Dexter McDougle ~ ~ ~

kelly

Second-Year CB Is Healthy, Playing Faster & Understanding the Game

Dexter McDougleicon-article-link.gif is set to complete his  first preseason as a pro and the second-year cornerback has turned in a fine effort to date. Entering Thursday’s preseason finale vs. the Eagles, McDougle leads the Jets with three passes defended and he has also contributed six defensive tackles.“I feel like I’m just understanding the game more,” he told me his week. “I’ve always been pretty strong at the line, getting hands on everything. But I’m doing a better job in-phase, running down the field with receivers and being able to read what they’re going to do coming out of breaks. I’m coming out of my breaks a lot faster.”

Last August, McDougle’s rookie season came to a screeching halt as he tore his ACL in his left knee. A third-round selection out of Maryland, McDougle spent the 2014 campaign on injured reserve. After a long rehab, he returned to team drills in the spring and was a fixture on the practice field throughout camp.“I’m feeling good. Up to this point, I’ve been healthy,” he said. “The knee has been feeling really good and I’ve been flying around, making plays. So I’m happy, just getting ready for this next game.”

Last summer at SUNY Cortland, McDougle lined up at 201 pounds. But listed at 5’10”, 195 pounds on the current Jets roster, McDougle is leaner and faster in Year 2. He says he takes care of his body better both pre-practice and post-practice, learning from veterans last year and established pros like Darrelle Revisicon-article-link.gif  and Antonio Cromartie “My body’s a lot different from last year. I got my body to where I want to be right now,” he said. “I’m 193 right now. I’m playing a lot faster. I think all-around just understanding the game - the game has slowed down for me a lot.”Playing both outside and inside, McDougle doesn’t hint at a preference. To him, it’s all playing cornerback and that’s something he embraces.

“I’m pretty comfortable left, right, and inside left and inside right. Basically in this defense, you have to be ready to play all those positions,” he said. “I played pretty evenly all around this preseason. I think last game I was a lot more on the outside, but it wouldn’t matter if I had played nickel or outside. Either way I’m comfortable.”The Jets have the right to feel comfortable at the corner position. Darrelle Revis, Antonio Cromartie and Buster Skrineicon-article-link.gif are entrenched 1-3, but the talent and depth extends to players like Darrin Wallsicon-article-link.gif, Marcus Williamsicon-article-link.gif and McDougle. Dee Millinericon-article-link.gif, a former first-round pick, is working his way back from a wrist injury.

“We have a lot of depth in there. We’re a strong unit. For us, we just go out there and keep competing and let all that other stuff handle itself,” McDougle said. “In our DB room, we have a lot of good guys. You just have to go out there and do what you have to do, and everything else will take care of itself. Just make plays and do my job.”Even if McDougle doesn’t start against the Eagles, he figures to see a lot of playing time.“I’ve been playing a lot this preseason,” he said. “So whenever I get my opportunity, I’m trying to make the most of it. It’s just another game for me, so we’ll see who’s playing on Thursday.”

>   http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-7/McDougle-Makes-His-Move/81a540c2-27ab-46af-a073-933b06cbaec3

Second-Year CB Is Healthy, Playing Faster & Understanding the Game

Dexter McDougleicon-article-link.gif is set to complete his  first preseason as a pro and the second-year cornerback has turned in a fine effort to date. Entering Thursday’s preseason finale vs. the Eagles, McDougle leads the Jets with three passes defended and he has also contributed six defensive tackles.“I feel like I’m just understanding the game more,” he told me his week. “I’ve always been pretty strong at the line, getting hands on everything. But I’m doing a better job in-phase, running down the field with receivers and being able to read what they’re going to do coming out of breaks. I’m coming out of my breaks a lot faster.”

Last August, McDougle’s rookie season came to a screeching halt as he tore his ACL in his left knee. A third-round selection out of Maryland, McDougle spent the 2014 campaign on injured reserve. After a long rehab, he returned to team drills in the spring and was a fixture on the practice field throughout camp.“I’m feeling good. Up to this point, I’ve been healthy,” he said. “The knee has been feeling really good and I’ve been flying around, making plays. So I’m happy, just getting ready for this next game.”

