" Pryor’s Place ? " ? ? ?

kelly

Bent, theJetsBlog.com: Jets second-year safety Calvin Pryor had a rough rookie year, something he has attributed mostly to the fact he was forced to play in an unfamiliar role, but also to the fact the level of communication with his teammates was inadequate.Hopes are high that Pryor will improve this season now that he seems to be in a much better situation. However, after making a couple of mistakes in the first preseason game, he missed the second one – along with valuable practice time – due to a family emergency. On Saturday night, he made his return to the starting line-up.

Or did he?

More on this after the jump…

Yes, Pryor played all of his reps with the starters, was on the field for three downs and never got substituted out of the game until the rest of the starters were all done for the day.However, we might have received a small clue about the Jets’ thinking because there was one play where he was not on the field and it was the first defensive snap of the game. Check it out :

As you can see, the Jets opened in a base personnel grouping. All of the front seven starters were the likely opening day starters apart from Trevor Reilly, who was deputizing for the injured Calvin Pace. In the secondary, instead of a two-corner, two-safety grouping, the Jets opted to go with three corners and one safety, by employing Buster Skrine as a slot corner to match with the Giants’ three-wide grouping.This is something I have been speculating would happen because it would explain why they might have spent big money on Antonio Cromartie when they’d already spent big on two players (Skrine and Darrelle Revis) who had proven capable of starting full time on the outside:

If Skrine plays well and/or Pryor does not, would the Jets use Skrine as their BADGER in the base defense and let Gilchrist play deep? Gilchrist could then remain deep and Pryor could re-enter the game to play in the box in sub-packages.

(Remember, the BADGER is not an official team term, it’s the name I gave to the role Tyrann Mathieu, a college cornerback, had with the Arizona defense over the past few years as Todd Bowles frequently employed a similar three-corner, one-safety look).

I re-emphasize here that the Jets only did this on one snap on Saturday night, but the record will show that Pryor did not start, even though he unquestionably had a starter’s role.Could the converse be true during the regular season? If Pryor wasn’t part of the base packages on defense, then he’d still get plenty of reps, because Bowles’ defense typically operated out of the nickel about 60% of the time over the past couple of years. In many cases, they would open the game with nickel personnel, which would make Pryor a “starter” even though he might only actually be on the field for 60% of the time. This would also turn Buster Skrine’s role from an assumed sub-package role into an every down role.

I can confirm that they did not use this personnel grouping in either of the first two games.

As noted, there are good reasons for Pryor’s struggles last year, but I would rather see him focus on playing with more discipline than make excuses for himself and vow that this year he’ll be making more plays. After all, he can’t blame everything on other people because we know he missed and was late for multiple meetings. In that light, can we blame the Jets for investigating other options?

Conclusions

I still think that Pryor is going to have a big role this season, but the Jets experimenting with that grouping is a positive thing because it presents them with a viable alternative if Pryor is underperforming or gets hurt. If Pryor wants to play primarily in the box, he can do that with nickel personnel on the field, but that’s less likely to be an option in base, so either he’d be forced to play deep some of the time – which he doesn’t want to do – or he’ll be forced into man coverage situations – which I don’t want him to do.Maybe the fact they did it for only one play indicates that they don’t intend to use that grouping much, but then again, the fact that it was the very first play could speak volumes. Was this to send a message to Pryor, perhaps? He presumably then got as many reps as possible after that first play because he is playing catch-up after last week. Then again, maybe it’s a complete red herring, designed to force upcoming opponents to prepare for something they aren’t going to do.This will be interesting to watch this year, but the key is that the personnel in this secondary provides Bowles with tremendous flexibility, which is something we’ve been emphasizing all along. If they can use the fact they have a deep cornerback group to mask any deficiencies in their safeties, then that will be extremely beneficial. This is just one way they might achieve that and, for now, it seems to be something they’re at least contemplating.

