Maccagnan Interview Just Now

TuscanyTile2

(Regarding the interview late 3rd quarter of Jets/Eagles pre-season game)

"At the end of the day" count: 6   (2 in the 1st segment - pre-commercial)

Also, Greg Buttle said "You made a heck of a choice w/ Todd [Bowles]".  Obviously Buttle doesn't realize Bowles wasn't hired by Maccags.  Embarrassingly bad.  Though Buttle redeemed himself by saying "at the end of the day" one time himself.

Also, Greg Buttle said "You made a heck of a choice w/ Todd [Bowles]".  Obviously Buttle doesn't realize Bowles wasn't hired by Maccags.  Embarrassingly bad.  Though Buttle redeemed himself by saying "at the end of the day" one time himself.

Actually Macc did have a say in hiring Bowles.  How much of a say we don't know but they had Macc in with the rest of them during Bowles second interview.

Buttle is unlistenable, such a homer. Nothing the Jets have ever done has been bad in his opinion. Just glad the PS is over.

Buttle has way more problems than being a homer he's a horrific color analyst who makes stupid comment after stupid comment yet still has a job for 4 games a year.

Buttle is unlistenable, such a homer. Nothing the Jets have ever done has been bad in his opinion. Just glad the PS is over.

He is ideal.  

Just imagine he and other local pundits were feeding us truth for the past 20 preseasons. We wouldn't show up for games.

I love Buttle.  He is horrible.  Preseason games should be done by crazy homers.  Better that Buttle has that job to give his life meaning because he obviously is suffering from some form of CTE.  I used to love it when Glickman did the games.  He always seemed like a lunatic.  I was shocked to find out that he was a real athlete.  When the national guys do it they take no time to learn of the bottom of the rosters and they spend the 4th quarter whining that the game isn't over and showing them monkey around in the booth instead of the game.

Actually Macc did have a say in hiring Bowles.  How much of a say we don't know but they had Macc in with the rest of them during Bowles second interview.

+1 Macc was hired on Jan 13 and Bowles on the 18th so he could have had a say..

I don't think that is how it happened.  Everybody was sure that Bowles was the guy before Maccagnan came on board.  The way I remember it, they didn't make it official right away, but we knew Bowles would be coach before we knew who the GM would be.

I don't think that is how it happened.  Everybody was sure that Bowles was the guy before Maccagnan came on board.  The way I remember it, they didn't make it official right away, but we knew Bowles would be coach before we knew who the GM would be.

I thought Quinn was the guy they wanted but with the Hawks going to the Bowl they might have lost both Bowles and Quinn if he wanted a different offer..

My all time favorite team of announcers was Lindsey Nelson,Bob Murphy and Ralph Kiner. 

Buttle and Kiner have a lot in common. LOL!

I'll take Gary/Keith/Ron over them.  To me, Gary is a HOF announcer. 

I did love the days of McCarver/Kiner/Zabriske though (back when McCarver wasn't annoying).  Kiner definitely had his malaprops (" It's Father's Day today at Shea, so to all you fathers out there, Happy Birthday."). However, he also had a lot of good insights and funny stories.

Football announcers don't have that much time to kill though so they have to be concise.  Buttle isn't even interesting, let alone concise.  That said, I agree w/ whoever wrote that pre-season football announcers should be homers.  It's a cheaper product on the field and in the booth.  I'm good w/ that.

At the end of the day, I think the Jets knew they were hiring Bowles regardless of Maccags' status.

I thought Quinn was the guy they wanted but with the Hawks going to the Bowl they might have lost both Bowles and Quinn if he wanted a different offer..

Yes, there was some of that.  I think they weren't sure on Quinn, in particular it was known that Atlanta might be his first choice. I actually tried to edit my post because I went back and looked and there were articles about Maccagnan being at Bowles second interview - but the articles generally stated that it was basically a done deal at that point.  The truth is that Casserly has close ties to both and he and Wolf probably set this whole thing together

Yes, there was some of that.  I think they weren't sure on Quinn, in particular it was known that Atlanta might be his first choice. I actually tried to edit my post because I went back and looked and there were articles about Maccagnan being at Bowles second interview - but the articles generally stated that it was basically a done deal at that point.  The truth is that Casserly has close ties to both and he and Wolf probably set this whole thing together

I think they made the right choice with Bowles and he got asst Coach of the year award last year and Arians loves him..

It was absolutely a marriage but I wouldn't discount how much the Jets were enamored with Macc himself.  If he sat in on that 2nd interview and said, nope no  way I can work with this guy, I feel very confident Bowles wouldn't be here.  Everyone was reporting it beforehand just b/c of what happened with Quinn and the timing of events.  It was very important to the Jets to have Macc in that 2nd interview, don't forget the Jets rearranged the schedule and got Bowles into One Jets Drive a day earlier then his 2nd interview with the Falcons.  Also Quinn was at that time rumored to be interested in the Denver job as well. At the end of the day, I think Quinn was going to screw us over in the end so however it all got done, I think the Jets made the best decisions.

I love Buttle.  He is horrible.  Preseason games should be done by crazy homers.  Better that Buttle has that job to give his life meaning because he obviously is suffering from some form of CTE.  I used to love it when Glickman did the games.  He always seemed like a lunatic.  I was shocked to find out that he was a real athlete.  When the national guys do it they take no time to learn of the bottom of the rosters and they spend the 4th quarter whining that the game isn't over and showing them monkey around in the booth instead of the game.

Marty Glickman and Dave Herman did all the games on radio in 1977 lol wow that brings back some memories. And all the Jets home games were blacked out in 1977

Actually you don't realize that Macc did have a say in hiring Bowles.  Don't question the Buttle  

For the non-newyorkers such as me self, where can one listen to a recording of this interview?

It was during the game last night.  So if you have NFL Gamepass (USA version) you can watch the preseason game again, I forgot if it was 3rd quarter or not.  Otherwise you can try to find a torrent of the game to download.  If someone recorded or captured the game they might be able to upload just the interview.

It was during the game last night.  So if you have NFL Gamepass (USA version) you can watch the preseason game again, I forgot if it was 3rd quarter or not.  Otherwise you can try to find a torrent of the game to download.  If someone recorded or captured the game they might be able to upload just the interview.

thansk for letting me know.

Archived