Hugh Douglas out of town for a bag of balls.  Actually, I looked it up, they got a 2nd (the Boose pick) and fifth for him, but check this out: $700k!  I though they had gotten two mid-late round picks, but the NYT says 2nd and 5th

. And finally, with Douglas gone, the Jets' salary cap will be reduced. Douglas, a first-round draft pick in 1995, was scheduled to make slightly more than $700,000 for the 1998 season.

http://www.nytimes.com/1998/03/14/sports/football-jets-douglas-deemed-an-ill-fit-is-traded-to-the-eagles-for-picks.html

Seems like a goofy list to me.  Alex Gordon was a solid contributor and starting LB for several years.  Nagle was at least the starting QB for a season.  Clemens is a career backup, I don't see any real difference in their production.  Stephen HIll is a bust as a starting WR, but to list him with guys like Yarborough and Van Dyke isn't really fair. Those guys gave nothing and that says nothing of Rembert who held out and never played a down for the team.   They traded him for Joe Kelly when they picked up Rob Moore in the supplemental draft.  I liked Marion Barber.  He ran okay, but would fumble.  Not a good pick, but a phenomenal special teams player. I hated Boose, but mostly because he was the Parcells answer as pass rusher after he ran Hugh Douglas out of town for a bag of balls.  Actually, I looked it up, they got a 2nd (the Boose pick) and fifth for him, but check this out: $700k!  I though they had gotten two mid-late round picks, but the NYT says 2nd and 5th

Truly, an incredible rationalization talent you have there.  You managed to take several players who in reality, were varying degrees of suck... and made them seem like underachieving, part-time contributors.

They are the same thing.    ;)

Truly, an incredible rationalization talent you have there.  You managed to take several players who in reality, were varying degrees of suck... and made them seem like underachieving, part-time contributors.

As Jets fans, that's all we've got..

Not sure I get it.  They were underachieving part time contributors.  I didn't mean to say they drafted well or these guys didn't belong on the bust list, I just don't see how a guy is okay with a kicker and Jon McGraw who started like 7 games as a Jet, but not Alex Gordon..  How does Clemens get a better rating than Nagle?  They did all suck.  It's just a matter of determining degree. 

Didnt realize Kellen Clemens was a 2nd rounder. That's a bust pick. 

I disagree. Kellen never got a chance here and has been a solid player in the NFL. Maybe not a star but it was far from a bad pick and things might have been different if he had been given a real shot.

This is one of the craziest things I've seen in a while. To see it compiled like that is terribly sad.  I've had such high hopes for so many of the names on that list.

Ryan Yarborough. lol  Mcgraw used to knock himself out he would hit people so hard. I liked that guy.  Dorian Boose actually led all rookies in sacks in the preseason his first year with 5 I think. I was so chubbed up for him after that and he did nothing. 

And to think we cut Fanneca the minute we picked Ducasse. Shows just how ass backwards the Tanny regime was at times. 

I compiled it 2 years ago after we picked Geno. I wanted to punch myself in the face after... because I used it to make the argument that "picking Geno can't be a waste of a pick compared to how poorly we've used 2nd rounders over our history".

I compiled it 2 years ago after we picked Geno. I wanted to punch myself in the face after... because I used it to make the argument that "picking Geno can't be a waste of a pick compared to how poorly we've used 2nd rounders over our history".

It's truly one of the most thorough examples of sucktitude in the history of the game.  The only thing worse may be our 1st rd pick history.

Ps.. you should gone through with it and punched yourself in the face by the way.

It's truly one of the most thorough examples of sucktitude in the history of the game.  The only thing worse may be our 1st rd pick history.

Ps.. you should gone through with it and punched yourself in the face by the way.

He had to stand in line too many people ahead of him..:lol:

Victor Hobson started for years.  I think he got a second contract and kept starting through Mangini.  Not a great pick, but he does not really belong in the same spot on that list as guys that never played a down.  He was a late second, but looks much worse in light of the fact that the next three picks included Boldin and Osi and Lance Briggs wasn't taken much later.  He probably belongs in the Jalen Sauders thread as another guy that was going to flourish under Belichick, but he never even made it out of camp with the Pats. 

Archived