Last summer at SUNY Cortland, McDougle lined up at 201 pounds. But listed at 5’10”, 195 pounds on the current Jets roster, McDougle is leaner and faster in Year 2. He says he takes care of his body better both pre-practice and post-practice, learning from veterans last year and established pros like Darrelle Revisicon-article-link.gif  and Antonio Cromartie “My body’s a lot different from last year. I got my body to where I want to be right now,” he said. “I’m 193 right now. I’m playing a lot faster. I think all-around just understanding the game - the game has slowed down for me a lot.”Playing both outside and inside, McDougle doesn’t hint at a preference. To him, it’s all playing cornerback and that’s something he embraces.

“I’m pretty comfortable left, right, and inside left and inside right. Basically in this defense, you have to be ready to play all those positions,” he said. “I played pretty evenly all around this preseason. I think last game I was a lot more on the outside, but it wouldn’t matter if I had played nickel or outside. Either way I’m comfortable.”The Jets have the right to feel comfortable at the corner position. Darrelle Revis, Antonio Cromartie and Buster Skrineicon-article-link.gif are entrenched 1-3, but the talent and depth extends to players like Darrin Wallsicon-article-link.gif, Marcus Williamsicon-article-link.gif and McDougle. Dee Millinericon-article-link.gif, a former first-round pick, is working his way back from a wrist injury.

“We have a lot of depth in there. We’re a strong unit. For us, we just go out there and keep competing and let all that other stuff handle itself,” McDougle said. “In our DB room, we have a lot of good guys. You just have to go out there and do what you have to do, and everything else will take care of itself. Just make plays and do my job.”Even if McDougle doesn’t start against the Eagles, he figures to see a lot of playing time.“I’ve been playing a lot this preseason,” he said. “So whenever I get my opportunity, I’m trying to make the most of it. It’s just another game for me, so we’ll see who’s playing on Thursday.”

>   http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-7/McDougle-Makes-His-Move/81a540c2-27ab-46af-a073-933b06cbaec3

Dexter is good at football?  GTFO.

Between Dexter McDougle and Marcus Williams, I think the Jets actually have some solid depth after Revis, Cro and Skrine.  Williams can flat out play, no doubt.  McDougle has shown he just might be legit too, he just needs to stay on the field

Too bad we have a first round pick that can't play a lick in Milliner. Not to mention Calvin Pryor who is another wasted first rounder.

What are you guys talking about? 

You can't judge CBs without a pass rush. Why do you think the ball was going up & down the field like a pinball. He's played in 4 preseason games coming back from knee surgery. 

Dex isn't going anywhere. He's still learning, the kid got hurt as a rookie. Man, it's amazing to me how fans want every player to be instant pro bowlers. I remember last year fans saying cut Enunwa, cut Owusu, ridiculous.

Massive disappointment, guy looks like he has a lot of tools and looked good in camp last year.  He was awful last night, it is one thing to possibly have coverage issues but he utter failed on at least 3 tackles, the type you see a guy like Revis make all the time.

Massive disappointment, guy looks like he has a lot of tools and looked good in camp last year.  He was awful last night, it is one thing to possibly have coverage issues but he utter failed on at least 3 tackles, the type you see a guy like Revis make all the time.

It almost looks like he is playing not to get hurt.

I'm really hoping the staff really weighs their decision based on the best player and not on potential. I get McDougle may have had a bright future 3 years ago. He hasn't played football now for 2 years. Like it or not that matters. A guy like Walls is playing better football right now, I would be upset seeing him cut over McDougle based on potential that likely may never come. McDougle was a terrible draft pick given how high he was taken and the fact he hadn't played football in a year at the time. The prior regime would have married themselves to him because they want "their guys", but this staff has no loyalty to him and if he is not showing anything now they have to keep the better player. Them's the breaks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 7 months later...

After the pain of ranking recent Jets second round Draft picks, let's go experience more pain. It is time to rank third round Jets picks over the last decade.

~ ~  7. Dexter McDougle (Last Year: 6)

This pick felt like a major reach to me at the time. Through two years, McDougle has contributed almost nothing to the Jets. Time is running out. He gets a pass for 2014 because he tore his ACL. Want to give him a pass for 2015 because he was recovering, and it was his first year actually playing in the NFL? Fine. McDougle needs to start showing something this year.

rest of above article  : 

http://www.ganggreennation.com/2016/4/7/11383366/new-york-jets-third-round-draft-picks-of-the-last-decade-ranked

I thought the pick was a reach as well. I had to go scurrying around to find any info on him.  He did seem like a very good player before he got hurt in college.  One theme for the Jets is having 1st and 2nd year guys get hurt.  When you are new to the league, don;t get into trouble with the law and don't get hurt.

Archived