>      http://thejetsblog.com/bga/bga-pryors-place/

All I know is one thing. Last year somehow I managed to win a JetNation contest and was sent an autographed by Calvin Pryor Jets football - he better not get get cut-yet

he should be around for a least one more season    :unsure:

• 3 weeks later...

One game into the season, and one win, so things generally will be looking up at this point. A lot of Jets players are coming off strong performances the Week 1 victory over the Cleveland Browns, from Brandon Marshall seemingly fitting right in to the team with his big play ability to Marcus Williams ended up making the most of his unexpected opportunity. Everywhere from the defensive line to the offensive skill positions the Jets had more good than bad to start the season. One of the more impressive showings on the night, second year safety Calvin Pryor.His team-leading 10 tackles, tied for seventh among all NFL players in the first week, is already one-sixth of his full season total from 2014. Freed up from his deep lying playmaker role, Pryor was far more of a roaming threat, constantly finding  the ball and making big plays. None bigger than the hit on Josh McCown in the first quarter of a still scoreless game, as the Browns quarterback was making a dive for a touchdown. Pryor helped force the key fumble that enabled the Jets to recover for a touchback. While the Browns still took the lead during a largely listless first half from New York, keeping those seven points off the board there helped limit the hole the Jets eventually had to dig themselves out of, in a game that did not always seem destined to be a blowout.

Calvin Pryor has a big role to play on the 2015 New York Jets, the strong safety position is arguably his to run with for the season. Pryor played 64 of 71 snaps (90%) last Sunday, after playing just 66.8% of snaps in his rookie season. It does seem that the coaching staff views him highly, as defensive coordinator Kacy Rodgers mentioned Pryor's unique skill set in complimenting his Week 1 performance.It did seem that Pryor's status took a bit of a step back after his rookie struggles, but a useful rule is to never expect too much from a rookie. Sheldon Richardson's early success might have set the bar a little too high here in terms of expectations, and it shouldn't be too much of a surprise that Pryor took a little time to find his way, especially given how he was never  a clear fit for the deep centre field role he played for much of last year. Of course, the talk of him being benched for missing at least one meeting last season was disappointing even for a rookie, and hopefully this is something he has learned from now, leading into his second season, where a team should really expect an early round pick to step into a larger role. There is an opportunity for Pryor here to do just that.

Pryor has a lot more help around him this season as well, perhaps a few more veterans off the field but certainly on the field. Darrelle Revis headlines a far improved defensive back cast, Marcus Gilchrist taken over the free safety role enabling Pryor to use his athleticism to go find the ball. Pryor as the strong safety role for this season, does not have to be limited to a box role. As Kacy Rodgers pointed out, he is a versatile player, and that versatility is likely a big part of the scheme for the primetime game tonight to try and show Andrew Luck a variety of exotic looks. It will help the team all season to have a productive and dynamic Pryor in the backfield.As the Jets look to compete in part behind their talented but older secondary, Calvin Pryor could be a foundational piece not just in 2015 but in the years to come. Not to read too much into a single week, even such a productive one from a player with a strong college track record, but in the coming games we will hopefully see more of the Pryor who lined up against the Cleveland Browns. In an offseason with immense spending devoted to the backfield, Pryor could end up being the single biggest non-Revis upgrade in the positional group.

>    http://www.ganggreennation.com/2015/9/21/9359561/calvin-pryor-sophomore-safety?ref=yfp

• 1 month later...

– He is known as ‘The Third’ and it has nothing to do with anything on the football field and everything to do with an upbringing that he wants to honor. It is a tradition he hopes to uphold. It is more than just a name on the back of the jersey. 

There is a subtle change to the back of the New York Jets No. 25 jersey this year, something that perhaps went unnoticed by most fans. Gone is the rookie year ‘Pryor’ on the name plate on the back, making way now for ‘Pryor III.” Calvin Pryor III, the Jets first round pick last year and the starting strong safety has made the change to the last name on the back of his jersey to pay tribute to his grandfather and father. He says that it doesn’t change the way he plays but in each of his seven tackles made this past Sunday for the now 4-1 Jets, there is a young man playing for the two men who came before him.

In college at Louisville, he wore ‘Pryor III’ on his jersey, or as he simply shortens it to ‘The Third.’ Last year, everything happened so fast with Pryor being drafted and then getting into the swing of things  in the NFL that he didn’t have the chance to get his full name on the back of the jersey; it just wasn’t something he was able to think about and when he got his jersey it was too late to make a change. But this offseason with time to “chill,” Pryor III asked Director of Equipment Gus Granneman about his desire to go back to representing his family and making it read the way it did in college.

Of course the organization had no problems with his decision but it wasn’t as easy as all that.

Pryor III had to provide the team with a copy of his birth certificate and it was then forwarded to the NFL’s offices along with the necessary paperwork. Once the league examined everything, they then notified the Jets that they had a greenlight to put ‘Pryor III’ on the back of his jersey. The first time he wore the new look on his back was in the Jets first game of preseason (their practice jerseys only have numbers, no names).

After year of just being ‘Pryor’ now he was putting on his back three generations.

“They noticed. My dad was the one actually asking me if I was going to put ‘The Third’ on the back like I did in college,” Pryor III told Metro.“At the end of the day, it’s nice to have those jerseys lined up, from college to the NFL. They represent you, it feels good. You want to play for your name, for your family. That’s an important thing in life.

“Hopefully one day when I have a child, I hope to keep the trend going.”

Pryor III has a daughter right now but he admits that if he has a son, it might well continue on the tradition and become Calvin Pryor IV. He won’t pressure his possible progeny to follow in his footsteps, even if a possible Pryor IV sounds like another hard-hitter at safety and s sure-fire first round pick. The Jets safety said simply “Whatever he wants to be, a doctor, a lawyer, whatever makes him happy. That’s what I want, for him to be happy and taken care of.”And in turn, the second-year safety has settled in quite nicely with the Jets this year. He’s overcome some of the growing pains of being a rookie and now looks every bit the part of the first round pick from a season ago.

While at Louisville, Pryor III wore the full name in college – “it was important for me to wear my dad’s name and my grandad’s name. I like being a part of that tradition.” It is a tradition he now carries into every tackle, every play he makes in the NFL.“I just want to go out there and play the game, that’s what is fun,” Pryor III said. “That I get to do it with their names on my back just adds something to it.”Through five games this year, he is third on the Jets this year with 30 tackles. Last year in 16 appearances Pryor III had 60 tackles in his rookie season.

Clearly, ‘The Third’ is growing up nicely. 

>   http://www.metro.us/sports/for-calvin-pryor-iii-it-is-more-than-a-name/zsJojs---MfnpPkIXcMbgM/

• 3 weeks later...

-- Safety Calvin Pryor will miss a second consecutive game with an ankle injury when the New York Jets host the Jacksonville Jaguars on Sunday, and Jets coach Todd Bowles will have to figure out the best option to plug into his spot.When Pryor didn't make the trip to Oakland last Sunday, many observers expected Bowles to insert safety Dion Bailey, a former Seattle Seahawk, into Pryor's place. But Bowles instead chose to play backup cornerback Marcus Williams. The Jets' defense underperformed and missed tackles against the Raiders.

On Friday, Bowles said a decision had not been made as to who would play in Pryor's place this week.

"Not yet," he said. "We've got everybody taking reps. We'll sit down at the end of the day and look at today's practice and we'll make a decision."

Bailey was the starting strong safety for the Seahawks at the beginning of the season, while Kam Chancellor was holding out. He was cut by Seattle when Chancellor ended that holdout. The Jets claimed him off waivers and he stepped in to finish the game when Pryor went down against New England on Oct 25. However, he was beaten on a key third-down passing play as the Patriots came back to beat the Jets.Bailey said he has made progress since then. "I've definitely got a lot stronger grasp on the playbook, so I'll definitely be able to play faster, come Sunday," he said.Rontez Miles drew praise from Bowles and is a possibility to be elevated from the practice squad. "I took a lot of snaps this week, and whatever happens happens," Miles said. "If I'm up, I'll do my best to help contribute, try to get a victory. And if I'm not, it's the same thing, just keep working."

Besides Miles and Bailey, Bowles said Williams and cornerback Dee Milliner, who is on injured reserve and eligible to return, got looks in practice. However, Bowles said he didn't think it was likely the team would activate Milliner off injured reserve this week.

>      http://espn.go.com/blog/newyork-jets/post/_/id/55826/calvin-pryor-to-miss-another-game-jets-ponder-options-at-safety

• 2 weeks later...

-- The New York Jets' banged-up secondary is getting healthy.

Safety Calvin Pryor, sidelined three games with a high-ankle sprain, said Monday he expects to play Sunday against the Houston Texans. Cornerback Antonio Cromartie, who missed last Thursday night with a deep thigh bruise, is "doing a lot better than last week," Todd Bowles said Monday.

Maybe, just maybe, the Jets' secondary will be at full strength for the first time in a month.

"I'm sure I'm playing," Pryor said.

Bowles wasn't as confident, saying he wants to evaluate Pryor in practice Wednesday and Thursday before making a decision. The Jets, back from their mini-bye, conducted a light practice on Monday.They weren't required to submit an official injury report, but defensive end Sheldon Richardson (hamstring) didn't practice. He tweaked his hamstring against the Buffalo Bills, but returned after sitting out a few plays. Wide receivers Brandon Marshall (ankle, toe) and Eric Decker (shoulder) also sat out.

The Jets will play the Texans on nine days rest -- a much-needed break for a team with a growing injury report.

In other news, the team reinstated wide receiver Quincy Enunwa, who served a four-game suspension for violating the league's personal-conduct policy. It stemmed from a domestic-violence incident on Aug. 31, 2014. They have a roster exemption for Enunwa, but he will be activated by the end of the week. They can make room by placing running back Zac Stacy (ankle surgery) on injured reserve.

>    http://espn.go.com/blog/newyork-jets/post/_/id/56175/s-calvin-pryor-could-return-to-jets-injury-plagued-secondary

–- With T.J. Yates starting his first game at quarterback since 2011 and no Arian Foster to worry about, safety Calvin Pryor knows what this Sunday means for the New York Jets when they face the Houston Texans.“This is a must-win game,” Pryor said. “We know what we are up against. We have to go out there and get the job done. We had a great week of practice. Preparation is key. It doesn’t matter who is playing for them, at this point it is about what we do.

The Jets (5-4) have lost three of their last four games.

“Each week is a must-win but we know what we are up against," said Pryor. "We are in the playoff hunt and we can’t have any setbacks. This is a crucial game for us.”And Pryor plans on having a say in helping his team try to get that must-have victory. After missing three straight weeks with an ankle injury, Pryor is set to return to strengthen the back of the Jets’ defense.“I just want my presence felt,” Pryor said. “Just going out there and being noticed (and Houston) guys be like, ‘OK, we got to watch out for (No.) 25.’ I felt like I was playing good football (before the injury).”

Pryor had 36 combined tackles, one interception and one forced fumble in his first six games before injuring his ankle. He hasn’t played since the Jets lost to the New England Patriots on Oct. 25.Despite being out for nearly a month, Pryor said he feels like a different player and person this season. Last season, the first-round pick had a difficult time adjusting to the NFL. He said understanding the defense, missed meetings and a lack of maturity were reasons for his rookie struggles.“Maturity, maturity,” Pryor said when asked the difference between him from last season to this season. “Not being late to meetings. And not doing things the wrong way, you know. I feel like that's the biggest thing.”

Last season, Pryor, who was picked 18th overall out of Louisville, said he repeatedly tried to turn his rookie season around and be more professional.“I was telling myself that each week, but nothing was changing,” said Pryor, who had 60 tackles in 16 games last season. “And I took that upon myself to make sure I do the right things week in and week out on an everyday basis. Being a rookie in the NFL, (with it) comes a lot, something you are not used to. Experience helps. Going through this helped me be a better man, a better person and a better player on and off the field.”

Pryor was asked if the missed meetings was just due to sleeping in.“Yeah, basically,” Pryor said. “I am not really trying to focus on last year.”What finally got Pryor to change was a stern talk late in the season from his father. The safety said his father had seen enough.“I only looked up to one person my whole life and that is my dad,” Pryor said. “Me and him had a talk and he just told me I have to get my stuff together like he’s always told me. I just took it and ran with it.“I came back in and I felt I was playing pretty good football at the end of the season,” Pryor added. “And that rolled over into this year before I got hurt.”

Jets coach Todd Bowles didn’t coach Pryor last season, but he has taken note of how Pryor has handled himself this season.“I can’t tell you the difference between last year because I didn’t coach him, but seeing him firsthand this year, I know there’s a maturity level that I respect about the kid,” Bowles said. “From the spring until now, he knows he’s learned some lessons from last year and I think every rookie does coming into the second year. He’s matured a lot. He’s a hard worker and I do know that about him.”And Pryor knows that he has to help his team get a crucial win against Yates, who is replacing the injured Brian Hoyer (concussion), and the Texans on Sunday in Houston.

“It is a must-win game for us,” Pryor said. “You can’t go out there slacking or starting off slow. They do have a great defense. Their offense has guys that are pretty good weapons. DeAndre (Hopkins) and other guys like Nate (Washington) can get the job done. So we have to play our A-game.”

>    http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/56327/calvin-pryor-its-a-must-win-game-for-the-jets-against-houston

• 3 weeks later...

-- Dallas Cowboys wide receiver Dez Bryant is coming off one of his worst games as a pro -- one catch, nine yards and two drops in rainy conditions last Sunday in Green Bay. He's still an immense talent, but he hasn't looked the same since returning from a broken foot, according to New York Jets safety Calvin Pryor.

"Tremendous athlete," Pryor said Wednesday. "I think he's not looked the same since he had his foot injury, but he's still a playmaker as well. Any time you have an injury, it's kind of hard to bounce back, but he's still doing what he does. Darrelle Revis is going to have to cover him, with the help of us guys. It's going to be a tough matchup, but we're looking forward to the challenge."

Bryant broke his right foot in the season-opening win against the New York Giants. He required surgery and missed five games.

"Sometimes, he catches the ball and he gets downfield, (but) I don't think he has the same closing speed," Pryor said. "But not to say that won't happen against us. That's just some things I've seen on film. He's still a tough cover. People are still game planning for him, just like we are. So it's still Dez Bryant."The Jets (8-5) face the Cowboys (4-9) on Saturday night, a critical game for the Jets. The Dallas offense is woeful in large part because of the quarterback situation. You might have heard, Tony Romo (broken collarbone) is out, and Matt Cassel is in -- barely.

Obviously, Bryant has been greatly affected by the quarterback upheaval. In five games since returning from foot surgery, he has only 22 receptions for 303 yards and two touchdowns.

>     http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/57138/jets-s-calvin-pryor-says-post-injury-dez-bryant-has-lost-closing-speed

-- Dallas Cowboys wide receiver Dez Bryant is coming off one of his worst games as a pro -- one catch, nine yards and two drops in rainy conditions last Sunday in Green Bay. He's still an immense talent, but he hasn't looked the same since returning from a broken foot, according to New York Jets safety Calvin Pryor.

"Tremendous athlete," Pryor said Wednesday. "I think he's not looked the same since he had his foot injury, but he's still a playmaker as well. Any time you have an injury, it's kind of hard to bounce back, but he's still doing what he does. Darrelle Revis is going to have to cover him, with the help of us guys. It's going to be a tough matchup, but we're looking forward to the challenge."

Bryant broke his right foot in the season-opening win against the New York Giants. He required surgery and missed five games.

"Sometimes, he catches the ball and he gets downfield, (but) I don't think he has the same closing speed," Pryor said. "But not to say that won't happen against us. That's just some things I've seen on film. He's still a tough cover. People are still game planning for him, just like we are. So it's still Dez Bryant."The Jets (8-5) face the Cowboys (4-9) on Saturday night, a critical game for the Jets. The Dallas offense is woeful in large part because of the quarterback situation. You might have heard, Tony Romo (broken collarbone) is out, and Matt Cassel is in -- barely.

Obviously, Bryant has been greatly affected by the quarterback upheaval. In five games since returning from foot surgery, he has only 22 receptions for 303 yards and two touchdowns.

>     http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/57138/jets-s-calvin-pryor-says-post-injury-dez-bryant-has-lost-closing-speed

Click bait title by Cimini. And it almost worked. 

Over 16 games that is 70 for 970 and 6.  Sounds like an injured play with a horrible QB.  Basically during his bad stretch he equates to 2014 Eric Decker.

Youngmisuk_Ohm_m.jpg

Ohm Youngmisuk ESPN Staff Writer 

Todd Bowles on Calvin Pryor suggesting that Dez Bryant might've lost a step: "Dez being slow is like LeBron James being slow. You're going to get something from him." Adds Pryor is like a "son" still learning what and when to say things.

Funny part is all the internet GMs who gave all of us who knew the guy was playing out of position proving once again that patience with draft picks is a requirement and too many don't have it

Meh, the kid looked awful last year and in this preseason.  Out of position be damned.  Being out position doesnt mean you forget how tackle, take terrible angles and and get lost coverage, all the friggin time.  This was happening even when he was being used properly.  He looked like Milliner did his rookie season.  No fundamentals, just a pure athlete that had zero instincts, fundamentals or discipline.  

I loved the pick and couldnt believe the player we had on the field last season.  He literally looked like he never had to tackle someone in his life.  He was being outplayed by UDFA's and castoffs.  Thank god he turned it around because the kid is a beast and absolutely crucial to this D.  I think his turn around has a lot more to do with maturity and figuring out the speed of the NFL but more importantly the presence of Revis, Cro, Skrine and Gilchrist than it does playing a different position.  

Kid is awesome though.  He's a tone setter.  A game changer.  Just like Rex said he would be. :)

Meh, the kid looked awful last year and in this preseason.  Out of position be damned.  Being out position doesnt mean you forget how tackle, take terrible angles and and get lost coverage, all the friggin time.  This was happening even when he was being used properly.  He looked like Milliner did his rookie season.  No fundamentals, just a pure athlete that had zero instincts, fundamentals or discipline.  

I loved the pick and couldnt believe the player we had on the field last season.  He literally looked like he never had to tackle someone in his life.  He was being outplayed by UDFA's and castoffs.  Thank god he turned it around because the kid is a beast and absolutely crucial to this D.  I think his turn around has a lot more to do with maturity and figuring out the speed of the NFL but more importantly the presence of Revis, Cro, Skrine and Gilchrist than it does playing a different position.  

Kid is awesome though.  He's a tone setter.  A game changer.  Just like Rex said he would be. :)

Meh, still comes down to people having to realize he was a rookie playing out of positions.  We all knew it, some underestimated the effect it has on a player, more so to a rookie. .  Talk about a lack of fundamentals, missed tackles, angles and to think that playing a different position for anyone, never mind a rookie is no big deal and is no excuse.  He was out of position, there were issues with the D and communication.  All the explaining in the world doesnt change that patience should have been the word and it was wrong to call him a bust off of his rookie season. 

You're right, he's been awesome, all that you could ask for in a S and a 1st pick.  A huge hit, like the one in the Dolphin game, sure can shake things up and set the tone.  

Archived